HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Sun:Pens and Hawks looking to dump their free agent prizes

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2005, 08:02 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Ottawa Sun:Pens and Hawks looking to dump their free agent prizes

Quote:
The Blackhawks are not happy with G Nikolai Khabibulin. His problem: He hasn't been able to stop the puck. They'd love to deal him, but realize they're stuck with his huge contract
Quote:
The Penguins wouldn't mind moving RW Ziggy Palffy, D Dick Tarnstrom and G Jocelyn Thibault. The word is Pittsburgh GM Craig Patrick is disappointed in Palffy -- a huge off-season signing who has not produced
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...94543-sun.html

Khabibulin-4 years/$27 million

Palffy-3 years/$13.5 million

Old
11-06-2005, 08:17 AM
BringGilmourBack

I'd be more interested in Turco.

Old
11-06-2005, 08:18 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

The Isles are looking to get rid of tough guy Eric Godard, who fought Ottawa's Brian McGrattan last night ...

Yeah the Isles who aren't tough enough,want to move their $450,000 enforcer,leaving 5'11 Asham as their new heavyweight

Old
11-06-2005, 08:39 AM
wilka91*

everyone is stuck with somebody. basically we see now that multiyear contracts under the cap make no sense

in a couple of years there might not be enough cap room in the league to sign everyone

Old
11-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Claypool*

If they traded Palffy, Thibault, and Tarnstrom now, then they're basically telling their fans that the season is over 15 games in.

Old
11-06-2005, 08:49 AM
HockeyMan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiajin
in a couple of years there might not be enough cap room in the league to sign everyone

GMs wil wise up to life under the cap, i don't think we'll be seeing many deals longer than 3 years this off season. I don't think the league as a whole needs to worry about not being able to sign every player. By the time it would become a problem i think GMs will be smarter about their signings and come of these bad deals will begin to expire.

That being said some teams have left themselves in a pretty bad situation for the next couple years with some unGodly contracts.

Old
11-06-2005, 08:50 AM
PACaptain

At least I'm not the person disappointed in Palffy. I don't see anyone taking him off our hands with his salary. I hate to say that I told you so with Ziggy but it doesn't feel so good since my Pens are hurting right now. Tarnstrom has been okay its just that we have a lot of offensive defensivemen right now and not very many defensive defensemen.

Old
11-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
If they traded Palffy, Thibault, and Tarnstrom now, then they're basically telling their fans that the season is over 15 games in.
Their fans don't already know this?

Old
11-06-2005, 08:53 AM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
I don't agree at all. If you watch Pens games you see that Ziggy floats, Thibault has not been better than even Sebastien Caron, and Tarnstrom is hurt but played okay when he was around. We could use some defensemen that are better at defense than scoring. If they moved all three and got a decent return on the blueline then called up Marc-Andre Fleury and maybe Tomas Surovy, I don't think many Pens fans would be too upset.

Old
11-06-2005, 08:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain
I don't agree at all. If you watch Pens games you see that Ziggy floats, .
Has Ziggy been nagged by injuries this season?

Old
11-06-2005, 09:00 AM
hbk

I think Phoenix was considering a deal for Palffy prior to their recent 2 game win streak. No source. Just personal opinion. O'Donnell the most likely candidate going the other way. Basically, Phoenix using their cap space to get another scorer and dumping O'Donnell to keep their roster somewhat in check.

Khabibulin is a problem. Reverse arbitration at the end of the season? If I'm the Chicago GM, I think I have a slam dunk case.

Old
11-06-2005, 09:05 AM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Has Ziggy been nagged by injuries this season?
Not that have been mentioned. I think he has been nagged by disinterest and for maybe being a little out of shape. I went to training camp one day and he was huffing and puffing like crazy through a scrimmage and barely skating at all. If he has been injured, no credible source has mentioned anything.

I would gladly send Ziggy out to Phoenix for O'Donnell and maybe something else. Let Gretzky try to motivate him a little more.

Old
11-06-2005, 09:12 AM
emptynet_66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
Their fans don't already know this?
No, not at 3 games under .500.........

Old
11-06-2005, 09:24 AM
st5801

Yes, T-Bo has been terrible. It looks like he forgot basic fundamentals. He's been out of position way too often. Still, I think he needs another chance before a trade. He's barely played in any of the games. Give him a few more starts, I think.

Palffy hasn't been that disappointing, but I agree he could be even better. Unlike our other big name players, it doesn't seem like he makes his presence felt on the ice a lot of the time.

Tarnstrom has been fine, aside from the injury, but there's no way him and Jackman both make it through this season. One of them will be traded for sure.

Old
11-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Palffy has 16 points for god's sake.
Sure he hasn't been a game breaker so far, but it's not as if he sucks (and he has positive +/-, contrary to most Penguins).

Old
11-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Well, those are the most quietest 16 points i've ever seen. I have Centre Ice so I see alot of hockey and he is INVISIBLE out there...

Old
11-06-2005, 09:44 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Palffy has 16 points for god's sake.
Sure he hasn't been a game breaker so far, but it's not as if he sucks (and he has positive +/-, contrary to most Penguins).
It's not about the numbers. If Palffy's intensity and determination matched his talent level, he'd be leading the league in scoring.

He's been very disappointing so far.

I guess the Pens should have signed Aleksey Morozov and used the extra money saved from Palffy towards a defenseman.

That said, I'd rather get a coach that can light a fire under his *** than trade him for nothing and stick with Edzo. I truly believe that a better coach could have Palffy playing at the top of his game.

Old
11-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
IS there such a thing as "reverse arbitration" under the new CBA? Can GMs take a player under contract to arbitration to try and get some of the money off the deal/years off the deal?

Old
11-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Beukeboom Fan

1) I don't think you can take a player under contract to "reverse arbitration".

2) With Daze toast, Hawks desperately need a bonified 1st line talent forward. I would love the Hawks to take a shot with Palffy. Maybe move Babchuk or Barinka for Palffy trade?

Old
11-06-2005, 10:03 AM
HFNHL PIT GM
OlliMacBjugStrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
IS there such a thing as "reverse arbitration" under the new CBA? Can GMs take a player under contract to arbitration to try and get some of the money off the deal/years off the deal?
no, if the player is under contract, thats that. the term of the deal must be played.

however, if hte player is RFA, the team can choose to take him to arbitration once in his career. see FLA vs. Luongo.

dr

Old
11-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm
It's not about the numbers. If Palffy's intensity and determination matched his talent level, he'd be leading the league in scoring.

He's been very disappointing so far.

I guess the Pens should have signed Aleksey Morozov and used the extra money saved from Palffy towards a defenseman.

That said, I'd rather get a coach that can light a fire under his *** than trade him for nothing and stick with Edzo. I truly believe that a better coach could have Palffy playing at the top of his game.
I know it's not about the numbers. But Palffy brings you just that : numbers.
He won't bring you hits, he'll bring you numbers, PP goals and a little PK.
He is not played much on the PP, and still has 16 points.
Regardless of his apparent lack of motivation, he is still producing.
As I said, we can expect more, but nobody should say he sucks.

Old
11-06-2005, 11:06 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

Khabibulin-4 years/$27 million

Palffy-3 years/$13.5 million
I wonder if Tampa knew something about Khabibulin that the rest of us didn't???

Old
11-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
For as miserable as he's been, Palffy still is averagine over a point a game. Just imagine if he wasn't playing disinterested.

Tarnstrom is in a tough situation, not just because of the injury. He's a solid defender who the Pens just don't want to pay because of guys like Jackman, Gonchar, and Whitney being on the same roster. Jackman and Whitney are cheaper and Gonchar is just flat out better. Whenever he gets healthy it shouldn't be that hard to trade him, but I think the team is more interested in getting an immidiate return than draft picks or prospects anymore, and that makes any trade harder.

Thibault has fallen out of favor here extremely fast. I'm not willing to dump him yet, but my patience are running thin, as are the Penguins. I celebrated that trade & sign, now I rue it.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
For as miserable as he's been, Palffy still is averagine over a point a game. Just imagine if he wasn't playing disinterested.

Tarnstrom is in a tough situation, not just because of the injury. He's a solid defender who the Pens just don't want to pay because of guys like Jackman, Gonchar, and Whitney being on the same roster. Jackman and Whitney are cheaper and Gonchar is just flat out better.
Jackman's also a right-handed shot, which benefits him as far as staying in Pittsburgh goes.

If it was possible, I'd sooner move Gonchar than Tarnstrom (he's not 3.4 million dollars per year better), but that's not going to happen. Besides, Gonchar's picking his game up, even though he'll always be a liabitlity defensively, IMO.

Aside from Tarnstrom, and/or maaaaaybe Jackman I honestly don't see any of the Pens' top 8 or 10 players moving.

Old
11-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Mister Hockey

Ziggy has not been that bad. in fact, when he was playing on a line with crosby and Malone, He looked pretty good.

Tarnstrom was playing very well before he got hurt. The problem with him, is that he gives the Pens too much of the same thing.

Thibault is a another story. He looks like the second coming of Wendell Young in goal. He goes down way too soon. He looses sight of the puck at least 5 or 6 times per game. He ends up on his back half the time, because he is so far out of position. He's been the worst goalie that I have seen this year in the NHL. I Know it's early, but he needs to make a total change in his play now.

Closed Thread