HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Van de Velde to try and play in 2006 British Open...for women

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2005, 01:17 PM
  #1
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 126,913
vCash: 50
Van de Velde to try and play in 2006 British Open...for women

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/news_story.asp?id=141093

"If we accept that women can enter our tournaments, then it applies that men can play with women," he said.

The Frenchman said he would get an application and attempt to qualify.

"I'll even wear a kilt and shave my legs," he said.


I just think he doesn't want to play in Carnoustie....

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 01:19 PM
  #2
ACC1224
Steelers 7-5 @ Bills
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 38,104
vCash: 500
He still won't win.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 01:27 PM
  #3
Douggy
Registered User
 
Douggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,803
vCash: 500
Hasn't this guy humiliated himself enough?

I don't feel sorry for him anymore.

The PGA is not called the MPGA. It is for the best golfers in the world, not the best male golfers in the world.

Douggy is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 01:29 PM
  #4
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Hasn't this guy humiliated himself enough?

I don't feel sorry for him anymore.

The PGA is not called the MPGA. It is for the best golfers in the world, not the best male golfers in the world.
Beat me to it. Agreed 100%, I still remember him falling apart on the final hole a few years ago.

golfmade is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
  #5
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough
 
Hire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 25,878
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
I guess his goal is to be the offical joke of golf...

Hire Sather is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 01:45 PM
  #6
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,526
vCash: 500
This is very good for me as I have a project for one of my classes about the debate over women at Augusta, and this would make a great counterpoint.

It's clear that Van De Velde has just given up on himself completely and is now trying to make a career as the professional golf fall guy who always gets himself into goofy situations.

acr* is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 02:22 PM
  #7
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 9,574
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
There was an Aussie man who got a sex change so he could compete in the Euro LPGA (and still was terrible), I expect no less from Van de Velde if he wants to compete. (

Quite frankly, I want him to enter and lose just so he can humiliate himself further.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 03:23 PM
  #8
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 33,880
vCash: 500
I find him hilarious.
This guy just rocks.
And for the record his melt down in his career major is worth more than a win. Everyone will remember VdV. Nobody will remember Leonard type of guys.

Evilo is online now  
Old
10-27-2005, 08:31 PM
  #9
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
I find him hilarious.
This guy just rocks.
And for the record his melt down in his career major is worth more than a win. Everyone will remember VdV. Nobody will remember Leonard type of guys.
I'll always remember Leonard. One of my favorites, but then again I usuall;y remember the things that are wortyh remembering.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
10-27-2005, 09:40 PM
  #10
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
There was an Aussie man who got a sex change so he could compete in the Euro LPGA (and still was terrible), I expect no less from Van de Velde if he wants to compete. (

Quite frankly, I want him to enter and lose just so he can humiliate himself further.
That person didn't have a sex change so she could compete on the LPGA, she had awlays wanted the procedure. It just so happens that she was also a golfer.

clefty is offline  
Old
10-28-2005, 02:02 PM
  #11
davemess
Registered User
 
davemess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
It is an interesting idea, certainly something that the LPGA should be very concerned about.

If the female golfers who want to go and play in the PGA events and end up taking this to court to force them to open the events to everybody then there is nothing to stop male golfers from using the same court rulings to force the LPGA to open its events.


There is decent money to be made on the LPGA tour and if a few guys who cant get cards to play on the PGA tour are able to go to the LPGA and make money from it then the flood gates would be open.

The LPGA would be dead inside a year if guys started to enter events to claim the prize money.

davemess is offline  
Old
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
  #12
joepeps
Registered User
 
joepeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
It is an interesting idea, certainly something that the LPGA should be very concerned about.

If the female golfers who want to go and play in the PGA events and end up taking this to court to force them to open the events to everybody then there is nothing to stop male golfers from using the same court rulings to force the LPGA to open its events.


There is decent money to be made on the LPGA tour and if a few guys who cant get cards to play on the PGA tour are able to go to the LPGA and make money from it then the flood gates would be open.

The LPGA would be dead inside a year if guys started to enter events to claim the prize money.


He can't... PGA and LPGA are different..

Pro golf Tour.. Ladies Pro Gold Tour.......... like said about... see the problem...

PGA has a loophole.. LPGA doesn't

joepeps is offline  
Old
10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
  #13
davemess
Registered User
 
davemess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
I doubt that the name of the tour will be any real loophole.

If the female golfers argue in court that they should be allowed entry to PGA events even if the regulations of the tour dont allow it then being called the LPGA wont be any defence from a guy turning that ruling on its head.

davemess is offline  
Old
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
  #14
joepeps
Registered User
 
joepeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
I doubt that the name of the tour will be any real loophole.

If the female golfers argue in court that they should be allowed entry to PGA events even if the regulations of the tour dont allow it then being called the LPGA wont be any defence from a guy turning that ruling on its head.

The PGA started becasue guys wanted to get away from the wifes....

they had a rule that said no girls alowed.......

but now I dont' think there is such rule....... I dunno

joepeps is offline  
Old
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
  #15
davemess
Registered User
 
davemess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
The PGA started becasue guys wanted to get away from the wifes....

they had a rule that said no girls alowed.......

but now I dont' think there is such rule....... I dunno
yeah i am not arguing that the female golfers wont be able to win their case and get allowed onto the PGA Tour.

What i am saying is that once they have done that the men will then be able to argue the reverse (and win) and be able to play on the LPGA Tour.

Which would kill the ladies tour.

davemess is offline  
Old
10-29-2005, 04:53 AM
  #16
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,413
vCash: 500
I think the very first rule written in the LGPA is that competitors must be female. I'm rather sure I remember seeing a story on the aforementioned transexual golfer, and they showed the rulebook and highlighted that part.

This clown and perennial loser should concentrate on actually winning a tournament before trying something like this. Mind you, thats probably why he's trying to enter, he must think this is the only way he can be a winner.

clefty is offline  
Old
10-29-2005, 05:21 AM
  #17
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 33,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
I think the very first rule written in the LGPA is that competitors must be female. I'm rather sure I remember seeing a story on the aforementioned transexual golfer, and they showed the rulebook and highlighted that part.

This clown and perennial loser should concentrate on actually winning a tournament before trying something like this. Mind you, thats probably why he's trying to enter, he must think this is the only way he can be a winner.

This guy went a lot closer to winning a major than you'll ever be Clefty
I think his actions just want to underline the stupidity of the women's complaints.

Evilo is online now  
Old
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
  #18
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,753
vCash: 500
maybe he's trying to make people forget about his epic collapse.


collapse at British Open forgotten, Van De velde misses cut in women's event

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
  #19
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo

This guy went a lot closer to winning a major than you'll ever be Clefty
I think his actions just want to underline the stupidity of the women's complaints.
One act of stupidity cancels out ther other?

clefty is offline  
Old
11-01-2005, 03:42 AM
  #20
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 33,880
vCash: 500
Well, I'm sure his proposal is more of a tongue in cheek provocation.

Evilo is online now  
Old
11-04-2005, 09:44 PM
  #21
Titanium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, Eng
Country: England
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
If the PGA tour had a "no women" rule, you can bet women would be up in arms, so saying the LPGA is a "women only" tour should be open to claims of discrimination! Women have been up in arms for years about "men only" golf clubs and restricted times for women on other courses, so you can bet any "men only" rule would have been argued in court and potentially declared illegal, anyway!

Bottom line is, the "women only" rule should not be considered law and therefore could easily be subject to a court case! The same MUST apply to women as men! After all, it's the whole basis of the women's argument and so must be taken to its logical end (ie. men should not be prevented from participating in women's events, just as the reverse should exist)!

Titanium is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.