HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yannick Panic... (or, WWMCorDBS)

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2005, 05:42 PM
skolgoar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
We of Los Angeles live in a fairly media deprived area as it relates to the sport of hockey. One weekend in a city like Toronto would give you an idea of what media coverage of the sport could and should be like. You open the daily papers and lo and behold, there are 4 to 6 PAGES of articles about your team, and your sport.
Hmm, perhaps some of the Kings fans who are so enamoured of the hockey coverage in Toronto would like to comment on this quote from the hockey hotbed ...

"7. Los Angeles (10-5-0). Andy Murray is one the game's best coaches."

Weekly Top 8 teams

Old
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
zeppelin97

Why do i feel so much disdain for Andy murray right now?

Old
11-09-2005, 07:30 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
The Kings then hired Andy Murray and Rosa had a fresh new opportunity and training camp and preseason to prove he has what it takes to be a successful top six forward in the NHL. He had a few call-ups (in 99-00, 02-03 and 03-04) and was hardly noticeable on the ice. There must be something about Rosa's game that didn't impress Larry Robinson or Andy Murray that much, considering the fact that a young Dustin Brown was able to make the team, among many other rookies who made the team over Rosa.
Exactly how "noticeable on the ice" could Rosa have been? He got 3 games to show what he could do in 1999/2000, 2 games in 2002/3, and 2 games in 2003/4. Last season, he had a goal and an assist in his 2 games. That's double the points that Anson Carter had in 15 games - only 3 less than Dustin Brown had in 31 games. It was one point less than Straka had in his final 14 games with the Kings.

Considering the piss poor performances by some of the Kings, I don't consider 2 games a reasonable chance.

The Kings didn't have any other option but keep Dustin Brown on the roster once he had played in 10 games - they couldn't send him back to juniors and he wasn't old enough for the AHL. Many of us thought that the Kings made a mistake - fortunately it doesn't seem to have hurt his development.

Old
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
The Kings didn't have any other option but keep Dustin Brown on the roster once he had played in 10 games - they couldn't send him back to juniors and he wasn't old enough for the AHL. Many of us thought that the Kings made a mistake - fortunately it doesn't seem to have hurt his development.
Dustin will be an impact player in this league long after Lehoux.

Old
11-09-2005, 11:22 PM
danaluvsthekings

My opinion on the whole Lehoux incident is Lehoux took the easy way out.

I'll admit for a young player like Lehoux and Cammalleri watching what happened with Rosa probably has affected their thinking about the organization.

But there also is a point where you need to stand up and admit responsibility for your own actions. Lehoux's first two years in Manchester the Kings coaching staff told him he needed to work on his defensive responsibilities. They weren't trying to make him into a Selke candidate or anything. I also don't think that asking players to be somewhat defensively responsible is a bad thing. When the two years in LA passed with all the injuries and no callup for Lehoux, the lightbulb should have gone on in his head that "hey, maybe I should try doing what the NHL club wants me to do so I'll get a chance in the NHL." I will say that I listened to a lot of Monarchs games last year and Lehoux was playing much better last season before the injury.

I don't think Lehoux was greedy for taking the $1 mil offer from the Russian team. Where he was greedy was demanding a 1 way offer from the Kings when he didn't deserve it. I'm sure after his deal in Russia fell through his agent told him exactly what would happen if he stayed in Europe. They were guessing LA would either get hit by injuries or need depth in Manchester with so many of their forwards in LA this year and LA might come crawling back to them with a one way offer. They knew if they stayed in Europe after the start of the NHL season that the waiver rule would apply and that odds are, someone would take a chance on him. Especially with the rule that the team losing a guy on waivers is responsible for half the salary. They were able to use the rules to their advantage and that's fine I guess.

What I personally would have liked to see from Lehoux is some sort of taking responsibility for his own actions. Instead of bolting to Europe he could have said "Fine, I'm going to take their two way offer but I'm going to go to camp, have an awesome camp and force them to make some very tough roster decisions." He chose the easier path which was going to Europe and waiting for a chance where he knew the odds were pretty good that he'd end up in some other organization. Rather than prove himself in training camp, battling with guys like Cammalleri and Brown for a roster spot, he used Europe as a tool to hopefully get away from the organization that had spent a lot of time trying to develop him into an NHL player. To me it shows Lehoux's true character.

Old
11-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings

I'll admit for a young player like Lehoux and Cammalleri watching what happened with Rosa probably has affected their thinking about the organization.

But there also is a point where you need to stand up and admit responsibility for your own actions. Lehoux's first two years in Manchester the Kings coaching staff told him he needed to work on his defensive responsibilities. They weren't trying to make him into a Selke candidate or anything. I also don't think that asking players to be somewhat defensively responsible is a bad thing. When the two years in LA passed with all the injuries and no callup for Lehoux, the lightbulb should have gone on in his head that "hey, maybe I should try doing what the NHL club wants me to do so I'll get a chance in the NHL." I will say that I listened to a lot of Monarchs games last year and Lehoux was playing much better last season before the injury.

I don't think Lehoux was greedy for taking the $1 mil offer from the Russian team. Where he was greedy was demanding a 1 way offer from the Kings when he didn't deserve it. I'm sure after his deal in Russia fell through his agent told him exactly what would happen if he stayed in Europe. They were guessing LA would either get hit by injuries or need depth in Manchester with so many of their forwards in LA this year and LA might come crawling back to them with a one way offer. They knew if they stayed in Europe after the start of the NHL season that the waiver rule would apply and that odds are, someone would take a chance on him. Especially with the rule that the team losing a guy on waivers is responsible for half the salary. They were able to use the rules to their advantage and that's fine I guess.

What I personally would have liked to see from Lehoux is some sort of taking responsibility for his own actions. Instead of bolting to Europe he could have said "Fine, I'm going to take their two way offer but I'm going to go to camp, have an awesome camp and force them to make some very tough roster decisions." He chose the easier path which was going to Europe and waiting for a chance where he knew the odds were pretty good that he'd end up in some other organization. Rather than prove himself in training camp, battling with guys like Cammalleri and Brown for a roster spot, he used Europe as a tool to hopefully get away from the organization that had spent a lot of time trying to develop him into an NHL player. To me it shows Lehoux's true character.
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Old
11-10-2005, 06:41 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings

I agree with you for the most part however you lose me with your closing statement because it seems as though you are implying that Lehoux somehow "owed" the Kings something. Lehoux isn't some kid that went undrafted and the Kings found wasting away in the UHL or other minor league and were giving him a big break. He was drafted in the third round and it's likely if the Kings hadn't drafted him he would have been picked-up by Ottowa, Colorado or Nashville who followed the Kings in the 2000 draft. I think it's safe to assume that players drafted in the first three rounds are going to be drafted regardless of the laundry they end up in...

If we were discussing Jeff Giuliano (undrafted) or Noah Clarke, 9th-round local kid that could have just as easily gone undrafted in 1999 rather than going to the Kings with the 250th pick overall, or Dan Welch, who the Kings drafted in the 8th round with the 245th overall pick and had academic problems at the U of Minn so the Kings brought him into the system, then to a degree, I think those are the type of guys that maybe owe something to the Kings...

As far as his defensive play goes, EVERY pre-draft scouting report I've ever read on Lehoux clearly indicated that he was pure offense. The Kings knew there was no D in Lehoux when he was drafted. Then when Lehoux gets into the system all we read on all the message boards is that he doesn't play enough of a defensive game. He never did and the Kings certainly knew that going into it. So now people are looking at his not getting a call-up in his first two seasons and pointing directly at him and saying it's his fault, he didn't want to play with more defensive responsibility. I don't think it's that he didn't want to play the system, rather that he was trying to learn the system. These things take time...

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-10-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Closed Thread