HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Would It Take to Make Kolzig a King?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2005, 01:33 PM
PACaptain

vCash: 500
What Would It Take to Make Kolzig a King?

I have had this idea for a while and suggested it in a few seperate threads but after watching both Mathieu Garon and Jason LaBarbera play unimpressively last night I want a few other people's opinions. Olaf Kolzig has played well in net for the Capitals for many years but now with him aging and the team rebuilding, the time for moving him seems like now. The Kings seem to have everything but a reliable goaltender to make a serious playoff run. So what would Washington want in returnf or this trade to go down?

Old
10-29-2005, 02:05 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain
I have had this idea for a while and suggested it in a few seperate threads but after watching both Mathieu Garon and Jason LaBarbera play unimpressively last night I want a few other people's opinions. Olaf Kolzig has played well in net for the Capitals for many years but now with him aging and the team rebuilding, the time for moving him seems like now. The Kings seem to have everything but a reliable goaltender to make a serious playoff run. So what would Washington want in returnf or this trade to go down?
Did you watch the game yesterday or have you watched Jason play any games? Just to let you know TSN has him as #1 player in the NHL right now or he was last thing not sure TSN but whatever does the player ratings. That being said Jason has been amazing to say the least yes Garon hasn't been the best but his talent is highly visible and i'm sure he'll turn it around - How are they playing unimpressively yet we are #1 in the pacific division and Jason has a perfect record

Old
10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If I were the Caps, I'd hold on to Kolzig until the deadline, and then take some desperate team to the cleaners (prospects, 1st round pick, etc). But, that is just me....

Old
10-29-2005, 02:13 PM
FerrisRox

I would think the Kings would need to build a proposal around Tim Gleason to bring Olaf Kolzig in from Washington.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Crossroads*

I believe Kolzig has said he would retire if traded from the Caps. His son is sick and there is a specialized clinic in Washington. If he were to be traded, he would not have access to that clinic and thus his reason for saying he'll retire.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
If I were the Caps, I'd hold on to Kolzig until the deadline, and then take some desperate team to the cleaners (prospects, 1st round pick, etc). But, that is just me....
Yeah, like they did with Oates.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:20 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Did you watch the game yesterday or have you watched Jason play any games? Just to let you know TSN has him as #1 player in the NHL right now or he was last thing not sure TSN but whatever does the player ratings. That being said Jason has been amazing to say the least yes Garon hasn't been the best but his talent is highly visible and i'm sure he'll turn it around - How are they playing unimpressively yet we are #1 in the pacific division and Jason has a perfect record
LaBarbera has been doing well but I would not be comfortable with either as the Kings #1 goalie going into the playoffs. I feel like LaBarbera has been good but I think he did get the loss last night. He also makes me very nervous in net, something about his style.

The Kings can roll four quality lines and as long as Corvo and Gleason continue to play like they have been, this is a team that can come out of the West. I think Dave Taylor and Andy Murray would want to be sure this is a true contender before moving for Kolzig. From what I have seen, this team has been very good even with Roenick not really producing and assorted injuries throughout the lineup. I cannot see either LaBarbera or Garon holding up in the playoffs.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:24 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
I could definitely see that especially since there are some teams with goaltending issues. Kolzig and Ovechkin have been the Caps from what I have seen of them (which has only been two games but it was pretty obvious in those games). Eventually they will need a new goaltender there and teams like the Kings and Oilers are unsettled in net. I was just wondering what it would take to get Kolzig into a Kings jersey.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Verbal Kint*

A coronation.

Que drums.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
I believe Kolzig has said he would retire if traded from the Caps. His son is sick and there is a specialized clinic in Washington. If he were to be traded, he would not have access to that clinic and thus his reason for saying he'll retire.
I actually did not know about Olaf's son but I have heard the he might retire if moved from the Caps. Those are things that would have to be considered, but I was wondering what his value would be if moved. Even if Kolzig just played the stretch run and playoffs with the Kings (sorry I hate the rent-a-player term). I remember hearing that he was considering retirement regardless of the Caps decision on whether to keep him during the lockout but I can't recall who the source was and how reliable they were.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Taranis_24

Send a message via MSN to Taranis_24
Quote:
I actually did not know about Olaf's son but I have heard the he might retire if moved from the Caps. Those are things that would have to be considered, but I was wondering what his value would be if moved. Even if Kolzig just played the stretch run and playoffs with the Kings (sorry I hate the rent-a-player term). I remember hearing that he was considering retirement regardless of the Caps decision on whether to keep him during the lockout but I can't recall who the source was and how reliable they were.
Kolzig has a son who is autistic but is no living in Washington State with Kolzig's wife and other kids. Kolzig's wife is from the area and Kolzig makes his off season home in the Northwest. Kolzig has since backed off his retirement statement when it comes to being traded and even has made a comment about wanting to play for a contender but has not requested a trade but don't he's against it either. He's been a true team leader through the early part of the season. Autism is incurable disease but one that has treatments found in most major cities which I would think LA would be able to satisfy. Kolzig is currently sharing an apartment with Witt (family living in their off season home in Florida). It's amazing when everyone talks about Kolzig that the first thing mentioned is his son, the fact is this is now a non-issue. Being a CAPS fan wouldn't want Kolzig traded but could accept it if would benefit the team. Would guess Frolov is the one untouchable. CAPS are looking for young defensemen. So would guess that a Gleason/Labarra(sp) could get it done maybe include a 3rd, contigent on Kolzig signing an extension.

edit: and as of last week made a comment about wanting to play at least another 3 years.

Old
10-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wouldn't trade Gleason for Kolzig straight up.

I'm content to go with Labarbera and Garon.

Old
10-29-2005, 03:09 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
because your the only one who thinks a rent a player is worth that.

Old
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Reaper45

I think Cammalleri would look good next to Ovechkin, what would Caps fans offer up for Cammalleri?

Old
10-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Hollywood

We don't want to give up Camms. He is just starting to believe in himself and I think we can expect big things from Cammy later in the year. We are looking good now and our goalies are giving us chances to win games.
Trading for a new goalie is a whole organizational change and we do not need to do that thus far. Maybe later, possibly. But not now.

Old
10-29-2005, 03:31 PM
salty justice

Right now Labarbera >>> Kolzig

This thread is ridiculous. The Kings are playing great hockey and their area of least concern is goaltending.

Old
10-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Haik

Gleason? No way

Grebeshkov for Kolzig sounds better.

Old
10-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice
Right now Labarbera >>> Kolzig

This thread is ridiculous. The Kings are playing great hockey and their area of least concern is goaltending.
I agree.

Old
10-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbth
because your the only one who thinks a rent a player is worth that.
Rent-a-players traded for at least a 2nd round pick or a high level prospect in recent year (and these are just some off the top of my head):
Brian Leetch
Tony Amonte
Theron Fleury
Adam Oates
Wendel Clark
Peter Bondra
Vlad Malkahov
Valac Varada
Brian Smolinski

So, althought I am the "only one" who think that a rent-a-player is worth that kind of return, it seems like quite a few GMs act on those deals nonetheless.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 10-29-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old
10-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I agree.
I don't think Kolzig makes sense for the Kings either. I agree that the Kings are doing well, and should stand pat for now.

Old
10-29-2005, 04:37 PM
boredmale

i don't think anyteam will trade for Kolzig now because his contract is so high, but come trade deadline, i feel the worst the Caps will get is a 2nd rounder(like Darth said some team might be real desperate and give a 1st). Beyond that(assuming washington is out of playoff race) i think the capitals will get 2nds for witt and freisen(who are both UFA at seasons end).

Old
10-29-2005, 04:51 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Rent-a-players traded for at least a 2nd round pick or a high level prospect in recent year (and these are just some off the top of my head):
Brian Leetch
Tony Amonte
Theron Fleury
Adam Oates
Wendel Clark
Peter Bondra
Vlad Malkahov
Valac Varada
Brian Smolinski

So, althought I am the "only one" who think that a rent-a-player is worth that kind of return, it seems like quite a few GMs act on those deals nonetheless.

So, although I may be the only one who thinks this, there seem to be a bunch of GMs who are making deals of this nature anyway.
I was under the impression that this was the last year of Kolzig contract?

I believe some of those players had multiple years left on their contracts when traded, so i wouldn't call them rent a players.

Old
10-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbth
I was under the impression that this was the last year of Kolzig contract?

I believe some of those players had multiple years left on their contracts when traded, so i wouldn't call them rent a players.
I believe that Valac Varada, Amonte, and Smoke, had years left. The rest were impending UFAs.

Players like that often command elevated prices at deadline because they are economical. You trade a frist rounder for a guy like Fleury, and then you have a 40 goal scorer for the playoffs. But, you are not on the hook for his contract the next year.

Old
10-29-2005, 05:25 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

The Sharks traded Brad Boyes last active season for Curtis Brown, because we were desperate for someone who could win faceoffs.

Obviously I was not a happy camper

Old
10-29-2005, 11:15 PM
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!

First a divorce and then an un-wed Queen?

Closed Thread