HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Floor hockey strategy and different dekes

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

vCash: 1258
Floor hockey strategy and different dekes

I will be playing in a 24 hour marathon floor hockey game this Friday in commemeration of the Terry Fox 25th anniversary thing. We will be collecting pledges and stuff, but don't get me wrong, this tournament will be more serious than some ice-hockey tournaments that I have played in. Anyways, I just wanted to know if anybody knows of any really effective moves and strategies for floor hockey , as I have never played it before. But remember that the gymnasium that we will be playing in is only about 3/4 the size of a regulation rink, so plays involving passing will be kept to a minimum with the lack of space.

Anyways, if you can help me out, then please do.

Old
09-10-2005, 03:40 PM
J-D

vCash: 500
I've always had bad experiences when d-men on my team wanted to jump into the play too much.

Old
09-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Mackee

In my experience, two things come to mind. Defense and foot movement are key. It's much easier to back check on skates than it is on feet, simply because you can glide on skates, meanwhile you have to keep moving your feet on the floor. I also find it more difficult to shoot on the move while you're running as oppose to skating, again because you have to keep your feet moving.

I can't really help you for moves, as I have hands of stone. If you're good with your feet, I find that foot to blade moves work fairly well, especially while cycling down low. Even I can pull these off. Another thing to do that's much easier to do on feet is to plant yourself in front of the net and screen the goalie. It's much harder to move someone with their feet planted as opposed to someone on skates.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Sticks of Fury

If there is no offsides, then just ice the puck into the corner and run after it like a madman. The dman will have their back to you and you can try to keep pressure on them.

For moves, be on the offwing and look to pass but once the opposing guy goes for the puck(ball), just get ready to flip it over thier stick and flick it forward as you will get a running start.

Put all your good forwards on one line.

Use the boards to flick the ball around the opposing team.

Get your dmen involved in the offensive zone.

Old
09-11-2005, 03:43 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Use the boards well. If played with a ball it moves a lot quicker. Bank passes and big point shots work well with bodies in front of the net.

Old
09-11-2005, 03:44 AM
BuppY

Keep it simple as possible. I been playing Ball Hockey for many years now and I love it. I think the best thing to do is change speeds, when you going around someone change speeds and have quick hands. You can avoid a defense by protecting the ball and changing your speed. Try to forecheck much as possible. Keeping the pressure on opposing team. Try to stick handle when you have open space, when you are on the run. Do not stickhandle while your standing still and than try to go around a guy. It often backfires and you turn the puck over the other way. Just keep it simple and keep your head up. GOODLUCK.

Old
09-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
As much as this pains me to say it...unlike in ice hockey, look at the ball when doing a move in deck/ball hockey. One of my biggest problems in the transition from deck to ice was that I tried to never look down as if I was awaiting a hit, however, it is crucial that you do this. Also, the most effective move is a basic deke to one side, then shielding the ball with your body as you try to make it around the D. Unlike in ice hockey, always being on the move with the ball is not pertinent to success. If you can simply keep control of it and keep defenders at bay by shielding the ball with your body then you will be fine. I dunno how good of a slapshot you have, but if you are using one of those basic orange balls, then you can usually curve them with enough velocity. Shots from far out are increasingly difficult for goaltenders when this is occuring.

Old
09-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
If you are playing in a smaller gym, my suggestion would be to shoot as often as possible, from wherever possible... I'm a goaltender in ball hockey and I play normally in a rink at the Senior level in New Brunswick... But from time to time I participate in 3 on 3 tournaments in some of the smaller gyms around here... and the one piece of advice I could give you based off of that, is that if you are using a ball, shoot as often as possible, preferably high... A couple of reasons...

1) The movement of the ball is MUCH different than the movement of a puck... And it's much harder to pick up... With the size of a smaller gym, I've seen plenty of times in these tournaments where a shot from behind your own net will beat the goaltender, or at least a shot from center...

2) In a smaller gym, in full goaltender's gear for a day, you tend to get VERY tired and very dehydrated... By the end of the day if you are a butterfly goaltender (which most guys are) you will start to just flop to your knees to make the save as you are being drained of energy, thus, high shots will usually beat you...

My last other piece of advice is that in ball hockey, drink TONS of water... You will get dehydrated much faster playing ball hockey in a gym than playing ice hockey in a rink...

Old
09-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Thanks for the tips.

Old
09-11-2005, 11:30 AM
It Kills Me

Slappers, and the yo-yo move!

And have fun.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallant
As a goalie, I couldn't agree with you more. Humid rinks are an absolute nightmare, as well as a curving slap shot. Also regarding goalies, get him moving side to side. Lateral movement is so much harder on feet than it is on ice. Most goalies are used to sliding east/west on ice so be sure to make him move. It'll mess him up and it takes a lot out of him to keep up with some slick passing in front of him.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Slappers, and the yo-yo move!

And have fun.
What exactly is the yo-yo move?

Old
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAE2
What exactly is the yo-yo move?
The thingy Gaborik always does..

Old
09-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Quote:
OH!!!!!!!!

Old
09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Brodeur

We play in a ball hockey league every Sunday, and I'm usually a goalie. Here are some things I notice:

- I (as well as every other goalie in my league) insist on using our ice hockey pads, which is overkill. So, a lot of times we can't control our rebounds as well. Plus a ball will inherently have a spin to it. Not that it's a different tactic from ice hockey, crash the net and find the loose garbage. I've had plenty of goals scored on me from non-threatening point shots where the ball just squirted out and somebody stuffed in a rebound.

- If you're on a breakaway, do a hop step to slow yourself down with about 20 feet to go. I've seen plenty of guys on a dead sprint to get a breakaway, but they never slow down when they try to make their move. Most of the time, they either get a weak shot or completely lose the ball when trying to make a deke. My buddy does a hop step once he gets into the clear, and then he does his deke.

- If you have the option to shoot or pass..........more than likely take the shot. Depending on the ball you're using, completing a saucer pass is harder with a ball, since most balls won't settle like a puck would.

Old
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Beating goalies in ball hockey on breakaways is easy if you have good hands. Come in at full speed, fake to one side then go the toher way. If you at a fast enough pace, they won't be able to shuffle or slide quickly enough to stop you from roofing it...

Old
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Beating goalies in ball hockey on breakaways is easy if you have good hands. Come in at full speed, fake to one side then go the toher way. If you at a fast enough pace, they won't be able to shuffle or slide quickly enough to stop you from roofing it...
It's not even so much the goalie, but the player's ability to make a move at full speed.

It's really tough if you're completely used to skates and gliding in for a breakaway, as opposed to running at full speed and maintaining control of the ball. The whole mechanics of running and making a move usually takes a few games for the best players to get adjusted to.

Old
09-12-2005, 02:04 PM
The Jerk

speed....in ball hockey if you have speed you have an advantage over even the most skilled players. Dump the ball in deep and then run like a madman for it, pressure the d-man hard, either get the ball or make him get rid of the ball quick. Eventually you will either get to the ball before him or make him make a mistake with the ball. When you're in deep pressuring, make sure one of your other forwards sets up in the slot, and the other one takes away the boards that the d-man would probably use to clear the ball. Make him put it up the middle.

Old
09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Thanks again. BTW do you like my new avatar.

Old
09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
It's not even so much the goalie, but the player's ability to make a move at full speed.

It's really tough if you're completely used to skates and gliding in for a breakaway, as opposed to running at full speed and maintaining control of the ball. The whole mechanics of running and making a move usually takes a few games for the best players to get adjusted to.
I agree.

If you can learn to control the ball at full speed though, you will be dangerous...

I just find that ball hockey goalies can't go side to side like ice goalies can so when I come in on a guy, I have great success on breakaways.

Old
09-12-2005, 09:41 PM
cassius

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate?

Old
09-12-2005, 09:59 PM
zamboni

Being that it's floor hockey and I've played soccer for years, I tend to do the stick to foot to stick dekes. Usually fools them. Also, there have been times where I carry the ball with my feet as if it's soccer to throw people off. Then when they go your feet, kick it to your stick.

Old
09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Oilerfan120582

I find ball hockey somewhat frustrating, because while it takes a lot of skill to be a good skater, pretty much everybody can run. Thus, when playing ball hockey I lose the main advantage I normally have over other players. My experience with ball hockey (unless it is in a much smaller arena, which I prefer) is that it is not the guys with the most skill who dominate the way they would in ice hockey, but rather the guys who have the most endurance and can run their ***** off for an extended period of time. So hopefully you have some strong lungs.

Old
09-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582
I find ball hockey somewhat frustrating, because while it takes a lot of skill to be a good skater, pretty much everybody can run. Thus, when playing ball hockey I lose the main advantage I normally have over other players. My experience with ball hockey (unless it is in a much smaller arena, which I prefer) is that it is not the guys with the most skill who dominate the way they would in ice hockey, but rather the guys who have the most endurance and can run their ***** off for an extended period of time. So hopefully you have some strong lungs.
I find this to be true but only to an extent. Passing and overall vision of the court seems to play into the hands of ice hockey players. Thing is, I developed much better hands through playing ball hockey. While my shot stinks for the most part (it wasn't very good in ice either), I think it has made me become a more well rounded player. I learned to be much more patient, and the importance of cycling through ball hockey.

In my opinion ball hockey should be emphasized more as a game to play during the summer, rather then kids killing themselves playing on summer travel teams and such. Let's face it, you never really will get worse at skating unless you develope some incredibly bad habits. Even if you are not on the ice for an extended period of time, by staying conditioned and working out, it eventually will come back to you. Hands however are something you must consistantly practice, otherwise you will see a lack of development, or even a loss. In addition to being a great stamina builder, ball hockey can help you alot in this respect, as it is truly the key to being a good player. Anyone can be fast, but its hard to deke guys when you are running hard anyway.

Old
09-13-2005, 03:01 AM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
We play in a ball hockey league every Sunday, and I'm usually a goalie. Here are some things I notice:

- I (as well as every other goalie in my league) insist on using our ice hockey pads, which is overkill. So, a lot of times we can't control our rebounds as well. Plus a ball will inherently have a spin to it. Not that it's a different tactic from ice hockey, crash the net and find the loose garbage. I've had plenty of goals scored on me from non-threatening point shots where the ball just squirted out and somebody stuffed in a rebound.

- If you're on a breakaway, do a hop step to slow yourself down with about 20 feet to go. I've seen plenty of guys on a dead sprint to get a breakaway, but they never slow down when they try to make their move. Most of the time, they either get a weak shot or completely lose the ball when trying to make a deke. My buddy does a hop step once he gets into the clear, and then he does his deke.

- If you have the option to shoot or pass..........more than likely take the shot. Depending on the ball you're using, completing a saucer pass is harder with a ball, since most balls won't settle like a puck would.

You are correct Hop works great and helps you. What I do is coming on a break away full speed do the hop fake im a shoot it but pull it back if goalie commits Im a put it where it's open if he stays up and doesn't fall for it I quickly stickhandle like Im going across crease but before I finish going I put it five hole while he;s trying to cheat and stretch to go to the other side. If he however is very quick to come to the side im looking to finish I will pull the ball back n make him go down so I can put it over him. I like to play behind the net alot. I tend to score a lot of goals on rap arounds. I'm ver explosive and quick and fast. Im a good stickhandler, I have a decent wrist shot and I can also play the point I have a solid slap shot. I think playing behind the net especially in Ball Hockey throws the goalie off, he is totally confused when your behind the net. I find it very easy to score from behind the net. Watch out for the Turn around the slap shot, when a player turns around and fires a loose puck. It is a very difficult shot to stop. Good look buddy.

Closed Thread