HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to expect 2003......

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Top Corner

vCash: 500
What to expect 2003......

I know it's early but lets look at some things.

- The Powerplay is pretty stationary when setting up making it easy to defend. This has been basically the same for alot of years, no defenders
moving along the line to get to the middle more causing the box to breakdown.

- Weimer has not really fit into this team and I said I preferred Asham
last year to take his minutes. Only problem is there are no takers for close to what Milbury paid.

- I think Yashins line mates are looking for him too much. I'd wish they play their game and if he's open and has a better chance give it to him otherwise do what the situation calls for.

- They need to design plays when Dipietro is in net. There seems to be a little confusion when he's in net.

I don't see enough scoring in this line up, the power play will perform below average which will be costly for a low scoring team.

They need to move Weimer and open up a spot for someone with offensive skills within or outside the organization.He serves no real purpose as we have Asham/Scatchard who are similar.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:54 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad

- The Powerplay is pretty stationary when setting up making it easy to defend. This has been basically the same for alot of years, no defenders
moving along the line to get to the middle more causing the box to breakdown.

last year to take his minutes. Only problem is there are no takers for close to what Milbury paid.

- I think Yashins line mates are looking for him too much. I'd wish they play their game and if he's open and has a better chance give it to him otherwise do what the situation calls for.

- They need to design plays when Dipietro is in net. There seems to be a little confusion when he's in net.

I don't see enough scoring in this line up, the power play will perform below average which will be costly for a low scoring team.

They need to move Weimer and open up a spot for someone with offensive skills within or outside the organization.He serves no real purpose as we have Asham/Scatchard who are similar.
You could well be right about the powerplay.

As for results the Isles scored as much last year on the powerplay as they did the year before. Last year they had 21 extra powerplays than 2001-02 and the exact same number of goals both seasons.

Yashin three year powerplay point totals are almost exactly the same and most of the forwards last season had the same or better production than 2001. Bottom line, avgerage NHL powerplay, enough to make the playoffs? Don't know.

I saw some things in Buffalo where they did work down low for a shot and had some excellent passes and high percentage chances even before Parrish's goal. Last night Yashin was in the same spot he was last season but instead of the low percentage shot and an easy save, he did a nice give and go and went straight to the net and almost got the return pass and scored. We'll see but you could be right in the end.

I guess they keep using Wiemer, but he would be the healthy scratch I would include to get Bergenheim and Papineau some time on left wing. They need the speed and scoring and Asham provides a lot of grit and so do others. I do not see another team interested in Wiemer's contract at this time of year. But if I had to pick someone to move he would be my first choice.

In Atlanta it seemed all three forwards (Yashin, Czerkawski, Kvasha) all were looking for the extra pass as opposed to shooting, but Kvasha and Czerkawski had some excellent passing plays in Buffalo.

I'm not sure they are confused when DiPietro is in goal
with set plays. Snow is a stick-handling goalie also, but is not going to clear the puck from end to end.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:14 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad

just before the March trade deadline,Garroich reported the Sens had offered unsigned 1st rounder Tim Gleason for Weimer and were rebuffed.

If Milbury wants to move Weimer for a prospect,I'd think he'd find a taker.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Here's my analysis after 185 minutes of hockey:

The team is fine.

It's too early to make any judgements and certainly premature to start moving players.

Old
10-15-2003, 10:28 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Here's my analysis after 185 minutes of hockey:

It's too early to make any judgements and certainly premature to start moving players.
Your absolutely right. It's too early to make judgements on anything regardling the 2003-04 team. It will take most if not all of the season and maybe even after that questions will remain as to what kind of year the team had in different aspects of the game.

But they do have a unique situtation for this organization that has to be addressed daily even after only three games because this team is carrying two extra forwards and they cannot go to the AHL without clearing waivers. It will work itself out in the end but for now there are interesting decisions to be made with regard to a nightly lineup.

Does this mean anyone should be traded in October? No.
Long-term? Maybe.

Closed Thread