HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Cory Cross

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 09:51 AM
serum114

vCash: 500
Cory Cross

Now I have long been an enemy of Cory Cross. He's slow and a former Leaf, two big no-nos from where I stand.

That being said, he's getting unjustified grief on this board.

Cross is a simple, unspectacular defenseman and I think he's done an admirable job so far. I've screamed at the TV on Brewer giveaways a number of times but not about Cross. I've cursed Bergeron for letting the puck skip the zone on a powerplay but not Cross. I've gotten angry with Semenov for pinching at the wrong time and getting caught but not Cross.

In all honesty, as much as I loathe his skill set, he is doing his job back there. He's a calming influence, he is rarely caught out of position, he knows his weaknesses and compensates for them and somehow—this one baffles me above all else—he's an offensive contributor.

Fergie isn't skilled enough to be keeping Semenov out of the lineup, Brewer has been making too many mental mistakes and Bergie is still having occasional problems with consistency, but Cross, Staios and Smith are doing exactly what is expected of them.

My 2 cents...

Old
10-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Digger12

Good post.

Although I would say his offensive production is partially due to getting WAY more PP time than he should, I would have to agree he hasn't been THAT bad.

I have only 2 problems with him:

-Plays 5 minutes/night more than I would like.
-Contract is at least 1 year too long.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:08 AM
vb

Good post!

It's nice to see a guy like Cross back there IMO, very solid, smart, poised and plays to his potential unlike so many other guys on the team - he doesn't have the greatest skill set but he makes the most of it.

In the next 3 years I hope he'll rub off on Brewer and Semenov the same way Carboneau did with Modano.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:11 AM
ZIM

vCash:
He is a scoring machine. In 17 games as an Oiler (excluding playoffs) he has 9 points. He is headed for a 40 point year.

What I like is his reach. He may appear to be beat to the outside but you still can't get by the reach. He takes his man in the corners. Semenov could learn a lesson here.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:31 AM
hockeyaddict101

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Now I have long been an enemy of Cory Cross. He's slow and a former Leaf, two big no-nos from where I stand.

That being said, he's getting unjustified grief on this board.

Cross is a simple, unspectacular defenseman and I think he's done an admirable job so far. I've screamed at the TV on Brewer giveaways a number of times but not about Cross. I've cursed Bergeron for letting the puck skip the zone on a powerplay but not Cross. I've gotten angry with Semenov for pinching at the wrong time and getting caught but not Cross.

In all honesty, as much as I loathe his skill set, he is doing his job back there. He's a calming influence, he is rarely caught out of position, he knows his weaknesses and compensates for them and somehow—this one baffles me above all else—he's an offensive contributor.

Fergie isn't skilled enough to be keeping Semenov out of the lineup, Brewer has been making too many mental mistakes and Bergie is still having occasional problems with consistency, but Cross, Staios and Smith are doing exactly what is expected of them.

My 2 cents...
He has been very consistent and has been great offensively since he has been an Oiler.

He has been great.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

This is a much needed post. Thank you for doing so ... I was too chicken to feel the backlash and wrath of many posters. The fact is, Corry Cross has done wonderful yeoman service since arriving in Edmonton. He eats minutes (perhaps a bit too many per game), chips in with unexpected offense by doing the simple things - put the puck on net, safe passes and generally good judgment in the offensive zone. Cross has imo played more physically in Edmonton than I recall during his previous league tours in Toronto and New York. Clears the net fairly well. Last playoff, he has a very calming and reliable complement to Eric Brewer. This year, he appears at this juncture (for the most part) to be cleaning up Brewer's mistakes.

So, yes his foot speed is very bad and Cross has been sometimes prone to bad turnovers but overall he has been a positive contributor on the back end. Sometimes slow and steady does indeed win the race.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:39 AM
windowlicker

maybe the reason theres a backlash against him is hes keeping some of our younger D prospects out of the lineup. Lets face it, as a oiler fan, Im Much more excited to see Semenov on the PP, or MAB leading a rush up ice, rather than seeing Cross be consistent.

about Fergie though, hes consistent too, but its becoming obvious that his time is almost up. anyone know what kind of a contract hes on? lenght?

Old
10-22-2003, 12:11 PM
hockeyaddict101

Cross hasn't committed any more giveways

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
maybe the reason theres a backlash against him is hes keeping some of our younger D prospects out of the lineup. Lets face it, as a oiler fan, Im Much more excited to see Semenov on the PP, or MAB leading a rush up ice, rather than seeing Cross be consistent.

about Fergie though, hes consistent too, but its becoming obvious that his time is almost up. anyone know what kind of a contract hes on? lenght?
Than any other member of the defensive core and has provided more offense than a player like Bergeron who fans give a lot of slack because of the offence he MAY provide but hasn't yet.

Cross was one of the main reasons we made the playoffs last year a fact ignored by many of the Cross detractors.

I can remember two Cross giveaways this year that were bad but I could say the same about every Oiler defender.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:05 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I will admit - as right as I was about Moreau - I was have been proven equally wrong about Cross. I, as many others have posted, feel that he IS getting a bit to much ice time and powerplay time, but I'm affraid he'd been making the most of his chances, and if he could continue at this pace (it is folly to think that he actually will) then he will be our number one Dman with 55 points. If he gets HALF of that I'll be pleased with him. I think we can seriously afford to move one of our blueliners in the Comrie deal or else move two and get an upgrade as Seminov is one of the best blueliners in the league sitting in the PB - Luoma is/would be a solid number seven.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:13 PM
OYLer

3 points (only behind Staios) 30 shifts, 22 minutes per game. Top four D-man numbers here. Where's the beef? Cross doesn't take dumb penalties and usually makes the smart easy play. Hey the Oilers' could use 8 solid D-man and some would want to trade or sit him. Very few hockey games are won in the last 3 minutes, those 57 minutes of ebb and flow, before desperation sets in, need a steady attention to fundamentally sound hockey. Cross has been doing his job, shift in and shift out at plus 1 ... Enuff said!

Old
10-22-2003, 05:42 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Awesome post.

I have seen 4 games this year, and I haven't had a single problem with his game. One thing I have noticed is when he gets caught on a pinch, he takes the man out, and almost everytime there is enough support behind him to nullify his risk.

This is a combination of his defence partner doing the right thing, and him making sure his butt is covered.

Also, I loved his play on Forsberg in the 1st period. Forsberg had the wing wide open, and Cross just cut him off, and shoved him into the corner.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:58 PM
gretzky2kurri

The guy has the wingspan of a 747 and knows how to use it.

Remember when Brewer used to hit all the time? Well at least Cross does sometimes.

I also likes how he can keep his shot down and if the perfect shot isn't there......at least he somehow hovers it into the slot. He doesn't haul back a make the shot if the shot is clearly not there. He doesn't always wrap it off the glass...........like another tall Oiler defenseman that used to hit and just has TONS of upside..........so I'm told.

Like I've said in the past, he has limited offensive skills, but alot of offensive smarts. That assist to Smith was nice last night. In the last 5 minutes he pinched to get in all alone on Osgood. Ozzie made a brilliant save. It woulda been 5-5 and Cross woulda been a hero.

I'm excited about him. I think he can keep it up.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Like I've said in the past, he has limited offensive skills, but alot of offensive smarts. That assist to Smith was nice last night. In the last 5 minutes he pinched to get in all alone on Osgood. Ozzie made a brilliant save. It woulda been 5-5 and Cross woulda been a hero.
Yeah, and his offense hasn't been too bad as well. He makes a good first past out of the zone which won't get you a point, but will help the team create scoring chances. For me, Cross has been alot better than I thought he would.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:17 AM
M00se

I was afraid to write a post like this too. Cross has impressed me immensly this year. I still don't think he should be getting top two minutes and I hate the fact that Semenov is sitting, but I don't think that it should be at the expense of Cross. It just puts us in a much better position trade wise.

Where are all the posters who were cursing the name of Lowe when he traded Pisa and got Cross? Where's Pisa? Somewhere in Europe. Where's Cross? Playing as one of our most solid defencemen. I realize that there was alot more to that deal but essentially that is how it played out.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
I was afraid to write a post like this too. Cross has impressed me immensly this year. I still don't think he should be getting top two minutes and I hate the fact that Semenov is sitting, but I don't think that it should be at the expense of Cross. It just puts us in a much better position trade wise.

Where are all the posters who were cursing the name of Lowe when he traded Pisa and got Cross? Where's Pisa? Somewhere in Europe. Where's Cross? Playing as one of our most solid defencemen. I realize that there was alot more to that deal but essentially that is how it played out.
Lowe must have known something about Pisa going to Europe. He doesn't get credit for foresight as often as he should.

Cross plays unremarkably and seems to be beat a lot, but as I have said before his +/- numbers are incredible. I think he lead the horrible Rangers last year with +17 or something like that. He always had a high +/- in To as well.

Not pretty, but seems to be effective.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:30 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
He is a scoring machine. I

Old
10-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Master Lok

Thanks Serum! Good call! I was much like everyone else, not very appreciative of Cross in preseason but he is doing very well so far into the season.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:54 PM
LawnDemon

G2K asked me a question about why i'm not impressed with cross in another thread. seems to me that it makes sense to add that commentary to this topic as well so here goes (copy/paste)...

you know, i'll be honest... i think my dislike of cory cross transcends the logical into the emotional. i've never liked the guy. ever... so i will admit that my opinion is, more than likely, rather tainted. i was disgusted when he became an oiler and almost sick to my stomach when i heard what lowe decided to pay him (especially relative to staios).

but even when i try really hard to be objective (and i honestly am trying) i find very little to be positive about. yes, he has contributed offensively. he has also blown some defensive assignments that are so rudimentary it defies logic.

cross is paid (too much) to play solid defense. NOT to pinch along the boards. how many good pinches does it take to make up for a bad one? the guys who should be pinching are brewer and bergeron. cross should be hanging back to cover for the legitimate talent. people are all over brewer for his bad start but they forget he is paired with cross. true - brewer has made some bad plays. however, if you rewind the tape you'll notice that MANY (not all) of those bad plays are in scramble situations following a cross screw up.

basically, cross is playing over his head. people are only seeing the fluky offense (i mean come on, smith had to bat that "pass" out of the air and his PP goal bounced off foote). what people are missing is how much cross is hurting the team by playing outside of his role.

maybe i'm way off base and my dislike for the guy is making his errors more glaringly obvious to me? that's is probably the case... but do me a favor and watch closely tonight for what i'm talking about. i'd be interested to know if anyone else sees it the way i do.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se

I already stepped up as one of the guys who thought Cross wasn't deserving of top four minutes, and have already said, that I'm glad to say that he has put me in a position through six games to stuff my foot in my mouth! I love when Oilers I don't think will succed do that!

Old
10-25-2003, 10:22 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I already stepped up as one of the guys who thought Cross wasn't deserving of top four minutes, and have already said, that I'm glad to say that he has put me in a position through six games to stuff my foot in my mouth! I love when Oilers I don't think will succed do that!
I like what Cross has brought to the team - he's brutal skating, but his reach and size more than makes up for this. He knows to keep the puck low and on net - I've seen MAB rocket too many off the glass high behind the goaltender already for my taste, and Brewer doesn't seem to always go for the simple shot - and he doesn't take bad penalties. I've always been cautiously optimistic about him, after a blistering tirade to myself right after I heard about the trade. He's a real team player, and let's face it - the Oilers need a few old guys to settle them down and show them how it's done. I'd like to see him hit punishingly more often, but I suspect with his skating that'd be as likely to take him out of the play altogether - so just knocking pucks off of sticks, the simple plays, works for him.

I think if Brewer (and, indeed, the other D, but Big Brew's the biggest offender I think) was playing as well as he can, Cross wouldn't be as required. It's nice to see Smith return to form though!

Closed Thread