HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Markkanen and...Tugnutt Perhaps

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Jordoe28

vCash: 500
Markkanen and...Tugnutt Perhaps

I have watched most of the Oiler games this season and really believe Markkanen has been playing quite well. Aside from a few blowouts, Markkanen has played better than expected and completely stole the show from struggling Ty Conklin.

I think another year in the AHL will do Conklin wonders for his career and should be ready to backup and challenge for the number one spot next season. That's why I don't think its necessary to bring in a more expensive guy like Kolzig.

What about Ron Tugnutt? Sign him to a league minimum 1 year deal and you've got nothing to lose. He's a proven goalie with tons of experience and willing to accept his role, whatever that may be. He could provide some insurance for Markkanen, and really help mentor the guy. And no, he's not retired if anyone was wondering.

Tugnutt has played in over 530 NHL games, and has almost 30 games of playoff experience.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordoe28
I think another year in the AHL will do Conklin wonders for his career and should be ready to backup and challenge for the number one spot next season.
Except that Conklin has to be recalled at the end of his conditioning assignment or he will be exposed to waivers...

Old
10-28-2005, 09:27 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Except that Conklin has to be recalled at the end of his conditioning assignment or he will be exposed to waivers...
Don't think there's much of a risk of him getting claimed.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Brad*

Quote:
I have watched most of the Oiler games this season and really believe Markkanen has been playing quite well. Aside from a few blowouts, Markkanen has played better than expected and completely stole the show from struggling Ty Conklin.

I think another year in the AHL will do Conklin wonders for his career and should be ready to backup and challenge for the number one spot next season. That's why I don't think its necessary to bring in a more expensive guy like Kolzig.

What about Ron Tugnutt? Sign him to a league minimum 1 year deal and you've got nothing to lose. He's a proven goalie with tons of experience and willing to accept his role, whatever that may be. He could provide some insurance for Markkanen, and really help mentor the guy. And no, he's not retired if anyone was wondering.

Tugnutt has played in over 530 NHL games, and has almost 30 games of playoff experience.
Your obsession with Ron Tugnutt borders on bizarre.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:29 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
Don't think there's much of a risk of him getting claimed.
Don't kid yourself.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Jordoe28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Just desperate to see him play. I really believe he has game left in him and could really help a team if they give him a chance. This chance doesn't include starting him once every two months and then expecting him not to be a little rusty. (cough, cough Dallas ) lol

Old
10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Don't kid yourself.
I don't know, NHL backups/AHL starts (which is basically what he is) are a dime a dozen. He's not exactly sought-after. I wouldn't be surprised if he went unclaimed, either.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Yeah, especially since Tugnutt was terrible as the Stars' backup. He let in numerous goals from the blueline where he wasn't screened at all. It's like he didn't even see the shots.

I think he's a great guy, but he's done.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Jordoe28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
Yeah, especially since Tugnutt was terrible as the Stars' backup. He let in numerous goals from the blueline where he wasn't screened at all. It's like he didn't even see the shots.

Tugnutt wasn't that bad as a Stars backup. He was just expected to challenge Turco for the number one spot and when he didn't, everyone said he played bad when really he was just an average backup. Like I said, starting him once every 1-2 months didn't help the matter. How can you not expect him to get a little rusty.

I saw him play in Vancouver and San Jose filling in for Turco during his suspension and Tugnutt looked solid.

If anything, Tugnutt was just a bad fit for Dallas. Turco and Tugnutt are completely different style goaltenders and it was hard for the Stars to adjust, which could help make sense to Tugnutt's few and far between starts.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
I have to agree. Especially since he is basically retired and has become a CBC colour guy.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Tugnutt wasn't that bad as a Stars backup. He was just expected to challenge Turco for the number one spot and when he didn't, everyone said he played bad when really he was just an average backup.
I don't know anyone who expected that.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Jordoe28

It was in most articles I read when the trade happened.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Jacob

Tugnutt is garbage as an NHL goaltender and he's not much to write home about as a human being either!!!

Old
10-28-2005, 09:49 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Actually it's 30 miles inside the border and charging straight for the capital.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Tugnutt wasn't that bad as a Stars backup. He was just expected to challenge Turco for the number one spot and when he didn't, everyone said he played bad when really he was just an average backup. Like I said, starting him once every 1-2 months didn't help the matter. How can you not expect him to get a little rusty.

I saw him play in Vancouver and San Jose filling in for Turco during his suspension and Tugnutt looked solid.

If anything, Tugnutt was just a bad fit for Dallas. Turco and Tugnutt are completely different style goaltenders and it was hard for the Stars to adjust, which could help make sense to Tugnutt's few and far between starts.
Listen, Ron, I think you need to be more subtle. We're catching on. K, thanks.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Don't kid yourself.
Do you really think Conklin would be claimed on waivers? It's not out of the question, I suppose, but considering how poorly he's played so far I'm skeptical. I could have seen the Thrashers claiming him until they signed Shields. Am I overlooking somebody else who has an immediate need for a goalie of Conklin's ...er, calibre?

I understand correctly, there's no point in a team claiming a guy off waivers unless they plan on putting him on the roster. If you claim a guy then try to send him down yourself, then the other team can claim him right back and all you've accomplished is spending a waiver-transfer fee.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Jordoe28

lol, if I was Ron I would've accepted that offer from Anaheim this summer.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Benji Frank

If they're giving up on conklin, Potvin might be the better alternative ... he seemed to accept the role quite well last year in Boston & to me just seems a better tutor for a guy like Markennon....

Old
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
If they're giving up on conklin, Potvin might be the better alternative ... he seemed to accept the role quite well last year in Boston & to me just seems a better tutor for a guy like Markennon....
I've heard Potvin being suggested. Personally, I think Biron or Noronen would be better

Old
10-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg
I've heard Potvin being suggested. Personally, I think Biron or Noronen would be better
I thought about biron, but he seems too expensive for the role. Norenon has never struck me as an NHL calibre team guy. At this point the best thing for him is a trip to the minors to try to get his confidence back ... I'm not sure if they can do that without putting him on waivers..... Dipietro requested a trip to the minors last year ... was that a conditioning assingment 2 week deal?

Old
10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
Dipietro requested a trip to the minors last year ... was that a conditioning assingment 2 week deal?
Yes it was

Old
10-28-2005, 10:33 AM
SML

Quote:
Actually it's 30 miles inside the border and charging straight for the capital.

Hysterical...

Old
10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
It was in most articles I read when the trade happened.
Yeah, Tippett said that to challenge Turco, but he wasn't serious. It was posturing to get Turco ready for the starting job. The job was Turco's to lose not Tugnutt's to win. It's pretty standard coach-speak that happens during training camps in every sport.

Quote:
If anything, Tugnutt was just a bad fit for Dallas.
Yes becaues Dallas expected a guy to stop shots, and Tugnutt struggled with that. He was a below average backup who had a hard time with some very routine saves.

Old
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Jordoe28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg
Well for this thread, I was sort of talking about an alternative to trading for a starting goaltender like Biron or Noronen. This was in hopes that Conklin could get his game back with a year in the minors. Potvin, would probably be an equal choice to Tugnutt, they both have shared success at times, and no their roles.

As for the other quote on Tugnutt struggling with saving shots, I really don't know what you mean. Did you watch any of his games, because I have almost every game on tape, and he seemed very in tune in most of his starts. One trend I noticed with Tugnutt which may be his weakness, was most of the goals that went in on him were deflections and breakaways/penalty shots. He seemed very good handling rebound control, and making the average saves. He didn't play the puck like Turco, which really hurt Dallas's offence, which was why Tugnutt lost so many more games than Turco. Most of Tugnutt's games were NOT blowouts, aside from 3 games I could find. He played in 42 games with the Stars compiling 5 shutouts, an SVP% of .900 and a GAA under 2.50. To me, those are average backup numbers. And yes, stats depend much on your team, but when Tugnutt filled in for Turco's four game suspension, Dallas was missing 8 other guys, and Tugnutt was superb in 3 of the four games.

Now of course this is just my oppinion from watching his games, but to me, a guy who can post great starting numbers, and break records on Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Columbus as a starter, means that maybe Dallas just wasn't a good fit for him. Edmonton doens't need a 60 game starter, they just need IMO, a mentor, to help develop Markkanen and provide some veteran insurance. IMO Tugnutt would be the cheapest and most reliable way to go IF you only need a temporary netminder. (about 1 year) If Edmonton is looking for a longtime #1, Biron or Noronen among others, would definately be my first choice.

Old
10-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Now of course this is just my oppinion from watching his games, but to me, a guy who can post great starting numbers, and break records on Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Columbus as a starter.
You are forgetting that Tugnutt has grown older and is out of his prime

Closed Thread