HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Puck Passers.

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Puck Passers.

It's my favourite part of the game. Passing the puck and hitting the man in full flight looks easy when it's done well, and is a devastating weapon. The MA Bergeron pass to Dvorak last night had all the impact of a bullet to the temple, and the Oilers have more good puck passers than they've had in years.

Up front, Ryan Smyth is now well above average, Hemsky is touched by God and York is terrific. That's why I love the York-Chimera-Hemsky line, it's a combination of speed and finesse that should prove deadly. They also have Dvorak, and that 4th line looked dazzling last night.

On defense, Bergeron can give the backline an entirely different look. His suicide passes will just have to be part of the package, that's all. Brewer has the skill, but has to speed up the process. If they could get another guy back there capable of the head man pass, it could be dynamite.

I know it was San Jose and it'll be a completely different battle on Saturday night and Vancouver.

However, there were a dozen top drawer passes last night. Craig MacTavish is exactly right when he says the play doesn't die on their sticks.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
It's my favourite part of the game. Passing the puck and hitting the man in full flight looks easy when it's done well, and is a devastating weapon. The MA Bergeron pass to Dvorak last night had all the impact of a bullet to the temple, and the Oilers have more good puck passers than they've had in years.

Up front, Ryan Smyth is now well above average, Hemsky is touched by God and York is terrific. That's why I love the York-Chimera-Hemsky line, it's a combination of speed and finesse that should prove deadly. They also have Dvorak, and that 4th line looked dazzling last night.

On defense, Bergeron can give the backline an entirely different look. His suicide passes will just have to be part of the package, that's all. Brewer has the skill, but has to speed up the process. If they could get another guy back there capable of the head man pass, it could be dynamite.

I know it was San Jose and it'll be a completely different battle on Saturday night and Vancouver.

However, there were a dozen top drawer passes last night. Craig MacTavish is exactly right when he says the play doesn't die on their sticks.

I agree that Berberon's pass to Dvo was totally risky, but if you looked at some of his other outlet passes (the ones that didn't make your heart stop) it was very clear how much people like him will help with offense.

MAB will do a good/very good job on the PP and will not be nearly the defensive liability many think. But his biggest attribute is those outlet passes right on the tape to a forward at speed in the neutral zone. Lets hope they all aren't quite as risky as that one though.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
It's my favourite part of the game. Passing the puck and hitting the man in full flight looks easy when it's done well, and is a devastating weapon. The MA Bergeron pass to Dvorak last night had all the impact of a bullet to the temple,
Glad that somebody else liked that pass. The play was finished beautifully by Smyth & Dvo and they did a great job of getting into position to take that feed as well, but Bergie's pass set them free and it was an 80 foot laser to the tape.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

The past couple of days I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to take the money that had been earmarked for Mike Comrie and offer it to Oleg Tverdovsky. I don't know if Tivo is even eligible to return to the NHL this season, and I don't know if he'd be willing to come back for the money I'm picturing (I would think the Oilers might be able to find somewhere around $2 million if they look under the cushions...) but ... do you guys think the idea has any merit? The guy is certainly a more than decent puck-carrying and puck-passing defenseman, he'd be a boost to the powerplay, and although he's not a physical presense, he's at least aware of what his defensive responsibilities are.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
The past couple of days I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to take the money that had been earmarked for Mike Comrie and offer it to Oleg Tverdovsky. I don't know if Tivo is even eligible to return to the NHL this season, and I don't know if he'd be willing to come back for the money I'm picturing (I would think the Oilers might be able to find somewhere around $2 million if they look under the cushions...) but ... do you guys think the idea has any merit? The guy is certainly a more than decent puck-carrying and puck-passing defenseman, he'd be a boost to the powerplay, and although he's not a physical presense, he's at least aware of what his defensive responsibilities are.

The Oilers might have a few bucks more than that to spend. The Canadian dollar jumped by just over one cent today and that saves the Oilers at least 600,000 unless my math is totally out to lunch.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
...the Oilers have more good puck passers than they've had in years.
On Thursday night I was trying to remember a recent Oiler team in the last decade or so that gave me a larger impression of having more raw skill through the whole lineup. I couldn't think of one, I had to go back to the last team that won the cup here.

The prospects turned NHL'ers over the last season or so look to be the real deal. Pretty young and it was the first game of the season, though. I think we are going to be in for a lot of ups and downs this season. Nothing new there, but at this point things look pretty positive.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Berard is still out there too

Old
10-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

as long as he can create some plays, i will let him go through his growing pains.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:27 AM
theoil

If Bergeron can do the job in front of the net clearing the big guys I think he will add significantly to the Oilers attack. Unfortunately for him it is a lot easier to overlook defensive mistakes in 2-1 games than the 7-4 games of 10-15 years ago. I hope he gets his chance though because those tape to tapes are beeyootiful to watch and as has been said about how Hemsky will raise the talent level of the other forwards so too will Bergeron's example speed up Brewer and Semenov. There is nothing better for a coach or teacher to be able to do than to point at somebody and just say "do it like he does it".

Old
10-11-2003, 12:03 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
"do it like he does it"
Coaches dream of this.

Good stuff guys

I look at the raw and comparatively refined talent we have, and my heart starts racing.

I also look at the shift in attitude, from the top, right on down. The best words to describe what I'm seeing are: ability, belief & confidence. (abc - gawd, I love simplicity)

KLo's 'swagger' shows what he sees here. He was born and nurtured to be GM. He knows what kind of heart, character and talent the Oilers now have.

MacT doesn't look tentative. (I always thought he could have used another year or 2 as an assistant. KLo moving up so fast was a natural, but MacT was on a different learning curve.) He's there now. I've seen and heard many comments on the things he's changed since last season. He identified where he needed help, Peters and Simpson. He has the tools: a system that keeps it simple (see above), a diversely gifted coaching staff, and enough guys to point to and say; "do it like he does it".

The boys on the ice have been living and breathing MacT an co's tools, and appear to have taken some steps toward team focus. I really didn't expect to see the positioning and puck support I saw in the first game. That can take months, and on some teams, years to develop. It also allows for creative thinking from highend talent. * We'll still see some young mistakes, but if they think and skate the system, there won't be as many.

I'm willing to venture that, you'll see lots of "top drawer" passes on the fly, lowetide.

Must get my nitro now.

edit * was sidetracked while posting and forgot to add

Closed Thread