HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings and Islander trade proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2005, 12:23 PM
nikolai19

vCash: 500
Actually Darth, if you've watched any of the Kings games this year, Corvo has been much better than before. He's getting pucks towards the net, has very good handles, and because of his speed he's able to make better defensive plays. Not saying he's a top 4 guy, but I would doubt very seriously that he gets sat anytime soon.

You are right though, there is no deal here.

Old
11-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Unless there are two Corvos on the Kings, I have no interest in him. I've seen him play quite a bit in the last two years, and I don't see him as an NHL defender. Not only don't I consider him to be top four on a decent team, I don't consider him to be top six on many teams.

He is an AHL level player who is only in the NHL because expansion has weakened the quality of the league.

Old
11-04-2005, 07:05 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The best part is all the young fowards down there, they call u a 26-year old AHL journeyman
The Kings have had the philosophy the last few seasons that when they're making call ups from the AHL they're recalling players that fit the role of the player that's injured. So if a top 6 forward was injured, they probably would have chosen to recall Tambellini or Pushkarev. In this case Robitaille isn't getting top 6 ice time anymore, they were looking for someone to play on the checking line or 4th line. That's why Giuliano was recalled. Their thinking is that you ask Tambellini or Pushkarev to play a top 6 role in Manchester but if you recall them to play on your 4th line for 8 minutes a game, you're not putting them in a position where they're likely going to be successful. But if you're a grinder, you're used to playing the grinding role. The logic behind it makes sense if you think about it.

Old
11-04-2005, 07:54 PM
R0CKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I wouldn't give you ANYTHING for Corvo. Not a 5th rounder. Not a 6th rounder. I wouldn't want him on my bench.

Some of the players being discussed in this thread, the Isles woudl be unlikely to take at any cost (I'm saying that if you put them on waivers, Isles would not claim them):Weaver and Corvo. Some are too expensive and too overpaid: Miller. And, some are simply not going to be moved by the crafty Taylor: Gleason.

There is no deal here.
He's inexperienced and has played way better than when he had his bonehead move against Detroit.

BTW...Matty has been making some rediculously boneheaded moves this season taking bad penalties but I pretty sure he doesn't suck either.

If Joe continues to get stronger there's no reason LA would get rid of him.

Certainly on his own he wouldn't bring JN (and I certainly didn't mean that) but LA's got that extra 3rd and a huge stockpile of yongsters on the way so possibly they could ante up one of there pick to go as well (3rd or 4th).

I am not buying into the overreaction od some who say Jo C is NEVER going to be a decent player.

Hell, he beat out the Great Grebs 2 seasons (last 3 years) in training camps and that has to mean he's better than is Grebs today. So say what you want but the guy is getting the job done now for what he is on the depth chart.

Old
11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

My counter proposal: Martinek and a 3rd rounder for Vish. Sound ridiculous? It is no different from your deal, to be frank. Corvo and a third rounder would not get you Janne N's left skate.

You don't get a top four dman for a marginal bottom pairing guy and a third rounder.

This deal is probably even worse than Jfont's initial proposal.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 11-04-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old
11-04-2005, 08:52 PM
R0CKET

Quote:
My counter proposal: Martinek and a 3rd rounder for Vish. Sound ridiculous? It is no different from your deal, to be frank. Corvo and a third rounder would not get you Janne N's left skate.

You don't get a top four dman for a marginal bottom pairing guy and a third rounder.

This deal is probably even worse than Jfont's initial proposal.
OK I give up.

Honestly though the deal was Phillys 3rd LAs 3 or 4th and Corvo.

I take it you missed the point.

So what you don't want to deal JN.

Fine, but for the record Corvo currently has 1 goal with 4 assits and is a plus 6. That places him 3rd on the current D corp for LA. Timmy G is also a plus 6 with 7 assits. All the other Dmen are behind him in stats except Miller who's a plus 7. Corvo has given offense and played a decent to good D position.

You can still refuse to have him on your team but he's a fairly young inexperienced guy who may turn out to be a good well rounded defenseman if he keeps improving over the next 2-3 years.

But like I said in my 1st post "I'm not sure LA's got anything NY is looking for."

What the hell, we're talking about Mad Mike...you know the guy who wanted to give LA Ziggy for Rosa and Barney?

Now that's even worse than Jfon't 1st proposal.

Thank god for NYI the NHL Brass put that one down.

Old
11-04-2005, 10:26 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Honestly though the deal was Phillys 3rd LAs 3 or 4th and Corvo.

I take it you missed the point.

Isles owner wants to sell tixs for the playoff race now,be competitive now.That pick isn't helping for several seasons and the isles aren't downgrading on D.

Quote:
Fine, but for the record Corvo currently has 1 goal with 4 assits and is a plus 6. That places him 3rd on the current D corp for LA. Timmy G is also a plus 6 with 7 assits. All the other Dmen are behind him in stats except Miller who's a plus 7. Corvo has given offense and played a decent to good D position.

the rookie Campoli has 3 goals,1 assist and is +3.Now let's see them keep up their good play for 82 games instead of just 13.

Quote:
You can still refuse to have him on your team but he's a fairly young inexperienced guy who may turn out to be a good well rounded defenseman if he keeps improving over the next 2-3 years.
and Campoli,Gervais,Kohn and O'neill may turn out to be a good well rounded defensemen if they keep improving over the next 2-3 years.We'll check back in 2-3 yrs.

Quote:
What the hell, we're talking about Mad Mike...you know the guy who wanted to give LA Ziggy for Rosa and Barney?
No Mad Mike did not want to give Ziggy to LA for Rosa and Barney.The ex-owners, the Milstein brothers and Gluckstern wanted to give Ziggy to LA for Rosa and Barney.They wanted to exchange Palffy's $5m a yr salary,for the cheapest salaries they could get.They had an $18m payroll and wanted to take it down to the $12m-$15m range.

Thankfully Chuck Wang is not demanding MM salary dump.Like Peca,hamrlik and Parrish in 2003-04,the isles will either get what they consider to be good value or they will hold onto their player.

Old
11-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKET
."

Also the GM who got Olli J, Pyatt, Biron, and Green for Palffy, and also the man who got Blake from the Kings for a 5th rounder. Not looking so good for the Kings now, eh?

Anyway, you're still missing the point. You don't get top four dmen for limited players like Corvo and mid-round picks. That is basically just ridiculous. You may personally project Corvo to be a top four dman, but that doesn't mean he has any trade value.

Like I said, if Corvo and package of 3rd and 4th rounders gets you Janne N, I think Vish for Martinek and a 4th rounder should be fair. You are arguing that a bottom pairing dman plus a mid-rounder gets you a top four, so fire up the fax and lets get it done. Isles could use Vish for the point on the PP.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Hey Darth, still think that Lubo is at best a 5-6 d-man, like you did during the lockout?

And The Isles and Kings just aren't good trading partners. We're in the same situation, we both need defensemen.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Hey Darth, still think that Lubo is at best a 5-6 d-man, like you did during the lockout?

And The Isles and Kings just aren't good trading partners. We're in the same situation, we both need defensemen.
I think he was a bottom pairing guy in the old NHL, primarily because of his size - not his skill set. I don't think that is as big an issue in the new NHL. In the new NHL, I think a very mobile guy with good positional skills could get away with being smaller. But, to be honest, I'm still not a huge fan. I think the size issue is still going to hurt in the playoffs. So, in answer to your question, at he present time I think he is top four, but I'd rather have bigger players in my top four.

I agree that the teams are not good trade partners, but in a way that is besides the point. The real issue is that trade packages built around bottom pairing dmen and mid-round picks don't have a lot of value. I think it is funny that the above King fan was expecting Corvo to be worth a top four guy but then brushed off my comments about Martinek (who, btw, I consider to be a far superior player to Corvo). Then, he gloated about the Rosa/Barney stuff but shut up real quickly when names like Olli J and Jason Blake were raised.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I agree that the teams are not good trade partners, but in a way that is besides the point. The real issue is that trade packages built around bottom pairing dmen and mid-round picks don't have a lot of value. I think it is funny that the above King fan was expecting Corvo to be worth a top four guy but then brushed off my comments about Martinek (who, btw, I consider to be a far superior player to Corvo).
What's really ridiculous about it, is if Corvo is supposedly a top four, why would LA want to trade him for a top four? Seems pretty lateral, especially if you have to throw in a couple picks.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

In defense of the original poster (my buddy Jfont), I think he assumed that a bottom pairing guy would do it because Janne N has been so up-and-down and the Isles might want to unload his contract. I don't think those were realistic assumptions, but his logic was sound.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKET

The NHL brass put down a key part of that trade that you're leaving out: a giant bag full of cash. The trade you list here they could've cared less about, they just didn't want NYI receiving and cash for Palffy. Once that was decided, Milbury negotiated a much fairer deal.

Old
11-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
The NHL brass put down a key part of that trade that you're leaving out: a giant bag full of cash. The trade you list here they could've cared less about, they just didn't want NYI receiving and cash for Palffy. Once that was decided, Milbury negotiated a much fairer deal.
In all honesty, Seph, we don't really know what did happen - either with the Kings or the aborted Ranger$ deal. There were rumors of big cash payments, etc. I personally prefer to evaluate that situation based on what really did happen. So, trying to defend a Ziggy for Rosa and Barney deal, which never actually happened, seems kind of pointless to me.

I felt OK with the return from the Palffy deal, under the circumstances. Olli J turned into a pretty useful center, and I believe Green would have been good if not for injuries. And, of course, Biron brought us Aucoin (who, in his prime, I would not have traded straight up for Ziggy), and Pyatt got us Peca.

The problem with that deal was not what we got from the Kings, it was what we did with those assets afterwards that was bad.

And, incidently, the fact that the Isles made out OK in that deal, doesn't make it any less smart a move for Dave Taylor. It was the classic youth-for-a-vet deal, and helped both sides.

The EVIL ONE's problem has never been what he does with vets, it is moving youngsters before they have a chance to develop.

Old
11-06-2005, 09:32 PM
R0CKET

Quote:
I think it is funny.
What's funny, I mean with the total failure that is the Mad Mike Milbury reign you must really be a fine connoisseur of humor eh?

Quote:
Then, he gloated
Are you some kind of mind-reader...how do you get off saying I was gloating. You don't know what you're talking about. Milbury is known to make bad deals. I mean this is the bonehead who gave a 10 year contract at 9+ mil to Yashin right? What I was doing, just so you can get it, is that I was saying Mike tends (an understatement?) to be prone to making bad deals when he sours on a player.

Quote:
but shut up real quickly when names like Olli J and Jason Blake were raised
Cuz someone doesn't immediately reply are you saying they have gone off running to Mama?

Well for your misinformed opinion I was playing hockey, coaching my kids, taking care of my house, visiting with my family and about 10 other far more important things.

Unlike you who averages 12.9 posts per day, it would seem that I have a real life rather than a life where I constantly start arguments on a BB.

And now that I am addressing you, I am totally happy you got Blake cuz he sucked in LA and we have guys in Manchester who’re probably already better than he is. He's not going to win anyone any cups if you know what I mean.

I hope this one doesn't get KO'd by the moderator cuz it doesn't contain any "personal attacks"...unlike the response I am replying to.

Old
11-07-2005, 01:19 AM
jfont

Awards:
ok thats it...thread closed.