HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Sun:Pens and Hawks looking to dump their free agent prizes

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

vCash: 500
Atleast they are playing. 12.3 million/3 years Zhamnov has yet to play a game for Boston.

Old
11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiajin
everyone is stuck with somebody. basically we see now that multiyear contracts under the cap make no sense

in a couple of years there might not be enough cap room in the league to sign everyone
Im starting to like the Caps approach more and more.....there was no way they were going to be able to sign the kind of players needed to be a good team....at best they could have spent a lot of money and maybe contend to a playoff spot....so they will throw all their youth against the wall, and see what sticks.

its still early but im looking at some of these teams that were big spenders and wondering if they regret it. This next off season should be very interesting and, as a Capitals fan, I'm hoping they will be able to make some moves that will speed up the rebuild.....they certainly will be in a great position cap wise to do so....and they have proven that they will spend money.

Old
11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
I wonder if Tampa knew something about Khabibulin that the rest of us didn't???
No, we just didn't want to pay him what he wanted.

11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
No, we just didn't want to pay him what he wanted.
Obviously a good decision...

Old
11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Superstar Shane

It is ridiculous that they want to trade Thibault after 4 damn games. That's just stupid. And the same with Palffy. If the problem is him not playing hard, we don't need to dump him after 14 games, we need to get a real ****ing coach. I can name at least a dozen players on this team that don't play hard. Are we going to trade all of them, too?

Tarnstrom, on the other hand is pretty obvious. He is one of 4 offensive defensemen on this team and the easiest to trade for market value (excluding Whitney, of course; but he's untouchable). And he's a UFA next season, too. He'll probably be dealt as soon as he comes off the IR.

Old
11-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Pens fans, I'm sorry to tell you, but Ziggy was one of our most responsible forwards in the defensive zone on a regular basis in L.A. I don't know what the attitude is like in the club house in Pit, but man, he would've been benched in a heartbeat if he floated in L.A. The Kings will take him back off your hands.

Old
11-06-2005, 01:42 PM
salty justice

How about Palffy and Thibault for Khabibulin? The contracts just about cancel eachother out and maybe these guys just need a change of scenary. Thibault always played admirable for us and Id welcome him back in a heartbeat. I actually wanted to keep him over Khabi.

Old
11-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Obviously a good decision...
Yep, this one's all on Khabi. Apparently a horrible decision by him, but he's got a few more million to comfort himself with.

Old
11-06-2005, 01:55 PM
salty justice

Quote:
I wonder if Tampa knew something about Khabibulin that the rest of us didn't???
They just knew that a goaltenders numbers reflect more than the goalie himself. But of course the concept of t-e-a-m hasnt been seen for a decade in Chicago.

Old
11-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Bring Back Smyth

I find it hard to believe that Palffy is on the market, especially with his 16 points in 14 games.. But as you Pens fans have said he looks like a floater and I have only watched one Pens game so far this season.

Old
11-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
I know it's not about the numbers. But Palffy brings you just that : numbers.
He won't bring you hits, he'll bring you numbers, PP goals and a little PK.
He is not played much on the PP, and still has 16 points.
Regardless of his apparent lack of motivation, he is still producing.
As I said, we can expect more, but nobody should say he sucks.

Completely agree. He's a PPG player and on the positive side of the plus/minus scale. I dont think anyone should be complaining about his performence.

Now, if he was supposed to be the leader of this team, i could see some complaining, but Mario is the team leader, not Palffy.

Old
11-06-2005, 03:04 PM
MM425

Knabibulin has absolutely NO EXCUSE.

I've seen him play this year, and the goals that are getting past him are nausiating to whatch. The guy is making 6.8 million dollars...

He's always been a guy that has great talent... but lacked the heart and dedication to be a true NHL star. I remeber reading somewhere on how he smoked and never paied any attention to conditioning... this was back in his Phoniex and earlt Tampa days... I heard he cleaned up his act, which got him a stanley cup, but seemingly he's back to his old tricks again.

Old
11-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...94543-sun.html

Khabibulin-4 years/$27 million

Palffy-3 years/$13.5 million
Tarnstrom is gone for the year I believe.

Any other good offensive d-men becoming available

Old
11-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Tarnstrom is gone for the year I believe.
No.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack
I remeber reading somewhere on how he smoked and never paied any attention to conditioning... this was back in his Phoniex and earlt Tampa days...
He never pulled that stuff in Tampa. Torts would never have put up with it.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Claypool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack
remeber reading somewhere on how he smoked and never paied any attention to conditioning...

There are plently of players in the NHL that smoke and never condition themselves.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Melrose'sMullet

Brunette (possible Svatos) and Boughner for Palffy...What do you guys think about this? Palffy would fit in real well with Kono and Turgeon on the second line.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet
Brunette (possible Svatos) and Boughner for Palffy...What do you guys think about this? Palffy would fit in real well with Kono and Turgeon on the second line.
Are you forgetting that there is this thing called a salary cap that teams have to abide by?

Old
11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Well, those are the most quietest 16 points i've ever seen. I have Centre Ice so I see alot of hockey and he is INVISIBLE out there...
This is my exact point. Ziggy got an assist last night but this Pens fan already turned the game off. His lack of skating gave Edzo the idea to put him with both Rico Fata and Sidney Crosby so they could skate and open up space. Now he is with Malone who is an above average skater and Christensen who has been creating. I know I have been a critic of Palffy since the Pens signed him so maybe I am too biased. I have been disappointed but I cannot say I am entirely surprised. I did not see him much in LA but I remember his Islander days.

Other Penguin players have lacked hustle and desire at times but to me it seems like Ziggy has done it on the most consistent basis. Its something I really do not want to watch for a few more years. Phoenix seems desperate for scoring, I say allow Gretzky to try and motivate him. Even if they don't get much of a return, they save some cap money and with the salary cap as we see in the NFL, cap space is almost as valuable as players. I would like to see them let Surovy or someone else play on the top two lines for a bit and see if they boom or bust. If said player sucks, dump him and look for someone else in the off-season. If he plays strong, keep him around and shore up that leaky defense.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Jaded-Fan

No, get the potential trades right . . . the Pens are dreaming of trading either Fleury or Malkin for your 7th defenseman. We need defense after all. Step right up and join the fun of making an offer. Oh, and please explain in some detail how great your 7th defenseman actually is and how we would be idiots for not taking the trade.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:43 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain

Other Penguin players have lacked hustle and desire at times but to me it seems like Ziggy has done it on the most consistent basis. Its something I really do not want to watch for a few more years. Phoenix seems desperate for scoring, I say allow Gretzky to try and motivate him.
You mentioned O'Donnell. We can part with him since we have Matt Jones wasting away in San Antonio. What else would it take?

Old
11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice
How about Palffy and Thibault for Khabibulin? The contracts just about cancel eachother out and maybe these guys just need a change of scenary. Thibault always played admirable for us and Id welcome him back in a heartbeat. I actually wanted to keep him over Khabi.

Hell no. Thibault was brought in to start for a year and mentor Fleury the next.

Khabibulin would start for one year and then what? 3 more years near the maximum salary with Fleury more than NHL ready?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
You mentioned O'Donnell. We can part with him since we have Matt Jones wasting away in San Antonio. What else would it take?
I would trade Palffy for O'Donnell and a high round pick because I know his trade value with his contract is not very high. I'm sure other Pens fans will lose their mind over that type of proposal but from my point of view the long term cap space is valuable. The Pens are not going to win the Stanley Cup this season, but two years from now might be a clearer target. That's why I say lets give a bunch of young guys a chance on the top two lines and cut some of the fat in the organization based on who can play and who cannot. If we come up snake-eyes with all our young guys then use that cap space to find someone after the season. I've always been a big Surovy fan, so I could see him playing along say Lemieux and Crosby with Reechi-Christensen-Malone. Really any combination of those six guys since that would be by top six.

Any other opinions would be appreciated because for as much hockey as I watch and as much time I spend on HFBoards, I could be dead wrong.

Old
11-06-2005, 06:22 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

palffy does ahve a hefty contract, but its a pretty fair market price. i think ur return, though, will prob increase over time as you burn out his contract. also, palffy was a pretty good 2 way forward and leader on the kings, its a shame that he's gone back to floating after making some real progress with us. but it could do a lot with our coaching staff that forces our players to play 2 ways. and he pretty much is one of the last players you would call "invisible" on our team. great player, wish we had him still

Old
11-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Are you forgetting that there is this thing called a salary cap that teams have to abide by?

PAlffy's contract is 3.5 against the cap this year. The Avs are about 2 million under and unloading Boughner in that deal free's up enough to get him under the cap this year. Next year Sakic and Blake's contracts will get reworked or what ever, so the money I don't believe is an issues.

Closed Thread