HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New ref

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Phaneuf*

vCash: 500
New ref

I'll be starting reffing soon (passed the test) but am still not sure where to be on the ice. I dont want to go out there and make a fool of myself. So does anyone have any diagrams of were to be on the ice for both linesmen or refs?

Old
10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
I'll be starting reffing soon (passed the test) but am still not sure where to be on the ice. I dont want to go out there and make a fool of myself. So does anyone have any diagrams of were to be on the ice for both linesmen or refs?

Didn't you get a booklet of that type of info at your referee seminar?

Last edited by FLYLine24: 10-25-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old
10-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
You WILL make bad calls. My best suggestion: Get yourself some self-defense classes. They'll be useful not DURING the game, but AFTER the game. Good luck...

Old
10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Make friends with a big kid.

I didn't have that problem as im about 300 pounds. People will argue with your calls, people will confront you outside the rink just remember what you say is the law and don't let anyone push you around. I haven't reffed in a while but i hear this site is good http://www.hockeyrefs.com/ there were a couple of other sites and msg boards i used, but they seem to have disappeared.

Old
10-26-2005, 06:29 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Go to a beginner clinic or you WILL make a fool out of yourself.

Old
10-29-2005, 08:54 AM
scotiahockey
Insider

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Before every game call in the teams captains. Or go to each bench to talk to the coaches. Introduce yourself by your first name... go over any points of reference there may be.. IE mouthgaurds in, no hitting from behind, no jewelery etc.. whatever issues you want to discuss. Aski if they have any questions for you regarding any rules. Be brief and to the point, and the last thing you tell them is this: "I'm old, slow, and I have bad vision. I'm going to make bad calls, and miss some calls altogether. I'll try to my best to be fair and consistent, but I am only human, and humans make mistakes no matter how hard they try sometimes. I won't scream or swear at your players when they miss a check or an easy goal, so please respect me in the same manner. Let's have fun, get some excersize and try to learn something today.... Good luck."

At that point skate away without allowing them any responce. I heard this exact speech given by a retiring official i worked with a few years ago. He left ME speechless after that one, but it covers everything.

Parents however are another thing... Parents are why i quit coaching and started reffing... They are just mean and spiteful sometimes...

Old
10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
scotiahockey
Insider

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
The other thing i would say is to go to a few games before your first one just to watch where the refs position themselves...

Old
11-03-2005, 10:43 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey
Before every game call in the teams captains. Or go to each bench to talk to the coaches. Introduce yourself by your first name... go over any points of reference there may be.. IE mouthgaurds in, no hitting from behind, no jewelery etc.. whatever issues you want to discuss. Aski if they have any questions for you regarding any rules. Be brief and to the point

I have to disagree. Pre-game should go like this....

Warmup
(In minor hockey, you should always be on the ice for warmup. This isn't like junior where you get a flood between warmup and the start of the game.)

Referee: Make sure the game sheet is filled out properly and make sure lineups are accurate.

Linesmen: Each take a team to watch during warmup, this is when you find things like loose chin straps, improper or no neck guards, and any other illegal equipment you can notice. (I don't know about you, but mouthguards are not required here in BC.)

Last minute of warmup: Ref and linesmen shake hands with the coaches (always visiting team first), with a simple introduction, (Hi, my name is _____.). Nothing more, nothing less. Never discuss how you're going to call the game, because frankly you don't know that yourself. A referee's job is to react to what happens on the ice, and keep the game safe and fair using your better judgment.

Also, never answer rules questions before the game. A lot of coaches do this to set you up. Believe me, it's happened to me... "I THOUGHT THAT WAS [insert rule here]!!!!!", after a non-call, and it was all my fault for discussing rules with him before the game.

Again, as a referee, your job is to react to what happens during the game and apply the rulebook as you see fit, to keep the game safe and fair. If a coach wants to talk rules before the game, politely tell him that if he has any questions about what happens during the game, to send his captain with the question.

Closed Thread