HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bertuzzi negotiations update

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 11:17 PM
cyrisweb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
I guess "without recommendation" does not necessarily equal "Strongly against." Maybe they're like "if you want to give him this contract fine, i wont' go agasint it, but i'm not really yippie-yah-yea about it."
I was thinking more along the lines off... "It's a lot of money.. but It's fair market value.. It's up to you if you want too pay that much for him."

Old
10-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
I guess "without recommendation" does not necessarily equal "Strongly against." Maybe they're like "if you want to give him this contract fine, i wont' go agasint it, but i'm not really yippie-yah-yea about it."
exactly what I think.

I wont be surprise if he gets around 7,5 to 8,5M/ year

Old
10-11-2003, 11:24 PM
PhillyNucksFan

how much??
$8M??

I dont know what CBA is going to be look like.. but $8M/year in new CBA might bite canucks back...

I'd say $6.5M to start is fair, and increase 0.5M each year for 5 years.. or 6.5/7.5/8M for 3 year..

Roughly around $7M is fair for him, for now IMO.. but I wouldnt have no problem with him making $8M at the last couple years of contract.. but nt $8M to start with..

but then, I consider Bert the 3rd BEST overall player there is in the NHL after Forsberg/Thornton.. both of them making roughly $10M??

Old
10-12-2003, 08:51 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Update

basically Burke likes an offer by bertuzzi's agent, and is asking for McCaw's permission

Old
10-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Peter Griffin

Good news. If Burke is favourable over a deal proposed buy the Bertuzzi side, I can't see McCaw not going for it. He ponied up the dough 5 years ago with the Messier signing when the team was losing loads of money. I can't see him not forking over the cash to sign one of the best forwards in the league when the Canucks are producing profits of over $10 mil a year.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.H
Oh boy, that isn't good news. Burke and Nonis have been given this job and it is a slap on their faces, if it doesn't go through them first.
Lets hope Burke's pride keeps in check.
You missed the point. BURKE sent the proposal up the line likely because it is way beyond his authorized budget for salry for the year.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:53 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
You missed the point. BURKE sent the proposal up the line likely because it is way beyond his authorized budget for salry for the year.

I just read the news about this.

I hope what they are doing is that, Burke thinks its a fair contract, but well over what his given budget allows. ( Probably 7M/year for 3-5 years?) with a $40M payroll, we probably wont be able to afford him.. BUT after all, its the owners who are giving out the money. as long as the owner agrees.. I guess Bert is signed for 3-5 years !!

Old
10-13-2003, 06:57 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan
I guess Bert is signed for 3-5 years !!

If McCaw agrees, then that is basically true. Here's the latest on the situation,

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/spor...8-B2FF8823D73E

"Contract negotiations on an extension for bruising winger Todd Bertuzzi have reached the ownership stage, with McCaw now reviewing the latest proposals from agent Pat Morris.

GM Brian Burke said Sunday that McCaw's involvement in the last few days is "nothing unique."

"This is no different than with Nazzy [Markus Naslund] and Jovo [Ed Jovanovski]," said Burke from Boston. "The GM doesn't have the authority to enter into contracts of that magnitude.""

This is looking very promissing now.

Closed Thread