HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best Europeans by countries

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
  #26
Garbs
Registered User
 
Garbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
The emphasis is on international careers
Then why is Markus Naslund in the top 5 for Sweden?

And I'm inclined to believe that Sundin has done a lot more on the international stage than Forsberg.

I'm not really convinced you followed your own criteria while making these lists.

Garbs is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 11:46 PM
  #27
soulok*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Leaving Esa Tikkanen out of the 5 greatest finish players has to be absurd, he was one of the most complete finish hockey players ever.

soulok* is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 02:15 AM
  #28
Marcus-74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs
Then why is Markus Naslund in the top 5 for Sweden?

And I'm inclined to believe that Sundin has done a lot more on the international stage than Forsberg.

I'm not really convinced you followed your own criteria while making these lists.
Well, wipe the dirt out of your glasses and take another peep at the list, and then you might find out that there´s no M-A-R-K-U-S Naslund in there (and never has been), but rather an older guy called Mats

And having emphasis on international careers doesn´t mean (at least to me it doesn´t) that the clearly best ever Swedish player IMO (=Peter Forsberg) shouldn´t be on top. He is the best Swede ever, isn´t he? Jagr wouldn´t be the top Czech either if I JUST looked at the international heroics, would he?


Last edited by Marcus-74: 11-04-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Marcus-74 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 02:30 AM
  #29
Marcus-74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulok
Leaving Esa Tikkanen out of the 5 greatest finish players has to be absurd, he was one of the most complete finish hockey players ever.
I´ve already acknowledged that leaving him out (=a sudden loss of memory) was a mistake. But you can put him in there if you want. Here´s my password; #############

But I think that Tiki in the top-5 would be too high, anyway... around 7-9 rather?

PS. And I KNOW that there are names missing and other inconsistencies, but hey, nobody´s perfect (finishing line of which movie, BTW?).

Marcus-74 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 02:41 AM
  #30
Marcus-74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
The best Soviet skater in the Summit 72 series was Yakushev. Thats even before Kharlamov was hurt. Maltsev was a good playmaker, Kharlamov was a dynamic player but Yakushev was the most feared.
I agree with you but what´s that got to do with anything? I mean, Yakushev had a very good international career in addition to his heroics in the Summit, but there´s no way he should be in the top-10... I mean NO WAY

Thank you & good night & God bless

Marcus-74 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 02:52 PM
  #31
pihinalle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Jere Lehtinen should be in top10 for Finland.

pihinalle is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 03:06 PM
  #32
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
Federov in his prime is one of the top 5 players I've seen from ANY country.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 09:59 PM
  #33
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
I agree with you but what´s that got to do with anything? I mean, Yakushev had a very good international career in addition to his heroics in the Summit, but there´s no way he should be in the top-10... I mean NO WAY

Thank you & good night & God bless
why not, you have kharlamov at #3 - Yakushev as an HM? Doesnt seem right, legends aside from what I saw. Kharmalov wasnt better in Summit 72, wasnt a standout in the Challenge Cup either. Scored a dazzling goal versus Dryden in G1 72, and 75 NY Eve. To me he was more like a Bure. Flashy dazzling scorer. Not dominant.

God bless U 2

chooch* is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 10:26 PM
  #34
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
I think that Moglilny deserves an HM if only because he really opened the door for Europeans in the NHL. Plus, he used to be a pretty damn good player.

KH1 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 10:56 PM
  #35
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
why not, you have kharlamov at #3 - Yakushev as an HM? Doesnt seem right, legends aside from what I saw. Kharmalov wasnt better in Summit 72, wasnt a standout in the Challenge Cup either. Scored a dazzling goal versus Dryden in G1 72, and 75 NY Eve. To me he was more like a Bure. Flashy dazzling scorer. Not dominant.

God bless U 2
Kharlamov's 7 USSR all-star selections to Yakushev's 1 tell another story.

BM67 is offline  
Old
11-07-2005, 03:29 AM
  #36
Marcus-74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67
Kharlamov's 7 USSR all-star selections to Yakushev's 1 tell another story.
Dat´s roit. One problem for Yakushev was of course that he represented the Spartak team and not Red Army, and that also meant that he always played "only" on the 2nd or 3rd line in the National team. He would have probably been more recognized in Europe (and Soviet Union) if he had played on the 1st line... but then again; Alexander Maltsev had the same misfortune too and yet he is better remembered & more appreciated (in Europe).

I would also like to add that Vladimir Shadrin as the set up man deserves a little credit for Yakushev´s success in ´72; they were terrific together - especially in Moscow - and dominated with their defensemen almost every time they were on the ice.


Last edited by Marcus-74: 11-07-2005 at 03:35 AM.
Marcus-74 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.