HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles have excess depth on the Wings

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Isles have excess depth on the Wings

I'd love to see one of Parrish, Weinhandl, York, or Kvasha moved for a dman. I know there are a lot of teams in that situation though, so I'm not optimistic about the chances of that going down. But, I would move any of those guys if I could get a true # 4 dman in return (i..e, NOT Bryce Salvador, Tom Poti, etc).

I'd like to see York and Weinhandl packed for a dman, for example.

Old
11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Boughner is available for a pick.

Old
11-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Darth Milbury

Bougher doesn't help us at all. He doesn't address the Isles excess depth on the wing or need for top four dman. In fact, he'd just be another salary for a player the Isles don't need or want.

Old
11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
FLYLine24*

York for Poti

Old
11-01-2005, 01:47 PM
AgentOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
York for Poti

Old
11-01-2005, 01:53 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I think the best option you have is the York/Warrener suggestion made... there aren't a lot of teams with excess depth on defense, that can lose that for forwards... with the CBA as it is, few teams are carrying extra players to begin with.

Basically you're looking for at least a #4 guy (otherwise you wouldn't be dealing guys like York or Parrish)... and that's a position that is in demand for most teams as it is.

Even with Warrener, not sure how available he really is... although with Regehr coming back, he, Hamrlik, Leopold and Phaneuf, they should be fine in their top 4, and Ference and Montador can make up the depth.

Old
11-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Darth Milbury

I love the York for Rhett W. deal, although I still think the Isles will need to sweeten the pot.

Old
11-01-2005, 02:03 PM
trentmccleary

I think perception will make a deal like this difficult. (Compared to 03-04) "everybody is scoring and a hell of a lot of defensemen are ineffective."
So a defenseman who is effective with the new rules is gold. You probably wouldn't want one who has proven to be ineffective thus far. Plus, there will probably be a slight re-adjustment between who is a top 4 and who isn't. Smaller, positionally sound D-men should move up the ranks and some of the guys we still perceive to be top 4 guys... just aren't anymore.

Edit: Also, I think a inordinate amount of teams are looking for defensive improvement/help right now. There will have to be a re-adjustment in terms of defensive expectations. Even teams with a slightly above average defense corps may be looking for defensive help.

Old
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Darth Milbury

All true.

I've bee surprised that some dmen who have a rep as being mobile (like Eric Brewer) have been so ineffective. On the Isles Zhitnik, who I always thought to be over rated, has been a total stud. Hard to say which guys are going to be effective with the new rules.

Old
11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
AgentOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I love the York for Rhett W. deal, although I still think the Isles will need to sweeten the pot.
Perhaps, but maybe not. The Flames are dealing from strength so might be willing to do this deal straight up because of their position of weakness on offense.

I'm thinking Papineau or a pick should be enough sweetner for this deal which appears very equal.

Old
11-01-2005, 02:27 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
All true.

I've bee surprised that some dmen who have a rep as being mobile (like Eric Brewer) have been so ineffective. On the Isles Zhitnik, who I always thought to be over rated, has been a total stud. Hard to say which guys are going to be effective with the new rules.
It's early, but positioning seems much more important than mobility. All the mobility in the world is only going to make a D-man look that much worse when they run around like a chicken with its' head cut off.
Volchenkov has been pretty slow, but his best game of the year was against a speedier Mtl team on Thursday because his positioning improved. He wasn't getting beat outside or being fooled by dekes.
possibly the 2nd most important attribute for a D-man this year... "fer chris*s sake, GET THE PUCK OUTTA YER ZONE!!!!!!!" The bigger zone is causing a lot of problems getting out.
Is there even a neutral zone anymore?... it's seen so briefly every game.

Old
11-01-2005, 02:39 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
York for Poti

in your dreams, a trade for Poti wouldnt warrant a bag of pucks in return much less a good player in York

11-01-2005, 03:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick

in your dreams, a trade for Poti wouldnt warrant a bag of pucks in return much less a good player in York

I think he is joking since the Rangers traded York for Poti

Old
11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

It did in 2002.

Quote:
New York Rangers traded Mike York and a 4th round selection (Ivan Koltsov) in 2002 to the Edmonton Oilers for Tom Poti and Rem Murray.

Old
11-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Year of the Shark!!!

In this "new NHL" there are many teams in the same position as you, needing a #3-#5 dman. However, besides Calgary there are not many teams who have what you are looking for and who are in need of a LW. I don't know what the situation with Witt is, maybe him?

Old
11-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Year of the Shark!!!

Quote:
York for Poti
I don't think even St. Louis would want Poti!!

Old
11-01-2005, 03:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year of the Shark!!!
In this "new NHL" there are many teams in the same position as you, needing a #3-#5 dman. However, besides Calgary there are not many teams who have what you are looking for and who are in need of a LW. I don't know what the situation with Witt is, maybe him?
this is pretty much bang on... looking over the teams, there doesn't seem to be many teams that have 5 decent/good top 4 dmen, and an need in their top 6.

the Isles best bet will probably be to go after a soon to be UFA near deadline time from a non-playoff team.

Old
11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
I'd love to see one of Parrish, Weinhandl, York, or Kvasha moved for a dman. I know there are a lot of teams in that situation though, so I'm not optimistic about the chances of that going down. But, I would move any of those guys if I could get a true # 4 dman in return (i..e, NOT Bryce Salvador, Tom Poti, etc).

I'd like to see York and Weinhandl packed for a dman, for example.

i wonder if the avs cant get any takers for boughner would they consider shipping out skrastins, i believe he is scheduled to be a ufa and is probably consider a decent top 4 defensemen.

which of the players you listed could the avs get for skratch?

blake
liles
briesbois
vaananen

thats a decent top 4

with boughner, sauer and clark for depth.

although i like the way the avs top 3 lines are playing but if we could get parrish or kvasha it might be worth considering

Old
11-01-2005, 06:11 PM
AlMo

As a Leafs fan, I would love to have Parrish on the team but with have no dman to give up unless you want Mr. Belak

Old
11-01-2005, 06:17 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo
As a Leafs fan, I would love to have Parrish on the team but with have no dman to give up unless you want Mr. Belak
Pass

Old
11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i wonder if the avs cant get any takers for boughner would they consider shipping out skrastins, i believe he is scheduled to be a ufa and is probably consider a decent top 4 defensemen.

which of the players you listed could the avs get for skratch?

blake
liles
briesbois
vaananen

thats a decent top 4

with boughner, sauer and clark for depth.

although i like the way the avs top 3 lines are playing but if we could get parrish or kvasha it might be worth considering
Skrastins might fill the bill. I wouldn't move York or Parrish for him though, if he is an impending UFA.

Old
11-01-2005, 07:50 PM
KH1

Warrener for York is one of the only fair trade proposals involving the Islanders I've read in months but if I'm the Isles I don't pull the trigger even though the we'd be getting the better end of the deal. We need York to play some center, especially not knowing whether we want Yashin on the wing or up the middle.

Something around Warrener/Parrish would be fantastic for the Isles though.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Raven25

Quote:
Pass
yes of course... Belak is a terrible defenceman
I'll up it (marginally) and give you Aki Berg and a million thank-you cards..anything to get Colaiacovo, Wozniewski or Kronwall into the line-up. I know, not that you'd want Berg either, but hey..

Old
11-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

What kind of offer for Morris? The Yotes, while reluctant, may be in a position to move him with Mara, Ballard, Tanabe and to an extent Michalek providing offense and puck moving from the blueline. He is going to be UFA I believe but I think he can be signed long term and shouldn't be due a huge raise.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Darth Milbury

How about York and Weinhandl?

Heck, I'd package a dman as well if you wanted, like York and Sopel.

Closed Thread