HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Sun:Pens and Hawks looking to dump their free agent prizes

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Pens fans, what would you like to have for Ziggy Palffy? Picks? Players? Prospects? or what?

Old
11-07-2005, 03:12 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
I wonder if Tampa knew something about Khabibulin that the rest of us didn't???
He is a good goalie who was a really good goalie for a couple months in 2004.

Chicago is paying him like he is a hall of fame goalie.

That's the problem.

Old
11-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Zoo

Oilers need some help up front... I'll trade Pallfy straight up for Smith. We need help on D.

And I won't no part of the Boughner, he isn't the player he was when he was with us last time. He'll ask the Av's fans, thats why they won't too get rid of him. The new free flowing game isn't working with Boughner right now.

Old
11-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
He is a good goalie who was a really good goalie for a couple months in 2004.

Chicago is paying him like he is a hall of fame goalie.

That's the problem.
No the problem is he has been playing like an ECHL goalie (at least till nast night).
Hawks, like any team that has been consitently brutal have to overpay to get free agents to sign. We offered more to Forsberg and Modano then they signed with their teams for.

At least the Aucoin signing is looking good. Now that he is healthy he looks to be worth every penny. We could use a top flight dman to pair with him though. Brendan Witt would be nice.

Old
11-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
New York Penguiners.

Old
11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
New York Penguiners.
Yep, with a salary around 31mil.

Old
11-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

You want a few defensemen?

OK.

Rob Blake and Bob Boughner for...
Ziggy Palffy, Dick Tarnstrom, and Richard Jackman?

Old
11-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566
Yep, with a salary around 31mil.
Who the hell cares? Your team did exactly what the Rangers have done the last century and are getting the same results.

Apparantly idiot GMs don't learn much, eh?

Old
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
I know it's not about the numbers. But Palffy brings you just that : numbers.
He won't bring you hits, he'll bring you numbers, PP goals and a little PK.
He is not played much on the PP, and still has 16 points.
Regardless of his apparent lack of motivation, he is still producing.
As I said, we can expect more, but nobody should say he sucks.
I also can't understand why everybody is so quick to write off the Pens. This is a team that is designed to get better as the season goes on. Pens added lots of good new talent, and are breaking rookies in. I'll be very, very surprised if their second half is not a lot better than the first half.

Old
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Who the hell cares? Your team did exactly what the Rangers have done the last century and are getting the same results.

Exactly how out of curiosity? They traded away their future for today? What part of first ranked organization in accumulated talent is so hard for you to understand? What would you have them do out of curiosity? Spend $20 million? What exactly did the Pens do that deserves the derision on these boards? They have built a system of prospects that I am absolutely certain is the envy of almost every fan on these boards, and they tried to provide some entertaining hockey as a stop gap until that talent hits the surface in a year or two and they can really compete. So, until now it has not worked. I still give them credit for every move they have made leading up to this season and in the signings that they made this season, whether they pan out or not.

The funny thing is the irony. Lots of sour grapes on these boards against the Pens from fans of teams who finally will have to rely on something other than their wallets. In this era every single team will go through rebuilding at some point and obviously some do not like it. I think that the Pens get the brunt of that dislike mostly because of how they are positioned.

Old
11-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice
They just knew that a goaltenders numbers reflect more than the goalie himself. But of course the concept of t-e-a-m hasnt been seen for a decade in Chicago.
I still predict that the 'Bulin wall will turn it around, and still think that Chicago is going to be on the rise very soon. Too much good young talent there.

Old
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Exactly how out of curiosity? They traded away their future for today? What part of first ranked organization in accumulated talent is so hard for you to understand? What would you have them do out of curiosity? Spend $20 million? What exactly did the Pens do that deserves the derision on these boards? They have built a system of prospects that I am absolutely certain is the envy of almost every fan on these boards, and they tried to provide some entertaining hockey as a stop gap until that talent hits the surface in a year or two and they can really compete. So, until now it has not worked. I still give them credit for every move they have made leading up to this season and in the signings that they made this season, whether they pan out or not.

The funny thing is the irony. Lots of sour grapes on these boards against the Pens from fans of teams who finally will have to rely on something other than their wallets. In this era every single team will go through rebuilding at some point and obviously some do not like it. I think that the Pens get the brunt of that dislike mostly because of how they are positioned.
What did the Pens do to deserve derision? They drafted carefully and made some key UFA signings, as is their right to do under the new CBA. They deserve all of our scorn for that!

The comparison between the Pens and the old Ranger$ spending strategies is way, way off. The Ranger$ had a ridiculous payroll that had a negative impact on the entire league. They were outspending some teams by a factor of 2 to 3, and still stunk up the ice. The Pens ,in contrast, made some signings to bring their payroll up to the rest of the league and they'll still have room for furture signings.

The two situations are night and day.

If anything Pens management and ownership deserves credit for investing in a franchise with a proud history.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I still predict that the 'Bulin wall will turn it around, and still think that Chicago is going to be on the rise very soon. Too much good young talent there.
I agree. I do think that Chicago overpaid . . . well, Duh, everyone thought that at the time. But to think that he will not come around defies logic and the guy's history. He will be one of the top goalies in the league before the year is out, though obviously not having a team the calibre of TB in front of him will have some effect.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Squiddy*

What does the Ottawa sun know? I bet nothing like this happens until the trade deadline.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Pens1566

Quote:

We overpayed middle of the road FA's, driving the market value up? We signed players just for their name, and not based on our needs?

As for idiot GMs, CP may not be the best, but he did bring 2 cups to PIT and positioned our roster very well for the new CBA. Get back to me when we sign holik for 5yrs/45 mil.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
We overpayed middle of the road FA's, driving the market value up? We signed players just for their name, and not based on our needs?

As for idiot GMs, CP may not be the best, but he did bring 2 cups to PIT and positioned our roster very well for the new CBA. Get back to me when we sign holik for 5yrs/45 mil.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo
Oilers need some help up front... I'll trade Pallfy straight up for Smith. We need help on D.

And I won't no part of the Boughner, he isn't the player he was when he was with us last time. He'll ask the Av's fans, thats why they won't too get rid of him. The new free flowing game isn't working with Boughner right now.
Here's the thing...if the Pens are getting rid of Pallfy they are dumping salary, so really the Pens are in a weaker position and Boughner's 900 K is far less than Pallfy's multi year 13.5 million contract. I don't think the Pens will be trading Palffy trying to gain an edge into the playoffs. They will be dumping salary, so...any deal with CO would include Boughner to free up enough room for the Avs to fit him under the cap. Svatos straight up for Palffy is a good deal for the Pens who signed Palffy as a UFA, throw in Boughner to get the Avs under the cap and the Pens get a good rookie who would fit in nicely in due time with Lemieux and Crosby.

Palffy is a much greater burden upon the Pens payroll than Boughner would ever be...

Old
11-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
New York Penguiners.
Your anti-Pittsburgh routine is getting old.

Old
11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I mean this in no way to be offensive or stereotypical, but I rarely give credence to anything I hear in a Canadian paper about trade rumors or players supposedly being on the moved. Their stories are almost as unreliable as the New York Post's IN MY EXPERIENCE.

Now, I'd just like to dispell the rumors of Palffy not playing well because it's really bugging me how many Pens fans are saying this. He played well with Crosby and Recchi and now he's on with Christensen (who has looked solid but he is only a rookie) and Malone, who should be the one being criticized here (6 pts. and a -6 I believe, totally unacceptable). Malone has been mediocre at best so far and Christensen is a rookie what do you want? Meanwhile Mario and Sid are flying high with each other and Recchi.

I will say that Palffy has not looked dominant yet but I also think he may be adjusting to not being the biggest gun on the team. With the Kings and Isles he was THE MAN period. Just something to consider.

To summarize he is in no way playing poorly and he plays a game where he seems to slip in and out of the play, finding soft spots and when he doesn't score it looks like he didn't do anything that game but trust me the guy's good and I'm disappointed all these Pens fans are saying this about him.

P.S.
If the Pens trade Palffy for O'Donnell we might as well trade Crosby for a bag of pucks and a few pylons.

Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 11-07-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old
11-07-2005, 12:50 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Get back to me when we sign holik for 5yrs/45 mil.
Zing!

11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Evilo

I absolutely agree.
But if CP is an idiot, what does it make of a poster like Jon Prescription?

Old
11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
fastfeet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd
You want a few defensemen?

OK.

Rob Blake and Bob Boughner for...
Ziggy Palffy, Dick Tarnstrom, and Richard Jackman?

Must be an avs fan

Old
11-07-2005, 01:58 PM
mvp76

Would make sense for the pens to deal with the blackhawks.

Old
11-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro_Tull
Would make sense for the pens to deal with the blackhawks.
For what?

Old
11-07-2005, 03:18 PM
mvp76

Quote:
For what?
I just remembered the pens have Fleury

Closed Thread