HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Reid proposal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2003, 12:10 PM
  #1
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 50
Reid proposal.

Brandon Reid, from my understanding, is still a little mad at not making the Canucks this year. Atlanta Thrashers are said to be "beating the bushes" for some cheap NHL scoreres now that Heatley is gone for the year. Both GM and coach, last season at least, made public mention that Reid "is a great young hockey talent...and could play for them anytime." (I believe these statements were made after a Canuck/Thrasher game).

Anyways...what would it take for Atlanta to pry away Reid from the
Canucks? Maybe a 3rd rounder??? Would Burke be willing to part with him? IMO Bouck and Morrison both get recalled before Reid right now.

Peter is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 12:54 PM
  #2
galiano
Registered User
 
galiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: why do you ask ?
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Brandon Reid, from my understanding, is still a little mad at not making the Canucks this year. Atlanta Thrashers are said to be "beating the bushes" for some cheap NHL scoreres now that Heatley is gone for the year. Both GM and coach, last season at least, made public mention that Reid "is a great young hockey talent...and could play for them anytime." (I believe these statements were made after a Canuck/Thrasher game).

Anyways...what would it take for Atlanta to pry away Reid from the
Canucks? Maybe a 3rd rounder??? Would Burke be willing to part with him? IMO Bouck and Morrison both get recalled before Reid right now.

Reid won't be moved. The Canucks brass know he can play in the NHL and it will only take the right circumstance before he's back in a Canuck uniform. I can see Bouck being recalled before Reid only if someone like Cooke is injured. As to Morrison - forget it. He was a scorer in the ECHL but hasn't proven anything in the AHL nor did he show much at training camp. He's way down the depth chart.

galiano is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 01:07 PM
  #3
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Brandon Reid, from my understanding, is still a little mad at not making the Canucks this year. Atlanta Thrashers are said to be "beating the bushes" for some cheap NHL scoreres now that Heatley is gone for the year. Both GM and coach, last season at least, made public mention that Reid "is a great young hockey talent...and could play for them anytime." (I believe these statements were made after a Canuck/Thrasher game).

Anyways...what would it take for Atlanta to pry away Reid from the
Canucks? Maybe a 3rd rounder??? Would Burke be willing to part with him? IMO Bouck and Morrison both get recalled before Reid right now.
Reid's untouchable...

Actually, considering he's one of our only prospects who has some upside as a scorer or playmaker, I wouldn't be too eager to move him. He's still young (only 22 I think) and could use some more development in the minors anyways. I say we let him play most of the season in the minors, but give him a callup or two with the big club. Then if he's good enough next season, clear Lindgren out of town. Don't really like that Lindgren... :mad:

 
Old
10-09-2003, 01:55 PM
  #4
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
Reid's untouchable...

Actually, considering he's one of our only prospects who has some upside as a scorer or playmaker, I wouldn't be too eager to move him. He's still young (only 22 I think) and could use some more development in the minors anyways. I say we let him play most of the season in the minors, but give him a callup or two with the big club. Then if he's good enough next season, clear Lindgren out of town. Don't really like that Lindgren... :mad:
Then you must not have watched the Canucks play very much. His injury left a huge hole during the play-offs.

With Lindgren on the penalty kill the Canucks were the top PK in the league through December, when he went down they plummetted finishing 12th and were the second worst in the play-offs. He also scored two shorthanded goals in 54 games (second on the team) and had the best face-off percentage of all regulars (Bradon Reid was better but only played a few games). This put too much pressure on Morrison and he was worn down during the post-season. Adding Keane and Arvedsson to Lindgren's abilities should greatly improve the PK.

Lindgren won't be going anywhere assuming his back does not act up again. Burke has referred to him as a premier PK forward on several ocassions and Crawford has praised his defense and face-off skills. If he is healthy, he plays and stays.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 01:59 PM
  #5
xtra
Registered User
 
xtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
I will tell you this: How about this trade:

Since Heatley is probabbly going to jail for about 3+ yrs this wouldn't be a bad deal:


The Rights to Dany Heatley
for

Reid and Van 2nd 2005


:p

xtra is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 02:28 PM
  #6
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra
I will tell you this: How about this trade:

Since Heatley is probabbly going to jail for about 3+ yrs this wouldn't be a bad deal:


The Rights to Dany Heatley
for

Reid and Van 2nd 2005


:p
I'd cheer very loudly if you had the guts to put that on the main board...

I guess it would be considered "spamming" though. Darn!

 
Old
10-09-2003, 02:34 PM
  #7
evman150*
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Don't really know why anybody would want him, but I'd say a 3rd or 4th rounder would be more than enough.

Canuck fans overrate him, and I don't blame them at all, as he is one of their top prospects, albeit a mediocre one.

evman150* is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 02:35 PM
  #8
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
Then you must not have watched the Canucks play very much. His injury left a huge hole during the play-offs.

With Lindgren on the penalty kill the Canucks were the top PK in the league through December, when he went down they plummetted finishing 12th and were the second worst in the play-offs. He also scored two shorthanded goals in 54 games (second on the team) and had the best face-off percentage of all regulars (Bradon Reid was better but only played a few games). This put too much pressure on Morrison and he was worn down during the post-season. Adding Keane and Arvedsson to Lindgren's abilities should greatly improve the PK.

Lindgren won't be going anywhere assuming his back does not act up again. Burke has referred to him as a premier PK forward on several ocassions and Crawford has praised his defense and face-off skills. If he is healthy, he plays and stays.
I never said Lindgren wasn't a useful player. That would be very ignorant.

In fact, Lindgren is a very useful player. He did really help our penalty-killing and is good in the faceoff dot, but I don't like him as I said before. Just a bit of friendly advice: Be careful when you assume something about a poster. I just said I don't really like Lindgren not that he is a poor player nor someone the Canucks don't need.

Personally I don't think we'd miss him too terribly if we moved him out of town to make room for Reid, but I'm sure you aren't alone in those who would argue with me.

But...

Reid is a good player in his own right, and has NHL skills. So I think sooner or later, we'll either have to move him to the wing, clear a roster spot at center for him or trade him away for something else.

 
Old
10-09-2003, 02:59 PM
  #9
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Don't really know why anybody would want him, but I'd say a 3rd or 4th rounder would be more than enough.

Canuck fans overrate him, and I don't blame them at all, as he is one of their top prospects, albeit a mediocre one.
Overrated? I really don't know about that. Perhaps we do, but that's because we have very few half decent prospects. But I certainly don't consider him a mediocre prospect either. He had huge junior numbers, which I know won't sway you because so did other players who've done zilch in the NHL, but he's also had good numbers in the minors and scored 2 goals and 3 assists in 7 games of regular season play. I wouldn't consider that mediocre. That's pretty good actually considering he was playing on the third line with Trevor Letowski (Mr. Brick Hands himself) as a linemate. I really think he's a decent prospect, though not a super good prospect.

 
Old
10-09-2003, 03:29 PM
  #10
cyrisweb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
I tend to agree somewhat that Reid really has no place on this team.. He's not good enough to fit in on the top line second line is taken with Sedin.. and really he's not the kind of player to take on the 4th line role, and we have some solid depth there anyway with Chubarov, Lindgren, Kesler, and Smith. So that means to play Reid will have to play on the wing.. Right now Reid is good backup incase we have injuries but I don't think he will ever play for this team long term the way we are currently set up. He could be a throw in for a bigger trade down the road.

cyrisweb is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 04:04 PM
  #11
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,789
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
I tend to agree somewhat that Reid really has no place on this team.. He's not good enough to fit in on the top line second line is taken with Sedin.. and really he's not the kind of player to take on the 4th line role, and we have some solid depth there anyway with Chubarov, Lindgren, Kesler, and Smith. So that means to play Reid will have to play on the wing.. Right now Reid is good backup incase we have injuries but I don't think he will ever play for this team long term the way we are currently set up. He could be a throw in for a bigger trade down the road.

Sullivan was dumped/traded by two teams for being too small to play NHL hockey. In TO when he was in the NHL his numbers were not given due respect. He was never given a true chance until he got to Chicago.

Reid has Steve Sullivan written all over him. Dumping Reid now for a 4th rndr gives the Nucks next to nothing, problably just some minor league pick in the next draft. Why do it? Why not just hold on to Reid for another year and see what happens.

me2 is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 04:17 PM
  #12
cyrisweb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Why do it? Why not just hold on to Reid for another year and see what happens.
I never said we should just dump him for some draft pick. it's just because he doesn't fit with this team. Down the road closer to the playoffs, Burke is sure to start looking for some extra help for a good playoff push, and Reid could be used in that case.

cyrisweb is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 04:48 PM
  #13
LaVal
Registered User
 
LaVal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 500
you don't see many prospects traded straight across for picks unless the team is dumping the prospect.

why trade a prospect, who is closer to making the team for a pick that just puts you back in development time?

LaVal is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 04:50 PM
  #14
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Sullivan was dumped/traded by two teams for being too small to play NHL hockey. In TO when he was in the NHL his numbers were not given due respect. He was never given a true chance until he got to Chicago.

Reid has Steve Sullivan written all over him. Dumping Reid now for a 4th rndr gives the Nucks next to nothing, problably just some minor league pick in the next draft. Why do it? Why not just hold on to Reid for another year and see what happens.
Good call. I see Reid as a similar player to Sullivan, though he doesn't have Sullivan's grit and feistiness. He could definitely post similar numbers to Sullivan - he has a comparable skill level to Sullivan's - but cyrisweb also has a point. Reid doesn't really fit into our lineup. He's a natural center who should play on the top two lines because he's too small, not feisty or gritty enough or reliable enough in his own end to be a checking line forward.

Eventually Reid will either be moved or we'll have to clear up a roster spot for him. He has NHL-calibre skills, but we have to make room for him.

 
Old
10-09-2003, 05:13 PM
  #15
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Tradeing Reid right now makes absolutley no sense. He is on the verge if busting out. If he was a RW he would on Vancouver probably in place of Jason King.

I see a lot of determination in Reid, and he has massive amounts of raw skill. If you combine the 2 there is virtually no way he can fail. At this point i would label as a cant miss player. Someway he will be in the NHL in the next 2 years.

Sullivan is a good comparison that comes to mind.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 06:32 PM
  #16
Rageinthecage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
Tradeing Reid right now makes absolutley no sense. He is on the verge if busting out. If he was a RW he would on Vancouver probably in place of Jason King.

I see a lot of determination in Reid, and he has massive amounts of raw skill. If you combine the 2 there is virtually no way he can fail. At this point i would label as a cant miss player. Someway he will be in the NHL in the next 2 years.

Sullivan is a good comparison that comes to mind.
I disagree. Reid is very far from a "can't miss" prospect. I've read many a top 50 and even top 100 NHL prospect list, and Reid is nowhere to be found. Reid's NHL calibre attributes are speed and determination. His playmaking skills are good, but far from elite at this level. He's not a sniper at any level above junior. He won't even score 30 with the Moose, much less in the NHL. I haven't even brought up his lack of size. Steve Sullivan? A better comparison would be Marty Murray. Reid could make the NHL as a 3rd liner as defensive presence can be easily learned by a intelligent, hard working player such as this guy.

Rageinthecage is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 09:15 PM
  #17
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 500
Peter IMO your proposal has merit. Reid had a good chance to make the team this year and didn't. I doubt we could get a very high draft for him and don't think the Canucks would let him go for anthing past the third round. So it's unlikely that he will be moved.

One thing to be considered is that he's a favorite with the Moose and important to them. That makes it unlikely they would trade him for a draft. If they could trade him for a prospect that could help the Moose the trade would be more likely.

Also I see Reid as having moved down the depth chart and, as chrisweb points out, not really in a position to challenge for a postion on the team. May well be that the Canucks would pull up Ready or Kesler before Reid.

If the conclusion is that Reid will not make it here then a trade is approptiate. If the trade comes back to bite you in the ass... well that's the chance you take with any trade. If you followed the philosophy of not trading because you might get burnt you'd never make any trade.

orcatown is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 09:29 PM
  #18
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Peter IMO your proposal has merit. Reid had a good chance to make the team this year and didn't. I doubt we could get a very high draft for him and don't think the Canucks would let him go for anthing past the third round. So it's unlikely that he will be moved.

One thing to be considered is that he's a favorite with the Moose and important to them. That makes it unlikely they would trade him for a draft. If they could trade him for a prospect that could help the Moose the trade would be more likely.

Also I see Reid as having moved down the depth chart and, as chrisweb points out, not really in a position to challenge for a postion on the team. May well be that the Canucks would pull up Ready or Kesler before Reid.

If the conclusion is that Reid will not make it here then a trade is approptiate. If the trade comes back to bite you in the ass... well that's the chance you take with any trade. If you followed the philosophy of not trading because you might get burnt you'd never make any trade.
Thanks for the comments.

Here is my rational for moving Reid. He has fallen down the depht chart whether you like to hear it or not (you being the Canuck fans on this board). Reid can play in the NHL but there appears to be little room for him with the Canucks. Mr. Burke is not against trading a guy, who has NHL skill, but no longer fits his plans. It would be the "nice" thing to do for Reid's sake career wise. That said, Burke would not want to bolster the teams that he is fighting against for a playoff spot. That is why I suggested the Thrashers...that and how the Thrashers talked about him last year.

Peter is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 10:01 PM
  #19
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Thanks for the comments.

Here is my rational for moving Reid. He has fallen down the depht chart whether you like to hear it or not (you being the Canuck fans on this board). Reid can play in the NHL but there appears to be little room for him with the Canucks. Mr. Burke is not against trading a guy, who has NHL skill, but no longer fits his plans. It would be the "nice" thing to do for Reid's sake career wise. That said, Burke would not want to bolster the teams that he is fighting against for a playoff spot. That is why I suggested the Thrashers...that and how the Thrashers talked about him last year.
Not to be overly blunt about it, but dealing Reid for a pick accomplishes what exactly? It makes our farm team worse by unloading their top player. It weakens our organizational depth by getting rid of a young, inexpensive player who has proven he can be effective in the NHL when needed, and you know injuries will be inevitable for this team. It gets rid of an asset that could be used to help the team in other areas at the trading deadline. Mid-round draft picks do absolutely jack squat for this team right now.

Yeah, he had an iffy camp and might like an opportunity elsewhere, but so what? He's cheap, isn't waiver-eligable, has shown a solid amount of potential, and the team has nothing to gain and everything to lose by moving him for something as insignificant as a mid-round draft pick. Do I ever think he'll make a huge impact for this club? No, probably not, but he's a handy tool and quality depth and getting rid of guys like that for nothing that helps us in the short term doesn't exactly strike me as quality asset management.

MS is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 05:30 AM
  #20
jeffbrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
The return for Reid would have to be a warm body. Reid is capable of playing in the NHL now. And given a team like Atlanta, with not the deepest pool of talent, he probably could play right away on a 2nd or 3rd line.

Defnitely would not trade Reid for a draft pick and that doesn't mean I'm overrating him. It just means that Reid is capable of playing in the NHL with long range potential, and I just wouldn't trade him for a pick.

jeffbrown is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 06:34 AM
  #21
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageinthecage
I disagree. Reid is very far from a "can't miss" prospect. I've read many a top 50 and even top 100 NHL prospect list, and Reid is nowhere to be found. Reid's NHL calibre attributes are speed and determination. His playmaking skills are good, but far from elite at this level. He's not a sniper at any level above junior. He won't even score 30 with the Moose, much less in the NHL. I haven't even brought up his lack of size. Steve Sullivan? A better comparison would be Marty Murray. Reid could make the NHL as a 3rd liner as defensive presence can be easily learned by a intelligent, hard working player such as this guy.
How many players under 25 score 30 in the AHL?? Not many.

Reid gets no love from anyone, that is why he isnt ranked in those top 50's or 100's. He was passed over in almost 16 rds at the NHL draft.

The kid has been told he is too small his whole life, bottom line is he looked good in the NHL and is a very versatile player. That is what i meant as cant miss. I didnt mean Cant miss as in future 70 pt man. I meant he will play in the NHL in some capacity.

He has a good defensive game and if needed can be used in a PK/Energy line role.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 07:23 AM
  #22
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Not to be overly blunt about it, but dealing Reid for a pick accomplishes what exactly? It makes our farm team worse by unloading their top player. It weakens our organizational depth by getting rid of a young, inexpensive player who has proven he can be effective in the NHL when needed, and you know injuries will be inevitable for this team. It gets rid of an asset that could be used to help the team in other areas at the trading deadline. Mid-round draft picks do absolutely jack squat for this team right now.

Yeah, he had an iffy camp and might like an opportunity elsewhere, but so what? He's cheap, isn't waiver-eligable, has shown a solid amount of potential, and the team has nothing to gain and everything to lose by moving him for something as insignificant as a mid-round draft pick. Do I ever think he'll make a huge impact for this club? No, probably not, but he's a handy tool and quality depth and getting rid of guys like that for nothing that helps us in the short term doesn't exactly strike me as quality asset management.
You talk like Reid is the first call-up...like he just missed making the Canuck's roster. Both are far from the truth. Bouck and Kesler will be called up before Reid. Ready and Kavanaugh are likely either ahead or neck and neck with Reid. Reid may be our leading scorer on the farm but who cares...its all about getting the guys up to the main team. And quite frankly Reid has to beat out too many guys to make the Canucks. And like I said earlier Kesler will be given ice time with the Canucks even before Reid.

Peter is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 07:26 AM
  #23
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
You talk like Reid is the first call-up...like he just missed making the Canuck's roster. Both are far from the truth. Bouck and Kesler will be called up before Reid. Ready and Kavanaugh are likely either ahead or neck and neck with Reid. Reid may be our leading scorer on the farm but who cares...its all about getting the guys up to the main team. And quite frankly Reid has to beat out too many guys to make the Canucks. And like I said earlier Kesler will be given ice time with the Canucks even before Reid.
If Reid is behind all those guys why didnt the Canucks use Ready, Kavanagh or Bouck during last years playoffs?

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 07:29 AM
  #24
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
If Reid is behind all those guys why didnt the Canucks use Ready, Kavanagh or Bouck during last years playoffs?
Because a GM and a coach never makes decisions for their teams based upon the "what you have done for me in the past" motif. Instead it is the "what will you do for me now".

Peter is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 07:54 AM
  #25
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Because a GM and a coach never makes decisions for their teams based upon the "what you have done for me in the past" motif. Instead it is the "what will you do for me now".
]

I dont get your statement? Did you admit Reid is the better player???

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.