HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

same old story

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2003, 05:07 AM
  #1
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
same old story

the flames score a whopping 1 goal.. i know it is only 1 game, but i really dont think this team will make the playoffs.. what was the defense thinking on the Bertuzzi goal?

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 05:48 AM
  #2
Sec of Partying Down
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Mistakes were made but they will get better. They played pretty well minus special teams so if they can improve them we are in good shape. Anyway who was really expecting a win last night. The Canucks are one of the best teams in the league, we were playing them on the road, and it was their home opener.

Sec of Partying Down is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 05:54 AM
  #3
the future
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Mistakes were made but they will get better. They played pretty well minus special teams so if they can improve them we are in good shape. Anyway who was really expecting a win last night. The Canucks are one of the best teams in the league, we were playing them on the road, and it was their home opener.
anyone else think we need a. pp specialist(ronning, perreault)
b. back up goalie
c. more aggressive pk(defense was brutal in our end)

the future is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 05:54 AM
  #4
flamesfanont
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Thomas Ont
Posts: 1,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
the flames score a whopping 1 goal.. i know it is only 1 game, but i really dont think this team will make the playoffs.. what was the defense thinking on the Bertuzzi goal?
I got two words for the Bertuzzi goal. Denis Gauthier. As long as this team depends on the big lug with no skill except to throw a big hit this team is in trouble!

flamesfanont is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 08:07 AM
  #5
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
I am a flames fan, but i hate to say it, look at edmonton.. they have so much more speed and just look like a lot better team. their 3rd and 4th line guys can contribute. cant say the same for the flames

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 08:10 AM
  #6
Sec of Partying Down
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
I am a flames fan, but i hate to say it, look at edmonton.. they have so much more speed and just look like a lot better team. their 3rd and 4th line guys can contribute. cant say the same for the flames
The Flames were playing the Canucks. The Oilers were facing the Sharks anyone would have beaten the Sharks the way they played last night.

Sec of Partying Down is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 09:02 AM
  #7
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
The Flames were playing the Canucks. The Oilers were facing the Sharks anyone would have beaten the Sharks the way they played last night.
true enough, but i am talking most games.. to me edmonton looks noticeably faster and just all round better.. i hope calgary can step it up, but i just have my doubts thats all.. we will have to see how the flames look against the sharks on staurday..

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 10:36 AM
  #8
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
I am a flames fan, but i hate to say it, look at edmonton.. they have so much more speed and just look like a lot better team. their 3rd and 4th line guys can contribute. cant say the same for the flames
Did you watch the Flames game last night? Betts, Donovan and Clark were some of the few players that created chances? Betts and Donovan were both stoned by Cloutier early on in the game, Clark scored. Lowry (another third/fourth line guy) although not being credited with an assist made a great backhand pass to Regehr to help set up Clark's goal. Lombardi was another guy who had a good game IMO. I just think the Flames came out a little flat last night and when they did get chances Cloutier was there to make the saves which seemed to really frustrate the Flames offense. The Flames defense, which is their strength position, played terrible last night especially on the PK. On both of Vanocouver's PP goals they got caught running around and out of position. Yes, it was a dissapointing effort overall but we were playing the Canucks and it was their home opener. I expect a much better effort on Saturday.

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 11:06 AM
  #9
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deaner
Did you watch the Flames game last night? Betts, Donovan and Clark were some of the few players that created chances? Betts and Donovan were both stoned by Cloutier early on in the game, Clark scored. Lowry (another third/fourth line guy) although not being credited with an assist made a great backhand pass to Regehr to help set up Clark's goal. Lombardi was another guy who had a good game IMO. I just think the Flames came out a little flat last night and when they did get chances Cloutier was there to make the saves which seemed to really frustrate the Flames offense. The Flames defense, which is their strength position, played terrible last night especially on the PK. On both of Vanocouver's PP goals they got caught running around and out of position. Yes, it was a dissapointing effort overall but we were playing the Canucks and it was their home opener. I expect a much better effort on Saturday.
my comments are based on flames games in general, not just last night. i would agree with you that the 3rd and 4th line guys played alright last night and might be o.k this year.. i am going by the past few years where the 3rd and 4th lines were players like nichol and begin and jamie wright for example.... quite simply not good enough depth players.. i did think Betts looked good last night...

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
  #10
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
my comments are based on flames games in general, not just last night. i would agree with you that the 3rd and 4th line guys played alright last night and might be o.k this year.. i am going by the past few years where the 3rd and 4th lines were players like nichol and begin and jamie wright for example.... quite simply not good enough depth players.. i did think Betts looked good last night...
no one would argue with that! this year, if everyone's healthy the bottom 6 forwards may well be something like:Gelinas,Yelle,Donovan,Saprykin,Betts,Clark +/- Oliwa

when compared to
Yelle,Clark,Wright,Nichol,Begin,Sloan +/- Berube

or Wilm,Petrovicky,Begin,Hay,Shantz,Wright

or whatever we've had the last 2 years....we are getting better in that regard!

looooob is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 12:24 PM
  #11
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 50
I think the depth is weak when Reinprecht is out. When he's back, Lombardi and Lowry will be back down, and Saprykin will be in. Then we have a 3rd and 4th line that can contribute. Let's just hope we can stay relatively injury free this year.

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 01:58 PM
  #12
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Can't read too much into one game. They looked rusty to me, especially in their own end.

I would expect Regehr, Warrener and Iginla to look a little more sharp in the next few games. Reinprecht will definitely be an upgrade on Lombardi when he's cleared to play. Gautch looked horrible out there and I think there's a chance Monty or Commodore might draw in against San Jose in his place. A veteran like he is can't be making those types of mistakes and taking bad penalties late in games.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 04:37 AM
  #13
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
no one would argue with that! this year, if everyone's healthy the bottom 6 forwards may well be something like:Gelinas,Yelle,Donovan,Saprykin,Betts,Clark +/- Oliwa

when compared to
Yelle,Clark,Wright,Nichol,Begin,Sloan +/- Berube

or Wilm,Petrovicky,Begin,Hay,Shantz,Wright

or whatever we've had the last 2 years....we are getting better in that regard!
who is on our top 2 lines if Gelinas and Saprykin are on the 3rd and 4th?

yes the 3rd and 4th line has improve a LITTLE bit, but that little bit is going to get us to the playoff?

Flames 1st pick is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:11 AM
  #14
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan
who is on our top 2 lines if Gelinas and Saprykin are on the 3rd and 4th?

yes the 3rd and 4th line has improve a LITTLE bit, but that little bit is going to get us to the playoff?
Personally I would have one of Gelinas and Saprykin on the top two lines, when Saprykin draws into the lineup.

kruezer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.