HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

egads! Eric is scaring me already

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Taco Grande

vCash: 500
egads! Eric is scaring me already

Where ever we send Comrie, can we make Brewer part of the package? Brutal. Took a dumb penalty and cost us a goal, goes way out chasing a shark forward and costs us a goal... I'm starting to see a pattern. :mad:

Old
10-09-2003, 07:35 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Grande
Where ever we send Comrie, can we make Brewer part of the package? Brutal. Took a dumb penalty and cost us a goal, goes way out chasing a shark forward and costs us a goal... I'm starting to see a pattern. :mad:
But hey......it takes a long time to mature into the defence position.....lol.

Many feel that Oiler fans should pay the price for his loooong mistake laden learning curve........because he will be great some day........when we can't afford him any more.

I've always been critical of this philosophy.

EDIT: He played in the olympics you know....

Old
10-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
because he will be great some day........when we can't afford him any more.
Here's to a hard cap for the 2004 cba

Old
10-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Which defenceman seemed the sharpest today for the Oil? I noticed MAB's speed and puck movement, but everything was kind of a blur to me. help me out, who stood out in your minds.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:53 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Which defenceman seemed the sharpest today for the Oil? I noticed MAB's speed and puck movement, but everything was kind of a blur to me. help me out, who stood out in your minds.
MAB, but Staios was certainly solid as well.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:02 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
But hey......it takes a long time to mature into the defence position.....lol.

Many feel that Oiler fans should pay the price for his loooong mistake laden learning curve........because he will be great some day........when we can't afford him any more.

I've always been critical of this philosophy.
Spaz was pretty brutal for a long time too. Now everybody's up in arms that he was traded.

What would you suggest Lowe do instead?

Old
10-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Oilhitch

MAB is quick and he does carry the puck well and I have been a supporter of his for awhile now. However he did give the puck away a few times last night during their first power play. Maybe it was Jitters. The way he controls the puck at the blue line during the PP is kinda leary considering he is a rookie. I can see him giving up a couple SH goals this year. All things considering, we do need him back there.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Lowetide

Brewer has all the tools, still has problems making quick decisions. Sometimes he makes NO decision, which is also a disaster. In a perfect world, he'd be playing on the second pairing with Smith or Staios.

However, he's paired with Cory Cross, who looks like someone slapped on a Denver Boot in the off season.

Brewer will be fine.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Taco Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Brewer has all the tools, still has problems making quick decisions. Sometimes he makes NO decision, which is also a disaster. In a perfect world, he'd be playing on the second pairing with Smith or Staios.

However, he's paired with Cory Cross, who looks like someone slapped on a Denver Boot in the off season.

Brewer will be fine.
Couldn't have said it better. One thing to add: a few times last night it looked like he was trying to do too much on a play-- just kinda being pulled out of position to make the hit or chase the guy. I'd like Staios to spend some time with him as I think he's probably our strongest D-man positionally.

I wasn't totally sold on Bergeron as everyone else was, he made mistakes too. Thats to be expected at this point in both his and Brewer's careers. Coach Huddy will be busy this year

Old
10-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Noticed MAB was great in the PP QB role, better than a lot of people we have had running it in the past few years. On a side note, anyone notice hemsky's one-timer from MAB??? I think its the first slap shot i have seen him make, and it had some pepper to it too~!

Old
10-10-2003, 06:32 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Spaz was pretty brutal for a long time too. Now everybody's up in arms that he was traded.
What would you suggest Lowe do instead?
I love Lowetides Denver boot analogy. And you are bang on about Niinimaa.........I'm leader of the "up in arms about Janne trade" club. (Torres quicky dismantling the club though)

But I guess when it comes to Brewer, I feel he's quite overrated. Especially after the olympic appearance. And in a market like the Oilers, overrated players are very touchable.......for the obvious reasons.

This doesn't mean shipping him out and getting another forward. But I often wonder how we could modify our defensive corps with a Comrie/Brewer trade.

Although many won't agree with me, it's my opinion.

I'm gonna duck now

Old
10-10-2003, 07:27 PM
kraigus

Quote:
I love Lowetides Denver boot analogy. And you are bang on about Niinimaa.........I'm leader of the "up in arms about Janne trade" club. (Torres quicky dismantling the club though)

But I guess when it comes to Brewer, I feel he's quite overrated. Especially after the olympic appearance. And in a market like the Oilers, overrated players are very touchable.......for the obvious reasons.
Yeah, Cross was looking pretty slow last night. He didn't get burned very much by it though, he seems pretty good positionally, and he's got the size to punish guys in front of the net.

I don't know if I'd agree that Brewer is very overrated; he's a damn fine skater, he hits hard (has a nasty hip check) when he wants to/can, and he moves the puck well. Perhaps he's not well-suited to be a true #1 dman, but arguably, aside from Salo, MacT doesn't really have any true #1s anyway - except maybe for Smyth as a LW (and Hemmer as a RW in a year or two, hopefully), so he's no exception.

I still don't know if Torres + Izzy was "enough" return for Janne, but I'd have rather seen him stay in Edmonton myself. All's I'm saying is it _is_ true that it takes a while for dmen to mature, and while it _may_ be true that what you see is what you get with Brewer, it _may_ not be true as well, and honestly, I'll take Lowe's and Huddy's word over what constitutes a good defenceman than... well, anybody's.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:57 PM
copperaddict

If any of the "D-men" end up getting packaged with Comrie, my money will be on Smith.He's making to much money for what he brings to the table but some teams like the Lightning or Panthers may want him for his experience.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:46 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
If any of the "D-men" end up getting packaged with Comrie, my money will be on Smith.He's making to much money for what he brings to the table but some teams like the Lightning or Panthers may want him for his experience.
I agree 100%, especially with the "post 2004" philosophy Lowe is employing.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Oilers4life

vCash:
First thing I thought of when I saw the thread subject was Veronica's dad seeing Archie in the comics, "Egad!"

Old
10-11-2003, 10:01 AM
gretzky2kurri

Although Smith was under alot of fire 2 seasons ago. I really liked his game in last years playoffs. He was pretty mean and effective.

Just my opinion.

Old
10-11-2003, 03:38 PM
kraigus

Quote:
Although Smith was under alot of fire 2 seasons ago. I really liked his game in last years playoffs. He was pretty mean and effective.

Just my opinion.
Amen. Had a mini-flamewar with somebody here after the playoffs, arguing exactly that. He was one of the best on the ice for the Oil (not that that's saying much, but...)

Closed Thread