HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Vancouver is next!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 10:26 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
Are you encouraging headhunting ? Go after Naslund and Bertuzzi ?

Maybe we should send out May to really break Smyth's hand like he did to Tkachuk last season.
I can't say I agree with the headhunting idea but I bet we would survive a lot easier with Smyth gone than you guy would with Naslund and Bertuzzi gone.

That's the danger of building a team with 2/3's of one line and simply filling sweaters with warm bodies for the remaining 10 forward positions.

Should be a good game though with one of two things resulting.

1) Vancouver sneaks out a win and proclaim this is the season of destiny for the Canucks and they are quite simply the best team ever iced in the game of hockey or;

2) Edmonton sneaks out a win, in which case Vancouver was screwed over by the refs and it's still a season of destiny only the league is conspiring against them.

Personally I am betting on #2.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:28 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
7-2 Vancouver.

Physical game, but Vancouver capatalizes on boneheaded Edmonton plays.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I can't say I agree with the headhunting idea but I bet we would survive a lot easier with Smyth gone than you guy would with Naslund and Bertuzzi gone.

That's the danger of building a team with 2/3's of one line and simply filling sweaters with warm bodies for the remaining 10 forward positions.

1) Vancouver sneaks out a win and proclaim this is the season of destiny for the Canucks and they are quite simply the best team ever iced in the game of hockey or;

2) Edmonton sneaks out a win, in which case Vancouver was screwed over by the refs and it's still a season of destiny only the league is conspiring against them.

Both very likely.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
thecanucker

Send a message via MSN to thecanucker
7-3 Canucks
Naslund get's the hatrick, H Sedin, D Sedin, Cooke
Hemsky, Smyth, Isbister

Salo get's pulled in the 2nd period.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergizerScotty
7-2 Vancouver.

Physical game, but Vancouver capatalizes on boneheaded Edmonton plays.
Hmmm...having flashbacks to Game 5 and all the "boneheaded plays" Vancouver made?

5-0 Oilers. Torres pests Bertuzzi over and over until Big Bert throws one of his patented fits and gets ejected for a game misconduct and crys to the media after the game.

Brian Burke stubbornly defends Dan "Sieve" Cloutier after the game with remarks like "It wasn't his fault! He's a true #1 goalie!" with beads of sweat running down his face and a vein throbbing in his forehead.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:04 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue

1) with reference to the 2/3rd of one line and remaining 10 spots to anyone:

I guess that means you don't think too much of the rest of our lineup?? Morrison?? Cooke?? Linden?? the Sedins were great last night... Arvedson was flying.. and the 4th line was every bit as good as your 4th line last night.

oh yea.. I forgot we're still a one-line team, or is now less than 1 line team - a 2/3rd of a line team?? well I just hope you don't forget the other lines too much, like the flames did last night. This team still scored 265 goals last year... even if you take away our 2 top players, that's still over 160 goals scored by the rest of the team, or just over 2 goals a game that you still have to contain, while still containing the top line.

wasn't easy last season... or the year before... won't be easy this year either!

2) with the "screwed by the refs" seems to me that it's been the regular excuse for the Oilers all of last season against the Canucks and even in this same thread... after every game last year, it was "unfair penalities"... it was the Oilers fans that were complaining about it last year, so why would that change now to the Canucks??

I think there is a better possiblity, that the Canucks will win on Saturday on the backs of a couple of key PP goals, and then have Oilers fan here saying that they were "screwed by the refs"...

but in the end.... it's all about the W! we did fairly well against the Oil last season...

may the best team win - and the winner, regardless of the excuses, will be the one most deserving... just like last season!

Old
10-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Funkymoses

Oilers 6 million! one million hat tricks for Smyth!

Canucks 0.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

Maybe we should send out May to really break Smyth's hand like he did to Tkachuk last season.

And I wouldn't get too physical with Vancouver, they are on average a bigger and heavier team than the Oilers.
You are a total piece of ****. Bryan Allen intentionally slashed Smyth in the preseason that forced him to miss the rest of the preseason. Allen is a very dirty player.

10-10-2003, 11:07 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Can't wait for this game. The nucks and the oilers have the most entertaining hockey games in the league.

Couple notes for you guys:

1) Bertuzzi is an assistant captain this year, and I think the reasoning behind that is to give him more responsibility so he thinks twice about throwing a tantrum. yesterday against the flames he really kept his cool, even though Gauthier was hounding him all night. Its only been one game, but it looks like he's handling his temper a little better thus far.

2) The sedins are looking much better this year. I know canucks fans say this every year, but they stopped having that dumb look on their face (like they don't know if they belong here) since the last couple weeks of last season. I think they have really stepped it up and as proof that line got a combined 8 shots on net and a very pretty goal. They've stopped the never ending cycle and are actually getting shots on net, which is what they haven't done for the last 2 years.

added:

3) Our third line of Arvedson-Linden-Cooke absolutely shut the Iginla line down last night, and created a lot of chances. That line is going to dominate defensively every time they are on the ice.

4) Cloutier looked very sharp against the flames...the only goal against was a flukey re-direct that he had no chance on.

5-2 Canucks!
IF the Sedins show up this year the Canucks are going to be very difficult. Arvedson was a really nice pick-up for your team. I figure if you guys are going to do it this has to be the year. Cloutier only gets to answer critics come post-season though. Until then it doesn't matter how good he looks. How does King look with the Sedins? That was a pretty goal I saw last night.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:09 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
You are a total piece of ****. Bryan Allen intentionally slashed Smyth in the preseason that forced him to miss the rest of the preseason. Allen is a very dirty player.
not sure exactly how you *know* that the hit was intentional and he wanted to injury the player... but Allen is not now, or ever has been a dirty player...

this is the first reference ever made to him being a dirty player!

Old
10-10-2003, 11:13 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
How does King look with the Sedins? That was a pretty goal I saw last night.
too early to tell how King will look long term... personally I'm still skeptical about him remaining with the team long term...

but the Sedins are looking awesome right now... they have always been mentally strong players (and a big reason why they always seem to play their best games in teh playoffs and against the top competition, very consistently over the past few years)...

but this year, they've taken a big step physically as well... they came into camp as the two best conditioned players overall, and have been solid every time they've hit the ice...

I'm not worried about the Sedins... always thought they'd step up eventually in their development... but IMO their breakout year will be year #5, like it has for other players that have gone through similar steps in their development.

Still this year should be interesting with them... they will be better... already stronger and just as focussed... and they know and understand the NHL game better now too.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:31 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Hey Nuckfans!

You guys are a good team but I think you might be counting out Edmonton a bit too early. Your top line is better then our, no doubt. But Chimera Hemsky York will sake circles aroung the sedins. The 3rd lines are about as effective but our 4th line will dominate yours.

I think we are fairely evenly matched. Hope it 's a good game tomorrow

Old
10-10-2003, 11:35 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:

And I wouldn't get too physical with Vancouver, they are on average a bigger and heavier team than the Oilers.
Who said anything about headhunting? Until you came along, people were talking about playing physical hockey, not goon hockey. Go back to your own board, cupcake.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I guess that means you don't think too much of the rest of our lineup?? Morrison?? Cooke?? Linden?? the Sedins were great last night... Arvedson was flying.. and the 4th line was every bit as good as your 4th line last night.

oh yea.. I forgot we're still a one-line team, or is now less than 1 line team - a 2/3rd of a line team?? well I just hope you don't forget the other lines too much, like the flames did last night. This team still scored 265 goals last year... even if you take away our 2 top players, that's still over 160 goals scored by the rest of the team, or just over 2 goals a game that you still have to contain, while still containing the top line.
Ok that wasn't fair of me. I concede you guys have 1 full good line.

I wonder, since Canuck fans seem to believe that the Oilers are destined to miss the playoffs this year and gasp at the idea that parts of our team may actually be better than parts of the Canuck team I ask you;
does the fact the Oilers bottom 3 forward lines outscored the Canucks bottom three forward lines by 40 goals last year make the Oilers a better team, deeper team than you guys argue OR does it make the Vancouver team worse and indeed a 1 line team?

Quote:
with the "screwed by the refs" seems to me that it's been the regular excuse for the Oilers all of last season against the Canucks and even in this same thread... after every game last year, it was "unfair penalities"... it was the Oilers fans that were complaining about it last year, so why would that change now to the Canucks??

I think there is a better possiblity, that the Canucks will win on Saturday on the backs of a couple of key PP goals, and then have Oilers fan here saying that they were "screwed by the refs"...
You mean that wasn't Crawford, Burke, Bertuzzi and co. spouting off about unfair treatment by the refs last year after every loss? You couldn't even check the sports ticker on The Score after a Canucks loss due to the pure menutia spewing from these guys at their press conferences.

Quote:
may the best team win - and the winner, regardless of the excuses, will be the one most deserving... just like last season!
I agree with that.

All the rest is simply competetive ribbing to get things going...

Old
10-10-2003, 12:29 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Unless the Sedin sisters can produce this season.......I feel the analogy stands pretty firm.
I'll agree on the analogy except for the Canucks third line.

Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke could be the best third line in hockey in my opinion.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Malmo_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I'll agree on the analogy except for the Canucks third line.

Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke could be the best third line in hockey in my opinion.
I think Dallas would give them a run for their money

Old
10-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Digger12

My fearless prediction:

If Edmonton doesn't win the game...Vancouver will win. Unless it's a tie, in which case all bets are off and we're in uncharted territory.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:42 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
I will have to say a 4-3 overtime loss for the oil an exciting fast hard hitting game the way all Oiler Canuck games sould be.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Shizuka

Oilers in tough...

...expecting a lower scoring affair, actually. Maybe 2-1 or 3-2, Oilers. I caught a bit of the game last night on CBC between Van and the Flames...I have to admit, the passing and pace of a Canucks game is really entertaining. Hope to see a great game Saturday (sorry Van city fans, I think you'll lose though )

Old
10-10-2003, 03:09 PM
jadeddog

i hope the oilers win and all, BUT.... until this team plays at least 500 hockey against the upper echelon teams in the west (colorado, detroit, dallas, vancouver, st. louis) im not gonna start saying that our team is in any way better then their team

although i *would* really like to see the oilers kick the hell out of the seedish national.... oops i mean vancouver canucks

Old
10-10-2003, 03:36 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i hope the oilers win and all, BUT.... until this team plays at least 500 hockey against the upper echelon teams in the west (colorado, detroit, dallas, vancouver, st. louis) im not gonna start saying that our team is in any way better then their team

although i *would* really like to see the oilers kick the hell out of the seedish national.... oops i mean vancouver canucks
Agreed with all of that.

(especially the kickin' the hell out of 'em part. )

Old
10-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Oi'll say!

I don't think either team was severely tested last night, the Sharks and Flames haven't proven to be elite competition over the past while and SJ is obviously in rebuild mode while Cal is trying to do it all with one line.

The Oilers' edge in this game is obviously in the team toughness category. I don't think the 'Nux have a d-man that will be able to match up well against the torque line now that Baron's gone - Jovo and Ohlund have more important things to do and Allen and Malik aren't good enough to be used against them.

For the Nux it is all about the power play. The refs can't possibly be as bad as they were last year though, the edge here won't be as pronounced.

How will the second lines fare?

Smyth and Dvo are the best 2nd liners in tomorrow night's game, but Smyth is a newby at center and Izzy has the contraption obscuring his view of the puck. The sisters are new and improved, I will be just as interested in seeing who Crawford wants them out against as I am in seeing how well they play.

Does Semi get the nod tomorrow?

SJ has no big players to worry about, it was a good game for a Bergie/Fergie tandem, but if Bert got on the ice against those two all hell would break loose. I think Fergie will sit.

Are the Torque boys satisfied, or are they still hungry? A two goal game for the 4th line is far more than expected, I hope they don't rest on their laurels.

Bottom line: I hope to see a fairly reffed game, and I expect to see the Oilers dominate physically. I don't like what I expect to see when either team is on the pp though, I'll be sweating bullets when the special teams are out there. Should be close, the Oil will win 4-3 or lose 3-2.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:56 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Does Semi get the nod tomorrow?
Geez, I hope so. We do need him out there... not only for our future but this season as well.

Closed Thread