HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I don't care if we already beat Ottawa once...

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2005, 09:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I don't care if we already beat Ottawa once...

they put up a 10 spot tonight. havlat and alfredsson both had 4. 21 goals in 3 games. They looked like the hockey equivilant of the harlem globe trotters in some of the games they have played. We were lucky to catch them after wiping the floor with the maple leafs the night before.

These guys are going to skate circles around Primeau, Hatcher, and Therien.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Sorry GKJ but I'm not on the same page. The Flyers beat them once missing some of their most important pieces and they'll do it again. I'm stoked for the next game but at the same time I hope both teams are well rested and injury free.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Sorry GKJ but I'm not on the same page. The Flyers beat them once missing some of their most important pieces and they'll do it again. I'm stoked for the next game but at the same time I hope both teams are well rested and injury free.

Ottawa played the night before, Hasek played the night before and it's not like we ran the Senators up and down the ice, they were right there with us most of the game.

Watching the game Ottawa even missed a few open nets and Heatley hit a post. Ottawa easily could have potted 15 tonight

Old
11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Ottawa played the night before, Hasek played the night before and it's not like we ran the Senators up and down the ice, they were right there with us most of the game.
Don't you agree that if your starting goaltender has issues playing back to back games, then the team as a whole isn't as strong as some might lead us to believe?

Hasek is supposed to be that teams savior, and if he can't stand up to it then the Sens are going to have another disappointing early round exit. I'm not dismissing the Senators because they are a darn good team and have a boatload of talent. I'm just going to hang on and refrain from feeding the hype machine.

Old
11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Don't you agree that if your starting goaltender has issues playing back to back games, then the team as a whole isn't as strong as some might lead us to believe?

Hasek is supposed to be that teams savior, and if he can't stand up to it then the Sens are going to have another disappointing early round exit. I'm not dismissing the Senators because they are a darn good team and have a boatload of talent. I'm just going to hang on and refrain from feeding the hype machine.

Hasek is still only giving up 2 goals a game

Old
11-02-2005, 10:02 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Philly didn't play the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line

With that being said, most teams dont play as well going back2back, Ottawa included. I definitely gave props to Philly for beating us in the game day thread as they played a solid game and no doubt, he who wins the game deserves to win 99% of the time.

As far as Hasek being the saviour, he was never suppose to be the saviour, its been said all along, as well as Hasek plays a SOLID game and is a goalie you can trust, then thats the key to success. With this team we have, Hasek doesn't have to be the Hasek on the Sabres, where its him or bust, he just has to be solid, thats all.

Playoffs are a whole other story, and anyone can beat anyone, but I sure do like Ottawa's chances this year.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

You underrate your own team here.

Anyway, I'm in agreeance to a degree. Though I think we'll justifiably be the favorite against you guys whenever we play, Philadelphia has a great hockey club and can beat anyone. Ottawa included. Even the loly Pens and Blues can win over us on the right night.

That last game was a special teams affair (thus really I don't see your checking line loss as that huge for that particular game, despite what some Flyers fans are saying. We missed Havlat who is the key to our 2nd PP unit. Johnsson was a huge blow however). You guys won it fairly and that was the end of it. Congrats. But if a 5 on 5 game ever got some flow to it I wouldn't fancy your odds with a slow D that you have. It was also our worst outing of the year. And we still were only two goals out of it, hitting two posts at the end, playing our second game in two nights. And I think a couple or more of your goals were deflections. Full marks for getting bodies in front, but they could have just as easily bounced away from the goal.

We shall see how things play out between these two teams. The next meeting will no doubt be a thrill to watch and I can't wait to watch it.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Gert B Frobe

Ottawa is the best team in hockey and would absolutely kill the Flyers in the playoffs.

I just wanted to see how stupid that looked all typed out. Yep, it looks stupid.

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 11-02-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old
11-02-2005, 10:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't think the Flyers would get smoked by Ottawa, they're in a different class than Buffalo. One thing is for sure, we better be healthy and we better not have inconsistent goaltending. 7 goals might not be enough to beat this team on a lot of nights.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:24 PM
o-dog

Quote:
Primeau and Kapanen may have been missing but Havlat was out for Ottawa - a critical piece of the lineup.

One game is not going to determine anything, hockey is too fickle for that. It will still be a tremendous matchup whenever these teams meet throughout the year and I will be looking forward to it. As nice as it is to win 8-0 or 10-4, those games are bloody boring...I would almost rather lose and see a good game than have to watch that

Old
11-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Ottowa is the best team in hockey and would absolutely kill the Flyers in the playoffs.

I just wanted to see how stupid that looked all typed out. Yep, it looks stupid.
Only because you mispelt Ottawa.

In all seriousness, Philadelphia, like Ottawa and Tampa Bay, is an elite team. Ottawa's playing the best right now, and may have the best team overall, but they're still in the same class. It's not men and boys, so no need to make it seem that way.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:40 PM
o-dog

Quote:
I don't think the Flyers would get smoked by Ottawa, they're in a different class than Buffalo. One thing is for sure, we better be healthy and we better not have inconsistent goaltending. 7 goals might not be enough to beat this team on a lot of nights.
That's a little much - the last 2 blowouts have come at the expense of some brutal defense by the opposition. The Sens have looked good but they can be shut down to a certain degree - outside of the big 4 (Heatley, Spezza, Alfie and Havlat), they've had very little scoring. There have been some moments of brilliance but there's usually a bonehead play behind every great one (ie. Spezza's overplayed OT winner - Zednik was close enough to kiss him and was obviously mesmerized by all the dangling).

I doubt Ottawa could rack up 8 on the Flyers and the key to both teams will be team defense - which Ottawa has an edge over Philly.

GKJ, do you watch like, every friggin' game in the NHL?!!

Old
11-02-2005, 10:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-dog
GKJ, do you watch like, every friggin' game in the NHL?!!

Almost.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:54 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-dog
outside of the big 4 (Heatley, Spezza, Alfie and Havlat), they've had very little scoring.
Umm.

Neil has 5.

That's 5 players with 5 + goals.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Other than Detroit maybe - nobody seems to have this new game figured out as well as the Sens. I think the other elite teams will be up to speed come playoff time though.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:01 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Umm.

Neil has 5.

That's 5 players with 5 + goals.

Philadelphia has 2.
Look at the number of goals scored by this team. We are second only to Colorado in terms of Goals scored per game (we have 4.46, Ottawa is 5th with 4.2 GPG). Both teams are offensive power houses. Where the Flyers are weak is goals allowed, whether you blame Hatcher or Esche. You really cant criticize the Flyers for not scoring though.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:14 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Look at the number of goals scored by this team. We are second only to Colorado in terms of Goals scored per game (we have 4.46, Ottawa is 5th with 4.2 GPG). Both teams are offensive power houses. Where the Flyers are weak is goals allowed, whether you blame Hatcher or Esche. You really cant criticize the Flyers for not scoring though.
Actually, Ottawa is up to 4.72 GPG.

Anyway, criticizing Ottawa's depth at scoring is a bit absurd I think. That was the point I was trying to make.

Just because a couple of guys are doing well doesn't mean the rest of the team is terrible.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Brad*

The Flyers beat Ottawa, in their building, without their best defenseman and shutdown forward, and yet you're still complaining. Perhaps it's because the Sabres and Maple Leafs aren't that good defensively, and the can Flyers can compete with Sens? Or maybe, you should go become a Senators fan if you are this willing to give up on the Flyers in favor of Ottawa, even though the Flyers have already won against them.

Scoring 10 goals on the Sabres means nothing. Who cares? Do they get two wins for it? Of course not. The Sens are an excellent team, maybe the best in hockey, but have two blowout wins does absolutely nothing except pad stats. It doesn't give them the Cup now.

Last edited by Brad*: 11-03-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old
11-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Brad*

Wow, unreal. I just read your thread in the NHL talk forum. This is funny stuff. You make more excuses for the Senators in ONE thread then you've made for the Flyers all year.

"seriously...no one can stop this team from scoring....

no one"

TEH ZOMG TEH SENATORS R N AMAZING WRECIKNG MACHINE WIT HUGE POWER THAT CANNOT BE STOPPED EVAR!!!!1 THEY SCORED TEN GOALS WICH UNLOCKED TEH POWER OF TEH GOAL CRYSTAL IN THE RUINS OF A MYAN TEMPLE, NOW THIS POWER WILL BE UNLEASHED AND DESTROY ALL OF MANKIND!!! OH NOES!!

Seriously, stop the masquerade The Sens forum is << that way.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:33 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
TEH ZOMG TEH SENATORS R N AMAZING WRECIKNG MACHINE WIT HUGE POWER THAT CANNOT BE STOPPED EVAR!!!!1 THEY SCORED TEN GOALS WICH UNLOCKED TEH POWER OF TEH GOAL CRYSTAL IN THE RUINS OF A MYAN TEMPLE, NOW THIS POWER WILL BE UNLEASHED AND DESTROY ALL OF MANKIND!!! OH NOES!!
Umm, get with the program.

It's an AZTEC temple.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Umm, get with the program.

It's an AZTEC temple.
Oh, my bad. I'm going to sacrifice my wife and my unborn child to the God Chris Neil so he doesn't destroy me for that mistake.

I mean honestly, he could just walk into my house right now. The door wouldn't even stop him, and neither would guns.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:41 PM
burgess1978

It was a good win by the Flyers against Ottawa. We can make all the excuses we want. The fact is we took too many penalties and the Flyers PP did the job.

Philly are finding some form after a slow-ish start (defensively). Esche looks like he's adjusted finally.

The next time the Flyers and Sens play it will be great to watch. They will (hopefully) both be at full strength.

Old
11-02-2005, 11:56 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The Flyers beat Ottawa, in their building, without their best defenseman and shutdown forward, and yet you're still complaining. Perhaps it's because the Sabres and Maple Leafs aren't that good defensively, and the can Flyers can compete with Sens? Or maybe, you should go become a Senators fan if you are this willing to give up on the Flyers in favor of Ottawa, even though the Flyers have already won against them.

Scoring 10 goals on the Sabres means nothing. Who cares? Do they get two wins for it? Of course not. The Sens are an excellent team, maybe the best in hockey, but have two blowout wins does absolutely nothing except pad stats.
well said...

I love how we just beat this team without a couple of our better players but they are so much better then us...

bunch of drama queens drinking the Sens koolaid.

Old
11-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Habs13

Quote:

Don't write off Ray Emery... he's stoned the Habs twice this year, three times if you count preseason.

Old
11-03-2005, 12:10 AM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Playing back to back games isn't much of an excuse anymore. These are supposed to be the best athletes in the world. Skating 40 minutes spread over 2 nights for the best of the best isn't that much to ask. If 42 year old Hasek can't handle back to back games then the Sens should've used Emery against the Leafs.

The Flyers were missing Primeau, Johnsson, Kapanen and Stevenson who are 4 big pieces in stopping the Sens. Primeau and Stevenson can contain Spezza and Heatley while Kapanen can contain Alfredsson. We were missing our whole checking line and #1 defensemen and they were missing 1 top 6 foward.

I couldn't have been happier about the conditions we beat Ottawa with.

Closed Thread