HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Tyutin for real?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I heard Leetch speak before last night's..

Bruins games...actually seemed more assertive than his normal self, and as usual, said the right things (in terms of their last game which ended in a loss).

Old
10-27-2005, 08:42 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

How can anyone be disappointed with a rookie dman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
Is it realistic to expect this guy performing at this level throughout the season? Is he getting a lot of PP icetime? I'm asking for fantasy reasons.
All you need to know is that the coaching staff thinks enough of him to partner him with poti of all people!

Old
10-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Levitate

i'm not completely sure what people expected...and comparing how he's playing now to how he played when he first came up...hey when he first came up, he got caught up ice more than his fair share of times, he got burned more than his fair share of times...what's the difference? that he looked more aggressive on offense than he does right now at this moment

there's so many positive things to notice about his play if you pay attention that i think it's shortsighted to look at a rookie defenseman and go "oh damn! he's not playing like an all-star!" or something. yeah i'm exagerrating but sometimes it doesn't seem like it's by much

for the record, his board work is great and he is excellent at using body positioning to take pucks away, etc

Old
10-28-2005, 01:16 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dont think they are alike personality wise. I think the end result will be similar in terms of production and not quite being the elite players their talent suggests.

The similarities for me is the end result (or my opinion on the end result at least) and what they do good when they are "on" and what can be frustrating when they aren't.

Is that what you want me to go into more detail with?
Yes--more or less. Thank you. Malakhov never seemed all that laid back as far as his game on the ice. Just inconsistent. He could put stretches together where he's very good and then go through periods where he'd remind me of what Poti does--- that drives me nuts. I see Tyutin as somewhat different. He reminds me actually more of a younger Zhitnik (to compare him to another Russian)--but I haven't met any of them so that's probably a reach. Inconsistent offensive output and more or less steady somewhat physical defense. His skating is good and he has good instincts IMO a number 2 or at worst 3 defenseman is what he'll be.

Old
10-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Edge

Well the similarities between the two are this for me:

If Malakhov showed up every night he'd be one of the best defenseman in hockey (at least when he was in his prime).

He was a big guy who could drop the gloves when he felt like it, and his talent level was just amazing.

Tyutin is very much the same and I remember him sometimes frustrating me even back in the OHL. There were games where he was one and things were coming together (kinda what we've seen this season) but then it would seem there would be games where he wasn't really a factor.

Make no mistake about it, Fedor has the talent to back teams up every game. But he has yet to become that type of player and personally, as much as I don't want to, I think that might be what you get with him.

He'll be a very good player, make no mistake, but I just can't see him hitting that all-star year in and year our status that his talent dictates he probably should reach.

I guess to some it up, Tytuin might very well be an 8/10 or an 8.5/10 but with his talent he really could be a 9 or higher. When all is said and done, he's just that cut below that cornerstone level.

Now that could change, and his talent is big enough to overcome that. He has to want it every night though and so far from the OHL to the AHL to the NHL i just don't see that fire yet to hit that elite level.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
eco's bones

Well the one thing about Fedor-- Edge-- is I don't think he'll turn into a Poti who also has the talent but hardly ever puts it to good use. Fedor doesn't really dog it. On Malakhov again I think Vladimir had he pushed himself could have possibly been Pronger good. With his size and atheletic grace I think he's a step above Fedor in plain natural talent. When he started with the Islanders I thought he might turn into a superstar. Didn't work out that way and that had more to do with Malakhov than anything else.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Edge

Pretty much agree with you on most of the points here.

Quote:
Well the one thing about Fedor-- Edge-- is I don't think he'll turn into a Poti who also has the talent but hardly ever puts it to good use. Fedor doesn't really dog it.
Honestly I think he's probably already better than Poti and I don't think Tyutin will necessarily dog it, but not quite fire on cylinders.

Quote:
On Malakhov again I think Vladimir had he pushed himself could have possibly been Pronger good. With his size and atheletic grace I think he's a step above Fedor in plain natural talent. When he started with the Islanders I thought he might turn into a superstar. Didn't work out that way and that had more to do with Malakhov than anything else.
I dunno when Tyutin gets the wheels turning I think he is right there with Vlad, of course the game is very different than it was 13 years ago when Vlad made his NA debut.

I think it easy to forget that Fedor is only 22 years. But his talent level is huge when he allows it to be. Vlad was closer to 26 when we first saw him.

Tyutin has the talent, we'll just have to see where he goes with it.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:47 AM
eco's bones

I see Fedor as our best D-man right now. And from what I've seen of him in the NHL
(not so much what I've seen in the AHL) even if he doesn't reach his full potential I have a hunch he'll be a better player in the long than Malakhov has. Vladimir IMO even having just that edge in talent is the low end of what Tyutin can be. But ultimately I don't see him as a real number one.

Old
10-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Edge,

Am I reading you right to say that you think that Tyutin has all the physical tools to be a top level defenseman, but that he just dosn't have the desire to play at that level? As in, he could be great, but he will be content to be merely good?

Old
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
Edge,

Am I reading you right to say that you think that Tyutin has all the physical tools to be a top level defenseman, but that he just dosn't have the desire to play at that level? As in, he could be great, but he will be content to be merely good?

Well yes and no.

I DO think he has all the tools to be a top level defenseman, but I don't think it's a lack of desire.

For me when I think of that, I picture someone who is lazy or doesn't want to play at their top level.

I think he might be a little too laid back. He's a good kid who wants to do his best, but he's almost... how do I put it....a little too calm?

I think to hit that top level, you have to have (obviously the talent) but it requires a certain focus or fire if you will. That doesn't mean you run around yelling or screaming, but it's that your completely tuned in. I just don't think Tyutin has that.
(Remember when he never corrected anyone to his name, he's laid back like that)

Ironically Staal has shown that he has that, but his talent level isn't on the same par as Tyutin.

Old
10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I think you're saying what I said somewhat, but you substitute fire and focus for my word 'desire'. That's pretty much what I meant.

But now you've opened up another can of worms by saying Staal doesn't have that elite level in him. You may have to defend yourself on that one

Old
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I think you're saying what I said somewhat, but you substitute fire and focus for my word 'desire'. That's pretty much what I meant.

But now you've opened up another can of worms by saying Staal doesn't have that elite level in him. You may have to defend yourself on that one
For me it's all symantics of what one views the word as. I think Tyutin wants to be good, I just dunno if he can assert himself enough to be ELITE.

Staal is a good prospect, a safe prospect. But he's most likely a number 2-3 guy.

I think Tyutin and Staal are both ideally number 2 defensemen. They could very well be good number 2 defensemen, but that's how I see it.

If they turn into more, it's a winning situation for the Rangers but I think that's where their top level is likely to be.

Closed Thread