HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eaves or Bochenski?

View Poll Results: Who would you keep up?
Bochenski 40 49.38%
Eaves 41 50.62%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
Eaves or Bochenski?

The more I see of Eaves, the more I think he deserves to be up here on a full-time basis. I have yet to see Bochenski do anything (regular season) to warrant keeping him here on the top line over Eaves. Eaves seems to have good hands, he is a much better skater than Bo, and he can kill penalties to boot. I'm not turning on Bo, but I think if one of them is going to be sent down, Eaves is the wrong choice.

Simple question; who would you keep up if you could only keep one?

Old
10-25-2005, 04:19 PM
discostu

I went with Bochenski, but it was a tough choice.

I still want to be patient with Bo. We've seen him have that chemistry with Spezza and Heatley, and, he's done a decent job thus far, but, he hasn't met some of the lofty expectations many of us had after the pre-season. I think it's still worth investing the time into him. Clutch scoring is worth it's weight in gold, especially in the playoffs. I think we need to know what he can do.

Eaves has been good. I don't have many complaints, but, he still probably could use some seasoning in the AHL. He's come right out of college, which is a completely different game. He's looked pretty good out there, but, not spectacular or anything.

Still, there's a few more games before Havlat returns, so, there's no need to decide today. Maybe with some pressure on, Bochenski's play may improve. I'm still waiting for a big break-out game from him.

Still, it's a nice position to be in for a contending team, having too many good young rookies to make room for in the line-up.

Old
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I went with Bochenski, but it was a tough choice.

I still want to be patient with Bo. We've seen him have that chemistry with Spezza and Heatley, and, he's done a decent job thus far, but, he hasn't met some of the lofty expectations many of us had after the pre-season. I think it's still worth investing the time into him. Clutch scoring is worth it's weight in gold, especially in the playoffs. I think we need to know what he can do.

Eaves has been good. I don't have many complaints, but, he still probably could use some seasoning in the AHL. He's come right out of college, which is a completely different game. He's looked pretty good out there, but, not spectacular or anything.

Still, there's a few more games before Havlat returns, so, there's no need to decide today. Maybe with some pressure on, Bochenski's play may improve. I'm still waiting for a big break-out game from him.

Still, it's a nice position to be in for a contending team, having too many good young rookies to make room for in the line-up.
I don't want to give up on Bo or anything, but I just haven't seen anything "spectacular" out of him since the preseason. The guy did only play one season in the minors, so it is not like he couldn't use some more seasoning. It just seems to me that every game Eaves plays, he is the better of the 2. I have no doubt that the 2 players are an integral part of our future. But I do think that if Eaves continues to outplay Bo when he is called up, one of these times Bo will be taking the return trip to bingo.

Old
10-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Rico__Persson*

I didn't give up on Boch, since I never had any use for him in the first place.

In the preseason he played on a top NHL line against minor leaguers and veterans getting used to new equipment. He put a few cross crease passes in the net. A couple of tap-ins in front. Nothing that Vermette or Eaves couldn't have done.

Come on Spezza was feeding him, they were gifts. I could have wore rubber boots and kicked them in. Has any seen him do anything outside of the crease, you know the other 180 of 200 feet of ice???

Eaves impressed me. I didn't expect much. He plays a complete game and can play defence. I think Ottawa needs some defensively responsible players out there, since this year they can not seem to hold a lead. Maybe they need Jack Martin.

Eaves is better than Bochenski. Forget the minor hockey preseason.

Old
10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

I think it's pretty close. Both guys have some strengths and weaknesses to their game. But the fact that Bochenski made this team right out of camp over Eaves says something.

Old
10-25-2005, 06:28 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I give the edge to Eaves because of his versatility. He can play on the top two lines or play on a checking line. If Bochenski isn't on a scoring line, he can't do much else.

Old
10-25-2005, 07:03 PM
nneate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
I give the edge to Eaves because of his versatility. He can play on the top two lines or play on a checking line. If Bochenski isn't on a scoring line, he can't do much else.
Thats my reasoning as well, I think my expectations were high on B.Bo after the pre season, I still havn't given up on him, but I'm much more impressed with Eaves at this point.

Eaves has shown great chemistry with Alfie, Bochenski has shown great chemistry with Spezza+Heater. With our need of establishing some secondary scoring I think giving Alfie someone else to play with is more important.

Murray really hasn't shuffled the lines around a whole lot though, I don't think we've seen enough of Bochenski in other situations without the Spezz dispenser

Old
10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Rico__Persson*

Good late push by Eaves in the poll.

I got $10 on him...daddy needs a new pair of pants...

Old
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Eaves for sure. A player like him could really use the NHL experience to develop both on the ice, but maybe more importantly, off the ice too. Since he's a physical player (much like Fisher/Schaefer..maybe with a little more offense), he could really benefit from the big club's workouts.

Bochenski has left me a bit dissapointed. In my opinion, he should try to repeat last year in the AHL without Spezza. If he succeeds then give him his shot. But when you're not scoring, you're really doing nothing for the team. Havlat/Alfy would be a much better fit on that 1st line.

Old
10-25-2005, 10:58 PM
burgess1978

I would keep Bochenski until at least the 20 game mark.

Eaves will undoubtedly get recalled again but I guess the team wants to see him get more ice time in Bingo rather than being stuck on the lower lines when Havlat and Fisher return.

If I went looking I could probably find posts from every single one of you guys saying something like "we need another true left winger on this team". Guess what? You have a left winger. Give him a chance.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978
I would keep Bochenski until at least the 20 game mark.

Eaves will undoubtedly get recalled again but I guess the team wants to see him get more ice time in Bingo rather than being stuck on the lower lines when Havlat and Fisher return.

If I went looking I could probably find posts from every single one of you guys saying something like "we need another true left winger on this team". Guess what? You have a left winger. Give him a chance.
Bochenski isn't a natural left winger. He played right wing in college and in Binghamton last year. He and Heatley are switching around this year it seems.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:30 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Bochenski isn't a natural left winger. He played right wing in college and in Binghamton last year. He and Heatley are switching around this year it seems.
I know they are switching at times, but I didn't say 'natural' left winger. He has played more left wing than Smolinski, Fisher and Vermette so he should be more comfortable there.

IMO Spezza (being right-handed) should have a left-handed right winger (Heatley). Look at Yashin in NY. It's taken them 3 years and a bunch of right-handed wingers (Hunter, Parrish, Asham, Weinhandl) to figure out that a right-handed centre passing on his backhand is better suited to a lefty receiving the pass (now they've got Satan and they've got chemistry).

The point in all my ramble is that I think Heatley should be on the right and you should have a righty (Alfredsson, Smolinski, Neil, Eaves or Bochenski) on the left. Bo is better suited for this job right now than Eaves - so I'd keep him up.

Old
10-26-2005, 01:17 AM
Human Megaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I voted for Bo because I think your current pants are fine and you're just being greedy.

Seriously though, its pretty close in my books, but I've always like Bo and I think he needs some more games (like to 20) for us too see him for real. Does it matter from a contract point of view? I know Eaves was a first rounder, does he have a bigger contract with the parent club? If he does then my vote for Bo is even stronger. We need all the cap room we can get for the trade deadline.

Old
10-26-2005, 07:13 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney
I don't want to give up on Bo or anything, but I just haven't seen anything "spectacular" out of him since the preseason. The guy did only play one season in the minors, so it is not like he couldn't use some more seasoning. It just seems to me that every game Eaves plays, he is the better of the 2. I have no doubt that the 2 players are an integral part of our future. But I do think that if Eaves continues to outplay Bo when he is called up, one of these times Bo will be taking the return trip to bingo.
I do agree that Bo has to look over his shoulder right now, but, as of our team needs right now, I much rather put the investment in Bochenski. If he does start showing the goal-scoring ability he has shown from pre-season, and from last year, and really, his entire career, that will be much more valuable to us. Eaves is good, but, his role is more of a utility forward. An important need, but, one that can be filled in any number of ways.

Bochenski is a goal scorer. If we can get him to start lighting it up, we are a much bigger offensive threat. It's much harder to add goal-scoring in the line-up, without adding big salary. If we can get Bochenski to do the job for us, come trade deadline time, we can focus our needs on other issues.

Give it some more games. By mid-December, I think we'll know how Bochenski's adjusted his game. If he's connecting a lot better, he'll have secured his spot. If not, Eaves is right there, to take his turn with the big club. Plus, injuries are still a part of the game, and, Eaves is clearly the first guy to be called up (particularly since he is so versatile).

Old
10-26-2005, 07:52 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
Good late push by Eaves in the poll.

$10 won't get you much. Stick with your current pants (unless they were in the $10 price range in the first place).

I took Bochenski as well. I wanted to give him at least 15-20 games to assert himself. He'll get a second look at divisional rivals and some of the nervous jitters which can affect a scorer's timing should have worn off by then if he's for real.

That said, Eaves has been terrific. Murray was on the radio last night and made mention that Eaves could be more of a permanent fixture in the second half.

Old
10-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Lonnie Loach

Eaves has been getting better as the competition has become more difficult, which is the mark of a real player. Bo has been going in the opposite direction: great in the pre-season (especially the first half), but struggling when the competition heats up. In the absence of Eaves, I'd keep Bo around for a longer look. But in no way do I think he should be here over Eaves.

Old
10-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Bileur

I voted Eaves cause I'd like to see him up for a few more. The thing is that Bo needs a longer time to adjust, I have no problem giving him that but when Eaves comes up and plays to way he's played, showing great chemistry with Alfie along the way (which as its been said could be good for our secondary scoring). Plus i've been hoping Havlat would get a shot on that top line, I remeber the amazing chemistry he also had with Spezza and i've been wondering if it would extend to Heater too. If those three Havlat and Heatley could get the same chemistry going between each other that we see from both with Spezza we could have some magic on our hands, the best line in hockey perhaps. But... for now I see the use of letting Bo do his thing, Eaves will get another shot soon enough.

Old
10-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
$10 won't get you much. Stick with your current pants (unless they were in the $10 price range in the first place).
phhff....you should see them.

I'm off to Value Village to do some early Christmas shopping.

Closed Thread