HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver is next!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Vancouver is next!!

Ok guys, now we find out just how good our team is this season. No sense waiting around, and all that crap. Can we beat Vancouver this season? Its as simple as that. The Oilers did look good last night after that lethargic first period, after that we dominated! What a fourth line, not to mention that Torres had two points and second star. My first look at him was last night, and I am impressed. That fourth line is going to make other teams look silly. As for the other lines, Smyth centered very well, winning some key faceoffs. Yorkie's line had chances but failed to pop any. Izzy had trouble with that funky facemask on, and although that shouldn't be an excuse, how can it not screw up a guys game? Overall I was impressed, but the real test is Saturday night. The Oilers need to win this game. It will set the tone for the whole season. Vancouver smoked Calgary, and the Oilers need to return the favour to the 'nucks and knock down their confidence a peg or two. Salo needs to be even more focused than last night, that second goal was atrocious. I have to admit though, after that second goal, he bailed us out a couple of times till we could pop a few. TEAM EFFORT BOYS, ROLL FOUR LINES AND TAKE THE BODY!!!!! LETS ANNHILLATE THE THE 'NUCKS!!!

Old
10-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
Ok guys, now we find out just how good our team is this season. No sense waiting around, and all that crap. Can we beat Vancouver this season? Its as simple as that. The Oilers did look good last night after that lethargic first period, after that we dominated! What a fourth line, not to mention that Torres had two points and second star. My first look at him was last night, and I am impressed. That fourth line is going to make other teams look silly. As for the other lines, Smyth centered very well, winning some key faceoffs. Yorkie's line had chances but failed to pop any. Izzy had trouble with that funky facemask on, and although that shouldn't be an excuse, how can it not screw up a guys game? Overall I was impressed, but the real test is Saturday night. The Oilers need to win this game. It will set the tone for the whole season. Vancouver smoked Calgary, and the Oilers need to return the favour to the 'nucks and knock down their confidence a peg or two. Salo needs to be even more focused than last night, that second goal was atrocious. I have to admit though, after that second goal, he bailed us out a couple of times till we could pop a few. TEAM EFFORT BOYS, ROLL FOUR LINES AND TAKE THE BODY!!!!! LETS ANNHILLATE THE THE 'NUCKS!!!

Sorry guys, take back my silly comment about Yorkie's line not popping any, I believe that Chimmer and Hemsky are on his line, and they got the second goal.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Bergeron will send Bertuzzi head over heels :clown: as the Oilers work their way to a 4-2 win. Naslund will get shutout by Salo for once. One of the Sedin's will score, and one of the dman. Probably Sopel.

Hemsky with a goal and an assist. Pisani with a goal. Brewer on the powerplay, and then York with his first of the season. :p

After all is said and done may the best team win.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:57 AM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Sami Salo the defenceman for Vancouver will block and stop more shots than Tommy Salo will.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'd like to see the TORQUE line out against Bertuzzi half the time. Tell them to do two things. Firstly, and most importantly, DO NOT get scored on. Second, pulverize and destroy Bertuzzi/Naslund every chance you get. Tell Torres to shadow him - everytime he's with in stick length, he should be giving some gentle slashes to the back of the ugly italians legs - not enough to get a penalty, but enough to get the dumby mad. If you get Bertuzzi frustrated, then he won't be nearly as good - and if he's not as good Naslund won't get the room that he gets because of Bertuzzi. And after you take care of those two, all that is left is a bottom five team full of pluggers, and under-achieving Swedes.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:00 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Sami Salo the defenceman for Vancouver will block and stop more shots than Tommy Salo will.
Hey buddy, your back! And still a loser! Who'da thought!?!?

Old
10-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I'd like to see the TORQUE line out against Bertuzzi half the time. Tell them to do two things. Firstly, and most importantly, DO NOT get scored on. Second, pulverize and destroy Bertuzzi/Naslund every chance you get. Tell Torres to shadow him - everytime he's with in stick length, he should be giving some gentle slashes to the back of the ugly italians legs - not enough to get a penalty, but enough to get the dumby mad. If you get Bertuzzi frustrated, then he won't be nearly as good - and if he's not as good Naslund won't get the room that he gets because of Bertuzzi. And after you take care of those two, all that is left is a bottom five team full of pluggers, and under-achieving Swedes.
Wow what an analogy

Old
10-10-2003, 07:52 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'm expecting a big game from the line. I hope to see Naslund and Morrison harrassed and hit at every opportunity- I hope the Oilers play them as rough as the rules allow. Unfortunately, this will make the crowd upset, and as a result the referees are going to be looking for any excuse to put an Oiler in the box. Discipline will be important, and the Oilers' penalty killing is going to have to be good.

This is the kind of game that guys like Isbister and Torres were brought here to play in- so they better show their stuff.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Quote:
Hey buddy, your back! And still a loser! Who'da thought!?!?
Loser???? You got 600+ post since August. Got nothing better to do in the big Eddy town? Now, big boy , get a life. Also loose that Avatar and stop living in the past - Kurri? Thats going way back in the '80s and you probably weren't even born yet.

and - uhhhh - got nutin witty to say!!!! under your Kurri pic. well no kidding

Old
10-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Loser???? You got 600+ post since August. Got nothing better to do in the big Eddy town? Now, big boy , get a life. Also loose that Avatar and stop living in the past - Kurri? Thats going way back in the '80s and you probably weren't even born yet.

and - uhhhh - got nutin witty to say!!!! under your Kurri pic. well no kidding
Is it really that hard to find another board to troll?

Old
10-10-2003, 08:40 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Put on ignore. The ban police will be along shortly.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I'm expecting a big game from the line.
That is a kickass name for the Torres-Horcoff-Laraque line (that's what you meant, right?)

Old
10-10-2003, 08:42 AM
goldenchild

STAY out of the Box! that is the #1 thing we have to do. bertuzzi and Naslund kill teams on the PP not 5 on 5, last night was no different I believe both scored on the PP. 5 on 5 I think the Reasoner line plays them tough. if Simmer has found the PP then I like our chances.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:48 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Yet another Oiler fan scared of big #44.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Oilers Hockey

^Yet another scared Canuck fan in denial of facts.

Don't troll our board, I seen your posts.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
^Yet another scared Canuck fan in denial of facts.

Don't troll our board, I seen your posts.
Heh, if you don't mind me asking...what facts?

If anything, last years 'facts' indicate the Canucks really don't have to be worried about the Oilers. Especially since Naslund scores on Salo pretty much everytime he shoots the puck.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:01 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Yet another Oiler fan scared of big #44.
D00d, who isn't scared of #44. That guy can kill your team. All we are saying is that if we pester him a bit his temper will take over and may take hiim out of the game (mentally not physically). That is the best way to play against a guy like him.

We aren't bashing him, just trying to figure out the best way to beat the nucks. I am sure you guys are discussing similar things about the Oil over on your board..

Old
10-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
Heh, if you don't mind me asking...what facts
This fact:

When you take away Naslund and Bert...

Quote:
all that is left is a bottom five team full of pluggers, and under-achieving Swedes.
...and it's a fair analogy.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:12 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
Heh, if you don't mind me asking...what facts?

If anything, last years 'facts' indicate the Canucks really don't have to be worried about the Oilers. Especially since Naslund scores on Salo pretty much everytime he shoots the puck.
LOL, I really hope you guys aren't worried and take us lightly. That will rule. But honestly the games between Edmonton and Vancouver last year were pretty close with some VERY suspect reffing.. We'll just have to see what happens on Sat won't we.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:21 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I think most people would agree that the big difference in games between these two teams last year was the Canucks' powerplay.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I think most people would agree that the big difference in games between these two teams last year was the Canucks' powerplay.

Right. Their PP killed us. So did the reffing though.

I wonder if Bert would scrap Laraque? That would RULE!! Bubuy Bertuzzi.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
This fact:

When you take away Naslund and Bert...

...and it's a fair analogy.
No doubt the secondary scoring problem has been there in the past.

However, I think you'll see the top line score less this season, and the 2nd and 3rd lines score more. My reasoning?

Well, I doubt Naslund & Bertuzzi put as many points on the board as they did last year. I'm expecting something like a 90 point season from Naslund, an 85 point season from Todd, and 70 more from Morrison.

The Sedin's are entering their 4th year, traditionally a breakout year for players, and are showing major signs of doing just that. Though King is a big question mark, I think Flames fans got a good look at just what the Twins can do - especially now. I think Edmonton fans will come away with more respect for the twins than they've had in the past for them after Saturday.

Finally, our bottom 6 does look a lot better. Adding Arvedson is obviously throwing in some more offense into the mix. But another potential breakout player is Artem Chubarov, who could become a big part of the secondary scoring this year.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Impossibles

Can't wait for this game. The nucks and the oilers have the most entertaining hockey games in the league.

Couple notes for you guys:

1) Bertuzzi is an assistant captain this year, and I think the reasoning behind that is to give him more responsibility so he thinks twice about throwing a tantrum. yesterday against the flames he really kept his cool, even though Gauthier was hounding him all night. Its only been one game, but it looks like he's handling his temper a little better thus far.

2) The sedins are looking much better this year. I know canucks fans say this every year, but they stopped having that dumb look on their face (like they don't know if they belong here) since the last couple weeks of last season. I think they have really stepped it up and as proof that line got a combined 8 shots on net and a very pretty goal. They've stopped the never ending cycle and are actually getting shots on net, which is what they haven't done for the last 2 years.

added:

3) Our third line of Arvedson-Linden-Cooke absolutely shut the Iginla line down last night, and created a lot of chances. That line is going to dominate defensively every time they are on the ice.

4) Cloutier looked very sharp against the flames...the only goal against was a flukey re-direct that he had no chance on.

5-2 Canucks!

Old
10-10-2003, 09:48 AM
gretzky2kurri

Unless the Sedin sisters can produce this season.......I feel the analogy stands pretty firm.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Are you encouraging headhunting ? Go after Naslund and Bertuzzi ?

Maybe we should send out May to really break Smyth's hand like he did to Tkachuk last season.

And I wouldn't get too physical with Vancouver, they are on average a bigger and heavier team than the Oilers.

Closed Thread