HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Disservice to a Young Man

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 04:12 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

vCash: 500
Disservice to a Young Man

If the plan is to expose Fleury to a year behind this team they should be ashamed of themselves. This game at home against a depleted LA team is so one sided its sad. Fleury has been unbelievable but the talent level is so low its hard to fathom. The defense are slow and mistake prone, there is no transition game, i see no chemistry yet between Lemieux, Straka , Koltsov and Morozov is being utterly wasted with Ryan Malone and Rico Fata. Eastwood and Buchberger are giving it the college try but the lacj of speed is hurting. Focht, Baumgartner, Orpik, Tarnstrom Berehowsky and Melichar. That is even worse than Toronto's D. We've seen kids ruined before and i hope patrick has an epiphany before its too late and finds some way to send Fleury to CB. It would seem that marc has a deal to stay up however or he would not be signed. Now Gleason has been injured by the very poor Orpik, who should be suspended for the knee to knee hit. Dreadful, dreadful dreadful.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Seachd

I kind of agree. In general, the Penguins have just been terrible. But Fleury himself has been awesome. Unfortunately, that's not going to win Pittsburgh many games if they keep playing like this.

On the other hand, though, Pittsburgh probably isn't going to be that good for a few years. Were they going to wait that long to let him play?

I think it's going to be a very long year for Fleury, and his stats just might be awful at the end, but it might be necessary. He can't do anything more in junior, so he might as well play with the Penguins. The experience (the learning experience, not the losing one) certainly can't hurt him.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:18 PM
spence___

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
If the plan is to expose Fleury to a year behind this team they should be ashamed of themselves. This game at home against a depleted LA team is so one sided its sad. Fleury has been unbelievable but the talent level is so low its hard to fathom. The defense are slow and mistake prone, there is no transition game, i see no chemistry yet between Lemieux, Straka , Koltsov and Morozov is being utterly wasted with Ryan Malone and Rico Fata. Eastwood and Buchberger are giving it the college try but the lacj of speed is hurting. Focht, Baumgartner, Orpik, Tarnstrom Berehowsky and Melichar. That is even worse than Toronto's D. We've seen kids ruined before and i hope patrick has an epiphany before its too late and finds some way to send Fleury to CB. It would seem that marc has a deal to stay up however or he would not be signed. Now Gleason has been injured by the very poor Orpik, who should be suspended for the knee to knee hit. Dreadful, dreadful dreadful.
Yeah, I cant understand why Malone would be on our 2nd line, especially while Abid is being scratched.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Oiltalk

I don't see why they didn't put Morozov on the same line as Lemieux to being with as those two have good chemistry.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Fishhead

That Orpik hit was one of the cheapest things I have seen in a while. Probably since that Dale Hatcher incident. Sorry, but a guy like that has no place in this league. I hope they throw the book at him. Thats gutless.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:26 PM
spence___

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
I don't see why they didn't put Morozov on the same line as Lemieux to being with as those two have good chemistry.
It's not as bad as it sounds, since theyll be together on the PP.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:48 PM
RI Canuck

Hopefully they won't let him get shell-shocked like Kolzig was with the Capitals years ago. It took him years until he recovered. They should have sent him down for 1 more year even if he is good enough to be the starter. it gives the Pens another year to try and get some decent players in and give the rookies there now a chance to get better.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:14 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Well past Morozov and Straka, it's Lemieux and the other guys. Olcyzk probably just wants to spread out his offence...which is paper thin already.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
If the plan is to expose Fleury to a year behind this team they should be ashamed of themselves. This game at home against a depleted LA team is so one sided its sad....
Was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game. Kid looks splendid, but too many more nights like this, and he will be in a straightjacket by December.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:00 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game. Kid looks splendid, but too many more nights like this, and he will be in a straightjacket by December.
It does seem pointless to risk his confidence by exposing him to this kind of an environment.His talent level may be high enough at such a young age but his mental toughness is likely a step behind.There are very few veteran goalies that could play regularly on such a poor team without there being a detrimental effect on them,nevermind a rookie.Seems to me the pens have more to lose than they have to gain.I wonder how long this will last.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Jacob

It's not like he's going to turn into Craig Hillier on the night where he gives up 5 goals in two periods. Nobody's confidence is THAT fragile, and that is especially true of any goalie coming out of the Q.

Even if they sent him back tonight, he would be going into training camp a year from now with that ONE game of NHL action on his resume. If he can continue this kind of play, he's only helping his future.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Coffey77

Yeah, if Fleury stays in Pittsburgh he will see plenty of shots.

They faced a depleted Kings team. No Allison, Deadmarsh and Norstrom and still only managed 11 shots. That's terrible.

I'm sure he'll face plenty of shots in Cape Breton but he'll be under a constant barrage in Pittsburgh. I hope the Pens adopt some form of trap to reduce the shot count.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:12 PM
tom_servo

Meh. The team also hadn't played a game in 12 days, so we can give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I don't doubt that they're going to suck for most of the season, but probably not as hard as they did last night.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
I said this team would win about 15 games. After watching them tonight, I doubt they will win 8 games. Send the kid back to junior, trade Straka and sell the team to a city that will build a modern rink. The team reminds me of the Jets in the early 80's and the
Nords in the late 80's

Old
10-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Stephen

The Penguins are going to suck hard this season. I don't think Fleury's best interests would be served participating in that.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
They won't be as bad all season as they've been last night.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:18 AM
tom_servo

Well, we'll see...

Old
10-11-2003, 09:21 AM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Focht, Baumgartner, Orpik, Tarnstrom Berehowsky and Melichar. That is even worse than Toronto's D.
Hey! Cheap shot!

Old
10-11-2003, 09:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead
That Orpik hit was one of the cheapest things I have seen in a while. Probably since that Dale Hatcher incident. Sorry, but a guy like that has no place in this league. I hope they throw the book at him. Thats gutless.
I would have to argue that there is no comparison to the two hits. Orpiks hit and hits like it cause serious injury on impact a high percentage of times. they are considered to be top of the scale of cheap hits because they are career threatening hits. Broken legs, blown out knees. The Hunter hit was cheap and dirty only because it was a late hit after a goal was scored. No dirtier than a cross check in the back after a player scores a goal. Other than the lateness of the hit there was nothing unusual about it and the shoulder injury that Turgeon suffered was not caused on impact, but by his awkward fall. Hunter wanted to knock Turgeon on his ass for over celebration, but meant him no harm beyond that. His suspension was valid because of the damage done. Orpik's hit was of a kind that is meant to injure.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal(M)eth
Fluery decided he wanted to play in the NHL this season, no one forced him to play. He made his own decisions....No one here knows what is best for Fluery...he is a man and let him make his own decisions.
Whether it is in the Pens best interest to keep Fleury up at this juncture is obviously debatable, either way. Fair enough. And, of course, they have a closer handle on the situation than any of us.

But the comments above strongly suggest it's Fleury's call. It's not. It's the Pens decision.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Stephen

It's not like there are a lot of 18 year olds who would walk away from million dollar contracts and the NHL anyway. Hell if it were up to me, I'd play in the NHL, regardless of whether or not I'm ready.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
It's not like there are a lot of 18 year olds who would walk away from million dollar contracts and the NHL anyway. Hell if it were up to me, I'd play in the NHL, regardless of whether or not I'm ready.
I'm begging to be disserviced like that

Closed Thread