HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your best attribute(?) - Ice Hockey

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2005, 07:09 PM
  #1
teamstag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spruce Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Your best attribute(?) - Ice Hockey

There's probably a thread like this somewhere but oh well, I wasn't here when it started .

So, what are you best at on the ice? Passing? Shooting? Skating? Any specific type of shot? Hitting?

For me, I'd have to say my best is passing. Whether it be skill, luck, or just untapped talent, the majority of my passes seem to go tape to tape. It even boggles my mind. Next, I'd say Wrist Shots. They aren't the hardest shots but they seem to be pretty accurate to me. One thing I tried last year when I was doing wrist shots was as I was winding up I lifted my leg and kinda used it as an extra push. I know lots of people do it but I thought it was just for show. It actually does add some power to your shot.

I taught myself how to skate so even just being at the same level as a few of the better guys is amazing to me. Although I still don't know how to do slap shots properly

teamstag is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 07:59 PM
  #2
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
I've only been playing for a year and a half but my best attributes are my positioning and my smarts. I'm not a naturally gifted athlete so I've been forced to compensate by playing smart and knowing my limitations.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 08:02 PM
  #3
Jared Cowen
Registered User
 
Jared Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sens Nation
Country: United States
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Goaltending-more specifically five hole.

Jared Cowen is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 08:10 PM
  #4
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
It used to be hip checks and open ice hits but since that doesn't fly real well in rec leagues now I guess it's my ice vision and the fact that I would rather make a nice pass to someone who scores than score myself. That probably comes from playing Defense for 30 years.

Steelhead16 is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 08:34 PM
  #5
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14
 
Freddie Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Since I'm big for my age (6'0 160 lbs. at 13) people actually find this hard to believe but I practically never hit. The best part of my game(easily) is my playmaking and skating. I a;so have a pretty accurate shot. My hitting blows though, but my balance is pretty good when I get hit. Basically, I am like a 5 foot tall player in a a 6 foot tall hockey players body. Size sure has it's advantages if you can skate with everyone else or faster.

Freddie Mercury is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 08:40 PM
  #6
Yertle The Turtle
Registered User
 
Yertle The Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Millville, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
I am 6'1 185 pounds and my best hockey attribute is hitting. Im the guy on my team that goes out in the beggining of the game and lays kids out to set the tone. Its a fun job to have really. I play Midget Minor so most of the kids are smaller then 6'0. My 2nd best attribute has to be my speed. I can skate for a big guy and get my self back into the play after I make a big hit.

Yertle The Turtle is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 09:02 PM
  #7
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,645
vCash: 500
My slapshot and deking. Im not extremely fast but I can get around a lot of players not going top speed.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 09:11 PM
  #8
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,854
vCash: 500
As a goalie, puck handling. I worked hard at it through my teens and it really paid off - I'm head and shoulders above 'most' guys in my league at handling the puck and playing it up ice. Haven't scored yet, but I've had plenty of shots on goal during penalty kills.

Le Golie is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
  #9
Poochie_D
Registered User
 
Poochie_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
id say im a top notch passer. plus im able to do it at top speed which helps.

Poochie_D is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 10:46 PM
  #10
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
Assets- Size (6'-3" 210), Sense, Hands

Weaknesses- I would say that my skating is good but my stops and starts have gotten pretty bad. Playing roller may have created some flaws. My main problem though is cardio.

#66 is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 12:18 AM
  #11
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception
 
Bodmanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 50
Speed and awareness.

Bodmanza is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 12:35 AM
  #12
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Backhand flip pass...I love to get the defenseman to force me to my backhand only to saucer it over to a teammate. Just sort of developed the skill.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 01:54 AM
  #13
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamstag
There's probably a thread like this somewhere but oh well, I wasn't here when it started .

So, what are you best at on the ice? Passing? Shooting? Skating? Any specific type of shot? Hitting?

For me, I'd have to say my best is passing. Whether it be skill, luck, or just untapped talent, the majority of my passes seem to go tape to tape. It even boggles my mind. Next, I'd say Wrist Shots. They aren't the hardest shots but they seem to be pretty accurate to me. One thing I tried last year when I was doing wrist shots was as I was winding up I lifted my leg and kinda used it as an extra push. I know lots of people do it but I thought it was just for show. It actually does add some power to your shot.

I taught myself how to skate so even just being at the same level as a few of the better guys is amazing to me. Although I still don't know how to do slap shots properly

Usually, I hate to talk about this kind of stuff because it comes off like I am trying to toot my own horn. This is what my game is all about:

My coach in bantams gave me the "best hands" award. Basically, I am a finesse player and I excel in setting up teammates. I absolutely love to put a pass between the legs of a defender, right on the tape of a teammate and watch him bury it.

My wrist shot is deadly accurate from in the slot, I score a ton of goals from there. Outside of the slot, I am a little weak so, that is where my playmaking ability is valuable.

I also have an arsenal of moves that I use to beat a defender one on one. I don't have very good speed but, I can stickhandle and embarrass a defenseman when I need to.

I hate to sound like I am bragging but, this is my game and, after 25 years of playing this way, I believe I have become quite good at it. Skating is my weakness so, I would have loved to test my skills in a league like the WHL if I could have skated well enough to play there. I am convinced that is all that held me back. If I could skate like Mark Recchi, I could have made a living playing this game.

I was never a physical player and I was what a coach would probably call "soft". That part of the game can be learned though.

Again, sorry for sounding like I am a braggart, this is just as accurate as I can tell it.

Ogopogo* is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:21 AM
  #14
ToothlessAggression
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 458
vCash: 500
Playmaking is my stength, my passes are not the most accurate sometimes, but I have a knack for finding an open guy even if I am in heavy traffic. My wrist shot used to be up there, but after hardly playing the last year for some reason I lost it. Really frustrating.

I am pretty weak outside of the offensive zone, but that is mostly because I am in terrible shape.

ToothlessAggression is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:46 AM
  #15
teamstag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spruce Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Usually, I hate to talk about this kind of stuff because it comes off like I am trying to toot my own horn. This is what my game is all about:

My coach in bantams gave me the "best hands" award. Basically, I am a finesse player and I excel in setting up teammates. I absolutely love to put a pass between the legs of a defender, right on the tape of a teammate and watch him bury it.

My wrist shot is deadly accurate from in the slot, I score a ton of goals from there. Outside of the slot, I am a little weak so, that is where my playmaking ability is valuable.

I also have an arsenal of moves that I use to beat a defender one on one. I don't have very good speed but, I can stickhandle and embarrass a defenseman when I need to.

I hate to sound like I am bragging but, this is my game and, after 25 years of playing this way, I believe I have become quite good at it. Skating is my weakness so, I would have loved to test my skills in a league like the WHL if I could have skated well enough to play there. I am convinced that is all that held me back. If I could skate like Mark Recchi, I could have made a living playing this game.

I was never a physical player and I was what a coach would probably call "soft". That part of the game can be learned though.

Again, sorry for sounding like I am a braggart, this is just as accurate as I can tell it.
Yea, I know what you mean. I didn't want to sound anything like that so I kept mine short.

teamstag is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 06:04 AM
  #16
chum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
they all suck

but my vision sucks the least (on ice, that is. my eyes, ironically, are terrible)

next suckiest is my skating, but i have been insecure about it recently, so after i've been ice skating for 12 years i bought laura stamm's power skating book last week.

my worst attributes are my slap shooting power and upper body strength. oh, my hands are terrible too.

chum is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 08:31 AM
  #17
Jysk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Skellefteć Sweden
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Skating , hitting , werry aggresive and strenght, think of a young Luke Richardsson with great skating skills and you have me.

Jysk is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 08:40 AM
  #18
BlackBirRd5
Registered User
 
BlackBirRd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Skating and passing for me, stickhandling is decent and shot is mediocre. If I'm playing with capable forwards, I can qb a pp quite well up high, but that rarely happens as forwards in rec leagues(at least for me) usually are very positionally inadequate to control the offensive zone. A shame, I used to love controlling the puck and moving it around on the PP when I played Junior B

BlackBirRd5 is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 10:31 AM
  #19
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
My golden flowing locks.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 12:16 PM
  #20
Z-Diddy
Registered User
 
Z-Diddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Uh... Brooklyn!
Country: Canada
Posts: 771
vCash: 500
I would have to say my ability to jam the blade of my stick through any skate holder, pull the man down, drop the stick and make the whole scenario look like one big freak accident. Good times...

Z-Diddy is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
  #21
grapeshine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
I can dump the puck in like nobody's business. My next best skill is buying the beer for after the game.

grapeshine is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:00 PM
  #22
Maynard
Registered User
 
Maynard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamstag
So, what are you best at on the ice? Passing? Shooting? Skating? Any specific type of shot? Hitting?
E) None of the above

Maynard is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:43 PM
  #23
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
puck poise

i'm old-skoula.

Magnus Fulgur is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
  #24
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeshine
I can dump the puck in like nobody's business. My next best skill is buying the beer for after the game.
You can play on my team anytime.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
  #25
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
My best assests...well...As a centerman, I'd say, and quite confidently too, that I'm probably the best at face-offs in the rec leagues in Prince George. Was always above 55% in Jr. B and above 60% in Midget AAA. I'm the guy my team sends out if we are desperate for puck control on the PP or PK....or it's late in the game....

Other than that, I'd definitely say my knack for the net. Last year I finished 3rd in the league in goal scoring with 43G in 37GP.....same thing in Midget....not so much in Jr B though....more of a set up man there....but I always seem to be able to put the puck in the net.

Skating is definitely a weak point though, according to 3 Jr A coaches that's the big reason I was let go/released/cut...whatever you want.

Canadian Chris is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.