HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perrault vs Robitaille.....did we make the right decision?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2005, 11:06 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Perrault vs Robitaille.....did we make the right decision?

It's still early iin the season, but thought I would compare how Perrault is doing here compared to Randy Robitaille in MIN. Here are their stats so far:

RANDY ROBITAILLE C MIN GP11 G1 A6 Pts7 PIM16 +/- +1 PPGoals0 Shots15 Shot%6.7 TOI/G13:08 Shift/G20.5 FO% 53.2

YANIC PERREAULT C NSH GP10 G4 A3 Pts7 PIM2 +/- -5 PPGoals3 Shots19 Shot%21.1 TOI/G14:14 Shift/G18.9 FO%60.6

Both are receiving 2nd unit PP time.

These number tell me a couple things:

Robitaille is probably more defensively responsible than what he was when he was back with the Preds and is arguably more responsible than Perrault.

Robitaille has had more of a hand in creating rather than finishing....whereas Perrault is the opposite.

Perrault has had a significant influence on the whole teams faceoff% with Nashville's top 5 centers averaging 56.7% and Minn's top 5 centers averaging 52.3%. Perrault is #1 for the Preds, Robitaille is #3 for Minn.

All in all, I think Trotz made the right decision....but I certainly think that it is debateable at this point.

Old
10-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Robitaille can skate like the wind while Perreault's skating compares to that of Dave Andreychuk. If not for any other it's that one reason I'd take him over Yanic anytime... but as you said, it's debatable

Old
10-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Robitaille for me thanks

Old
10-30-2005, 12:15 PM
vopatsrash

here's another wrinkle, though it's perhaps a stretch.

Robitaille is a skilled AAAA guy who has excelled at the AHL level and has struggled to find consistency at the NHL level. Kris Beech is seen as a skilled AAAA guy, though not identical in his game as Robo, who has put up AHL numbers and struggled in the NHL. And, he's younger than Robo (24 to 30).

If you consider that Robo is pretty much being a more solid version of his past self and isn't tearing it up, i think it can be said to be the right move for that moment. We added a veteran presence to the team that is hopefully influencing the younger guys and it has been a wash compared to Robo so far points-wise. If YP drastically falls off, he's got a 2 way contract, and we have another skilled underachieving center in the Robo mode in Milwaukee to bring up. The contract, the parachute in Beech, and the faceoffs make it a wash at worst, imo.

Old
10-30-2005, 12:22 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
Robitaille for me thanks
Still to early for me to get off the fence....give me 20 games and I'll let you know.

Hey Seamus...we enjoyed meeting you last night....nice to put a face with the name.

Old
10-30-2005, 12:23 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
here's another wrinkle, though it's perhaps a stretch.

Robitaille is a skilled AAAA guy who has excelled at the AHL level and has struggled to find consistency at the NHL level. Kris Beech is seen as a skilled AAAA guy, though not identical in his game as Robo, who has put up AHL numbers and struggled in the NHL. And, he's younger than Robo (24 to 30).

If you consider that Robo is pretty much being a more solid version of his past self and isn't tearing it up, i think it can be said to be the right move for that moment. We added a veteran presence to the team that is hopefully influencing the younger guys and it has been a wash compared to Robo so far points-wise. If YP drastically falls off, he's got a 2 way contract, and we have another skilled underachieving center in the Robo mode in Milwaukee to bring up. The contract, the parachute in Beech, and the faceoffs make it a wash at worst, imo.
all excellent points vopats.....I guess we will really never know the locker room influence and chemistry factor of Perrault vs Robitaille.....

Old
10-30-2005, 12:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I've watched Robo in a couple of Minny games this year...and I said it at the time...and I'll say it again, we made the wrong choice. Perreault has had some timely, opportunistic goals, but how many goals has he given up? how many PP's are squandered because he can't retain the puck or pass it to save his life? Robo has impressed me with his speed and passing in particular, and his defense hasn't looked bad, either.

I'm not crazy about either, but it just feels like Perreault is the sort of filler guy we would have signed in 01-02...not 05-06. He's noticeably weaker in every way than any other forward in the top six.

Old
10-30-2005, 01:03 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I've watched Robo in a couple of Minny games this year...and I said it at the time...and I'll say it again, we made the wrong choice. Perreault has had some timely, opportunistic goals, but how many goals has he given up? how many PP's are squandered because he can't retain the puck or pass it to save his life? Robo has impressed me with his speed and passing in particular, and his defense hasn't looked bad, either.

I'm not crazy about either, but it just feels like Perreault is the sort of filler guy we would have signed in 01-02...not 05-06. He's noticeably weaker in every way than any other forward in the top six.
All that being said....I still have doubts in my mind that we are 8-1-1 right now if we have Robitaille instead of Perrault....granted we could easily be 4-4-2 without some opportune goals right now.....but some of those opportune goals were by the Orange Cone....

Old
10-30-2005, 01:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
All that being said....I still have doubts in my mind that we are 8-1-1 right now if we have Robitaille instead of Perrault....granted we could easily be 4-4-2 without some opportune goals right now.....but some of those opportune goals were by the Orange Cone....

maybe, maybe not. that sort of analysis is impossible...but think...

none of perreault's goals have been game winners...and how many goals were scored were directly a result of perreault's actions...against us? a few.

it works both ways with that. i don't think perreault has been, in any way, a difference maker. he's not even the best faceoff guy on the TEAM, this year.

Old
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Habsaku

You guys definetly made the wrong choice, Robitaille wouldve fit youre team much more. Perreault is a filler at best.

Old
10-30-2005, 01:15 PM
handtrick

Quote:
he's not even the best faceoff guy on the TEAM, this year.
Not to nitpick, but he IS our best faceoff guy this year...by a whopping 0.2%
Perrault - 60.6%
Johnson - 60.4%
Hall - 60.3%
Nichol - 59.3%

And in addition...GWG is overated....some goals are HUGE momentum goals that don't wind up in the stat sheet as GWG....

Old
10-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Not to nitpick
yeah, like you'd never do that

Old
10-30-2005, 01:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but he IS our best faceoff guy this year...by a whopping 0.2%
Perrault - 60.6%
Johnson - 60.4%
Hall - 60.3%
Nichol - 59.3%

And in addition...GWG is overated....some goals are HUGE momentum goals that don't wind up in the stat sheet as GWG....

So, you'd say that Perreault has brought more to the team this year than he's taken away? Because I can't agree. At this point, I'd take Robo, easily...and maybe even give Beech a try. Too bad he has to clear waivers.

Old
10-30-2005, 01:43 PM
handtrick

Quote:
So, you'd say that Perreault has brought more to the team this year than he's taken away? Because I can't agree. At this point, I'd take Robo, easily...and maybe even give Beech a try. Too bad he has to clear waivers.

In my mind it is a wash Nomore....I am not a big Perrault fan, although it may sound like I am. I think the jury is still out. I think he definitely has helped in team faceoffs which has become a strength instead of a liability and this, by itself, has altered some game outcomes. He can bury the goals around the net in traffic. He is a big defensive liability at this point, and his creative ability is almost nonexistent.
So he is a wash in my mind right now.

As to Beech...he may be leading the team in goals right now with 4...but I have only listened to one game inwhich he scored two, and both sounded weak. So I can't judge how he is really doing down there as far as defense, creativeness, hustle etc.

Old
10-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Pred303

i understand why trotz made the decision to go with perreault over robitaille..... and i honestly believe that trotz must have a good reason..maybe it's in the clubhouse.. maybe trotz simply doesn't like robitaille.. maybe trotz has always admired something about perreault's game.. i'm sure it's something that i cann't see yet.. because in my mind, robitaille was better than perrault in camp, and is significantly younger and of course significantly faster

knowing we cann't know what went into the decision makes me not want to second guess trotz's here.. so i reserve judgement on the decision until about the 20 odd game mark..

i have never doubted from a purely point contribution point of view that robitaille would have putten up a minimum of 10-15 more points than perreault given the spot perreault is playing between walker and sullivan and getting to center the 2nd line pp unit.. but obviously it had to be more than points here.. i just don't see what it is yet

Old
10-30-2005, 06:52 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
he has to clear waivers to come up?

Old
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
he has to clear waivers to come up?

Yup

Old
10-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Pred303

did beech not renegotiate his minor league deal down to 75k so he wouldn't have to clear waivers to be called back up?...cann't remember if i heard that or not

Old
10-31-2005, 09:05 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
We don't need a scoring 2nd line center. We have wings that can score. We need the setup type, and Perrault hasn't shown that thus far.

Old
10-31-2005, 09:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
We don't need a scoring 2nd line center. We have wings that can score. We need the setup type, and Perrault hasn't shown that thus far.

That's my point. He's a HORRIBLE passer...one of the worst on the team(Nichol and even Stevenson and Hordichuk are even better!) whereas Robo and Beech are both advertised as being top-notch playmakers. It's just frustrating to see, and I'd not be sad to see Yanic waived\sent down(he DOES have a two way contract.) and I'd be even happier to see him plucked off waivers.

Old
10-31-2005, 09:51 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
wait, beech has to clear waivers to be called up? crappy. At this point, if he didn't have to clear to be called up, I'd rather us take our chances with him. perreault has been a complete slacker and only has 6 points out of gifts from his linemates and lucky rebounds.

Old
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
muddycreek*

Taking too many nights off!

Closed Thread