HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Torque line on radio

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 04:08 PM
IceDragoon

vCash: 500
Torque line on radio

I was the first caller on 'Total Hockey' with Bob Stauffer today. He and Spector had been calling the Torque line, the smash, bash & dash line. I told them that a poster on 'Hockey's Future Boards' (sorry salostyle, i didn't have your name with me) had a better name for this line. And then explained the reasoning:

On the left - Torres
in the middle - Horcoff
on the right - Laraque

Torque
(noun) a turning or twisting force

(verb) cause to twist by applying force
(both definitions apply)

We laughed and chatted a bit about that, then Bob asked what my overall impression of the game was. I commented on the boys understandably getting off to a slow start. What really impressed me tho, was the improved positioning and puck support. Bob laughed and said that they had been discussing the same thing before going on the air and he saw it, like I saw it.

After hanging up, they were discussing hfboards, and that they don't get many women callers. He thought I probably had a better understanding of the game, than at least 70% of their callers. (this couldn't have anything to do with the fact that i reinforced his opinion, could it?)

They then continued this train of thought with the next caller who thanked Bob for treating me like I knew something, unlike Bryn. The caller said that in his opinion, Bryn is condescending to women callers, and asks questions like: "Who's your favourite team?"

Oh well, it was fun. All I really wanted to do, was support the Torque line and hfb.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:13 PM
jadeddog

yeah i hope that name sticks.... as its an absolutely PERFECT name

Old
10-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Oi'll say!

Sounds like you dun us proud, sista!

I've never called in to a radio talkshow b4, never even tried it. I did get a letter printed in the Journal once though, first time I ever wrote in. Dawg and I both blasted Terry Jones after the whole Poti incident and Terry even commented on our replies

Old
10-10-2003, 04:51 PM
IceDragoon

Thanx.

btw - Bob absolutely loved KLo's comments to Fuhr about being a 'hometown hero' and 'carrying the Cup around your hometown rink'. He seems to think that every fan would think that it was a jab at Comrie. He really likes KLo's 'swagger'.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Sweet....

Way to go "IceDragoon"...the more awareness we can get for hfboards the better because i think we deserve it...by far the most knowledgeable fans on the net and some of us are even decent writers and fact digger uppers.

If i turn on the TV on saturday night and here the announcers referring to the line as "TORQUE" i will be so PUMPED.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:55 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
They then continued this train of thought with the next caller who thanked Bob for treating me like I knew something, unlike Bryn. The caller said that in his opinion, Bryn is condescending to women callers, and asks questions like: "Who's your favourite team?"

Oh well, it was fun. All I really wanted to do, was support the Torque line and hfb.
So... what is your favorite team, missy?

As for the 70% thing... Nah. Most of the people who call into shows don't even know what they're talking about half the time. Listening to the Open line after Oiler games on the radio hurt my brain.

Torque is so amazingly creative. I think it would be a shame if that nick doesn't get picked up quickly.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Oi'll say!

Does John Short still have his show?

I'm thinking he doesn't because I haven't heard his name mentioned on these boards ever.

He was HOF material if you ask me, not just hockey but sports in general. He would talk about lacrosse, football, you name it. Great great show.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:56 PM
oilersrule14

Short still has his show. It's on at 4-6:30 on AM 930. I think it's a really good show too for all types of sports.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:29 PM
IceDragoon

Thanx guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
So... what is your favorite team, missy?
Well at one time, it was the Alberta Oilers. :p
Quote:
As for the 70% thing... Nah. Most of the people who call into shows don't even know what they're talking about half the time. Listening to the Open line after Oiler games on the radio hurt my brain.
Duh!!! The twits that call after the game, are usually calling after 6 - 10 beers too. In order to follow they're train of thought, first you have to find a train, and about 6 - 10 beers.
Quote:
Torque is so amazingly creative. I think it would be a shame if that nick doesn't get picked up quickly.
I think we should all email the Oilers, Sportsnet, TSN, CBC, the Journal & the Sun with our preference, and a link to this thread.

Old
10-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Do you think Robin Brownlee heard that we (the HF community) came up with a good name?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031011/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Old
10-11-2003, 08:20 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Do you think Robin Brownlee heard that we (the HF community) came up with a good name?
imho - If he did, he's an *** for not using it.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Well I think we know what we have to do, let's make the Torque line famous. by this I mean refer to "the torque line" while watching the game with friends, go to the games and call them the torque line all the time, it will catch on.

GuyF, you seem to get to the games often and talk to the right people, lets make it fly.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Well I think we know what we have to do, let's make the Torque line famous. by this I mean refer to "the torque line" while watching the game with friends, go to the games and call them the torque line all the time, it will catch on.

GuyF, you seem to get to the games often and talk to the right people, lets make it fly.
I'm on it. It's used in the latest article I wrote (which should be posted today I hope) and I'll be using it on air next Thursday too. (TEAM 1260 every second thursday with Bob Stauffer and Marc Spector )

Old
10-11-2003, 09:07 AM
gretzky2kurri

Brownlee is right though. I think it could have little meaning in 2 weeks if Horcoff is moved up.

Damn good name though. So is 1c.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:53 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I'm on it. It's used in the latest article I wrote (which should be posted today I hope) and I'll be using it on air next Thursday too. (TEAM 1260 every second thursday with Bob Stauffer and Marc Spector )
You're a good man Guy.
I'll be listening, if I can.

Old
10-11-2003, 11:28 AM
OYLer

Hey IceDragoon, I like your TORQUE better then my BBS but I as you know, I being a big fan of Horcoff and thinking Shawn should be the 1st or 2nd line center, and when he moves up, Smytty moves over and Stoll replaces him I thought my Bullent Board Special(BBS) name for the energized lineup of the Bruise Brothers plus Shawn/Stoll would be versatile for the long run. TORQUE, I think a unit of force which can be measured in foot-pounds, but only after some westcoast team gets shafted, is a big-wheels image I'm visualizing as I think of our big boys rolling over Sami Salo and Sopel.

But if Torres, Horcoff and Laraque, the THL line,the Terrible Heathen Landing plunder, pilage and maraud as consistently as they did in game one, Horcoff will be centering the 1st and/or second line by default. Not that winning tonight will be easy but first comes hope & faith, then trust & respect, then the bliss that is hockey nirvana -- a NHL team that as Smytty says, "needs to continue in it's winning ways."

Old
10-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Good call boys...

If GuyF starts mentioning the Torque line it will be picked up in minutes and it will fly...I too am a journalist and have used it in my preview story for this years version of the battle of alberta which i will be covering in Calgary this Tuesday.
I will let as many Flames fans and "Goat"hier jersey wearing hippies know that Torque is here to stay and will be running hawg wild over anything in its way.

Old
10-11-2003, 02:14 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Hey IceDragoon, I like your TORQUE better then my BBS but I as you know, I being a big fan of Horcoff and thinking Shawn should be the 1st or 2nd line center, and when he moves up, Smytty moves over and Stoll replaces him I thought my Bullent Board Special(BBS) name for the energized lineup of the Bruise Brothers plus Shawn/Stoll would be versatile for the long run. TORQUE, I think a unit of force which can be measured in foot-pounds, but only after some westcoast team gets shafted, is a big-wheels image I'm visualizing as I think of our big boys rolling over Sami Salo and Sopel.

But if Torres, Horcoff and Laraque, the THL line,the Terrible Heathen Landing plunder, pilage and maraud as consistently as they did in game one, Horcoff will be centering the 1st and/or second line by default. Not that winning tonight will be easy but first comes hope & faith, then trust & respect, then the bliss that is hockey nirvana -- a NHL team that as Smytty says, "needs to continue in it's winning ways."
Actually it's salostyle's artistic creation. I'm not as creative as you or him. I am however, blessed with an ability to see, and in some cases refine, talent. I just did a little editing, research and started the marketing.

Closed Thread