HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Chris Neil Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

vCash: 500
The Chris Neil Thread

My god, I want to be the first to congratulate Neil on his hard work over the past year. When we last saw Hockey Neil was barely a middleweigh 4th line fighter. This season he has shown up from day 1 with an intensity and desire to play like an NHL rookie.

I know his girlfriend and she says he worked on his skating and shot so much last year because he wanted to be known as more than just a fighter. I've met him a couple of times out at bars and he was always happy to buy us all drinks.

I saw on the line-up thread that someone put him on the 1st line While I don't think he's quite there yet I think the team should give him every oppertunity to succeed and prove himself since Neil has always been there to support the team and his teammates.

Old
10-26-2005, 01:35 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

It's good to see Neil play with such intensity, but at the end of the day, he still is a 4th liner, maybe 3rd liner, nothing more. All his goals have been tap-ins. That's great that he is finishing, but I see it as more of a reflection of others not going to the net as much as they could. I still think its imperative to put Havlat on the number 1 powerplay unit when he returns. We used to stack it up before with Hossa-Havlat-Bonk, we should go back to the mentality now. Schaefer-Smolinski-Vermette-Bochenski-Neil-Fisher-Neil can alternate on the 2nd unit. I think they need to dump Pothier from the point and put Chara playing right defence on the PP where he seems to get a better release on his shot. Maybe goalies find it harder to see, but I've noticed his shot not getting through as much on the left hand side.

Old
10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Neil definately has improved this season. His skating looks better and he's getting a chance on the first power play unit. I always thought he had decent hands for a tough guy, and he's showing them this season. That being said, he still has trouble getting the puck out of his own end. I'd like to see the preseason line of Schaefer - Fisher - Neil put together again soon.

Old
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead
I think they need to dump Pothier from the point and put Chara playing right defence on the PP where he seems to get a better release on his shot. Maybe goalies find it harder to see, but I've noticed his shot not getting through as much on the left hand side.
They seem to like Pothier back there, I think because he can rush the puck.

Personally I'd like to see Meszaros and Chara back there. They're both saavy and can either pass or shoot.

Old
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Human Megaphone

I don't care if his hands are only mediocre. If he can tap in goals while standing in front of the net and getting beaten then we may have finally found one of the guys we've been looking for. Heck, put him on LW and we could all stop posting for awhile. I am not convinced it won't be same old bulls_it in the playoffs. We need someone who can stand in front of the net and tap in the easy ones. That's why I like Bo and that's why I love Neil.

If he had been used this way last season we might have gotten to Belfour. If our powerplay suffers a bit in the regular season, so be it.

Old
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
nneate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead
It's good to see Neil play with such intensity, but at the end of the day, he still is a 4th liner, maybe 3rd liner, nothing more. All his goals have been tap-ins. That's great that he is finishing, but I see it as more of a reflection of others not going to the net as much as they could. I still think its imperative to put Havlat on the number 1 powerplay unit when he returns. We used to stack it up before with Hossa-Havlat-Bonk, we should go back to the mentality now. Schaefer-Smolinski-Vermette-Bochenski-Neil-Fisher-Neil can alternate on the 2nd unit. I think they need to dump Pothier from the point and put Chara playing right defence on the PP where he seems to get a better release on his shot. Maybe goalies find it harder to see, but I've noticed his shot not getting through as much on the left hand side.
I dont know, I've seen Neil showcase a pretty nice set of hands lately, something I never thought he had in him last season.

He deserves all the credit and confidence found in him.

And I sure hope it continues

Old
10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Rico__Persson*

Since when was Neil known as a fighter?

I will continue to call this a phase that will not last the season.

Old
10-26-2005, 05:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
I don't care if his hands are only mediocre. If he can tap in goals while standing in front of the net and getting beaten then we may have finally found one of the guys we've been looking for. Heck, put him on LW and we could all stop posting for awhile. I am not convinced it won't be same old bulls_it in the playoffs. We need someone who can stand in front of the net and tap in the easy ones. That's why I like Bo and that's why I love Neil.

If he had been used this way last season we might have gotten to Belfour. If our powerplay suffers a bit in the regular season, so be it.
Good post ... I've always liked Chris Neil since he was one of the few guys that were prepared to protect his teammates and another guy that Jacques never used properly. We are starting to see why Murray got selected as the coach of this team and giving guys like Neil who work their a$$es off get rewarded with ice time and PP time. Good for him, he deserves it and I too like what I have seen from Bochenski who seems like he is always in front of the net looking for the loose puck something most of our skilled players won't or don't do.

Closed Thread