HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames/Islanders Proposal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2005, 02:45 PM
  #1
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Flames/Islanders Proposal

Very simple one.

To Flames:
Mike York

To Islanders:
Rhett Warrener

The salaries are very similar. Calgary needs a top 6 center and Islanders need a top 4, physical defenseman. I am not sure how many years are left on York's contract but Warrener has 3 after this season.

Amonte - York - Iginla
Rhino - Langkow - Kobasew

I have always like York since his days as an Oiler. Seemed to have some heart and a good work ethic. A very good talent set as well. Just by adding a legit top 6 forward, the Flames are able to move Simon from the top 6 which makes the top 6 that much better.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
  #2
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Very simple one.

To Flames:
Mike York

To Islanders:
Rhett Warrener

The salaries are very similar. Calgary needs a top 6 center and Islanders need a top 4, physical defenseman. I am not sure how many years are left on York's contract but Warrener has 3 after this season.

Amonte - York - Iginla
Rhino - Langkow - Kobasew

I have always like York since his days as an Oiler. Seemed to have some heart and a good work ethic. A very good talent set as well. Just by adding a legit top 6 forward, the Flames are able to move Simon from the top 6 which makes the top 6 that much better.
Done.

Fire up the fax.

P.S. York has a one-year deal and is two years from being a potential UFA.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:49 PM
  #3
AgentOrange*
 
AgentOrange*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
I think York is a RFA after this season. He currently makes 2.05 million.

I'd have absolutely no objections with this deal.

AgentOrange* is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:50 PM
  #4
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Done.

Fire up the fax.
Darth do you happen to know the contract status of York? Is he a RFA this year? Was his contract for only 1 year?

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
  #5
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
See above. He has a 1 year deal, but will not be an UFA until after next season (I believe).

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:52 PM
  #6
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Done.
so are centers would be Yashin-?-Bates-Nokie

We could always make the Weinhandl-Kvasha-Hunter line i guess

boredmale is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:54 PM
  #7
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
I know Nokie is just a rookie, but I love his game. I'd have no problem with him in a top six role every night.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:57 PM
  #8
AgentOrange*
 
AgentOrange*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
so are centers would be Yashin-?-Bates-Nokie

We could always make the Weinhandl-Kvasha-Hunter line i guess
A York for Warrener trade would leave us weak at Center but a deal involving Parrish or Niinimaa or both could bring in another one or a tough left winger.

Nilsson Yashin Satan
Blake Kvasha Hunter
(insert player here) Bates Weinhandl
Bergenheim Nokelainen Asham

AgentOrange* is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 02:59 PM
  #9
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,142
vCash: 500
the scary part of this trade would be with the Islanders close to the cap. Goddard would become a regular forward(he has been playing now due to injuries). Rhett salary = York's salary so that a wash. We would probably send Pettinen down to Brightport so that would free up 450,000 in salary we can call up.

boredmale is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 03:03 PM
  #10
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
I don't think it would have much in the way of cap implications. Rhett and York's salary would be a wash. We'd fill the extra room on the top nine by promoting Nilsson and Nokie, and we could just double shift a body on the 4th line. A deal like this would also mean that somebody would have to be moved off the defense.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
  #11
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,748
vCash: 500
Interesting proposal and one that looks pretty good value wise. I'm not sure if Mike York is Calgary's answer at centre though. I've watched him play a number of games now and I'm still convinced that he's a far better winger than he is a centreman. He spent much of his time in Edmonton at the centre position due to a lack of depth in the organization and he didn't seem to fluorish at the spot.

It's definitely one that could work for both teams though. Calgary can afford to move Warrener with Regehr returning soon. The question is, will Sutter move him after he signed a fresh new 4 year contract in the off-season? It's generally seen as fairly bad faith to deal a guy this soon after signing a contract but who knows...

Cerebral is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 03:09 PM
  #12
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
A deal like this would also mean that somebody would have to be moved off the defense.
Like i said i think Pettinen would be the one sent down or released, so that free up 450,000, we would gain about 150,000 in the York deal. I think our cap for this season is close to 38.5 million so we don't have much room to leverage for a forward(although my money would be on bergenheim who could just probably slip under the limit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Interesting proposal and one that looks pretty good value wise. I'm not sure if Mike York is Calgary's answer at centre though. I've watched him play a number of games now and I'm still convinced that he's a far better winger than he is a centreman. He spent much of his time in Edmonton at the centre position due to a lack of depth in the organization and he didn't seem to fluorish at the spot.

I actually think the Islanders should move York to the Wing as well to maximize his use. Problem is we are not so deap at center. I think York might make the perfect compliment to the Yashin-Satan line.

boredmale is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
  #13
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
According to Hahn (and, I don't for a minute understand his math), if all things stayed the same, and the Isles called up Bergie, they'd be quite close to the cap (they'd still have about $500,000 in room).

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 03:21 PM
  #14
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
I actually think the Islanders should move York to the Wing as well to maximize his use. Problem is we are not so deap at center. I think York might make the perfect compliment to the Yashin-Satan line.
York played very well in Edmonton when he was on the wing (I felt he was our best player besides Smyth) and then instantly seemed to struggle when he was plunked back at centre. He has the speed and shot to be a fairly effective winger but he seems to keep getting stuck in situations where he has to play centre.

Cerebral is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 04:55 PM
  #15
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
York played very well in Edmonton when he was on the wing (I felt he was our best player besides Smyth) and then instantly seemed to struggle when he was plunked back at centre. He has the speed and shot to be a fairly effective winger but he seems to keep getting stuck in situations where he has to play centre.
If that is the case it is still fine. Have York as the winger and the centerman as Langkow and Rhino. Either way the Flames add a top 6 forward with some solid playmaking skills and get SImon out of the top 6.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
  #16
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Can York play LW, if center isn't working out?

Done on my end as well.

There is some sound reasoning behind this proposal, as Rhett Warraner's wife is in Buffalo (closer to NY), and his brother-in-law was killed in Iraq a couple weeks ago.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 05:30 PM
  #17
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Can York play LW, if center isn't working out?

Done on my end as well.

There is some sound reasoning behind this proposal, as Rhett Warraner's wife is in Buffalo (closer to NY), and his brother-in-law was killed in Iraq a couple weeks ago.
Most feel that York is better at LW than at C. His most productive seasons have historically been as a LW.

Would love to see a trade like this go through from an Isles perspective as well. I've said it for years that Warrener is exactly the guy the Isles need to solidify their defense.

Seph is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 05:33 PM
  #18
sunb
Registered User
 
sunb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yale University
Country: China
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
This is a fair trade. One of the fairest I've seen in a long time.

Answers both team's positional needs, is salary-sensitive, age & style & health is all taken into consideration.

NYI probably has more of a need to make this trade imo. Calgary benefits but Sutter may want to wait for a bit more since York is not necessarily a better offensive center than Langkow or Reinprecht.

But if after a couple of weeks and Langkow still sucks it up, this trade will be a beauty for both teams.

sunb is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
  #19
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
I personally think the Isles would need to add a little as well.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
  #20
sunb
Registered User
 
sunb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yale University
Country: China
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I personally think the Isles would need to add a little as well.
I thought so too, at first, since my original impression is that Warrener is a bit better than York. But York is the type of player that excels in the new NHL while Warrener's strengths deteriorate.

Overall, this trade is fair and may deviate at most by a 5th rounder going either way.

sunb is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
  #21
PapaBear*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,063
vCash: 500
would rather dump off the useless goon langkow and get parrish too.

PapaBear* is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
  #22
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Since the Flames seem rather crowded at RW, why do you even want Parrish anyway?

If you want to package Rhett W. and Langkow for Parrish + though, fire up the fax.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
  #23
DaMick
at least we got D
 
DaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Very simple one.

To Flames:
Mike York

To Islanders:
Rhett Warrener

.
Sounds good to me

fire up the fax

__________________
DaMick is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
  #24
sunb
Registered User
 
sunb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yale University
Country: China
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
would rather dump off the useless goon langkow and get parrish too.
Warrener and Langkow for Parrish?

Even Milbury would know to take that.

Parrish is an UFA next year and will demand around 3 mils if he has a solid season. There's that catch 22, do you want Parrish to succeed or do you want to keep him?

The Isles would win big time if they could acquire Langkow and Warrener for Parrish.

sunb is offline  
Old
10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
  #25
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
I think PB meant Parrish +, but otherwise I agree with you.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.