HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Surprise! Crosby Wins Rookie of the Month!

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Khelvan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I don't disagree. I was merely saying, for rookie of the month, that he wasn't a "wrong" choice. I am willing to give him a chance to live up to his hype this season. He wouldn't be the first player to be hyped like this, and just because he has been does not mean he won't deserve the Calder. The hype doesn't invalidate his talent, though I do understand why some people could be getting quite annoyed with it. It seems that for some, because of the over-hype, he'll never be able to play well enough to be "better" than (insert random other rookie here).

Frankly, I think it would be great for the NHL if he does play well enough to win the award. If he doesn't, I would be disappointed for more than one reason.

Old
11-03-2005, 07:31 AM
TXNYR

Butthead wins again...

Why does Crosby annoy the **** out of me?

Old
11-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNYR
Butthead wins again...
LOL! Thought I was the only one who was reminded of good ole' butthead.

Old
11-03-2005, 08:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNYR
Butthead wins again...

Why does Crosby annoy the **** out of me?
Because he's not a Ranger.

11-03-2005, 08:26 AM
TXNYR

Quote:
Nay. Ovechkin isn't either but he doesn't have the same effect on me.

It must be all of the hype. Makes me want to root against him. I really hate the Pens too. That probably doesn't help either.

Old
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Must be some cockroach!

My faves:

So, who does your taxes?

Thats a big twinkie

That's your plan? Charge?

What about the twinkie?

Ray, if someone asks you if you are a god, you say YES!

Old
11-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Fletch

That's not fair, Atlanta...

the rookie of the month is an individual award, not a team award. As such, it should be open to all players, not just players on teams that are winning (since you say that if you took Crosby and AO off their teams, they couldn't be any worse, and if you took Lundqvist off his teams, they would be losing). Maybe the analysis you're looking for is place another player in Crosby's spot and does he produce the same.

In the end, I think what this all comes down to is that it is Crosby's award to lose from the beginning of the season, which is what posters are really upset about, taking away a lot of objectivity. The guy's arrival has been anticipated for several years now - I think I remember first reading about him when he was 14, and I'm sure those up in Canada and in tighter hockey circles were speaking of him before that. It's natural to be a bit biased. It's only an award - maybe Lundqvist will lead the Rangers to its first playoffs since 1997 - I'm sure that will be more rewarding to Henke and the fans.

Old
11-03-2005, 09:25 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert
I'm going to C/P what I already said in this thread every time someone makes this statement, until someone finally reads the ****ing thing and decides to look at how his linemates are playing instead of who his linemates are.
"

I don't care what his linemates are doing and I read your message and wasn't impressed. Even if they are not scoring they are PROVEN NHL talent that defenders are aware of and drawn to. It's like batting third in the Yankee lineup with slumping Rodriquez and Sheffield coming up behind you. Who's the pitcher/defense going to worry about? a hyped rookie or PROVEN players.

Don't you think having a guy line Jagr on a line creates room for the other players on his line?

AO is the THREAT on his line and is being keyed on by the defenders and he's still scoring.

Old
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I don't care what his linemates are doing and I read your message and wasn't impressed. Even if they are not scoring they are PROVEN NHL talent that defenders are aware of and drawn to. It's like batting third in the Yankee lineup with slumping Rodriquez and Sheffield coming up behind you. Who's the pitcher/defense going to worry about? a hyped rookie or PROVEN players.

Don't you think having a guy line Jagr on a line creates room for the other players on his line?

AO is the THREAT on his line and is being keyed on by the defenders and he's still scoring.
AO is the threat on HIS TEAM and he keeps scoring, keeps hitting, keeps backchecking, keeps skating like no tomorrow..Been totally amazing with little or no help......Whatever the outcome of the award, him and Crosby will be joining great young players like Spezza, Staall and others in a heck of a competion in the upcoming years..

Old
11-03-2005, 02:55 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Holy ****! Ding Ding Ding DING!

I've been patiently waiting. Thank you Singin', thank you!

Old
11-03-2005, 03:00 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99

I know you're American, and I'll cut you some slack because of it, but never, ever, compare baseball to hockey. Ugh. Chills to my spine!

Ovechkin isn't the only one who is a threat on his line, the same can be said for Sid the Kid too. He's also the guy responsible for 3/4 of the PP's that Pittsburgh receives because he doesn't go down, and he's damn near impossible to knock off the puck in the corner or when he's driving wide. Each game he plays the announcers have a "penalties drawn" tally, and it's usually at 5 or 6. Those are the kind of non-statistical contributions that make judging stats or linemates so folly.

Old
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
So an HF poll settles the argument? That's all you need to say?

Homerism:

"Though no reason to get overworked about this, we know our player was incredible and if the NHL doesn't want to notice ..then its fine with me. "

You forgot the tears man.

And, if it's not homerism it's the Anti-Crosby movement.

It all boils down to the discussion I was involved in yesterday in regards to Prucha. When a player becomes a sentimental favourite, fans naturally tend to glorify his successes and marginalize his errors. When they dislike a player, for whatever reason, the opposite occurs: they marginalize his successes and amplify his failures.

It's absolutely ridiculous. You're watching the game, but you're not seeing a thing.

Not sure if you know your in a RANGERS board. I'm not allowed to talk high about a player on the Rangers? Was Lundqvist not incredible this month? Did he not win Defensive player of the week? Does he not have top 2 best stats in the league?

It's absolutely ridiculous that you watch a goalie steal wins for us but your not seeing a thing but the crosby hype. BTW you in charge of the Crosby fan club?

Closed Thread