HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 07:50 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report

Hey guys, figure I'll make this an every game thing, being as I have season tickets and those of us who don't get to the games like to hear as much as possible, away we go:

A very boring and lackluster game until the third period. Maybe it was nerves, I'm not sure, but the Oil didn't look so good in the first two. That changed in the third though, as we played the fast, offensive, pressure-style hockey that we need to in order to win games. SJ is a pretty bad team this year, but still, gotta take only positives out of this game.

That said:

Lagging Behind:

Ferguson: aka, Old and slow. Not a very good game at all, Bergeron carried him all night and kept bailing him out. I can see him gone, or at least out of the lineup, very soon.

Pisani: Not what Fernando needed with the fwd depth right now. Lackluster performance here.

Conklin: Bad night opening the gate, waterbottle tossing wasn't accurate....poor Ty, POOR

Middle of the pack:

Reasoner, Moreau, Isbister, Smith, Brewer, Cross.

Reasoner just couldn't buy a break, Moreau missed some nice chances, Isbister, although injured, shoulda had a lot better night, kept freezing, Smith was just average, Brewer looked out of it some of the night, Cross was actually pretty good, but didn't feel he played in the upper level tonight.

Up there:

Horcoff: fairly good game, benefitted from GREAT performances by linemates, consistent performance at this level is needed.

Dvorak: Great game for a guy who's mind has to be elsewhere. BEAUTY pass to Smytty for his 2nd goal.

Staios: He's reliable Stevey, what can I say.

York: Should have been better tonight, but good enough.

Chimera: Very nice game, have a feeling he could score a bunch this year if he keeps goin to the net hard and Ales is feedin it to him.

Salo: Did his job, good enough.

Leading the Pack:

Torres: Great game from the kid, skating hard, very excited, hopefully he can keep that energy level up.

Bergeron: He's at least #5 on that defence right now, carried Fergy all night, absolute PURRFECT pass to Dvorak, very nice game, had 1 or 2 slight mishaps, but nothing that wasn't easily recoverable from.

Laraque: MACHINE tonight. Awesome game. Made that line go. Shoulda scored a couple.

Smyth: Keep it up Ryan, that's all I have to say, keep it up and you get the 'C'.

And last, anything but least, you know who's comin...

Hemsky: What can't this guy do? PP, PK, 5-on-5, drove the Sharks nuts, 2 points on a night that wasn't even that good from him, coulda had more, AWESOME defensive plays, this kid does it ALL, plain and simple. Him and Smytty lead this team offensively right now, no question.

With all that said...PLEASE, KLowe, Sign Mikey, this team would be off the charts with him in the lineup if the boys keep bringin it. And Mikey, PLEASE sign here, we need you, and you need this. You're an Oiler, and you're part of what is building here.

Excellent start to the season.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Almost forgot as well, but I'm sure everyone else has commented, but the Fuhr ceremony was excellent. He really seemed to enjoy it, and I think everyone watching had to have. I do hope the fact that Mikey didn't get to be there does get to him, and how much he is a part of what this team is. Again, just an excellent way of handling the raising of a guy's jersey to the rafters. And Fuhr in the retro goalie gear, totally called that one, and it was pretty awesome to see.

Saw Billy after the game too, looks like he could still play, although there's a little extra fat showin in his face

Old
10-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Oiltown16

I look forward to these reports...

only really disagree with you on the Pisani thing...I thought he played decently tonight, got in a couple scrums by going hard to the net.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:43 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
I look forward to these reports...

only really disagree with you on the Pisani thing...I thought he played decently tonight, got in a couple scrums by going hard to the net.
Nice to hear that, it's because you know I'm crazed right?

I liked that Pisani got his nose dirty too, but he just wasn't on his game tonight to me, and that's not good for him with who's waiting behind him. Fernando has to get off to a good start, and pop the occasional goal.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
I was with you on everything till you started begging for Comrie to come back. No we don't need him. We should deal him away with a Dman or for a Dman that can replace Ferguson or Cross/Smith.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life
I was with you on everything till you started begging for Comrie to come back. No we don't need him. We should deal him away with a Dman or for a Dman that can replace Ferguson or Cross/Smith.
We arnt going to score 5 goals every game...yes we do need comrie...If we werent playing such a bad team we might not have won that game...Nabokov was not sharp tonight and we WILL need comrie!! This team will be that much better with him

Old
10-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
hehe we can argue about this all night, but in my mind, I think we're a better team without him. We need a balance of players that drive to the net and the ones to set them up. So far we have that on all the lines, Mike would disrupt the balanace and also disrupt the chemistry we already have.

I agree, we won't score 5 goals a game. But we can also trade him away for a solid dman

Old
10-10-2003, 02:58 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Nice to hear that, it's because you know I'm crazed right?

I liked that Pisani got his nose dirty too, but he just wasn't on his game tonight to me, and that's not good for him with who's waiting behind him. Fernando has to get off to a good start, and pop the occasional goal.
I agree with your assessment of Pisani. I posted my report in the game day thread and didn't mention him. First game jitters maybe, but definately one of those players that Rita could replace at some point during the season.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:09 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
hehe we can argue about this all night, but in my mind, I think we're a better team without him. We need a balance of players that drive to the net and the ones to set them up. So far we have that on all the lines, Mike would disrupt the balanace and also disrupt the chemistry we already have.

I agree, we won't score 5 goals a game. But we can also trade him away for a solid dman
Please, if comrie came back, in my mind, that makes pisani our PB guy. Honestly, who would you rather have..Pisani or Comrie????:

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Chimera-Comrie-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque

It just givesthe 3rd line that much more punch(offensive) IMO.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:34 AM
gretzky2kurri

I'm convinced this team will be fine without "Mike Icandoitallbymyselfandtheplayalwaysdieswithme Comrie."

I have a hunch.....just a hunch....that perhaps the room might be a little more cohesive without this particular "individual".

Soon Hemsky will be rushing up the ice even more often than Comrie did with the puck. And he will be ALOT less predictable than Mr. toe-drag, I never pass, Mike.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:42 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
After seeing the hi-lights from last night, Laraque should get an assist on Torres' goal.

I am almost certain he tipped Staois' shot...

But even if he didn't tip it and didn't get an assist, he had both Sharks defenders completely focused on him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him and Smyth work the front of the net on the pp all the time...

I mean, all you need to do is get a shot on goal through, and you have Laraque pissing everyone off, and Smyth burrying the garbage.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:02 AM
barto

Good call on Hemsky getting some PK time - I meant to mention that in the game-day thread but got off-track on other points. I was *shocked* to see him out there at first, with the guys we have with more experience & such (Reasoner, Moreau, Smyth, York) but I *liked* it. Anything to get the kid more ice time is probably a good thing, and he didn't look out of place there. That might have been an experiment to use *just* with San Jose - maybe we won't see it against a team like Vancouver on Saturday, but it's a good idea. I remember when we first started using Smyth to kill penalties years ago, and Weight. Good move!

Bart

Old
10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I'm convinced this team will be fine without "Mike Icandoitallbymyselfandtheplayalwaysdieswithme Comrie."

I have a hunch.....just a hunch....that perhaps the room might be a little more cohesive without this particular "individual".

Soon Hemsky will be rushing up the ice even more often than Comrie did with the puck. And he will be ALOT less predictable than Mr. toe-drag, I never pass, Mike.
Read this post and I just kept going yup....yup....yup....yup

The Oil are soooooo balanced now on the forward lines that having Comrie there expecting the "royal" treatment would seriously screw things up. Obviously having another high quality player (especially a center) wouldn't be a bad thing - and a guy like Stefan could probably fit into this situation very well. But "fit" is the key word on this team now - and either a player makes a big effort to play a team game first or he's not on the ice. That doesn't sound like MC to me.

So a guy like Stefan (so that one of our natural LW can go back there) or a primo young dman works for me in a Comrie trade.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:50 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Read this post and I just kept going yup....yup....yup....yup

The Oil are soooooo balanced now on the forward lines that having Comrie there expecting the "royal" treatment would seriously screw things up.
Over the next 2 weeks we play Vancouver, Colorado (twice), St.Louis and Buffalo, teams that are likely to finish with better records. Beating a bad San Jose team means nothing. Let's see where we are in 2 weeks.

I wonder how Comrie would play with Moreau and Pisani. According to LMHF#1 Pisani didn't have a good game.Maybe Comrie could replace him and Reasoner could still play. Either way the Oilers are better with Comrie.

Semenov, IMO has been carried by his partners for at least a year, Ferguson and Cross are weak spots. We need help but trading a top offensive player for anything other than a top 2 D is a waste.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
Over the next 2 weeks we play Vancouver, Colorado (twice), St.Louis and Buffalo, teams that are likely to finish with better records. Beating a bad San Jose team means nothing. Let's see where we are in 2 weeks.

I wonder how Comrie would play with Moreau and Pisani. According to LMHF#1 Pisani didn't have a good game.Maybe Comrie could replace him and Reasoner could still play. Either way the Oilers are better with Comrie.

Semenov, IMO has been carried by his partners for at least a year, Ferguson and Cross are weak spots. We need help but trading a top offensive player for anything other than a top 2 D is a waste.
The Oilers are better with Comrie?

Here's a look at last years Oiler forwards +/- last season. I didn't include Dvorak, Isbister, Dopita, Rita.......just players with over 35 games with the Oilers. Carter had a -11 for all last season, I couldn't find his +/- as only an Oiler last year though.

Comrie..........-18
York.............-08
Swanson.......-07
Moreau.........-07
Laraque........-04
Chimera........-02
Smyth..........+05
Hemsky........+05
Cleary..........+05
Pisani...........+09
Horcoff.........+10
Marchant......+13
Reasoner......+19

I know alot of people don't like +/-, but that's a little telling.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Oilers4life

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
Please, if comrie came back, in my mind, that makes pisani our PB guy. Honestly, who would you rather have..Pisani or Comrie????:

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Chimera-Comrie-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque

It just givesthe 3rd line that much more punch(offensive) IMO.

Who would I rather have on this team right now? Pisani. He does alot more than Comrie can. Comrie can score, yes, but his inconsistency in his own zone is costing us more than he is pushing out.

I learned that offense isn't everything, and Comrie was a -18 last season. What would you rather have?

Old
10-10-2003, 10:56 AM
copperandblue

I loved Chimera's goal last night. I think it was really positive indication of how this kid is coming along.

Last year if he took that pass at the same spot I would bet the farm he shoots it right into Nabokov's pads. I think the patience he showed by taking the one extra stride to get around him for the empty net shows some serious progress.

Here's hoping it continues.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:08 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I loved Chimera's goal last night. I think it was really positive indication of how this kid is coming along.

Last year if he took that pass at the same spot I would bet the farm he shoots it right into Nabokov's pads. I think the patience he showed by taking the one extra stride to get around him for the empty net shows some serious progress.

Here's hoping it continues.
Although I agree that there are alot of great things to come for Chimera. I felt Nabi really fluffed that one. Threw him self out too early. Smyths 2nd goal was nice too.......but I don't think Nabi played that one too smart either.

Not to take anything away from last night though. It's true.....last season on most nights many Oilers would have just bounced that one off Nabakovs pillows.

Great smarts hanging on like that at a good clip of speed.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:50 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
Please, if comrie came back, in my mind, that makes pisani our PB guy. Honestly, who would you rather have..Pisani or Comrie????
Comrie by a landslide. I think some people are forgetting that he broke 30 goals and was a 60+ point player and a 51+ point player when injured. -18 last year, yes, but look up his 2001-02 +/- stats.

And I don't buy that Comrie would disrupt the lines. It would move Smyth back to a position where he truly excels.

Smyth Comrie Dvorak
Isbister York Hemsky

You can't convince me right now that that isn't a serious improvement on the current top 6.

Old
10-10-2003, 12:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Who would I rather have on this team right now? Pisani. He does alot more than Comrie can. Comrie can score, yes, but his inconsistency in his own zone is costing us more than he is pushing out.

I learned that offense isn't everything, and Comrie was a -18 last season. What would you rather have?
Seriously, think about that for a couple extra seconds. Fernando Pisani, a good 4th line hockey player, who, up until last year no one thought even had a shot at this team, VS. Mike Comrie, a 1st/2nd line hockey player, with the ability to enhance greatly a team's chance to win games, put up points, and make his teammates better. Right up until the end of last season, that kind of comment on Pisani would be laughed out of the room, if not shouted down and scolded. I think it should still be laughed out of the room personally. Look at the bigger picture here, Comrie can help this team win alot more games, alot more of the time, than Pisani can.

BTW, see alot of "we're good enough" comments on here. What's that about? No team is "good enough" until it is holding a large silver trophy after the last game of the season.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Shizuka

You miss alot of the play away from the puck...

...I guess on TV it looks quite different, when it comes to evaluating players. You miss alot of the play away from the action. MA looked pretty decent but I thought he still struggled physically against bigger opponents i.e. Marleau. I actually think Chimera struggled too, he seemed to fight the puck a bit until he settled down. Is it just me, or are the players having more problems getting the puck to "sit"? Dvo was struggling too I think, but that's understandable given his personal circumstances.

I think Semenov will switch off for Ferguson this Saturday as well. Fergy didn't look very good, slow and his outlet pass seemed to take longer. Maybe MacT will interchange MA and Semmy though? I'm still concerned about how he will handle the bigger forwards on the Canucks...

Old
10-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
...I guess on TV it looks quite different, when it comes to evaluating players. You miss alot of the play away from the action. MA looked pretty decent but I thought he still struggled physically against bigger opponents i.e. Marleau. I actually think Chimera struggled too, he seemed to fight the puck a bit until he settled down. Is it just me, or are the players having more problems getting the puck to "sit"? Dvo was struggling too I think, but that's understandable given his personal circumstances.

I think Semenov will switch off for Ferguson this Saturday as well. Fergy didn't look very good, slow and his outlet pass seemed to take longer. Maybe MacT will interchange MA and Semmy though? I'm still concerned about how he will handle the bigger forwards on the Canucks...

Semanov will be in for Fergy for sure!

I think Mac T had him upstairs to send him a message. He didn't exactly dazzle in the preseason and hopefully that makes him a little pissed.

They really want Semmy to play with more of a mean streak and use that size to his advantage.

I'd like to see him use that big shot of his a little more as well. Just as long as he keeps it low for the tip. No need to hit guys in the head like another big russian defenseman we used to have did.

I'd also like to see all of our D-men take some more one-timers and shots just wide of the net hoping for a good bounce. That can be avery effective play and keeps opposing teams on their toes.

Closed Thread