HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Oilers/Habs

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2005, 11:50 PM
amazing_oilers

vCash: 500
Proposal: Oilers/Habs

The underachieving Bonk to Edmonton for the underachieving/overrated Peca. Gives the Habs some more grit and faceoffs, and gives the Oilers some skill.

Old
10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Quiet Robert

Is Peca really an underachiever? He's supposedly off to a slow start, but he still has 4 pts in 10 games, which isn't that bad. He's a guy who's consistently gotten 45+ points along with being a very impressive shut down guy.

I don't see how this helps Edmonton at all. I'd love to have Peca in Montreal, even at 4 million, but I don't know if Edmonton wants to let go of him, especially only for Bonk.

Old
10-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

It's not like Peca is playing bad while the rest of the team is on fire.

The whole team is **** right now.

Old
10-28-2005, 12:08 AM
amazing_oilers

Edmonton has enough gritty type players and has Reasoner and Stoll to take faceoffs. They are lacking a skilled center and Bonk would get #1 ice time here. That's why I think the deal would make sense. Sure Peca has 4 points, but he's not shutting down guys or playing very gritty.

Old
10-28-2005, 12:09 AM
amazing_oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.7i
It's not like Peca is playing bad while the rest of the team is on fire.

The whole team is **** right now.
That's correct, and they gotta do something...

Old
10-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_oilers
Edmonton has enough gritty type players and has Reasoner and Stoll to take faceoffs. They are lacking a skilled center and Bonk would get #1 ice time here. That's why I think the deal would make sense. Sure Peca has 4 points, but he's not shutting down guys or playing very gritty.

But what did Bonk do with #1 icetime and superior linemates to what he would have in Edmonton when he was in Ottawa?

Old
10-28-2005, 12:33 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
The underachieving Bonk to Edmonton for the underachieving/overrated Peca. Gives the Habs some more grit and faceoffs, and gives the Oilers some skill.
I actually like this deal...good for both teams and maybe light some fire for both players with the change of scenery.

10-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Is Peca really an underachiever? He's supposedly off to a slow start, but he still has 4 pts in 10 games, which isn't that bad. He's a guy who's consistently gotten 45+ points along with being a very impressive shut down guy.

I don't see how this helps Edmonton at all. I'd love to have Peca in Montreal, even at 4 million, but I don't know if Edmonton wants to let go of him, especially only for Bonk.
Depends how you look at it

Peca is a guy who does alot of little things right, and does all the little things good teams need to do to be good. He certainly does seem to be in the shadow of him former self (or was his former self overrated?), maybe because of the Tucker hit, who knows.

The problem between Peca and the Oilers is twofold,
1. His contract, $4 mill... ouch
2. He is thrown into a job he can't do. Peca will win you faceoffs, kill you penelties, and be a gritty center. MacTavish wants him to be a scorer. You can't just tell a guy like Peca "hey, you need to start putting up points now." I think the calling out of Peca was a big mistake by MacTavish; if it was Peca's role to score goals, then yeah, fine, but that's not what he can do.

Old
10-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
I actually like this deal...good for both teams and maybe light some fire for both players with the change of scenery.
Both players are less then 12 games into their career with a new team, how much more of a scenery change can you get?

Old
10-28-2005, 01:03 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Both players are less then 12 games into their career with a new team, how much more of a scenery change can you get?
well, sometimes, it gets old real quick...

Old
10-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
well, sometimes, it gets old real quick...
If it old that quick, maybe the issue is more with the individual then the team itself?

Who's to say the new team (say Peca - Habs, Bonk - Oilers) gets old before Christmas? Deal them again?

For the record, I'm wondering *** is going on with Langkow, same boat the Oilers are in with Peca.

Old
10-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Works for me, IMO Peca is just not the right guy for this Oilers team.

Old
10-28-2005, 07:04 AM
gars59

Quote:
no , we dont want the contract of peca

Old
10-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Marksman

Why are you thinking is Bonk underachieving? Are you looking at his scoring totals by any chance? You need to realize Habs use him in checking line center and penalty killing roles where he has been excellent - when Koivu and Ribeiro carry offensive load.

Peca would be just another undersized centerman we already have, and Habs are most likely looking to invest that 1.6M difference in their salaries into defensive upgrade than making changes in their forward (especially one that makes them smaller).

On top of that Habs already have their poormans Peca in Steve Begin.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Habs might need to toss someone in to balance salary and the Oil maybe toss in a pick for that someone. Maybe something like... Peca and a 5th for Bonk and Dagenais.

Peca would be better suited to the Habs third line than the Oilers' 1st/2nd line. He was never an offensive dynamo to start, and his offensive abilities have been lessened by the injury. He remains and elite level shutdown talent though and one of the best PKers in the league.

Bonk is a more talented scorer than Peca, and while no slouch defensively, clearly not in Peca's league in that regard. The Oil need scoring, and while the Habs don't exactly need defensive forwards, Peca is better suited to the role Bonk is playing than Bonk is. I think it fits both teams' needs pretty well.

I remember this deal came up when Bonk was a Sen and Peca an Isle. It got kicked around for a while and was determined to be good value.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:48 AM
MM425

Where do I sign? Peca is grossly overpaied at 4 million... but he is still a very useful player and a guy you definately want in you lineup during playoff time.

Id love to see Peca playing with Bulis and Higgins... theres a line that is never going to get out-hit, out-worked, and probably would never never out-scored (for a 3rd line)

Old
10-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

From the Habs perspective, I'd do it.

Again, not that there has been anything at all wrong with the way Bonk has played for us. He has exceeded my expectations commendably, has killed penalties very well, and generally done a great job giving us a larger body as our 3rd line center. The scoring totals aren't impressive, but he IS generating chances... it's not his fault that his wingers (Bulis, Sundstrom) have no finishing touch.

However... it's kind of a ho-hum, workaday role that Bonk is providing now, and while he does it well, he doesn't add any pizzazz or emotion while doing it. I dare to dream that Peca might be able to add a bit more sizzle and grittiness for us, even if he brings us back to a situation of worrying about our size up the middle. And even though he is even more ridiculously paid for that role than Bonk is, we can probably squeeze it under the cap.

Okay, the more I think about it, the less likely I would be to do it, if I was actually sitting in Bob Gainey's chair. But as a carefree fan, it has more appeal!

Old
10-28-2005, 11:19 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

No way. Peca is overpaid, and we need to resign Saku. Doesn't work because of the $$$, also Bonk is a very good shut down player. That's exactly what we need on the third line.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
No way. Peca is overpaid, and we need to resign Saku. Doesn't work because of the $$$, also Bonk is a very good shut down player. That's exactly what we need on the third line.
Peca only has one year left on his contract, so it would not interfere with resigning Koivu. Bonk's good, but not nearly in Peca's league in terms of defensive play.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Riggins

Bonk has not been good so far. I would definitely do this if not for Peca's salary.

Old
10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Habsaku

I would not do this simply because of contractual reasons. Besides, if the Oilers are out of it at the trade deadline we can get him them for much much cheaper and move Bonk to the wing somewhere.

Old
10-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Bonk is younger, more offensive upside, cheaper, bigger and does pretty good already on the 3rd line and on the PK. I don't see the Habs doing that deal.

Old
10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Done deal from a Habs perspective. Bonk might be the better choice in the regular season, but I'd rather go to war with Peca. The only concern I have is that it would make the Habs very small down the middle.

I'd insist on expanding it though in order to balance out the salaries a bit. Perhaps add Staios and Rivet and picks to even out the values.

Old
10-28-2005, 03:22 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Bonk was basically dumped in Montreal by Ottawa for a 4th round pick. If the Edmonton Oilers are really serious about acquiring Bonk, Why would they offer Mike Peca??? Clearly a 4th round pick should do it!

If I were Montreal and Kevin Lowe calls to offer Peca for Bonk, I wouldn't be able to hold in my giddyness...

it'd be a done deal from Montreal's perspective.

Peca is MUCH better than Bonk at almost every aspect of the game. Including intagibles. This is a HORRIBLE trade for Edmonton, and would make Montreal an instant contender, if they aren't already one.

This is without considering contracts...

Old
10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact
Bonk was basically dumped in Montreal by Ottawa for a 4th round pick. If the Edmonton Oilers are really serious about acquiring Bonk, Why would they offer Mike Peca??? Clearly a 4th round pick should do it!

If I were Montreal and Kevin Lowe calls to offer Peca for Bonk, I wouldn't be able to hold in my giddyness...

it'd be a done deal from Montreal's perspective.

Peca is MUCH better than Bonk at almost every aspect of the game. Including intagibles. This is a HORRIBLE trade for Edmonton, and would make Montreal an instant contender, if they aren't already one.
I believe the Habs gave a 3rd and Garon for Bonk and Huet.

Closed Thread