HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hatcher!

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
hexxy2727

vCash: 500
Hatcher!

There has been all this talk about our goaltending so far this year, but how about Hatcher's terrible play. The guy looks like a slug out there. I realize he missed all of training camp, but you would think he would be starting to round into form by now. There was one play against Caroline where the forward was heading towards Hatcher, Derian turned around and skated forwards to the blue line to gain some speed, but the forward still blew by him like he was standing still. His game has to pick up huge time, but I am afraid this new NHL is going to hurt his play big time. Hopefully I am wrong!

Old
10-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Rico__Persson*

I question how Clarke never thought about the new style of play. Instead, he compiled a slow, immobile defensive core.

Old
10-30-2005, 05:07 PM
lynchmob450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I question how Clarke never thought about the new style of play. Instead, he compiled a slow, immobile defensive core.
I don't really queation the acquisitions of the big d-men...rather, i question the acquisition of a big d-man who has never been fleet of foot. I remember when they signed the 3 headed 6'5" d-men, i had no problem with Rathje...i NEVER thought Therrien would be anything more than an issurance policy...BUT, Hatcher!!! I didn't get that one (i would have preferred Aucoin).

Anyways, this is what we have. I hope Hatcher turns things up and starts playing with more confidence.

Old
10-30-2005, 05:15 PM
guinness
those were the days

Clarke must've figured that Wings-Calgary (and/or Wings-Nashville) series was just a fluke. Or would work wonders under Hitchcock again. It's not just the new NHL that's affecting Derian, he's just incredibly slow, now that teams can skate again, he just gets exposed more often.

Hatcher would probably be better suited for a team like Minnesota.

Old
10-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob450
..BUT, Hatcher!!! I didn't get that one (i would have preferred Aucoin).

Anyways, this is what we have. I hope Hatcher turns things up and starts playing with more confidence.

Good point, I do feel that Jeff Carter will be a game breaker in a few years. With young players, you must be patient. Be prepared to look the other way at times, but with Richards and Carter...it should be bright/

Old
10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Hatcher is one player. One player is not a core. Kim Johnsson and Joni Pitkanen are very good skaters for defensemen. Desjardins isn't the player he was, but his skating is not a liability. Nor is Mike Rathje's skating. Chris Therien was supposed to be the #7 d-man/platooning with Seidenberg, but Hitch sees differently. To say that Derian Hatcher makes the Flyers a slow defense just isn't honest.

Old
10-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Hatcher is one player. One player is not a core. Kim Johnsson and Joni Pitkanen are very good skaters for defensemen. Desjardins isn't the player he was, but his skating is not a liability. Nor is Mike Rathje's skating. Chris Therien was supposed to be the #7 d-man/platooning with Seidenberg, but Hitch sees differently. To say that Derian Hatcher makes the Flyers a slow defense just isn't honest.
Agreed. Hatcher is definitely slow. The rest aren't. One slow defenseman doesn't drag the rest down.

Old
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Rico__Persson*

I'd say Therien, and Hacher are painfully slow. Rathje is average. Those three are still going to play a lot of minutes and will most often get forced to hook and hold if a quick winger sneaks by.

I like the other three D-man for sure, but mainly Hatcher and Therien throw the average down.

Old
10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
To me, I like to keep Hatcher around for stuff like this:

And that one was right after Alex's P dirty elbow. We got have someone who can stick up for his teammates.

Old
10-30-2005, 09:10 PM
barfy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25

HOLY MOLY!

Old
10-30-2005, 10:02 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I wonder if Clarke was actually looking ahead to the playoffs in thinking that the play could really tighten up by then. I mean, the NHL has been pumping obstruction for years and it always reverted back to the clutching/grabbing style. I wonder if the refs will call it in the playoffs like they are calling it now and if they do slow down in the playoffs, that would favor our defensemen with size(ala Hatcher).

either way, I think we will be fine.

Old
10-30-2005, 10:07 PM
dabears4

Hatcher is a tree.

Old
10-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Devonator

I said it when we acquired Hatcher that this was probably are only bad signing and that sadly is proving too be true.........and letting go of Markov!!

I like Rathje because you have to have a defenceman that is a good stay at home type.......and of course Pitk and Johnsson are superb........but I really can't stand Hatcher and he is doing nothing to change my mind at this point..

Simply put.....for the money they paid, a brutal brutal signing...

Old
10-31-2005, 01:37 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Take Hatcher, switch his salary with Pitkanen's salary and everyone will be happy.

Pitkanen four 5 years at 3 million would be wonderful at this point.

Old
10-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Take Hatcher, switch his salary with Pitkanen's salary and everyone will be happy.

Pitkanen four 5 years at 3 million would be wonderful at this point.
Pitkanen will get his when it's his time....and it will probably dwarf what Hatch is getting.

Old
10-31-2005, 01:32 PM
PF1967

He and Rathje are quickly becoming my least favorite Flyers...

Old
10-31-2005, 11:49 PM
panayiotis

clarkie and hitch

This is all on these guys. 4-16 million. He better produce.

Old
11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
clumsysnake

Initially I thought Rathje was a great signing and Hatcher was a gamble. So far tho, I'd say Hatcher has played better for us. Both guys seem slow, but atleast Hatcher brings the x-factor of intimidation. I didn't realize how intense he is as a hockey player. I undervalued his intangibles. He's also been great on the PK imo, very aware, good in the corners, very calm getting the puck out. I can deal with one big slow defenseman if he brings all the other factors and keeps the opposing forwards off guard. He just needs to realize his weakness and compensate for it by backing off the line earlier, even if it means he'll keep the puck in less.

Point taken about the cash tho...It's not so much the yearly amount but the # of years! Hopefully the cap skyrockets due to extreme fan interest and they stop eating up 9% of cap each...

Last edited by clumsysnake: 11-01-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old
11-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Juicer

If you take Hatcher off this blueline, who is our hardest hitter back there? Who is the meanest Dman if he is not there? For years people have complained our defense was too soft, now we get one of the toughest Dmen in the league and people still complain. He is exactly what this defense needs.

Old
11-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Gert B Frobe

overall he's still a good defenseman - worth the money? probably not but the guy is hell to play against. He's not going to get slower as he gets into better shape. Refs aren't going to start calling the game any tighter either.

Old
11-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Agreed. Hatcher is definitely slow. The rest aren't. One slow defenseman doesn't drag the rest down.
You are only as fast as the slowest part of the team...I think that is how the saying goes...

Old
11-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rails
You are only as fast as the slowest part of the team...I think that is how the saying goes...
I think you're refering to the saying "a chains only as strong as it's weakest link." which isn't necessarily Hatch.

Old
11-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
I'm sure he'll round out as we go along. We have someone to retaliate should one of our guys get decked. Sometime a penalty is worth it for the payback, hopefully though when we're up by a few goals...and not in the third period.

Old
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I'd say Therien, and Hacher are painfully slow. Rathje is average. Those three are still going to play a lot of minutes and will most often get forced to hook and hold if a quick winger sneaks by.

I like the other three D-man for sure, but mainly Hatcher and Therien throw the average down.
Hatcher yes, Therien no. He is not as quick as he used to be, but he is not slow. He was one of the fatest skaters on the team a few years back.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Hatcher yes, Therien no. He is not as quick as he used to be, but he is not slow. He was one of the fatest skaters on the team a few years back.
He was actually the fastest player on the team at the skills competition once. Maybe 6 years ago or something....

Closed Thread