HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers send Jessiman to Charlotte

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2005, 04:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers send Jessiman to Charlotte

Quote:
Jessiman yesterday was assigned to the team's Charlotte affiliate of the ECHL.

"It's obviously a big bump in the road for me, but I have to accept this as just another challenge to overcome," an obviously downcast Jessiman told The Post by phone after having been informed of the decision by Hartford GM-coach Jim Schoenfeld.

"Hopefully it's going to be a good situation for me where I can get some confidence back in my game and have some fun playing.

"I don't doubt my ability. I just need to play more"
http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/30554.htm

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 11-02-2005 at 05:34 AM. Reason: quoting too much of original -- a few lines only
Old
11-02-2005, 05:31 AM
BLACKBURN

I dont like this move one bit. If there isnt enough ice time for a guy who is supposedly such a big part of this organizations future then we have a serious problem. Why not stop scratching him, give him top line minutes and force points out of him and give him a little confidence. I would have rather seen him in Dartmouth then in the ECHL.

This move sucks

Old
11-02-2005, 07:38 AM
free0717

I agree. Hugh Should be given first line minutes no matter how it affects the won lost record. He needed these minutes at a high level. Don Maloney said that the first reason for the farm team is to develop players. Not to Win games at an AHL level.

Old
11-02-2005, 07:46 AM
SML

You cant have it both ways guys. Giving Jessiman first line minutes regardless of the impact on the win/loss record is a bad precedent to set in the minds of your young guys in hartford. If it were years past, where it were the choice between Jessiman and some mid to late 20's career Ahl'er like Gernander, then yes. But there is no way a coach can look at a guy who doesn't deserve it and give him the shot over someone who does. I personally believe Jessiman is spoiled and used to getting his way, and I for one am glad this crap isn't going to fly around here anymore. Jessiman has a great opportunity in front of him, I wonder if he truly realizes that. Let him kick around on the Minor-Minor league circuit for a bit, maybe that will inspire him to get his head out of his butt and start taking things seriously.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:00 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Read the article this morning.

Seems to me, he's not played much in Hartford because he's just not ready.

At least Hugh is saying all the right things.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:08 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I dont like this move one bit. If there isnt enough ice time for a guy who is supposedly such a big part of this organizations future then we have a serious problem. Why not stop scratching him, give him top line minutes and force points out of him and give him a little confidence. I would have rather seen him in Dartmouth then in the ECHL.

This move sucks
The guy is not ready to play at the AHL level. He has done nothing with the minutes that he has recieved. He can be downcast all he wants, but if he wants to be successful, then he needs to lift up his game. He has not done so from the minute he was drafted.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:10 AM
in the hall

i have no problem with this

Old
11-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Fletch

This move doesn't suck..

reality sucks. And this is reality. He wasn't playing well and his ice time decreased as a result (this sounds an awful lot like what McGill was doing in Hartford). The kid took the demotion in stride and sounds like he will work hard to do his best - all we can do is hope that his best is good enough. After missing almost an entire season last year, perhaps it would've been best to go back to school for one more season.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Davisian

Yup.. Really not a big deal.

We all knew he was a project when drafted, and that others in the draft class would make the show before him.

I'll be surprised if he's still in Charlotte in January, but either way, he needs some time.

Not like another guy who's already been doing well in a pro league for two years and has earned ice time in New York. coughpruchacough..

Old
11-02-2005, 08:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
reality sucks. And this is reality. He wasn't playing well and his ice time decreased as a result (this sounds an awful lot like what McGill was doing in Hartford).
I wonder if there will be cries that Schony is hindering our prospects growth.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

From what I've heard from the kid, the attitude is there...meaning he's not a coaches problem. He's not a dog like Brendl was. He's willing to work. I'm still not at the panic stage. Teams are still interested in the kid, and the Rangers still have high hopes for him. We are not in a position where the latest jewel has to be trotted out to appease the fans about rebuilding.

Old
11-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Fletch

I heard the same, jas...

I guess we read the same papers...but it seems as though he has the speed, work ethic and desire, but the game's a bit too fast for him now, and they're saying part of that is the season he had off. I guess we'll need to wait a while on this one.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Why not stop scratching him, give him top line minutes and force points out of him and give him a little confidence.
This move sucks
This is exactly how to kill a guy's confidence. Throwing him into the fire, albeit the AHL fire when he is clearly not ready would be a drastic mistake. Now hopefully Jessiman can go down to the ECHL and dominate (the league is really not good at all, if his woes continue there I will be worried), regain his confidence and then come back and take the next step.

Dont bust Hugh, please!!!!

Old
11-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:

This move sucks
How do you think that would make a guy like Nigel Dawes feel if Jessiman got more minutes than him even if he's playing like poo?

Old
11-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
That's why I'm not worried at all.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:00 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
i have no problem with this

Neither do I.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Read the article this morning.

Seems to me, he's not played much in Hartford because he's just not ready.

And so is Jim Schoenfeld. I like the way they're explaining this, and I like the fact that they think Jessiman is mature enough to read their quotes and not take it the wrong way. If he makes it to the NHL, this guy seems to have the right attitude.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The guy is not ready to play at the AHL level. He has done nothing with the minutes that he has recieved. He can be downcast all he wants, but if he wants to be successful, then he needs to lift up his game. He has not done so from the minute he was drafted.
So playing in the ECHL which is comparible speed and talent wise to college hockey will help him adjust to the AHL, oh ok I'm sorry for giving such a rediculous opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Farva
How do you think that would make a guy like Nigel Dawes feel if Jessiman got more minutes than him even if he's playing like poo?
I dont care how a guy who had adjusted well feels about a teamate who's struggling and not getting minutes on the top two lines. In my opinion your farm team should be a place where you develope prospects, by sending Hugh down to Charlotte where the Rangers dont have coaches or as much input as Hartford seems a little strange.

No matter what others feel, I dont think demoting a guy to the ECHL will help him play at higher levels. If its a numbers game lose some of the other numbers that dont have such a "future" with this team. Charlottes fine for conditioning stints but is not going to help in a players development.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
You cant have it both ways guys. Giving Jessiman first line minutes regardless of the impact on the win/loss record is a bad precedent to set in the minds of your young guys in hartford. If it were years past, where it were the choice between Jessiman and some mid to late 20's career Ahl'er like Gernander, then yes. But there is no way a coach can look at a guy who doesn't deserve it and give him the shot over someone who does. I personally believe Jessiman is spoiled and used to getting his way, and I for one am glad this crap isn't going to fly around here anymore. Jessiman has a great opportunity in front of him, I wonder if he truly realizes that. Let him kick around on the Minor-Minor league circuit for a bit, maybe that will inspire him to get his head out of his butt and start taking things seriously.
I agree with most of this except the part of Jessiman getting his head out of his butt. I don't think he's a slacker just NOT ready for the AHL, contrary to many who said we HAD to sign him and put him in the AHL. He needed another year in college IMO. As the article states, the injury last year set him back and it will take time for him to get his game back. There is nothing wrong with this move. We wILL see him in 2-3 years with the Rangers.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
True Blue

Quote:
So playing in the ECHL which is comparible speed and talent wise to college hockey will help him adjust to the AHL, oh ok I'm sorry for giving such a rediculous opinion.
This goes back to maybe he just should not have left college yet? Look, I desperately want Hugh to succeed and become a top-6 forward for us. However, it's just not happening for him in Hartford. He is clearly a step behind everyone else. And he is not showing signs that he is improving or catching on. Maybe some college-level competition will be good for him and give him confidence right now. What is the purpose of keeping a player at a level that he is clearly not ready for?

Old
11-02-2005, 11:41 AM
SML

I may be off base with his head up his butt comment. But what's it going to take? I don't think this is a bad move at all and I couldn't care less if he skates in the local friday night midnight league as long as he sorts it all out and figures out what he needs to do to be a pro. It seems like the guy should be doing something, more practice, reviewing tapes, etc. to get on the right track. It could be a numbers game, where he can't be used in the right role right now. Maybe the rougher ECHL will bring out the best in him. I don't watch too many ECHL games, but I know the talent pool isn't too deep so it should be a good place for him to work on his skills. I do know that there will be a bullseye on his back, because there are alot of no talent thugs down there who would love to get a shot to make their bones on a first round pick, and at his size, he's going to have to answer the bell whenever it rings.

Old
11-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Edge

I agree with the move.

Keeping Jessiman up when he is being out gunned is not going to get him any confidence.

Throwing him on the front line or throwing him minutes just because of WHERE he was drafted isn't going to help anyone.

The pack's first priority isn't winning, but part of developing is creating a winning, confident environment as well.

Jessiman is being sent down not because of numbers but because he has work to do.

The ECHL IMO is still a step up from College because of the age, experience and schedule involved.

My personal thoughts on Jessiman's future aside, there was little point in throwing him out there to get his game handed to him. This at least gives him a chance to work on some things and hopefully, improve.

We now have our top two picks from 02 and 03 playing in the ECHL....

Old
11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Fletch

Blackburn...

unfortunately they cannot make up for the possible mistake of mis-judging where he was at - which may've led them to suggest that he could stay in college. What the ECHL will do - and no, it's not much better than the NCAA, but - it enables Jessiman to take a step back and get his game back and possibly finish-out the last 1/2 of the season with the 'Pack. Hopefully that's the case and he can get into 60-70 games which is a positive since it helps him better prepare for the next level and little better than the 40 or so games he'd play in college. Conditioning's a *****.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 11-02-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Edge

Personally I think the ECHL is still a step up from college. It's hockey's equivalent of A-Ball.

Having said that I'm not really sure if Jessiman made the jump this year or next,if it'd have made a difference.

Old
11-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
There is just something about this year and this crew that gives me confidence that they are doing things for the right reasons. The easy play that really no one would have complained about would have been to leave Jessiman in Hartford playing on the third line, even if he's a step behind and losing confidence. Instead they make a move that is designed to get him more ice-time and to put him in a situation where he is likely to have success. If this was 3 years ago, I probably would have hated the move because I wouldn't have trusted the organization to be doing it for the right reasons.

I just hope Charlotte has a ton of protection for the guy, because the guy up above was right that the ECHL has some goons who'd like nothing better than to take a shot at a guy who's had more of a chance than they've had. He'll have to answer the bell, but I hope it's just one or two times instead of every night.

Closed Thread