HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lets make an offer

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Habeas Corpus

vCash: 500
Lets make an offer

Give Havlat 3.5 million a year. Screw the sens, they are totally lowballing him. Do you think muckler will match? I know it doesn't seem like gainey's style but I'm all for it. He would be montreal's best winger. just a thought I'm thoroughly disgusted with tonights effort.

aaaaah!

Old
10-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeas Corpus
Give Havlat 3.5 million a year. Screw the sens, they are totally lowballing him. Do you think muckler will match? I know it doesn't seem like gainey's style but I'm all for it. He would be montreal's best winger. just a thought I'm thoroughly disgusted with tonights effort.

aaaaah!
Isn't he a RFA? I don't think Havlat is worth 5 first round picks, sorry :p

Old
10-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
maybe try for gaborik instead of havlat ??

Old
10-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Habeas Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Démon Blond
Isn't he a RFA? I don't think Havlat is worth 5 first round picks, sorry :p
do they get 5 first round picks if we only offer 3.5 million? Can somebody post the breakdown on that.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Habeas Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
maybe try for gaborik instead of havlat ??
The wild would match any offer to Gaborik.
Gaborik>>>>>Havlat

Old
10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
SuperUnknown

It's move like these that drive the salaries up. The Sens are just playing the negociation game like they're entitled to. They could have offered Havlat just the qualifying offer and they would still be in their right. That's how the CBA was built. Of course, in the past owners didn't use the CBA like they should have, but it's great some teams are starting to put some sense into the NHL.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Lewis63

The sens' offer to havlat was something like 1.3M$ for 1 year and Havlat wanted 1.8M$...How old is he anyways like 23? the 1.3M is double what he made last year (675000) so why doesn't he sign? If he doesn't play this year and next year there's a lock out...then he got screwed big time cause that would be 2 years without pay...just sign!!!

stupid agents...players use them so they can concentrate on hockey but I think they are useless. The agents always put stupid ideas in the players head (like go back to sweden or something like that). They give problems to teams, players, fans and hockey in general. Brodeur is doing fine without one...

Havlat, Fleury, Gaborik, Dupuis have all the same agent...only Fleury got signed because the pens are so desperate

and another thing, goal judges...not the ones upstair but the ones behind the net who have a trigger to turn the lgiht on...best job in the world but the guy is totally useless.

most useless people in the NHL = goal judges + agents

my two cents

Old
10-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Disco Volante

Considering it's the last year of the CBA and that Havlat is young enough to be a part of a reconstructing team, I'd sure wouldn't mind if Gainey was to make a gutsy move like that.

Sure, they'd probably match, but aren't they our "enemies"?

And if they didn't... It would be worth their hatred!

As for the rest, I don't think Gaborik would be a better pick, he'd cost more and I ain't that sure if he's better than Havlat. I don't remember the compensation for a 3.5 million offer, but I think it's less than 5, maybe 3+ or 4.

Anyway, won't happen.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Habs

Quote:

aaaaah!
Why do you believe he is worth Koivu money?

Old
10-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Marksman

Quote:

aaaaah!
Why? His agent is asking less than two million?

Old
10-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
...stupid agents... I think they are useless. The agents always put stupid ideas in the players head (like go back to sweden or something like that).
Correction : that's what bad agents do. Good agents, and there are a few, help their clients a lot by letting them focus on their play while they handle negociations.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:51 AM
Habber

Some info from the CBA:

RFA Compensation
Offer Compensation
$667,433 or below None
$667,433-$917,720 Third-round choice
$917,720-$1,084,579 Second-round choice
$1,084,579-$1,334,867 First-round choice
$1,334,867-$1,668,582 First-and third-round choices
$1,668,582-$2,002,298 First-and second-round choices
$2,002,298-$2,336,015 Two first-round choices
$2,336,015-$2,836,589 Two first-round and one second-round choice
$2,836,589 Three first-round choices
Each additional $1,668,582 One additional first-rounder up to a maximum of five

This is from last year so the dollars will be up a bit. But if we offered Havlat $2mil (which is more than he's asking) it would cost us a 1st and a 2nd rounder.

Might be worth it IMO.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Habs4ever

Not Worth it!!

we'll be getting those sweet top first rounders for atleast few years, and Havlat still hasn't proven he could be star, ya top six for sure but I don't see big time game breaker in him, while we could gamble on those game breaker flor atleasty few years with those first rounders, getting him won't improve our team much, as our core groupe is pretty young and atleast three years away from primetime, and he alone can't put us in Playoff, so forget about him coming to montreal, rebuilding a'int easy learn to have patience if we were to make this kind of bold headed moves then we'll never get to those glory days.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
we'll be getting those sweet top first rounders for atleast few years, and Havlat still hasn't proven he could be star, ya top six for sure but I don't see big time game breaker in him, while we could gamble on those game breaker flor atleasty few years with those first rounders, getting him won't improve our team much, as our core groupe is pretty young and atleast three years away from primetime, and he alone can't put us in Playoff, so forget about him coming to montreal, rebuilding a'int easy learn to have patience if we were to make this kind of bold headed moves then we'll never get to those glory days.
Hes a 22 year old kid who has 151 points in 212 games - and a good two-way player too. Hes would instantly be our second best forward, already better than any of our wingers - and will be force after he fills up little
more.

In my opinion, signing him for about $2M would definitely be worth it, even if there is risk losing the 1st and 2nd picks. But there is no doubt in my mind Senators would match it if it would come to that...

Old
10-10-2003, 08:14 AM
FF de Mars

Sens will match it

We'd have to offer more than 2M for the sens to not match. And they will get us back if we screw them : if we force them to pay Havlat more than they wish.

But if we can manage to get him for 2 1st rounders or less without the sens matching, I'd do it. You know what, screw the CBA. UFAs are ruining the show, not young players like Havlat who do not earn that much anyway.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:01 PM
hosehead

I'm sure if this conversation is serious or hypothetical but I think the one reason that Havlat won't be signed by the Habs or any other team is that the owners are going to stick together when it comes to RFA's.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a behind the scenes agreement between the owners not to make offers to other teams RFAs. Also if teams if are really serious about a salary cap , no one will want to drive up salaries for players like Havlat. If anything they'd probably try to make them lower.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:07 PM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Guys, I'm talking to the logic and the good sense that's more or less sleeping in all of your brains, at least for this thread... Look at our team, for Chrissake! Each one of our picks for the next 4 or 5 years will be worth as much as Havlat because we'll be among the first teams to pick.

Old
10-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Price is the Future

He just sign a 1 year deal with Ott.

i'm presently watching the Can.game on RDS and they said that Havlat just sign a 1 year deal with Ottawa...

Closed Thread