HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

This is the wimpiest Flyers team ever..

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2005, 08:04 AM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

vCash: 500
IMO, Philly, as i saw them, used to the a grind and grit team. "When the going get's tough, the tough get going!" litterally. But now, the flyers are a more finese sort of team, and there's nothing wrong with that. who cares if they don't fight anymore? they don't need to anymore anyways!

Old
11-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I think the Phantoms had an interesting answer to the goon. Instead of bringing in some heavy weight thug they had about two lines worth of middle weights and this year they have even more. I like that because you have two lines of forchecking, a handful of guys that can play the on the penalty kill, and maybe one or two that can be on the power play but no one is exactly a liability. I'm hoping that Grant, Eager, Downie, and two more whose name escape me right now make it to the club in a couple of years. Grant's been playing pretty well and fighting when necessary, the extra year in the minors did him well.

Old
11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
They wont, Ive seen lots of other teams retaliate without penalty. Our players (or perhaps the coach) are just too gutless to do it.

With our penalty killing, teams are hoping for Brash to retaliate. Until I hear a coach or GM say Brash isn't doing what he's told, I'll take his side because I can't imagine anyone would pay Donald that kind of money(especially against a cap)to be invisible for 6 minutes a night. I think it's tougher to be an enforcer for a Hitchcock team nowadays than it is to be a scorer... Kinda funny actually.

Old
11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_4ever
IMO, Philly, as i saw them, used to the a grind and grit team. "When the going get's tough, the tough get going!" litterally. But now, the flyers are a more finese sort of team, and there's nothing wrong with that. who cares if they don't fight anymore? they don't need to anymore anyways!
Well Primeau and Stevenson are out...

Old
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk
One obvious retaliation hit where the player wasn't punished for it. You've seen lots of them, so name one. That's all.
I meant by fighting, of course theyre going to get penalties but theyre not punished by the league or by going on the PK.

Old
11-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
I like frogs because they jump.

What does your post have to do with mine??
Great stat though.
You said fighting is down, I pointed out Calgary have 7 times as many fighting majors as the Flyers. The only reason the Flyers fighting majors are down is because they are *******.

Old
11-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
At the absolute most, a team should have one enforcer. The Flyers have Brashear. That is enough. Whether he does or does not fight often enough for you is up for debate, but in the end, his bouts are for entertainment purposes only. He's not going to intimidate an opposing players into thinking twice about what they might do. That's a fairy tale. I'd much rather have a team of young, skilled player then a team full of thugs.
If he doesnt intimidate, what is the point having him on the team? To take the most untimely penalties?

Old
11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
With our penalty killing, teams are hoping for Brash to retaliate.
Does a 2 min PP matter in a 5-1 game late in the 3rd?

That excuse cant be used after he failed to do anything despite having the game in hand.

FFS, Kovalchuk went after Clark the other night while out whole team did nothing.

Old
11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Brad*

Quote:
If he doesnt intimidate, what is the point having him on the team? To take the most untimely penalties?
To make Therien feel better in knowing that he isn't the worst player on the team.

Old
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:

The new NHL sees fighting as some sort of cancer that needs to be forgotten, and in its place you have people like Havlat who can kick at you with no real fear of ever getting his clocked cleaned. To me, folks who do cheap shots need to pay in the form of physical abuse, be it clean or dirty, not just a stupid fine and suspension.

I know it sounds archaic, but I was raised on Schultz, Holmgren, Cochrane, Hospodar, et al. These were my formative years! I can't shake the notion of retirbution!

Old
11-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
The new NHL sees fighting as some sort of cancer that needs to be forgotten, and in its place you have people like Havlat who can kick at you with no real fear of ever getting his clocked cleaned. To me, folks who do cheap shots need to pay in the form of physical abuse, be it clean or dirty, not just a stupid fine and suspension.
The point is, other teams do it, Ive seen it for myself. The Flyers dont.

Old
11-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Steve L*

Just to prove my point, it was left to a rookie to get his arse handed to him because he was trying to spark the team.

Brashear was too busy trying to be Greztky.

So he doesnt defend his teammate, doesnt serve as a deterent to cheap shots and wont spark his team, what use does he serve?

Old
11-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Pepper

Quote:
So he doesnt defend his teammate, doesnt serve as a deterent to cheap shots and wont spark his team, what use does he serve?
Wait, is this a trick question?

Old
11-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Wait, is this a trick question?
Id like someone to come up with a legitimate answer. I wanted him bought out and guess what, Fedoruk has 7 points and is a plus 6 for Anaheim for less than a third of the price!

Brashear is a waste of space.

Old
11-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Id like someone to come up with a legitimate answer. I wanted him bought out and guess what, Fedoruk has 7 points and is a plus 6 for Anaheim for less than a third of the price!

Brashear is a waste of space.
As a Ducks fan the 2nd rounder we gave for Fridge sounded pretty steep but now I'm absolutely loving the deal.

Old
11-11-2005, 01:38 PM
C-J...*

Wimpy team winning Stanley cup --> Tough team not winning Stanley Cup

Old
11-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshollow
Wimpy team winning Stanley cup --> Tough team not winning Stanley Cup
Trouble is, we wont win the cup because most of our D will be on IR like they were for the last two playoffs.

Perhaps if we had someone who took exception to cheap hits, we may have had the full fit 6 d men and could well be defending champions now.

Old
11-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Trouble is, we wont win the cup because most of our D will be on IR like they were for the last two playoffs.

Perhaps if we had someone who took exception to cheap hits, we may have had the full fit 6 d men and could well be defending champions now.
Yeah, you're right. Someone totally should have cross-checked Desjardins' son in the head for even asking his dad to play catch with him.

Old
11-11-2005, 10:39 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Someone totally should have cross-checked Desjardins' son in the head for even asking his dad to play catch with him.
Exactly. Freak accidents resulting in broken legs in practice or broken hands or feet from taking a puck during the game won't be solved by sending Brashear out to pound on people.

Steve, you're on a which hunt at this point. Brashear may be an enforcer and he may not be doing any fighting, I certainly won't argue with it; the numbers speak for themselves. However, he also creates space for the Carter line (when he's not trying to beat five defenders on the rush) and can help keep the cycle going. So he's not entirely worthless. I'd rather have the Fridge back, but that's opinion. Others here might want Brashear and that's fine too. Arguing about how he doesn't fight in today's league is worthless. Him fighting won't magically stop injuries from happening.

Old
11-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Did Ricos son concuss Rico and Primeau this season?

Old
11-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
not a fair response given that you're drawing the comparison to the last playoffs... where most of our issues on defense had NOTHING to do with what Brashear or anyone else could do, or should have done.

Old
11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Brad*

Quote:
1) That has nothing to do with the last season's playoffs like you mentioned. Not a thing.

2) The hit on Primeau did not cause his concussion. The way his head snapped back when he fell on the ice did. I suppose you want Brashear to attack every single player who throws a body check on a Flyers player? There wouldn't be enough minutes in the game.

3) The player who hit Desjardins was fined, which is a hell of a lot more intimidating and scary for these athletes than the possibility of Brashear coming after them.

Old
11-13-2005, 04:29 AM
Pepper

Quote:
3) The player who hit Desjardins was fined, which is a hell of a lot more intimidating and scary for these athletes than the possibility of Brashear coming after them.

are you kidding?? Getting fined 2000$ doesn't scare or intimidate Chris Clark at all, he has earned millions of dollars in the NHL so far and money like that is peanuts to him.

I'm 99% certain that he would choose the 2000$ fine over a severe ***-kicking from Brashear.

Old
11-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper

are you kidding?? Getting fined 2000$ doesn't scare or intimidate Chris Clark at all, he has earned millions of dollars in the NHL so far and money like that is peanuts to him.

I'm 99% certain that he would choose the 2000$ fine over a severe ***-kicking from Brashear.
Yeah, right. If he was intimidated by Brashear in the first place, he wouldn't have done it. Why do you think he skated around without fear, smashed Desjardins in the face with his elbow, and continued to play the rest of the game like nothing happened? Is that because he was scared of retaltiation? Umm, no.

The idea that NHL'ers are even remotely intimidated by enforcers the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's ridiculous.

Old
11-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Yeah, right. If he was intimidated by Brashear in the first place, he wouldn't have done it. Why do you think he skated around without fear, smashed Desjardins in the face with his elbow, and continued to play the rest of the game like nothing happened? Is that because he was scared of retaltiation? Umm, no.

The idea that NHL'ers are even remotely intimidated by enforcers the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's ridiculous.
I think you should talk to the players - I have done that and most of them say that having an enforcer around makes the opponents think twice before doing anything stupid. Also having played the game myself for several years I know what I'm talking about.

But hey, keep watching the games, it's almost as good

Btw, Brashear is a bad example since he rarely fights anymore.

Closed Thread