HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2015, 03:03 PM
  #51
calicapsfan
Moderator
NFA
 
calicapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berserkly
Country: United States
Posts: 11,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm a big Kuznetsov fan but these Fedorov comparisons have to stop. At 20 Fedorov put up over a point a game as a rookie NHLer. At 23 he put up 120 points and won both the Pearson and the Selke. Think about that for a second.

Kuznetsov seems to be a pretty good player and has a lot of talent but Sergei Fedorov was one of the greatest all around players the NHL has ever seen.
Kids today...


calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 03:10 PM
  #52
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,005
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm a big Kuznetsov fan but these Fedorov comparisons have to stop. At 20 Fedorov put up over a point a game as a rookie NHLer. At 23 he put up 120 points and won both the Pearson and the Selke. Think about that for a second.

Kuznetsov seems to be a pretty good player and has a lot of talent but Sergei Fedorov was one of the greatest all around players the NHL has ever seen.
We're comparing his style to Fedorov. The stick handling, the skating and the overall finesse of his game are what reminds us of Fedorov.

Of course, Fedorov was twice the player Kuzma will ever be.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 04:02 PM
  #53
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,061
vCash: 50
I hope all the other players saw how easy it was to pass it to Chimera off the end boards

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 04:34 PM
  #54
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,508
vCash: 500
Making direct comparisons is unproductive, sure. That's why I always attach -lite not to offend the legends and their fans

At the same time, I don't see a real ceiling on Kuz right now. He's basically as skilled as anybody, offensive IQ is off the charts, and his power/confidence/overall game is only going to increase.

So for example he's no "peak" Datsyuk right now, but I suspect he might be significantly ahead of Datsyuk at similar age. Just think playoff performance -- and yet Dats had some legendary teammates to help him along. So.. anything can happen, but he's doing great

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 05:04 PM
  #55
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Backstrom View Post
We're comparing his style to Fedorov. The stick handling, the skating and the overall finesse of his game are what reminds us of Fedorov.

Of course, Fedorov was twice the player Kuzma will ever be.
Right. Not sure why it's hard to understand that the comparison stems from how his game is reminiscent of Fedorov.

And I don't feel comfortable using the "will ever be" qualifier with Kuznetsov. Right now, I don't see any aspect of his game that puts a limit on his ceiling.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 09:01 PM
  #56
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,005
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Right. Not sure why it's hard to understand that the comparison stems from how his game is reminiscent of Fedorov.

And I don't feel comfortable using the "will ever be" qualifier with Kuznetsov. Right now, I don't see any aspect of his game that puts a limit on his ceiling.
The only concern I had with him is that he looked lost at times on the ice. Obviously, it's gone now.
He's smart, he skates well and he can do anything with the puck.

He needs to work on his shot though. That's what sets the gap between a player like Datsyuk and Fedorov. If he becomes as good as Datsyuk, I won't complain

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 09:49 PM
  #57
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
It's nice to have a player that is abundantly gifted physically as well as mentally. Great hockey IQ. If only it could rub off on some of his teammates.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 10:32 PM
  #58
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,125
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLCAPSALLTHETIME View Post
It's nice to have a player that is abundantly gifted physically as well as mentally. Great hockey IQ. If only it could rub off on some of his teammates.
It already has. That Ovie back pass to Wardo in game one was straight out of the recent Kuz files. I **** you not when I say Ovie is remembering little tricks by watching Kuznetsov even tho the young kid is clearly under the Vets wing overall. I even think the goal today were Ovie pushed it ahead to himself after he split the D is Ovechkin rekindling little finesse moves that I swear I see Kuz do earlier.


Last edited by Bananas: 05-02-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 11:17 PM
  #59
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
It already has. That Ovie back pass to Wardo in game one was straight out of the recent Kuz files. I **** you not when I say Ovie is remembering little tricks by watching Kuznetsov even tho the young kid is clearly under the Vets wing overall. I even think the goal today were Ovie pushed it ahead to himself after he split the D is Ovechkin rekindling little finesse moves that I swear I see Kuz do earlier.
Well, I wish it would rub off on more teammates than just the Great 8, then.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 09:54 AM
  #60
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Backstrom View Post
We're comparing his style to Fedorov. The stick handling, the skating and the overall finesse of his game are what reminds us of Fedorov.
Fedorov always had a level of power in his stride that I just don't see in Kuznetsov. Also coming out of the old Soviet system Fedorov was a lot physically stronger overall than Kuznetsov is.

I don't think Fedorov or Fedorov-lite when I see Kuznetsov on the ice. I'm not sure who I do think of but it isn't Fedorov but whatever...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 10:48 AM
  #61
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 500
I still think he's closer to Malkin than Fedorov.

But maybe he can get some muscle up and change it.

We should agree on Malkin-Fedorov-Datsyuk mix. It would be OK.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 10:48 AM
  #62
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,005
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Fedorov always had a level of power in his stride that I just don't see in Kuznetsov. Also coming out of the old Soviet system Fedorov was a lot physically stronger overall than Kuznetsov is.

I don't think Fedorov or Fedorov-lite when I see Kuznetsov on the ice. I'm not sure who I do think of but it isn't Fedorov but whatever...
It's not so much the power but the control of his edges and his effortless stride.



I see a bigger and stronger Kuznetsov. The Soviet system made machines like Jagr, Bure and Fedorov. The closest we have to that today is Kovalchuk.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 06:11 PM
  #63
Holtbyisms
SY-STEM SY-STEM!!
 
Holtbyisms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bedford, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,056
vCash: 500
Not really all that important but why does our wp writer keep saying Kuznetsov shoots an imaginary arrow after he scores(celebration) it looks to me like he's just pumping his fist to me?

Holtbyisms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 06:16 PM
  #64
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtbyisms View Post
Not really all that important but why does our wp writer keep saying Kuznetsov shoots an imaginary arrow after he scores(celebration) it looks to me like he's just pumping his fist to me?
I agree with the WP writer.

To me, it totally looks like he is an archer. The stick is the bow and his glove is drawing back the arrow. Watch his Game 7 GWG again.

Not that it really matters, of course, but I could watch that goal and celebration a thousand times and not get tired of it.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 06:41 PM
  #65
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 500
That Soviet machine churned out Jagr ? As far as the Kuznetsov comparisons go to Federov they start and end in similarities with having the same last two letters of their last names.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 06:45 PM
  #66
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
That Soviet machine churned out Jagr ? As far as the Kuznetsov comparisons go to Federov they start and end in similarities with having the same last two letters of their last names.
Cool post.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 07:02 PM
  #67
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 51,313
vCash: 500
Kuzy is not Fedorov. Comparing him to Feds or Malkin is just not fair to him.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 07:05 PM
  #68
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Kuzy is Kuzy. He is a unique player and I'm glad he is on the Caps.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 10:06 PM
  #69
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
That Soviet machine churned out Jagr ? As far as the Kuznetsov comparisons go to Federov they start and end in similarities with having the same last two letters of their last names.
I'm not sure you're the expert when it comes to last names.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 11:30 PM
  #70
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Kuzy is not Fedorov. Comparing him to Feds or Malkin is just not fair to him.
There's nothing wrong with comparing them stylistically, which is what is happening, I think. For a while I styled my beer league game after Ovie, that doesn't mean I have 1/1,000,000 of his talent.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 11:56 PM
  #71
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I'm not sure you're the expert when it comes to last names.
Lol. No kidding.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 01:19 AM
  #72
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,005
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
There's nothing wrong with comparing them stylistically, which is what is happening, I think. For a while I styled my beer league game after Ovie, that doesn't mean I have 1/1,000,000 of his talent.
How hard is it to understand that comparing the style of two players does not mean they are on the same level ?

It's just like if I say that my game is modeled after Ovi's because I score a lot of goals and I hit a lot. It doesn't mean I do these things as well as Ovi...

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 01:23 AM
  #73
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,005
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
That Soviet machine churned out Jagr ? As far as the Kuznetsov comparisons go to Federov they start and end in similarities with having the same last two letters of their last names.
Jagr is from Czechoslovakia which was to the east of the Iron Curtain. IIRC, Jagr was the first eastern European player drafted after the fall of the Iron Curtain. So yes, Jagr went through a Soviet type of training like all Eastern European athletes born in the early 70s and before.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 03:30 AM
  #74
Allens Gaping 5 Hole
Winter is Coming
 
Allens Gaping 5 Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arcola, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,603
vCash: 816
Absolutely love him, would give you guys Schwartz straight up for him.

Allens Gaping 5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 06:40 AM
  #75
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 51,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
There's nothing wrong with comparing them stylistically, which is what is happening, I think. For a while I styled my beer league game after Ovie, that doesn't mean I have 1/1,000,000 of his talent.
I don't see the stylistic compare then. when I think of Fedorov I think of a pretty straight forward, very technically sound center. assertive. a top 4 defenseman when asked to do it in his prime til the end.

In Kuzy, I see a creative, dangle master that can shoot.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.