HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good, Bad and Ugly - Sabres v. Habs 11/4

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2005, 09:07 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

vCash: 500
Good, Bad and Ugly - Sabres v. Habs 11/4

Since no one else is doing it, here's my take:

Good:
- Goals from role players Fitzpatrick and Mair. Briere can't do it all.
- Monster check from Soupnuts.
- Big game from Marty, returning to form after a slow start and the debacle against Ottawa.
- More Biron: Some HUGE saves.
- Roy wants to stay up. He was skating super hard. Not all of his decisions were good ones or panned out at all well for him, but he was clearly committed to playing his heart out.
- Max with some very unselfish play -- finally using his linemates to get into the zone.
- The Sabres won the first two periods hands-down. (Alas... officials decided there would be a third period in this game). In my estimation, so far this season this was the game the Sabres played the hardest, and until (see Ugly I was pretty proud of them.

Bad:
- Uneven officiating: The Canadiens were getting the calls. We weren't. Specifically, I remember one very bad offsides call, and a Canadien not getting called for a very deliberate slash on Roy.
- Briere's point streak ends at 8 games.
- Pominville on the top line. He's not as bad a skater as I thought, but he was just plain not in synch with Briere and Dumont.
- McKee goes down. Not what we need right about now.

Ugly:
- Clearing clearing clearing. I can accept fanning on a shot, but not on a clearing attempt when your line desperately needs to change. The story of the game.
- In the pregame interview, Marty looked like he hasn't slept since Wednesday. Looking rough there, Buddy.

This was a hard loss to take. I honestly think that aside from the clearing problems, the Sabres simply outplayed the Canadiens. It hurts more when your game is somehow not enough. I imagine that clearing will be worked on in practice, and maybe as the new lines gel a little more, things will even out, but in the here and now, this one hurts.

Old
11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
We opened SUNYAC play last nite, so i had to call that game, so i only caught a few minutes of the sabres game.

I see Pominville played with Briere and Dumont, but who did Roy play with? Did they keep Connolly, Max and Al together?

Old
11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Good:
our PK
Biron's play- definitely played well enough for a win; however, see ugly

Bad:
shots on goal...what happened to the team that was leading the league in this category?
losing McKee
PP
we have to go to Montreal tonight, and Jose's in goal.

Ugly:
defensive control in our end. twice the Habs had Buffalo pinned and running around in their own end. Both times it resulted in Montreal goals.
Buffalo's third period play in general. Outshot and outhustled...but Montreal's been doing that lately...

Old
11-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
We opened SUNYAC play last nite, so i had to call that game, so i only caught a few minutes of the sabres game.

I see Pominville played with Briere and Dumont, but who did Roy play with? Did they keep Connolly, Max and Al together?
Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov ..Horrid.

Old
11-05-2005, 09:46 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Vanek was definitely a weak link on that line. I like Roy and Max together -- Derek seems to inspire a more rounded game out of Max. Once Vanek comes out of his early season funk, this will be a good line.

But yes, for the moment, Vanek is a downgrade on Bartovic on this line.

Old
11-05-2005, 10:24 AM
K McDude

Marty didn't deserve the "L" last night. He played more then well enough for us to win, if only he got some support.

Old
11-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Good:

Kotalik has a decent game again... Got an assist, but I could have scored off that dish

Biron

Bad:

Vanek-Roy-Max....ugh... can you say dominated??

Drury needs to step it UP

Ugly

McKee out

Old
11-05-2005, 11:32 AM
canada_habs2006

im sorry signalinoise, but if u think Buffalo outplayed Montreal, then you are unable to refrain from using biased comments. When montreal loses and they get outplayed I admit, and say that is the reason plain and simple, the lost because they were outplayed. Don't go blame the refs when your team loses, and make it look like your team is perfect and losing is never their fault

You would be right if you said Montreal didn't play very good, because they didn't, however they still played better than the Sabres, with the exception of the first 10 minutes, Montreal just played with more skill, and outworked them period.

And if you guys would like to say that this was one of the Sabres better games??...
than its going to be a long season, because the Sabres got an average Canadiens Team tonite and lost.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:21 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Tonight was the first game that I was really impressed with Kotalik's all-around game. He really looks like he's starting to put it all together, and at this point I think he's more valuable to us than Dumont.

Old
11-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006
im sorry signalinoise, but if u think Buffalo outplayed Montreal, then you are unable to refrain from using biased comments. When montreal loses and they get outplayed I admit, and say that is the reason plain and simple, the lost because they were outplayed. Don't go blame the refs when your team loses, and make it look like your team is perfect and losing is never their fault

You would be right if you said Montreal didn't play very good, because they didn't, however they still played better than the Sabres, with the exception of the first 10 minutes, Montreal just played with more skill, and outworked them period.

And if you guys would like to say that this was one of the Sabres better games??...
than its going to be a long season, because the Sabres got an average Canadiens Team tonite and lost.

I think you've roamed our board enough in the last 24 hours, doing close to nothing but stirring things up. IF you don't mind - go back to the Habs board and share your thoughts with your fellow fans.

Old
11-05-2005, 01:25 PM
canada_habs2006

you don't really have to worry, im only posting in these boards because i was at the game last night, and i only go to hockey games like once every year

Old
11-05-2005, 02:02 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006
First, you don't know me, so don't try to wrap me in BS blanket statements.

Second, the day that I take getting accused of homerism by a Habs fan is the day I hang it up. Puh-leeeazzze. Call me when your **** starts to stink.

Third, I didn't blame the refs for the loss. I think I was pretty clear that the loss is squarely on the shoulders of the Sabres inability to clear the damned puck. Now, was the game called evenly and consistently? Not by a damned sight. Just by way of example, I remember a clean hit by Drury early on that was called for boarding, and I remember a vicious slash against Roy that went uncalled. Is the uneven officiating to blame for the loss? No -- good teams can overcome bad officiating. That's how sports work.

Old
11-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Mike8

To be fair, there were non-calls and bad calls on both sides of the coin.

And I would say the Sabres controlled the flow for the first two periods.

That said, the ice was bad. Montreal tends to play poorly when the ice is bad.

The Habs are getting into a habit of not playing a consistent 60 minutes; something the team had been doing through the first 10 games.

Old
11-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Habs13

What happened to McKee??

And, the Habs played possibly their worst game so far this season.. the key to beating the Habs is a huge first period because the Habs have been zombie-like in all of thier first periods thus far... we need to play the way we play in the third period through 60 minutes, but we haven't done that yet.

Biron was amasing and Campbell..er..Soupnuts?? haha... crushed.. CRUSHED poor Jan Bulis! Soupnuts is funny because we have a D-man with a souper nickname too! Francis Bouillon - the Cube! Geddit, GEDDIT??

I wonder why the pace was so slow last night when the Habs and Sabres are two of the faster teams in the league.

Old
11-05-2005, 05:39 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
To be fair, there were non-calls and bad calls on both sides of the coin.

And I would say the Sabres controlled the flow for the first two periods.

That said, the ice was bad. Montreal tends to play poorly when the ice is bad.

The Habs are getting into a habit of not playing a consistent 60 minutes; something the team had been doing through the first 10 games.
Good point about the ice. I wanted to go on the gdt after the game and ask some Sabre fans about it,but falling asleep on the couch sort of nixed that idea. I've never seen so mnay pucks jump over sticks,missed passes,d men fanning on the puck,etc. Has the ice been a problem this year. I don't think your rink's ever been known for bad ice has it ? I thought it was pretty noticeable last night.

Old
11-06-2005, 02:45 PM
dave b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Good point about the ice. I wanted to go on the gdt after the game and ask some Sabre fans about it,but falling asleep on the couch sort of nixed that idea. I've never seen so mnay pucks jump over sticks,missed passes,d men fanning on the puck,etc. Has the ice been a problem this year. I don't think your rink's ever been known for bad ice has it ? I thought it was pretty noticeable last night.
The ice was real bad against the Isles and didn't seem much better against the Bruins. Didn't really notice the ice condition against the Rangers.

Old
11-07-2005, 04:00 AM
Tra La La

Bad : Biron both Kovalev goals should have been stopped. Typical Marty Biron Start to the Season 1-3 so far.

Old
11-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer
Bad : Biron both Kovalev goals should have been stopped.
Are you kidding?

The first one was a deflection, and the second one was a great shot from close in, after good puck movement on the PP by the Habs.

I mean, if anyone thinks Biron is at fault for anything in these two games, that's just wrong.

Old
11-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I thought Kotalik's worst play so far of the season led to the GWG. Eh. Not enough from everywhere to get the win against a team that is getting those contributions from everywhere.

11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I thought Kotalik's worst play so far of the season led to the GWG.
Drury fanning, and then skating away, on an earlier clearing attempt was worse, IMO. I believe that lead to the game-tying goal.

Closed Thread