HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe's comment last night

View Poll Results: Should Lowe have taken that jab at Comrie last night?
Yes, I'm glad Lowe said it 27 87.10%
No, it wasn't the right time for that stuff 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 05:28 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Lowe's comment last night

During Lowe's speech last night, he made a remark that was a pretty obviously a jab at Comrie. What did you think? Was it appropriate, or should a special occasion like that have been above politics?

Old
10-10-2003, 05:29 AM
H-Bear

What was said?

Old
10-10-2003, 05:31 AM
jadeddog

actually, i dont think it was meant as a jab..... lowe would have made that exact speech if there wasnt a "comrie situation".... so why should he change what we wants to say because of the little boy? i dont think there was a hidden meaning there at all to be honest, it just so happened that fuhr was a local boy who made good with his home team, its a good story and i felt that if lowe would have left it out it would have been missed in the ceremony..... plus im pretty sure comrie wasnt watching the game anyhow

Old
10-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Hairball

I was listening for something like that actually and I didn't notice anything out of sorts. It was all really classy and Fuhr was bawling the whole time. It was nice.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:43 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
actually, i dont think it was meant as a jab..... lowe would have made that exact speech if there wasnt a "comrie situation".... so why should he change what we wants to say because of the little boy? i dont think there was a hidden meaning there at all to be honest, it just so happened that fuhr was a local boy who made good with his home team, its a good story and i felt that if lowe would have left it out it would have been missed in the ceremony..... plus im pretty sure comrie wasnt watching the game anyhow
I agree about the speech being the same without the Comrie situation too.

If Comrie wants to feel all "poopie pants" about this too........let him. It's just the truth and if it hurts......oh well.

"That mean GM was critical about my play-off. I'm taking my net and going home now."

Like he was the only Oiler Lowe was refering to last spring. It wasn't like he singled Comrie out and blasted him with both barrels or something.

The kids a little suck if you ask me. Let him go play "Mr. Star" in Florida for all I care.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:53 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I agree about the speech being the same without the Comrie situation too.

If Comrie wants to feel all "poopie pants" about this too........let him. It's just the truth and if it hurts......oh well.

"That mean GM was critical about my play-off. I'm taking my net and going home now."

Like he was the only Oiler Lowe was refering to last spring. It wasn't like he singled Comrie out and blasted him with both barrels or something.

The kids a little suck if you ask me. Let him go play "Mr. Star" in Florida for all I care.
Do you not think that it could have been more than Lowe?

Gee... you know, maybe the press and all the fans on the call in shows and that, or people on the streets.

It could be all of those things, not just the comments made by Lowe.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:57 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't think it's as much the team, but the fans and media as well. I mean he is under a microscope everynight he plays, and if he can't handel that, then we want him gone - because people are going to watch and talk about whats going on.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I don't think it's as much the team, but the fans and media as well. I mean he is under a microscope everynight he plays, and if he can't handel that, then we want him gone - because people are going to watch and talk about whats going on.
But, as Barnes astutely pointed out in his article, Comrie seemed to be able to handle the microscope fine when he was making over 4M/yr with his bonuses added...

Old
10-10-2003, 06:08 AM
gretzky2kurri

He never complained about the pressure of the microscope when he was cashing those big cheques though.

Fear of the cheques not being big enough, tell Mike it might not be his cup of tea now.

So it IS about money if you ask me.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:13 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
He never complained about the pressure of the microscope when he was cashing those big cheques though.

Fear of the cheques not being big enough, tell Mike it might not be his cup of tea now.

So it IS about money if you ask me.
What exactly is he complaining about now?

He isn't even saying anything, so I don't understand how everyone is jumping to conclusions.

I mean, firstly everyone was saying how Comrie wanted $4mil a season and all this... well that obviously isn't the case.

And maybe he didn't complain about the pressure before he got brow beat on all the radio shows, message boards, articles, etc...

I mean the guy is only 23 years old, and he is expected to carry this team...

Old
10-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
During Lowe's speech last night, he made a remark that was a pretty obviously a jab at Comrie. What did you think? Was it appropriate, or should a special occasion like that have been above politics?
We will never know for sure if Kevin Lowe meant the double entendre with the emphasis on the "home town boy makes good" part of the speech. As I was listening to him on CHED, I was thinking that it could have been...but that is just speculation.

Can't have an opinion because I am not a psychic.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:47 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
What exactly is he complaining about now?

He isn't even saying anything, so I don't understand how everyone is jumping to conclusions.

I mean, firstly everyone was saying how Comrie wanted $4mil a season and all this... well that obviously isn't the case.

And maybe he didn't complain about the pressure before he got brow beat on all the radio shows, message boards, articles, etc...

I mean the guy is only 23 years old, and he is expected to carry this team...
What's Dawgbones theory?

Carried this team pretty good as the #1 center, but when was faced with adversity and bad words in the press and phone ins....didn't want any more to do with the Oilers?

I agree he's only 23. 22 when he was collecting that 4 mill +. That's alot for a 22 year old.

Your right Dawgbone, he isn't saying anything so nobody really knows. It becomes a process of elimination for alot of fans.

You say that he isn't asking for 4 million. I beleive you although I have never heard a price floated around by any partyies thus far. Do you think he would be skating with the Bears if the Oilers would have given him that contract extension he asked for......right before the "alleged" trade me talk last spring? I don't think so.

Do I think Comrie would be playing in Vancouver Saturday night if Lowe gave him a one year 4 million contract this afternoon? Not likely, because Oiler fans would be upset at the big money deal and boo him anyway.

But I feel if Lowe would have bent over (again) for Comrie last spring, we would have seen some toe-drag last night.

It unfixable now.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:05 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Actually, I am sure that the comment was made to respect Grant Fuhr. Grant has always been thrilled that he was able to play and achieve all his successes here. And he said back in '84, that winning the Stanley Cup was even more special, because he played for his hometown team. In his heart, Edmonton really is the best place in the world to play hockey. (and he took a lot of heat for some of his "shortcomings" in his day)

I would bet that while KLo was writing his little speech, he wondered if his "playing and carrying the Stanley Cup in your hometown" comments might be taken as a stab at MC. I would also bet that he then immediately thought, "who cares - this was important to Grant and this is for Grant".

Old
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
I immediately thought "wonder if MC is listening", but I didn't take it as a jab aimed at him. As others have said, I think Lowe would have said it with or without MC. On the other hand, if Comrie takes it personally, I'm sure Lowe doesn't care (and neither do I - I want MC back if he wants to come back, but I'm no fanboy either).

Old
10-10-2003, 02:11 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Do you not think that it could have been more than Lowe?

Gee... you know, maybe the press and all the fans on the call in shows and that, or people on the streets.

It could be all of those things, not just the comments made by Lowe.

boo *****ing hoo!! the day i feel sorry for a person making 4.5 million US a year is the day...... well..... it aint ever gonna happen no matter what, so there is no day

Old
10-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:

I am not sure how you could take it that way. KL was talking about hockey in another time, another place. You cannot compare the Comrie situation to Grant Fuhrs carrier because in Grants day player just did not act this way. That is why the Oilers won the cup, because everyone was committed to their game and not their agent. In those days players were warriors, they gave everything for their team. If something was said last night in innuendo to Comrie, I am sure it only reveled itself because when the Oilers were a great team, players did not have Comries attitude. Or they would not have been on the team simple as that.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Oi'll say!

I don't think that it's got anything to do with Comrie's situation at all.

KLo would be lower than crap on a snake's belly if he used Grant Fuhr's retirement ceremony as a chance to take a potshot at Mike Comrie.

That's just plain disgusting.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I would bet that while KLo was writing his little speech, he wondered if his "playing and carrying the Stanley Cup in your hometown" comments might be taken as a stab at MC. I would also bet that he then immediately thought, "who cares - this was important to Grant and this is for Grant".
I doubt he wondered, he had to know. But I'm guessing we agree that it was all true about Grant Fuhr, and that's all that mattered for that speech.

Closed Thread