HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Highly recommend new Static-X album

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Ranger Wolf

vCash: 500
OT: Highly recommend new Static-X album

If you like hard rock and/or metal (and I know some of you do) you should pick Shadow Zone up. Quite a progression from their earlier stuff and easily their best effort yet. Wayne Static's vocals have really improved.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Edge

loved the first album didnt love the second, hopefully the third is back in the "love" area.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
loved the first album didnt love the second, hopefully the third is back in the "love" area.
This is better than Wisconsin Death Trip. It has a lot of elements that made WDT so great but the harmonies are so much better. I do agree that Machine was a let down.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I actually liked "Machine". I've heard this new album is a progression for the band though. I'll have to head over to Tower at lunch. Thanks for the reminder Ranger Wolf.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:49 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Yes... It is pretttty damn good. Also, the new Coheed and Cambria album is the best album Led Zep and Sunny Day Real Estate never made together. It is going to be a classic..

Old
10-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Maybe it's just me getting old(29 is not that old), but this stuff has been done to death(no pun) - and almost 12-15 years ago. Rob Zombie(White Zombie) & Al Jourgensen(Ministry) were doing this stuff when I was in high school - and at the time it was a whole new way of music - not like today where everyone's a NIN or Tool ripoff band, when it comes to this genre. Plus the late eighties/early nineties East coast hardcore puts these bands to shame as well.

Anyway, sorry to be taking a P*ss, just adding my two coppers

Old
10-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Maybe it's just me getting old(29 is not that old), but this stuff has been done to death(no pun) - and almost 12-15 years ago. Rob Zombie(White Zombie) & Al Jourgensen(Ministry) were doing this stuff when I was in high school - and at the time it was a whole new way of music - not like today where everyone's a NIN or Tool ripoff band, when it comes to this genre. Plus the late eighties/early nineties East coast hardcore puts these bands to shame as well.

Anyway, sorry to be taking a P*ss, just adding my two coppers
Hey, I hear you. But it is ridiculously difficult to have an original sound these days. I am notoriously picky about the music I like. A band must have some elements that have rarely been done before for me to like it, be it sound, voice, even look. For me, Static-X has that (and you have to admit that Wayne Static has a unique look to him), whereas most bands in this genre do not.

I have some experience in this as well as my little brother is in a punk rock band and he has these same problems. You want to make something that stands out from the myriad copycats out there.

I agree that this sound has been done before, but I don't hear much new material from these founders. Where the hell is Trent Reznor anyway? Oh, and I'm 30 FYI.

Since we are talking music here, I'll leave this plug in this thread. My brother's band will have a 6 song ep out in the next few weeks. If you are into punk rock and have an interest I will have info when it is out.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:56 AM
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf
If you like hard rock and/or metal (and I know some of you do) you should pick Shadow Zone up. Quite a progression from their earlier stuff and easily their best effort yet. Wayne Static's vocals have really improved.

hey ranger wolf, which would you consider to be the best song on the album? im gonna download a little sample from kazaa lite so i can check them out before i pick it up...thanks in advance

Old
10-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Where the hell is Trent Reznor anyway? Oh, and I'm 30 FYI.
Good question, but you can check out Danny Lohner's most recent work on the "Underworld" soundtrack. Well worth a download!

I just listened to "Shadow Zone" and it's defnitely a departure from "WTD" and "Machine". When he's singing, Wayne's voice reminds me of someone elses, I just can't put my finger on who. NYR, download "Control It" to get a taste of the new sound.

Hh, and new Sevendust is out. Lajon cut his hair! So far, not really knocking me over, but I only just popped it in.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Where the hell is Trent Reznor anyway? Oh, and I'm 30 FYI.

He produced the soundtrack to the PC game Doom3 (which looks and sounds amazing), and I'm sure producing other artists work. He seems to thrive on that sort of thing, and he has no obligation to make us new music. He's already proven that he is original & one of the greatest rock [industrial] minds of our time....

Old
10-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Hey, I hear you. But it is ridiculously difficult to have an original sound these days. I am notoriously picky about the music I like. A band must have some elements that have rarely been done before for me to like it, be it sound, voice, even look. For me, Static-X has that (and you have to admit that Wayne Static has a unique look to him), whereas most bands in this genre do not.

I have some experience in this as well as my little brother is in a punk rock band and he has these same problems. You want to make something that stands out from the myriad copycats out there.

I agree that this sound has been done before, but I don't hear much new material from these founders. Where the hell is Trent Reznor anyway? Oh, and I'm 30 FYI.

Since we are talking music here, I'll leave this plug in this thread. My brother's band will have a 6 song ep out in the next few weeks. If you are into punk rock and have an interest I will have info when it is out.
Yeah i'd be interested in hearing your bro's stuff, i'm in a punk/rock band myself. Guitar & vocals. Once my bands done recording, i'll post up a link so U guys can check it out. Our stuff is influenced by lotsa bands but mostly our sound is - Ramones/Misfits/Nirvana/Fugazi

Old
10-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Edge

everyone has ripped someone off somewhere.

my thing with a lot of music today is that its just not done very well.

staind - my god i could take out the lead singer insert myself in the whiniest voice possible, sing about spoiled milk and how much it sucks and get the same result.

godsmack - perhaps one of the most overrated bands of all time. their sound has stolen from everyone from metallica to nin to alice in chains. their music isnt overly good and their lyrics arent much better.

i could go on and on but a lot of todays kids are products of the 1996 decision that allows companies to own more then one station and so all these kids are getting is the music that is thrown at them and like good little sheep they eat it with a spoon.

if you weren't at least a teenager when bands like smashing pumpkins, AIC,nirvana, etc. where in their primes then all your getting is a carbon copy.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Your examples are valid, but you're making a generalized statement based on popular music. There's a signifigant amount of great music being made today. You'll find something you like if you take the time to look and listen. Don't let radio station programmers color your perception of a genre.

Old
10-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Just figured i'd jump in now. I saw one of their newer songs on Headbanger's Ball last week,but I already forgot what that song is called. As for what you all say about numetal,you couldn't be more right,half the bands out today suck,but there are also some good ones like Chevelle and Audioslave to mention. As for what music I like? Somethings by the names of Led Zeppelin,Metallica,Slayer,In Flames,to name a few.

And speaking of bands,I'm also in one,we just have yet to begin jamsessions.

Old
10-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Edge

Not saying all music is bad....just a whole lot of it.

there are some good bands out there, both on the indie scene and mainstream, but i just dont see myself getting into much of it anymore.

i mean to me the late 60's to the mid 70's and early mid 90's offered some great music, whereas now reminds me of the disco era and much of the 80's in the sense that the music just isnt hitting me the same way.

Old
10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Ranger Wolf

Edge: I agree with your statements about those two bands but that doesn't mean they don't know how to make music. Heck, they're much better at it than me. There is a lot of stuff out there that I don't like but if I'm exposed to enough, eventually I'll find something I will like. Hey, you can say the same thing about women, which probably explains why I'm still single.

NYR: Favorite songs on the album are Control It, New Pain, Shadow Zone, The Only, All In Wait and my favorite so far is Invincible, a much different sound for them, almost NINlike.

Pizz: The video was for the song The Only. Seeing this renewed my hope for the band and convinced me to pick the album up.

For those interested, my bro's band has some free songs for download on mp3.com. These are older recordings (1-2 years) and after hearing the new songs, sound pretty amateur in comparison. The production quality is fairly poor on these recordings as well (unlike the new stuff). My bro is lead guitar and vocals and the guy in the center of the photo.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/344/chalkie.html

Old
10-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Pizz: The video was for the song The Only. Seeing this renewed my hope for the band and convinced me to pick the album up.

thanks alot. Hell,i'm still over here listening to Bled for Days-well,right now it's Killswitch Engage,but you get it,right?

Old
10-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
everyone has ripped someone off somewhere.

Thats my point, why waste ur time listening to 2nd rate bands.

There's good music out there, you just have to dig a little deeper to find it nowadays.

Old
10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
There's good music out there, you just have to dig a little deeper to find it nowadays.
Too true.

If interested, here's a list of who I presently consider to be my favorite in this genre. It is not complete and I'm sure there are a lot of other great bands that I have yet to listen to.

Rock/numetal
Audioslave - you can't go wrong with Chris Cornell and Tom Morello
Korn - one of the most original bands I've ever heard, new album due in November
CKY - trying to drop the skater rock label, latest album is an excellent progression
Powerman 5000 - headed by Rob Zombie's little bro, latest album was my favorite album of this year so far
Static-X - newest album might be there most diverse yet
System of a Down - rivals Korn for most original sound, love the middle eastern metal sound
Big Wreck - amazing diversity in sound with vocals similar to Cornell, now defunct with lead Ian Thornley now working with Chad Kroger of Nickelback

Punk
Rancid - great mix of reggae and punk and Tim Armstrong has the best punk vocals
Bad Religion - seminal socio-political punk band still sounds great after 20 years (favorite band of all time)

Old
10-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
If you're looking for something heavy and high-intensity that you haven't heard before, I highly recommend you check out Small Brown Bike. I saw them live a couple of weeks ago and they can be amazing at times (a ****** crowd held them back a bit when I saw them). Their new CD (The River Bed) isn't as aggressive as some of their older stuff, but it's better from an artistic standpoint.

Bluenote and RangerWolf: I'm always interested in hearing some new punk stuff. Even the punk scene as gone to hell lately, with so many newer bands doing the generic whiney pop-punk thing.

Old
10-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Too true.

If interested, here's a list of who I presently consider to be my favorite in this genre. It is not complete and I'm sure there are a lot of other great bands that I have yet to listen to.

Rock/numetal
Audioslave - you can't go wrong with Chris Cornell and Tom Morello
Korn - one of the most original bands I've ever heard, new album due in November
CKY - trying to drop the skater rock label, latest album is an excellent progression
Powerman 5000 - headed by Rob Zombie's little bro, latest album was my favorite album of this year so far
Static-X - newest album might be there most diverse yet
System of a Down - rivals Korn for most original sound, love the middle eastern metal sound
Big Wreck - amazing diversity in sound with vocals similar to Cornell, now defunct with lead Ian Thornley now working with Chad Kroger of Nickelback

Punk
Rancid - great mix of reggae and punk and Tim Armstrong has the best punk vocals
Bad Religion - seminal socio-political punk band still sounds great after 20 years (favorite band of all time)
Great bands mentioned,but I would also like to add Queens of the Stone Age and Hatebreed

Old
10-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Bluenote and RangerWolf: I'm always interested in hearing some new punk stuff. Even the punk scene as gone to hell lately, with so many newer bands doing the generic whiney pop-punk thing.
Yeah like Good Charlotte, Sum41, et al. Typical punk fluff. I haven't heard a whole lot of them but my brother really likes Alkaline Trio and their latest album is pretty good. If you want a list of quality punk bands, my brother is a better critic.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:00 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Too true.
Crap...that absolutely sucks. Kinda expected it to happen though since they weren't getting any airplay. Their second album, the pleasure and the greed, is one of my favorite albums of the past few years. Reminds me of the classic rock genre of Zepplin and the Who. Every song on the album has amazing production quality and seems like an opus.

-I have to pick up the new Static X album soon as well as the new finger eleven. Damn I need money.

-APC's new album is wonderful and I wouldn't expect any different.

-Someone mentioned Killswitch Engage. Damn that's an awesome album.

-Edge: Trust me, there was plenty of cookie cutter "crappy" music during every one of the past 5 decades. There just isn't a good balance right now but these things go in cycles and somebody will come around to give music a kick in the ass it needs.

-In the end though, music is for enjoyment, so the differenciation of crap to good music is just someone's opinion. I can't hold the fact that somebody values music that I don't, against them.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
-Someone mentioned Killswitch Engage. Damn that's an awesome album.
that was me. I only have the song When Darkness Falls downloaded,but I think I should get some more. What songs do you recomend?

Old
10-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Crap...that absolutely sucks. Kinda expected it to happen though since they weren't getting any airplay. Their second album, the pleasure and the greed, is one of my favorite albums of the past few years. Reminds me of the classic rock genre of Zepplin and the Who. Every song on the album has amazing production quality and seems like an opus.
I hear ya. I was shocked and upset when I heard the news. I'm not sure of the cause of the split either. I only found them last year and now they're gone. TPATG is an amazing album from top to bottom, probably had the longest play for me last year. For those of you who haven't heard Big Wreck, you should check out their two albums, In Loving Memory and The Pleasure And The Greed. They're gone now, but their music endures.

Closed Thread