Notices

O'Sullivan

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
O'Sullivan

Just wondering if anyone has seen him play with the Aeros and how he's doing. I checked the stats - 5 points in 10 games - but that doesn't really say much. WHat line is he on? How many minutes is he getting? Powerplay use? I've seen him play plenty in junior and am confident he should be able to tear it up in the AHL.

At first glance, I was disappointed when I saw his numbers but there are so many intangibles that I thought I'd come to the experts to find out the scoop. I wonder if his shoulder is 100%...

Old
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
hes not on the first or second line. thats for sure.

Old
11-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10
hes not on the first or second line. thats for sure.
Is this a fact or are you saying that because of his point total?

Old
11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
MePutPuckInNet

vCash: 500
he's playing on the total craphole line of
LW: Peter Olvecky, C:Rem "the tool" Murray, RW: Patrick O'Sullivan.

so...basically, even tho he's a center he's stuck on the wing with guys who are either sooooo far out of position you need binoculars to see them [i.e., Olvecky] and/or have passing "skills" similar to the Wild's passing [which, if you haven't noticed...completely sucks]. Rem Murray, an "nhl veteran ", is completely brutal. Not only is he horribly slow, he lacks any sense of hockey vision whatsoever.

To say the line isn't "gelling" would be an understatement of gigantic proportion.

...and ps - Sully's not getting much power play time at all...not a whole hell of a lot of ice time at all, for that matter.

I have a feeling O'Sullivan may never get out of Houston.

Last edited by MePutPuckInNet: 11-03-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old
11-04-2005, 06:48 AM
ceber

Well, if you want to bright-side it, it should be a good challenge for a guy who's used to being "the guy" for a team. I see he got an assist last night, so he's still managing points. And Murray does have 500-ish NHL games, right? So there could be some good to come from that. Ok, now I'm really reaching.

Old
11-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
I hope that is unfounded and just a gut feeling, because everyone had pretty high hopes for this kid. It would suck to see a guy with his potential get stuck in the minors.

You got me scared now, PuckInNet.

Old
11-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
He'll have to get out of Houston based on work ethic and his ability to play a two way game, just like everybody else. Given his skills, he should seperate himself from the also rans if he has the proper attitude. A year in the minors never hurt anybody.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
he's playing on the total craphole line of
LW: Peter Olvecky, C:Rem "the tool" Murray, RW: Patrick O'Sullivan.

so...basically, even tho he's a center he's stuck on the wing with guys who are either sooooo far out of position you need binoculars to see them [i.e., Olvecky] and/or have passing "skills" similar to the Wild's passing [which, if you haven't noticed...completely sucks]. Rem Murray, an "nhl veteran ", is completely brutal. Not only is he horribly slow, he lacks any sense of hockey vision whatsoever.

To say the line isn't "gelling" would be an understatement of gigantic proportion.

...and ps - Sully's not getting much power play time at all...not a whole hell of a lot of ice time at all, for that matter.

Perhaps someone can answer this for me. I always wondered why the Wild drafted O'Sullivan, his style of play will never fit in their System and it seems to me that they just wasted a draft pick on him. Besides, if the Wild are so depleted at Center, why hasn't he been called up as of yet?

Old
11-06-2005, 04:38 PM
TeamSeals

he probably wont be a center in the wild system since the center position is so defensive oriented, also they havent called anyone up yet this year because they have been playing musical chairs on the injured list, someone gets hurt someone gets back. Osullivan will be a good playmaker for us after he gets a little seasoning in the AHL, he will be up before the year ends for sure.

Old
11-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals
he probably wont be a center in the wild system since the center position is so defensive oriented, also they havent called anyone up yet this year because they have been playing musical chairs on the injured list, someone gets hurt someone gets back. Osullivan will be a good playmaker for us after he gets a little seasoning in the AHL, he will be up before the year ends for sure.
Is he still that much of a defensive liability? I thought he'd come a long way in that regard. Check out his four years in the OHL. He went from a -43 in his first year to a +16 in his final year (which, by the way, he played with no scoring support from teammates).

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2001-02 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 68 34 58 92 -43 61
2002-03 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 56 40 41 81 -5 57
2003-04 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 53 43 39 82 6 32
2004-05 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 57 31 59 90 16 63

Old
11-11-2005, 01:07 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite
Perhaps someone can answer this for me. I always wondered why the Wild drafted O'Sullivan, his style of play will never fit in their System and it seems to me that they just wasted a draft pick on him. Besides, if the Wild are so depleted at Center, why hasn't he been called up as of yet?
You could say the same about Marian Gaborik and PM Bouchard. I don't think the team will require O'Sullivan to be a Selke winner, but as long as he isn't a liability he will get ice time and plenty of opportunity to score.

Old
11-11-2005, 03:01 PM
TeamSeals

Im not saying they dont think he cant play any defense but rather they dont want him to have to overextend himself in the defensive zone so he can have more energy to create plays offensively. They moved Rolston to wing because they wanted him to focus primarily on offense and it wasnt until we were ravaged with injuries to our centers that we had to move him back. Basically Osullivan CAN play center but they dont WANT him to so he can be better offensively

Old
11-19-2005, 12:51 PM
TeNeIghtY

15 pts in 19 games for a third liner is not that bad
he's scoring more than a pts/game in his last 6-7 games

Old
11-20-2005, 01:01 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals
Im not saying they dont think he cant play any defense but rather they dont want him to have to overextend himself in the defensive zone so he can have more energy to create plays offensively. They moved Rolston to wing because they wanted him to focus primarily on offense and it wasnt until we were ravaged with injuries to our centers that we had to move him back. Basically Osullivan CAN play center but they dont WANT him to so he can be better offensively
What position is he playing in Houston? Isn't he centering Olvecky and Murray? Or he's playing the wing...

If they are planning on playing him at RW in the NHL, he'd be doing it in the A.

Old
11-20-2005, 01:38 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
I saw O'Sullivan last night when he was up in Winnipeg. He was on a line with Olvecky and Murray playing RW. Had 2 assists in the game but was kind of on and off. Sometimes he just wasn't driving and got knocked off the puck easily. When he turned it on however it was a different story and it lead to his 2 point night. But what happened to his hair! He's got like a crew cut now or something.. That hockey hair he had was bad-***!

Old
12-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Just wondering if anyone has seen him play with the Aeros and how he's doing. I checked the stats - 5 points in 10 games - but that doesn't really say much. WHat line is he on? How many minutes is he getting? Powerplay use? I've seen him play plenty in junior and am confident he should be able to tear it up in the AHL.

At first glance, I was disappointed when I saw his numbers but there are so many intangibles that I thought I'd come to the experts to find out the scoop. I wonder if his shoulder is 100%...
Well, since I last posted this, O'Sullivan appears to have found himself. He started with 5 points in 10 games. Since then, he's had 14 points in 13 games for a total of 19 points in 23 games and is a +5. Not too shabby.

Glad to see he is starting to show his stuff. The kid's gonna be a stud.

Old
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
TeNeIghtY

3 goals for patty yesterday

Old
12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
O'Sullivan and Voloschenko are both not only amont the top 5 in Rookie scoring, but they are also pretty near top 20 league-wide. Along with Pouliot, we got us some reserves at LAST!

Old
12-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

So if the Wild are so depleted at Center why aren't they calling up O'Sullivan?

Old
12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Depleted?

Koivu, Robitaille, White, Walz...bouchard in a pinch...

Old
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM
TeamSeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Depleted?

Koivu, Robitaille, White, Walz...bouchard in a pinch...
Chouinard is also a center, I think Robitaille is a wing for now.

Also we have Westrum in the A tearing it up statistically as well. I want to see O'Sullivan and Voloshenko play on the same line so they can get some chemistry and if they really click they could be paired together for the Wild in the future

Old
12-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
So if the Wild are so depleted at Center why aren't they calling up O'Sullivan?
As was said before, we have plenty of centers. But we don't really have a true number one center.

Old
12-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
As was said before, we have plenty of centers. But we don't really have a true number one center.

So the Wild are no longer injury plagued at center?

Old
12-03-2005, 05:17 PM
ceber

Quote:
So the Wild are no longer injury plagued at center?
We've got nobody injured.

Old
12-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Is he still that much of a defensive liability? I thought he'd come a long way in that regard. Check out his four years in the OHL. He went from a -43 in his first year to a +16 in his final year (which, by the way, he played with no scoring support from teammates).

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2001-02 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 68 34 58 92 -43 61
2002-03 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 56 40 41 81 -5 57
2003-04 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 53 43 39 82 6 32
2004-05 Regular Season Mississauga IceDogs 57 31 59 90 16 63
Mississauga, near the turn of the millenium, had (short of London a few years back) the worst OHL teams I've ever seen.

Closed Thread