HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Please help...GLUE STICK question

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
DaveBrown21

vCash: 500
Please help...GLUE STICK question

Can anyone tell me if the glue sticks (the ones you buy at a hockey shop) are basically the same type glue sticks you would use for a glue gun? I suspect the glue sticks in hockey shops are a special kind that can be reheated...but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Old
10-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Dr GLU

Buy hot melt glue sticks. I use them and haven't had any issues at all.

Old
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Icer

A glue stick used for attaching a blade to a composite shaft is a specialty adhesive that softens when heated. This allows you to remove a broken blade from a shaft and replace it.

But it is NOT the same as the glue used in a glue gun. Glue gun glue cools to a rubbery consistency. Stick glue cools to a hard plastic consistency and has a lot more strength.

You can heat and reheat the glue using a heat gun available at any hardware or paint supply. In a pinch, you can also use a hair dryer set on the hottest setting, but it takes a lot longer to melt the glue. DO NOT use a torch or open flame. You might damage your shaft and you will definitely void any warranty.

Old
10-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Dr GLU

Hot melt glue is used in industrial applications. It's plenty strong for keeping a blade in place, and it's cheap. It can be reheated as well.

I've never had a blade come loose before the blade was shot, and I've never had any trouble getting them out either.

Old
10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
Hot melt glue is used in industrial applications. It's plenty strong for keeping a blade in place, and it's cheap. It can be reheated as well.

I've never had a blade come loose before the blade was shot, and I've never had any trouble getting them out either.
I use a little $5 glue gun and $2 bunch of glue sticks and they work fine. The only issue Ive ever had was loosening after around a couple shoot around sessions. That only happens when I use the stick less than 2 hours after glueing and it only happens about 1 out of every 10 sticks.

It can definetly be reheated to as my process of changing blades is sometimes months between using a blade from when I re-glued it. I just reglue the blade, let it sit there til I wanna pop it in then I bring it to the stove, rotate the blade over the burner for about 3-4 minutes and pop the blade in.

Closed Thread