HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

<< Eklund/RDS Rumour : MA Fleury for Pat Lalime ? >>

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Bluesman

vCash: 500
The Wild have this:

Schultz, Manny and one of the 26 goons in our system for MAF. Toss in Malone and there may be a shiny 6th rounder for you

Old
11-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Further reasoning that RDS has lost any and all credability.

A trade that makes zero sense for both teams. The Blues have a couple good young goalies(especially Schwarz) and, well, let's just say the fans in Pittsburgh won't exactly be happy with any Fleury deal.

I don't care what the trade is, if Patrick deals Fleury he's going to lose any and all fan support he had left. I'd be wearing my Fleury jersey to every game for the remainder of the season with a little *** tag on it.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
RDS? Maybe the message got lost in translation. I'm sure it meant to say Lalime isn't worth MA Fleury's left foot, let alone an equal asset in a trade.
Which is probably why it also mentioned a d-man.

Add Jackman to the mix and it looks very reasonable.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:24 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
They're not trading their goalie of the future just so Lemieux and Recchi MIGHT win a stanley cup this season.
Okay, I get it. I guess they'd hold onto him if a great offer came along just so they MIGHT win a Stanley Cup five years from now? Your comment doesn't explain why they invested all that money in players like Recchi, LeClair, Palffy, and Gonchar. I mean, if they're trying win five years from now, spending that money now on players with values that will decline or become nil in five years doesn't make sense. Their obvious weakness is experience and quality on the blueline.

I wish you'd address my post as a whole rather than one arbitrary and semantic detail. "They're not trading the goalie of the future..." in and of itself is not a persuasive argument against the theme of this thread. I'm trying to rationalize the idea that Fleury could be traded for something of immediate (and future) value for the Pens. Everything has a price, and just so we're all clear, if I were Craig Patrick and St. Louis offered two young, bona fide top-pairing defensemen like Jackman and Brewer for Fleury and Lalime's salary, I would do it and in a hurry.

I can understand Pens fans not wanting to surrender him, but I believe those feelings have more to do with the investment we all put into players on our favorite teams than they do logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
...then and only then could Pens fans utter the word Stanley (very quietly in the privacy of their own homes)
Hey, I didn't want it that way, but they shouldn't have ticked me off.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
boomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456
RDS source sucks... I remember them saying , this summer, that Miroslav Satan was really close to sign with the Habs... then, a few hours later, I learned that he signed with the islanders...

They were, but then Kovalev decided to sigh so MTL. backed out on the offer. They also offered a contract to Karya, Aucoin...and a few others, but back out when Kovalev signed. On Aucoin, they just didnt think he was worth that much, and by the way he started his season so far, im sure glan we did not sigh him for over 4 million.

As for RDS, they are a good source, the problem is they only have good sources when it inbvolves french players (most of their agents are french). when it comes to the rest ofthe league players, RDS is always the last one to know.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
And in response to your positon...

Eklund: DEAL IMMINENT (E5).

where does it say this...or was it a joke....if it was a joke it wasn't very funny.

Stan, I understand your view, any deal depends on what the Blues would want to add or what an entire deal would be. it doesn't change the fact that the Penguins already have a #1 goalie. That horrid defense isn't going to save any goalie, and Eric Brewer won't change that

Old
11-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456
RDS source sucks... I remember them saying , this summer, that Miroslav Satan was really close to sign with the Habs... then, a few hours later, I learned that he signed with the islanders...
That doesn't mean it wasn't thruth.... Dandenault was about to sign with the Bruins when he finally received a call by Gainey...

Old
11-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Claypool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Your comment doesn't explain why they invested all that money in players like Recchi, LeClair, Palffy, and Gonchar.
Probably has to do with the fact there is a cap floor of 20 mil (or so) and they had less than 5 mil commited to the seaosn.

Quote:
I mean, if they're trying win five years from now, spending that money now on players with values that will decline or become nil in five years doesn't make sense.
They were trying to win 5 years from now, however, they wanted Crosby to be on a team with quality, veteran players. Also, they had to make some splashes to bring excitment to the team to get the attendence back up.

Quote:
Their obvious weakness is experience and quality on the blueline.
Yeah

Quote:
I'm trying to rationalize the idea that Fleury could be traded for something of immediate (and future) value for the Pens.
but he's not going to be traded, so why are you thinking about it? Stop clicking on Eklund's site.

Quote:
Everything has a price, and just so we're all clear, if I were Craig Patrick and St. Louis offered two young, bona fide top-pairing defensemen like Jackman and Brewer for Fleury and Lalime's salary, I would do it and in a hurry.
after only the first month of the season? Besides, Lalime isn't a Stanley Cup goalie! If they were acquiring Martain Brodeur and already grabbed a playoff spot, then ok, I understand the trade, but it's Lalime.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:20 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky371
* I already hear all Sens fan start to cry .. *
According to RDS, blues are very interested in MA Fleury. The trade involve a defensman or two and Patrick Lalime for MA Fleury.

Source : RDS.CA

___

My reaction : Better to be Brewer and Jackman or Pens get *******
Did anyone else hear this?? on RDS

Old
11-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Yah, I think a deal of Brooks Orpik, and MAF to Pittsburgh for Patrick Lalime, Marek Schwarz, and one of Eric Brewer, Barrett Jackman, or Jeff Woywitka. Certainly a fair trade.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
TheMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Change Lalime to Schwarz
This bang on. Would be Schwarz and defensive help for Fleury. No way they pick up Lalime with Thibault already there.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Did anyone else hear this?? on RDS
yes... during the FLO/MTL game

Old
11-02-2005, 09:36 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
after only the first month of the season? Besides, Lalime isn't a Stanley Cup goalie! If they were acquiring Martain Brodeur and already grabbed a playoff spot, then ok, I understand the trade, but it's Lalime.
stanley's point is that it isn't Lalime, but Brewer and Jackman that would interest the Pens (if in fact they were the guys going... and there is certainly nothing concrete to suggest that they are the ones). Two defensemen of that calibre in front of Thibault would do wonders for the Pens now and in the future.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:41 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
stanley's point is that it isn't Lalime, but Brewer and Jackman that would interest the Pens (if in fact they were the guys going... and there is certainly nothing concrete to suggest that they are the ones). Two defensemen of that calibre in front of Thibault would do wonders for the Pens now and in the future.
That's what I was thinking also. Brewer and Jackman have alot of trade value too - so it's not like it would be that far fetched.

Actually I think the deal would be really rotten for the Blues... their defensive closet - both now and for the future would be bare.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Yah, I think a deal of Brooks Orpik, and MAF to Pittsburgh for Patrick Lalime, Marek Schwarz, and one of Eric Brewer, Barrett Jackman, or Jeff Woywitka. Certainly a fair trade.

Says who?

I'd kill myself.

Old
11-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
Says who?

I'd kill myself.
LOL !

I wouldn't go that far... But while I wouldn't mind seeing MAF traded for a MASSIVE overpayment... That is not it.
That trade would leave the Pens with Thibault, Lalime and Caron in net, with Schwarz as the top prospect.
And while I think Jackman has far more potential than Orpik... I still wouldn't come near that trade.

Old
11-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I really like Schwarz. I think he is going to be a beast in the NHL.

Regardless, I refuse to part with Fleury.

Old
11-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
I really like Schwarz. I think he is going to be a beast in the NHL.

Regardless, I refuse to part with Fleury.
Same.

Old
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Okay, I get it. I guess they'd hold onto him if a great offer came along just so they MIGHT win a Stanley Cup five years from now? Your comment doesn't explain why they invested all that money in players like Recchi, LeClair, Palffy, and Gonchar. I mean, if they're trying win five years from now, spending that money now on players with values that will decline or become nil in five years doesn't make sense. Their obvious weakness is experience and quality on the blueline.
They spent money this year to ice a competitive team and try to generate some excitement, cash in at the gate from the Crosby hype, and stake their case for a new arena.

The re-building plan has not been abandoned, and the cornerstones of that plan are all of: Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Whitney.

I do see your point, and think it is not without merit. The hypothetical trade would be more about the immediate defensive help. But even if that were the case, what would the Pens possibly want with Lalime? He won't be the club's future, he would scarcely be an upgrade over T-blow, and losing Fleury leaves a gap in the plan that would have to be addressed.

But its just not the case. The UFAs were brought in to generate excitement, to create an environment conducive to Crosby's development, and to take offensive pressure off his shoulders. It is not an all out push for a cup.

Not to mention, one of the links said Fleury for Lalime and a second. Not plus 2 defenders.

You never know what is going on in the back rooms, but I know I would certainly lose a lot of respect if this went down.

This whole thing stems from Ecklund's brain farts. I've read the links and myself, I'm still not convinced he isn't a 12 year old boy who posts at HFboards and giggles like a schoolgirl in his Mother's basement while posting this stuff. At best, he is a hack of an insider who throws as many rumors as he can imagine at the wall knowing full well that the law of averages dictates that some of it has to stick.

Old
11-02-2005, 01:19 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Kevin Gibson, some dork from Toronto's AM 640 radio, writes:
Quote:
Daily trade rumour. Edmonton looking at Martin Biron and Marc Andre Fleury. In the old NHL, no way either would be considered to be traded. However with both goalies not playing, you can't have more than $500-$600,000 doing nothing, these guys aren't government workers.
Some dork from Toronto

Not that I think the Oilers would have the kind of stuff Pittsburgh would want. Just mentioning it because this Fleury rumor seems to have spiralled out of control.

Old
11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Gotta love rumors.

One completely unreliable source says a team is interested in a goalie from a team and guesses it's Fleury...and now half the league is in the running for Fleury.

Old
11-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Kevin Gibson, some dork from Toronto's AM 640 radio, writes:

Some dork from Toronto

Not that I think the Oilers would have the kind of stuff Pittsburgh would want. Just mentioning it because this Fleury rumor seems to have spiralled out of control.
I saw this yesterday. My question is: how exactly is MAF $500-600K sitting around doing nothing?

Old
11-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Takeo

It's fun watching these "rumours" spread and mutate like dirty gossip.

But is Jackman + 2nd for Fleury (or something similar) completely unrealistic?

Old
11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
The Plagers

Nothing from Eklund today,eh?

Old
11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
It's fun watching these "rumours" spread and mutate like dirty gossip.

But is Jackman + 2nd for Fleury (or something similar) completely unrealistic?
I don't think the return is enough, but it does not matter, it just does not make sense.

Malkin is not playing this year and we don't know what he'll do in the NHL, why not dump him for some immediate help?

Closed Thread