HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the very Ugly: Sens game post-mortem

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuin
dunno if you somehow missed it in the other thread but Vanek is supposedly battling the flu for a while now and has been using meds, which may, or may not, explain his energy level on the ice.
It was mentioned in last night's broadcast that he's on medication and since then he's been less than full speed.

11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Actually, if he was making the most of them, he would be using his teammates to create space for himself. He's not. My expectation is that he make that adjustment and get more out of his entire line since at this moment, he's a blackhole with the puck, leaving Kotalik and Connolly with nothing to do but watch and come back on the backcheck.
He was our best player last night IMO. He drew penalties all night long, he set up Danny with a gift for #10 on the season, and he is the target of your criticism?

What do you have to say about Hecht, Dumont and Vanek? Those guys were pathetic. At least Max has passion, what do those guys have? They have NOTHING.

Old
11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Benji Frank

Is Gaustad billed as a scrapper? I noticed in his stats he had quite a few PIM's in the minors, but that looks like his first NHL fight last night...

Will he be counted on more to do that now that he's got his feet wet? He won last night over Mcgratton by what I saw on the big screen, so that should garner some recognition.....

Old
11-03-2005, 12:56 PM
sabregoat

If you don't look at the final score and the awful goaltending, I think the skaters had a good game. I saw a full effort a lot longer then I thought I would. The goaltending was just pitiful. If we had decent goaltending, I think we could of won the game. We did score four goals and a lot of their goals towards the end would not of happened in a tight game.

Old
11-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
It was mentioned in last night's broadcast that he's on medication and since then he's been less than full speed.
Then he shouldn't be playing.

Old
11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
3) Heatley being caught on tape saying "I think we'll get 8 tonight!"
actually he said "he's gonna get 8 tonight" refering specifically to Havlat.

Old
11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
JPurp26

Wowowowo wait up

I had a practice so i left after the score was 5-1

I saw the peters fight but it sounds pretty obvious that Goose stuck up and fought Mcgratton
Did he win?

It looked like peters lost the fight in the beginning which i thought was surprising but if Gaustad drops the gloves [ and it makes it worth while] Peters can be excused.

Old
11-03-2005, 11:20 PM
slip

How about the bad, the ugly, and the fugly? I envy you Chain that you can find a couple of positives in that game. I certainly can't! What a disaster in every sense of the word. The Sabres were simply outclassed in every aspect -- in speed, goaltending, and defensive play. Chara, Phillips and Redden had little trouble overpowering our offensive midgets. Max's selfish stickhandling lead to Ottawa's decisive 6th goal -- although in his defense by then both Biron and Mika were so completely shell-shocked as to be useless between the pipes. And giving up 10 goals at home? Where is the respect for the fans, and for the sanctity of the homeland! If I was Ruff I wouldn't let them forget it. I would tape a boxscore of the game inside everyone's locker, and make the team watch a Martin Havlat highlight reel before every game just to remind the team how much they can suck when they really put their minds to it.

The defense maintained a semblance of competence thanks to the steady play of McKee, the human puck deflector (hey, a positive!). But I need more than two hands to count the number of times Brian Cambpell seemed out of place skating around in an NHL game. Fitzy is giving the Sabres quality minutes as a depth defenseman, yet counting on him for 18-20 minutes a game seems beyond his capability. Kalinin still looks amateurish out there half the time. He hasn't even come close to filling Z's shoes. Tallinder is steady if unspectacular. Lydman's injury woes continue. Numminen reminds me of James Patrick without his passion for the game. It's pretty obvious to me Regier had no set plan in the offseason for dealing with Z's departure. And if his only thought was "lets nab Teppo for 2 million -- problem solved" then we have a dumb GM indeed. The unit he has assembled cannot physically move players off the puck; the can't consistently bring the puck out of their zone to spring the forwards; and they are seldom effective when joining the rush. A less than inspiring unit, playing some of their worse hockey ever. If you wan't to see what's truely ailing the team, look no further than to our pathetic defense.

Old
11-04-2005, 12:20 AM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
I remember reading something a few years back that he was the strongest player (at least measured by bench press) on the team. If he could stickhandle he'd be 75 point guy. Hopefully he'll get more than 50 this year.
Currently, he's on pace for 48-14-62, and with consistent powerplay time, 50 points is far from a stretch.

Old
11-04-2005, 01:41 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Hmm.... ABout Afinogenov...

For all his skill and speed, his hockey-sense in his soft spot.
Not a good soft spot to have.

Closed Thread