HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Offers for Leopold

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2005, 07:34 AM
calgarylen13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
There is a big difference between Leopold and Lydman for trade value.

#1 - Leopold makes UNDER 1 million.
#2 He is younger and has a better projection talent wise.
#3 - He is farther away from UFA status.
Sure but you'll recognize i'm not saying a mid round pick for Leopold...I said a legitimate NHLer, 2nd/3rd line, I was merely using Lydman as a benchmark. Like if I were to say "if Lydman got a mid round pick, Commodore deserved a 7th round pick"...as opposed to Lydman and Leopold are at all similar. (as you're right they're two different cases)

I still don't think Lydman had much value on the trade market as he does to remain with us.

Last edited by calgarylen13: 10-27-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old
10-27-2005, 01:30 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
There is a big difference between Leopold and Lydman for trade value.

#1 - Leopold makes UNDER 1 million.
#2 He is younger and has a better projection talent wise.
#3 - He is farther away from UFA status.
I don't think Leopold makes under 1 million, he makes about 1.15 on average for the next two years I believe.

Old
10-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Good gosh that is an overpayment! Ossi V. is a total stud.

Sorry to come down on you like this Darth, but,

I really wish people would watch more current games before coming to these kind of conclusions. Vaananen looks topped out right now, and I'm sure Avs fans would agree that most other teams' fans on this board thinks he is a lot better than he really is. Vaananen is a solid #4 man, but that's all he is, and it's getting pretty grim as to his prospects at getting much better. He's young yeah, but far, far from a stud.

Old
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
... after his first full NHL campeign? (just less then 2 seasons of NHL?)

When exactly was he supposed to "break out offensively" ? His rookie season?
We've seen him for a little while now, and I think the one thing that breaks out at you is that his talent level is not quite comparable to some of the higher-scoring guys like him (Marek Zidlicky, J-M Liles, Sergei Zubov, other high-scoring under 6-0 defensemen). I do not mean to slam Leopold at all here, all I'm saying is that I think that we've seen enough of him to know that he's not going to be a top 2 man on any great D-corps in this league. He can however be a solid #3 scoring man, or if you want to shuffle him down to #4 too, that works.

Old
10-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
We've seen him for a little while now, and I think the one thing that breaks out at you is that his talent level is not quite comparable to some of the higher-scoring guys like him (Marek Zidlicky, J-M Liles, Sergei Zubov, other high-scoring under 6-0 defensemen). I do not mean to slam Leopold at all here, all I'm saying is that I think that we've seen enough of him to know that he's not going to be a top 2 man on any great D-corps in this league. He can however be a solid #3 scoring man, or if you want to shuffle him down to #4 too, that works.
You know I respect your opinion Miz, but I think you've lost track of time with the lockout and the lengthy Flames playoff run. He actually hasn't been around that long, it only appears so because of the two, and the fact that he's quite talked about. I can't possibly see how we've seen him for a little while now.

Leopold has been a regular top 4 defenseman for just under one season now, what do you expect?

Old
10-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
You know I respect your opinion Miz, but I think you've lost track of time with the lockout and the lengthy Flames playoff run. He actually hasn't been around that long, it only appears so because of the two, and the fact that he's quite talked about. I can't possibly see how we've seen him for a little while now.

Leopold has been a regular top 4 defenseman for just under one season now, what do you expect?
150 NHL regular season games, 26 playoff games, and a gaggle of exhibition matches. No, it's not a huge pool, fair enough, but it's enough to get a feel for the kid.

Just my opinion though, I don't think he's going to get much better. I've been wrong many times before.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush5Collapse5
Leopold was taken in the 2nd round, finished with a point total of 33 in 04 during a Cinderella Calgary run, and is pointless in 10 games this season so far. It isn't rocket science to understand he isn't worth a "HUGE" return.
Yeah, you're right, he's off to a slow start. Let's take your way of thinking to its logical extreme. Maybe Leopold's true value is "a poor man's Phil Russell." Those fools in Colorado Springs had better not dare have his name on the short list to jet to Turin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13
I don't suspect that Leopold would get us back more than a mediocre 2nd liner/quality 3rd liner.
The kind of remark that would be expected from someone, who mused about the possibility of signing Mariusz Czerkawski to a FA deal on a Daryl Sutter-coached team.

Old
10-29-2005, 04:07 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The kind of remark that would be expected from someone, who mused about the possibility of signing Mariusz Czerkawski to a FA deal on a Daryl Sutter-coached team.
And that kind of remark I would expect from someone who cannot stand anyones opinion other than their own.

As far as i'm concerned Czerkawski would still be valuable to our team, but I dunno maybe you prefer the fact we have an offence which isn't performing. I'm not saying Czerkawski is the solution but heck, he's got more chance of putting the puck in the net than over half the team...think about it, before trying to instigate another argument with me (as you've done in the past)...i'm not interested in your childishness

Old
10-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Daily Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Yeah, you're right, he's off to a slow start. Let's take your way of thinking to its logical extreme. Maybe Leopold's true value is "a poor man's Phil Russell." Those fools in Colorado Springs had better not dare have his name on the short list to jet to Turin!
Ah a "glass half full" optimist for one season wonders I see. Faith abound!

Never said he was horrible, just not worth trading away a franchise bluechip for upside alone. Leopold was never quite the same after he got conked in the WC. If Calgary continues to be offense starved and wants to pull the trigger with JL in the chamber, I just hope he didn't get Lindros'd so hard he forgot how to find his game with fresh start somewhere else.

RoyIsALegend used the words "HUGE return!" Like he was already a perrenial Norris winner. I only hoped to take that Enron-esque expectation down a bit. I know Leopold is worth more than "a poor man's Phil Russell."

-

Old
10-29-2005, 05:10 AM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13
And that kind of remark I would expect from someone who cannot stand anyones opinion other than their own.

As far as i'm concerned Czerkawski would still be valuable to our team, but I dunno maybe you prefer the fact we have an offence which isn't performing. I'm not saying Czerkawski is the solution but heck, he's got more chance of putting the puck in the net than over half the team...think about it, before trying to instigate another argument with me (as you've done in the past)...i'm not interested in your childishness
reread you post when your sober then clue in . Czerkawski's name on a Sutter team is Laughable to say the least . The Flames Anchor on the blue line will be back in in a couple of weeks .Regehr and Leo's chemistry from 2003 2004 will continue i believe.

Old
10-29-2005, 05:39 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko
reread you post when your sober then clue in . Czerkawski's name on a Sutter team is Laughable to say the least . The Flames Anchor on the blue line will be back in in a couple of weeks .Regehr and Leo's chemistry from 2003 2004 will continue i believe.
Reread my posts and you'll see I never put forward Czerkawski's name here, I never once said Czerkawski was an adequate/fair replacement for Leopold...not once!

If I did, you'd have every reason to make a negative comment, but I just backed my stance that he would be a better option up front than half of what we have.

Everyone is quick to past judgement on what a "Sutter" player is...but you'll notice that his team isn't all the exact same players. I remember a post in the game day thread the other day about a "team of Shean Donovans", not wishing to pick on who made this post, but its true we have much of the same player. Czerkawski is a player who can put the puck into the net, that was my argument, ages ago i might mention, and thats one thing the Flames certainly do need...you can't deny that, whether its laughable the concept of him playing for Sutter or not.

Is Matt Lombardi a "Sutter player"? I'd argue he isn't.

You'll also read, with the case at hand I think Leopold has much more valuable remaining a part of the Flames, and not going elsewhere...so maybe you should do the re-reading.

That said we certainly do need to do something about the scoring problem, and bickering will not resolve it. An offence as it currently stands will struggle to make the playoffs, let alone stand a chance to repeat the success of our Cup run.

Old
10-29-2005, 06:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
Can we please tone down the agressive speech please

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
10-29-2005, 07:36 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
I've not read the 145'785 pages of this thread so sorry if it was already proposed but as a Devils fan, I'd offer Scott Gomez for Jordan Leopold straight up.

If you'd refuse, I'd still try to negociate around that.

If you'd refuse anyway I'd try with a gun on the table, just to show you don't have choice anyway.

I'm sure we'd find a deal.

Old
10-29-2005, 08:04 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykie
I've not read the 145'785 pages of this thread so sorry if it was already proposed but as a Devils fan, I'd offer Scott Gomez for Jordan Leopold straight up.

If you'd refuse, I'd still try to negociate around that.

If you'd refuse anyway I'd try with a gun on the table, just to show you don't have choice anyway.

I'm sure we'd find a deal.
I'd be wrapped with a deal like that, and its very fair (for the Flames). I think Devils fans would feel they are giving up too much.

Our only problem is we aren't so strong in D that we can mess with it at the moment. The days of having 6 solid D-men plus Montador and Commodore are gone unfortunately . But that said i'm sure we could make a move to acquire a capable D-man to make such a deal work.

Old
10-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
I'd throw Matvichuk in here with no hesitation.

Gomez + Matvichuk vs Leopold.

But I'm not sure you could take so much salaries.

Old
10-29-2005, 08:12 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Can we please tone down the agressive speech please
I agree, its supposed to be a trade proposals board, not a shooting gallery.

I'm sorry for my part in it

Old
10-29-2005, 10:03 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

MIN: Voloshenko and a 4th
Cal: Leo and a 6th

Leopold playing in Minny = utterly heavenly

Old
10-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush5Collapse5
Never said he was horrible, just not worth trading away a franchise bluechip for upside alone. Leopold was never quite the same after he got conked in the WC. -
Or maybe because his regular defense partner, Robyn Regehr, is out with in injury and Leopold isn't as comfertable rushing the puck without him?

I wouldn't expect you to clue into it, but Leopold has been far more hesitant to rush the puck than last year. The concussion was not a problem, as he was healthy and ready a month later; and by all indications in his own zone, Leopold can battle for the puck just fine. Its his offensive game that he's been hesitant in, and that can easily be justified that he is concerned more with his own zone without the reliability of Regehr.

Old
10-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
MIN: Voloshenko and a 4th
Cal: Leo and a 6th

Wow, just wow. In simple terms, no.

Calgary could get an current NHL-ready impact player in return for Leopold, preferably someone on the left side. This deal is one Calgary should just back away from.

Closed Thread