HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Almost 2/3 of League has scouts at Pens' games . . . something brewing?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Almost 2/3 of League has scouts at Pens' games . . . something brewing?

Still watching

During the three-game homestand, scouts from 18 teams watched the Penguins.

The New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers joined the parade Saturday, but they were both doing routine advance scouting for next week's games. The Penguins start a five-game trip Tuesday in New Jersey and don't have a home game until Nov. 10.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478568&rfi=6

Old
10-31-2005, 12:52 PM
boredmale

the only guy i can see them trading who teams might be interested in would be Malone.

Old
10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Still watching

During the three-game homestand, scouts from 18 teams watched the Penguins.

The New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers joined the parade Saturday, but they were both doing routine advance scouting for next week's games. The Penguins start a five-game trip Tuesday in New Jersey and don't have a home game until Nov. 10.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478568&rfi=6
I know that Pitsburgh is looking for help, defenceman in particular, but do they actully have good players with value to offer in return.

Old
10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

I don't know....

I honestly see the Pens as a lousy trade partner.

We're lacking depth at every position except offensive defenseman, and the one asset there is injured. Tarnstrom.

Our prospects, outside the MAF, Sid, Malkin, Whitney...and maybe Welch.... are average and every organization has a few of those.

I expect teams would be very intersted in Malone or maybe Orpik.... But trading them kills us at their positions.

Old
10-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I honestly don't get it.

What, exactly, are they scouting?

Our best trade assets are in Wilkes-Barre, not Pittsburgh.

Unless these guys are scouting guys like Malone(who, unfortunately, would be hard pressed to get out of the organization for the fickle Pittsburgh fans would revolt on trading the hometown boy) or Orpik(who has the lowest value he's ever had, and will ever have).

Tarnstrom was definitely a target, but he's out now.

I could understand if it was the Penguins sending scouts to other teams, but other teams sending scouts to the Penguins kinda confuses me. Who the hell are they scouting? The only worthy assets we have at the NHL level are basically untradeable.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
salty justice

Maybe now that they have collected all their new season ticket money Pittsburgh can trade Palffy and Gonchar to put their salaries towards a new arena

Old
10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
blitzkriegs

Could a BUF/PIT swap be in order with Biron and T-Bo? If anything, BUF reduces some payrolll, but gets an adequate #1A (backup) if Miller struggles later on and wants some veteran presence. On the other hand, PIT gambles, takes on more salary, with a different goaltender (albeit another one with consistentcy issues).

I don't know the contract situations (years) of either player. Anyone feel free to chirp in and add some financial perspective.

Old
10-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Could a BUF/PIT swap be in order with Biron and T-Bo? If anything, BUF reduces some payrolll, but gets an adequate #1A (backup) if Miller struggles later on and wants some veteran presence. On the other hand, PIT gambles, takes on more salary, with a different goaltender (albeit another one with consistentcy issues).
From a fan of both of those teams... a big NO.

T-Bo is staying put for now, as are the other recent signings.

Buffalo doesn't need to shed salary, and is certainly not taking an NHL goaltender back for Biron (or Noronen for that matter).

As for Biron's inconsistency... He's had some tough breaks in Buffalo, and still did very good 3 of his 4 season, either as a starter or replacing Hasek when he was out.
He's (or will be, however you look at it) a valid #1 NHL goalie, IMO.

Old
10-31-2005, 01:34 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
I say Brion has more value then T-Bo trade wise, makes no sense from a Buffalo perspective.

Old
10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Pens definitely aren't good trading partners for anyone really. Our best players we basically just signed in the off season, so they won't be traded. The good young players are too valuable to give up because the likes of Mario, Recchi and LeClair are going to be gone in 2 years. And like mentioned before, our only real tradable asset is Tarnstrom, who is no on the IR.

Old
10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
maybe scouts are looking at Malone or Koltsov

Old
10-31-2005, 01:49 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
Pens definitely aren't good trading partners for anyone really. Our best players we basically just signed in the off season, so they won't be traded. The good young players are too valuable to give up because the likes of Mario, Recchi and LeClair are going to be gone in 2 years. And like mentioned before, our only real tradable asset is Tarnstrom, who is no on the IR.
Would Craig Patrick have a bit of a win now attitude because of Mario Recchi and Leclair? It's one of Mario's last kicks at the can... and I'm sure he doesn't like the defense as it stands now.

I'm not saying trade Crosby or Malkin... but if Malone or someone were to net you a great defenman for a couple of years I would think that would be good.

Old
10-31-2005, 02:03 PM
AgentOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
Would Craig Patrick have a bit of a win now attitude because of Mario Recchi and Leclair? It's one of Mario's last kicks at the can... and I'm sure he doesn't like the defense as it stands now.

I'm not saying trade Crosby or Malkin... but if Malone or someone were to net you a great defenman for a couple of years I would think that would be good.
IMO, Pittsburgh signed those players to put some butts in the seats and to surround Crosby with some talent for his first couple years. Lemieux is playing for the same reasons.

The Pens need alot more then a great dman to have a legit chance at a SC.

The 3rd and 4th line need alot of work. Depth on D is needed. A goalie would help also.

Old
10-31-2005, 02:07 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick

Thing with Malone is that because he is from Pittsburgh, and the 1st Pittsburgh born NHL player, trading him would cause somewhat of a PR backlash. Him playing for the hometown team makes him worth more to the Pens for that reason, as last season they had Ryan Malone Night as a tribute to him.

It's not to say that the Pens wouldn't trade him, but more so would be reluctant to. But like amny said, he's one of our few assets that would bring something back.

Old
10-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Pens1566

Maybe someone is looking at Caron???

Old
10-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Slats432

Palffy for Peca.

Old
10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
I've heard a rumor about a trade between Sidney and Gomez...

It's probably close...

Old
10-31-2005, 02:19 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Maybe teams are scouting the Penguins 2006 draft picks?

Scout for undisclosed team: "Went to a couple of Penguins games, that 2006 1st round pick is looking better and better".

Old
10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
AEKaki

Malone, Koltsov, Roy, LeClair, Jackman, Gonchar, Caron, Thibault are players being scouted.

I really hope we dont trade Malone or Koltsov.

Old
10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Verbeek
Human see, human do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Palffy for Peca.
Much like the Domi scare in the offseason, I would cry if we got Peca. Never liked him. Not to mention the whole palffy thing.

Old
10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
Thing with Malone is that because he is from Pittsburgh, and the 1st Pittsburgh born NHL player, trading him would cause somewhat of a PR backlash. Him playing for the hometown team makes him worth more to the Pens for that reason, as last season they had Ryan Malone Night as a tribute to him.
Yup.

And another thing is the Pens' depth at wings. It's virtually non-existant, both on the big club and in the prospect pool (talking about potential top-6 wingers).

Old
10-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Malone, Koltsov, Roy, LeClair, Jackman, Gonchar, Caron, Thibault are players being scouted.

Who in their right mind would want Roy?

Old
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Jaded-Fan

Rechi, Ziggy, Gonchar . . . not sure if the Pens would go that route, but despite the slow start any team would love to have any of those. The Pens as a team has not meshed, but these assets (and the others on the Pens for that matter, LeClaire remains a huge body on the PP especially and on and on) still obviously have value in many teams eyes if they are so heavilly scouting the Pens.

Old
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Keep in mind that the olympics are coming and some teams are probably scouting for that as well. Paul Holmgren might have bought Devils season tickets for the amount of games he's attending there

Old
10-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Jimmypop316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
same here, same here.

Closed Thread