HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Would It Take to Make Kolzig a King?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2005, 11:49 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
I expect Kolzig will be moved by the trade deadline. However, McPhee will wait for a great return before he sends him away. Kolzig has played very well to date this season and has held the Caps in several games; he also has been pretty good about the rebuild and working with an inexperienced defense. The Caps are prepared for the eventuality as they picked up Brent Johnson off of waivers to serve as backup and possibly be a starter for the end of the season if Kolzig is traded. Still I think the move will happen closer to the trade deadline when more teams are bidding, etc. Also, more teams will be interested once they have to take on less of Olie's salary. I almost hope he does not get traded, but that makes little sense given the Caps rebuild and the opportunity to gain more assets. Depending on how the season goes, I could even see Kolzig returning to the Caps next season or if the right team and offer combination does not materialize not being traded and signing an extension.

As Taranis has noted, based on interviews he has given, Kolzig's family does not live in the DC area anymore. I recognize that it is hard to keep up with all the info about other team's players, but it is getting tiring reading the continued threads about his family and what would happen if he was traded. Caps' fans have responded to each thread that gets started about Kolzig with the info about his family being in the Northwest, but this misinformation keeps resurfacing. For that matter, Witt's family does not live in DC anymore either. Both of them sold their houses and moved their families, so these are non-issues related to trades.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-30-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old
10-30-2005, 12:24 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
I believe Kolzig has said he would retire if traded from the Caps. His son is sick and there is a specialized clinic in Washington. If he were to be traded, he would not have access to that clinic and thus his reason for saying he'll retire.
to be politically correct, lets use the term autism (if I'm not mistaken) rather than 'sick'...not trying to mock you at all though. the interesting fact about this disorder is that you wouldn't recognize the disease instantaeously in many cases. however, these children do suffer from a developmental delay (language) and social withdrawal...which should be evident as the child grows.

Old
10-30-2005, 12:32 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

He can go to Burger King & get a crown there....he can get it...His way

10-30-2005, 07:34 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Trading Kolzig this early in the season is franchise suicide. After the fire sale they're already trying to keep it afloat with the hockey equivalent of the scab Duke boys or the second (and lesser) Darren Stevens. Kolzig is the only 'face' of the franchise -- if he's gone there's no continuity left for the casual DC area fan.

The DC area is a very weird area to live in. It's a city of tranisents with tons of money and locals with relatively little. Probably the most similar market is the Vegas area. The Capitals need to have a little bit of a familiar face to sell to the locals -- the illusion of stability. Kolzig provides that.

Eventually they'll move him -- but not until Ovechkin really catches on with the locals. It'll happen, but the trade deadline is probably as soon as it can happen.

If you're thinking this has little to do with hockey, you'd be right -- but that's business.

Old
10-30-2005, 09:14 AM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Trading Kolzig this early in the season is franchise suicide. After the fire sale they're already trying to keep it afloat with the hockey equivalent of the scab Duke boys or the second (and lesser) Darren Stevens. Kolzig is the only 'face' of the franchise -- if he's gone there's no continuity left for the casual DC area fan.

The DC area is a very weird area to live in. It's a city of tranisents with tons of money and locals with relatively little. Probably the most similar market is the Vegas area. The Capitals need to have a little bit of a familiar face to sell to the locals -- the illusion of stability. Kolzig provides that.

Eventually they'll move him -- but not until Ovechkin really catches on with the locals. It'll happen, but the trade deadline is probably as soon as it can happen.

If you're thinking this has little to do with hockey, you'd be right -- but that's business.
That's understandable, they do have to sell tickets for the year. I have been impressed with Ovechkin so far so hopefully the same has taken place in DC. I have a buddy that lives in DC and is also a huge hockey fan. He told me that the Caps are definitely down the list of teams there and its mostly a Redskins town but he also mentioned that people are in and out of town.

I figure Kolzig would remain in Washington until about the deadline but then the organization would try to maximize their return on him. I was just trying to get a general idea of what it might take to make the deal.

Old
10-30-2005, 11:10 AM
AlMo

It was mentioned on the Hot Stove yesterday that McPhee has no interest in moving Kolzig unles Ollie asks to be dealt and that hasn't happened.

Old
10-30-2005, 02:13 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo
It was mentioned on the Hot Stove yesterday that McPhee has no interest in moving Kolzig unles Ollie asks to be dealt and that hasn't happened.
Well that pretty well shoots down my idea for the time being.

Old
10-30-2005, 02:34 PM
txpd

Yea, it looks like Kolzig is staying. Who knows what the actual rebuild plan is for the Caps. Kolzig may be privy to it, who knows. What is apparant at this point is that Maxime Ouellet, the goalie of the future, has somehow completely collapsed.

He was terrible in preseason when he was inked in as the backup goalie. He cleared waivers and was sent to Hershey where he has played one game...5 goals on 19 shots and got yanked...and has only dressed for two games to my knowledge. Something came way off the rails there.

IMO Johnson is not the fill Kolzig's spot when Olie is traded plan as much as he is just the emergency plan for a backup goalie.

As it has turned out, the Caps have three young defensemen, Eminger-Morrisonn-Green, all playing well at different levels. Eminger looking like an actual top pair guy most of the time. With a change in forechecking systems the young guys are keeping up and Kolzig gives them a chance to win. the last handful of games they could actually won more than they lost with a little play from veteran forwards.

Kolzig moves if he decides not to sign the new contract that will be offered. Its up to Kolzig. I doubt that he leaves. His Ovechkin comments...his comments about Eminger and Green make it seem like he is in for the long haul.

Old
10-30-2005, 02:40 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Yea, it looks like Kolzig is staying. Who knows what the actual rebuild plan is for the Caps. Kolzig may be privy to it, who knows. What is apparant at this point is that Maxime Ouellet, the goalie of the future, has somehow completely collapsed.

He was terrible in preseason when he was inked in as the backup goalie. He cleared waivers and was sent to Hershey where he has played one game...5 goals on 19 shots and got yanked...and has only dressed for two games to my knowledge. Something came way off the rails there.

IMO Johnson is not the fill Kolzig's spot when Olie is traded plan as much as he is just the emergency plan for a backup goalie.

As it has turned out, the Caps have three young defensemen, Eminger-Morrisonn-Green, all playing well at different levels. Eminger looking like an actual top pair guy most of the time. With a change in forechecking systems the young guys are keeping up and Kolzig gives them a chance to win. the last handful of games they could actually won more than they lost with a little play from veteran forwards.

Kolzig moves if he decides not to sign the new contract that will be offered. Its up to Kolzig. I doubt that he leaves. His Ovechkin comments...his comments about Eminger and Green make it seem like he is in for the long haul.
Good for Ollie, you don't see a veteran willing to hang in for a rebuilding process like that too often. I have been impressed with the young Caps especially Ovechkin and Eminger. Maybe the Caps draft a goalie in the next year or two because Kolzig can't go on forever and Johnson or Ouellet are not the long term answer.

Old
10-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Ovechkin

Like I stated on the Caps board, there is no reason not to trade Kolzig at the deadline unless the best deal is terrible. Get good prospects and or picks since this team is rebuilding. Down the road when they play hockey that counts Kolzig won't be there and that which they can get via a trade needs to be there making contributions. If he is wanted back, trade him with the understanding that he'll be brought back via free agency, and that he'll be doing a major service to the club, and to himself with a better team surrounding him.

Old
10-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis_24
Would guess Frolov is the one untouchable.
Add Gleason and Dustin Brown to that untouchable list. Dave Taylor has stated that those 3 are the untouchables on the Kings.
As a Kings fan, I'll stick with the Garon/LaBarbera duo. Let's face it, the Kings aren't going to win the Cup this year, as much as I would like them too they're not going to. Their youth like Frolov, Brown, Gleason, Cammelleri, Belanger, Corvo, Avery, Weaver, Visnovsky, yes I know Belanger, Lubo, and Weaver aren't really that young, are all playing on the same team now. I prefer having a young goalie that is gonna be playing and to be growing with these guys for the next few years to be the back stop of a championship team, then some 1 year rental.

Old
10-30-2005, 06:15 PM
All_the_Kings_Men

Forget Kolzig!!!!

We want Witt...what would that take

Old
10-30-2005, 07:27 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_the_Kings_Men
Forget Kolzig!!!!

We want Witt...what would that take
a millon and a half in cap room and a good prospect

Old
10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

What the Capitals have said is that if Kolzig wants to stay, they will offer him a contract extension. What Kolzig has intimated is that he'd stay if he is impressed with what the team is building.

Right now the Capitals are 4-7-0. That is surprisingly good, and that is a testament to how low expectations are for this team this season. They are not a good team, but this is a team for whom 25th in the league standings at the moment is reason for pleasant surprise, so poor are their chances.

If the Capitals start to play down to the level of their abilities, if they sink in the standings and sit at 29th or 30th for long stretches, if they start going through five and six-game losing streaks... well, let's re-evaluate Kolzig's loyalty then. It's going to get a lot worse than it is right now for the Capitals, even were Ovechkin to top 100 points.

The Caps will offer an optimistic Kolzig a contract extension. They will move him if Kolzig starts looking ahead to a fresh start and a Cup contender. At some point, probably a week or two before the deadline, the Caps are going to ask Kolzig what are his future plans. Until then, it's up to the team to impress Kolzig enough for him to want to stay. They'll probably have to overachieve for that to happen, else he'll be on the market.

Old
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
MAF
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain
When I first read the title I thought: "Hä? Why do you wanna be a King if you are already GODZILLA ???"

Old
10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
I believe Kolzig has said he would retire if traded from the Caps. His son is sick and there is a specialized clinic in Washington. If he were to be traded, he would not have access to that clinic and thus his reason for saying he'll retire.
Kolzig's family isn't with him in Washington. He's sharing an appartment with Witt.

He's been main thing keeping the caps going from really bad to absolutely terrible. For what its worth Kolzig has been treated pretty well by the Caps and I think there is some truth about him having some say in getting traded. I think it would depend on the team as well as how sweet the offer is for Kolzig because I think the main inclination by the caps is to keep him beyone this year. No young goaltender that the caps have is ready to step in.

Last edited by usiel: 10-31-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Closed Thread