HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reflex Goalie Advice

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
RedLightDistrict

vCash: 500
Reflex Goalie Advice

While many websites from goalie equpment manufacturers provide advice and training regimens for goalies, (i.e. Vaughn), i have not come across one that focuses on a goalie whose style is similar to a reflex/standup goalie such as dominik hasek, mike richter or archie irbe. Now i'm in no way comparing myself to these goalies, although i do play a style that is more based on getting the tip of something, whether it be a stick knob or my skate, which is when i play at my highest level and thrive. is there any advice in regards to training methods, or a diet that would be appropriate for a goalie in my position? or am i going to be converted to a butterfly style?

Old
10-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

A lot of off ice training is the same for butterfly or reflex goalies.

Old
10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

I'm a standup-type goalie, so maybe these pointers from my website will help:

http://hockeygoalies.org/advice/rule1.html

#1 and #5 are particularly applicable to the style Hasek plays.

Old
10-30-2005, 09:54 AM
RedK

Websites - none that I'm aware of. There are some great print resources out there. First, check out Tretiak's book if you can find it. It's old school, but still has some great stuff. Then look at some of the modern goalie works. A lot has a butterfly focus, but you can find some gems for standups. Ian Clark's original series - I think you can still get it through GTI - is great. Jim Corsi's book has some good stuff. Mitch Korn's manual, available through his website, has some nice stuff. Also, check out some of the goalie BBs. You can get questions answered about specific questions and issues from beer league schlubs like me, but also by some of the top goalie coaches in the world.

Old
11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
aerialis

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php

goaltending message board, lots of reviews of both brand names and smaller custom companies, and just a ton of information on everything, be it skating, tracking the puck, or even just different glove positions.

theres alot of very knowledgable people on the board, including eddie belfour's personal goalie coach and kari lehtonen's goalie coach in jokerit.

Last edited by aerialis: 11-04-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Malefic74

The really obvious one if you play that style is to really work on keeping your flexibility. Virtually every reflex goalie the NHL has ever seen wind up retiring because of flexibility injuries (groins, hips or hammys).

The other suggestions are good.

Above all else do not change your style if it works for you. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can borrow elements of those styles to help problem areas of your game, but I am very firmly against goalie coaches and schools who are churning out clones. Fundamentals are the same regardless of style, and each goalies style is as individual as he is.

Old
11-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Hounsy

Positioning, mobility, and rebound control regardless of style are key skills that can be developed. Identify which of those areas you feel you could use the most improvement in and then proceed to a goalie based BB and see if someone more qualified than myself has good advice on how to develop that aspect of your game.

Closed Thread