HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Murray

Old
08-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
The way Murray plays the game reminds me more of a soccer player than most NHL defensemen. He utilizes his positioning well, is able to see the entirety of the ice, and he makes very good outlet passes.

Here's an example of Bayern Munich's captain Philip Lahm who plays as a center defensive midfielder. Lahm is the conduit through which much of Bayern's offensive game flows and he is known for both his passing and defensive positioning.

Last edited by Crede777: 08-01-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2015, 10:06 AM
major major

I look forward to a day that we can actually make Murray highlight videos that are as impressive as Philipp Lahm's. Murray didn't play enough last season, and when he did play last year he wasn't at full speed. I'm hopeful for this year but let's not count the chickens until they hatch.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2015, 12:07 PM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

I'd like to say this year is do or die imo for murray, but knowing his history I'm afraid of which way he'd go.

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Johansen2Foligno

Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?

Johansen2Foligno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansen2Foligno View Post

He's like our own little Jack Johnson.

Wait...

Old
08-01-2015, 03:59 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStorm45 View Post
He was never billed as a "game changer." The reason he went so high and had some hype that year is because he plays a solid, all-around game. You may not notice him every shift, but that's a compliment. He makes the right plays, does the little things right, and you very rarely have to worry about him in any situation. I'm looking forward to seeing how he starts out this year and if he can be that #1 "do it all" kind of guy the team needs.
This is wAs what I was thinking too. I mentioned on Twitter a few weeks ago that the team lacked that "game changer" and Mixer himself (I can find the tweet, probably) said that Murray was the game changer. I said I thought he could be a good top pairing guy (assuming he could stay healthy) but he lacked several qualities I see in the "game changing" defenseman.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2015, 04:54 PM
blahblah

The term "game changer" is a bit vague. He might NOT have the same offensive upside as a guy like Karlsson; he can make elite plays in all zones. His upside is certainly top pairing and maybe franchise d-man. That's "game changer" enough to me. He just needs to stay healthy.

Last edited by blahblah: 11-17-2015 at 09:16 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2015, 01:35 AM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonesJenner View Post
I still think he has 40-50pt potential, PP, PK, ES. If he can stay healthy i think 22-25 min/game is what we should ne expecting
Quote:
This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with everything you said. I seriously believe a healthy Murray puts up 40-55pts.

And as to him having game changing abilities. . . Well this video speaks for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansen2Foligno View Post

Just like I've been saying. Murray is on pace to quietly hit 40 points (just under if you wanna be exact). And that's on a team that's 6-12, imagine if the team hit their potential as a whole. And only in the last few games has he seen his minutes fall below 20 and even then he still was contributing.

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2016, 01:00 PM
Cyclones Rock

Interesting article about the 2012 draft:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...yakupov-start/

Quote:
But that morning proceeded strangely. Head amateur scout Stu MacGregor would ask the scouts to vote, and then he would leave the room. He’d come back with some alternate criteria to describe the type of player the Oilers wanted to choose, and they’d vote again.

Every time, the vote came back the same. Nine votes for defenceman Ryan Murray, and two for Nail Yakupov. Truth be told, one of those Yakupov votes had started as a vote for Alex Galchenyuk, then morphed into support for Yakupov.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2016, 11:32 AM
DHHJ

Ryan Murray

Does anyone know who the agent is for Ryan Murray? Thanks for any help!

DHHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2016, 11:36 AM
SavesEmNot

Rick Valette

SavesEmNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Guess who just finished up a season in which he played all 82 games?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2016, 11:46 PM
KlichkoBro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
He could do better. Eric Staal and Jamie McGinn have played 83 games.

KlichkoBro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2016, 08:59 AM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
He needs to give the name of his dr. to bob.

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2016, 06:51 AM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

So does anyone here think Morgan Rielly is a better skater than Murray. Having a discussion in the Morgan Rielly thread on the mains and Toronto fans have this notion that Rielly is on a whole tier above Murray when it comes to skating

Old
09-14-2016, 08:08 AM
stevo61

Quote:
So does anyone here think Morgan Rielly is a better skater than Murray. Having a discussion in the Morgan Rielly thread on the mains and Toronto fans have this notion that Rielly is on a whole tier above Murray when it comes to skating
last year Reilly probably was a better skater because Murray looked like he lost a step after the injuries.
Now however hes been healthy for over a year and had a healthy offseason and looks great. Hes one of those effortless skaters who all around is better then Reilly. Straight line speed might be Reilly though

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2016, 08:20 AM
cslebn

Quote:
Better skater really needs definition. Reilly can fly in a way we don't see Murray do, though part of that is play style as well.

Either way, even if you have empirical physical measurements you would still have better luck arguing with paint to dry faster than with some fans on the Mains.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2016, 08:39 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
First, everything in Toronto and what they have is better. Don't believe me? Just ask them.

Second, before last season Ryan Murray had played 78 NHL games. As noted earlier in this thread he played in 82 for a now career total of 160.

I have read several articles devoted to prospect development state that NHL defense men need between 200 and 250 games to fully learn and adjust to their responsibility. When last season started only Jack Johnson and Fedor Tuytin were over that imaginary mark. Everybody else was below.

Going into the 15-16 season here was the D-man games experience:

Tyutin - 742
Johnson - 569
Savard - 156
Prout - 145
Connauton - 125
Murray - 78
Goloubef - 53

Going into the 16-17 season here is the experience for the D-men:

Johnson - 629
Jones - 240 (was 159 at this time last year)
Savard - 221
Prout - 209
Murray - 160
Goloubef - 96
Werenski - 0

You are free to debate the 200 - 250 game experience theory. For this post let's just accept it and split the difference and say 225 is about right.

Last year the CBJ had 5 guys well below that number. This year there are 3 well below and 2 right on that "Mendoza line".

It is this reason that I believe about January of 2017, the CBJ defense will round into something that has never before been seen in Columbus. I would expect the goals against average for January - February - March to be approximately -0.25 less than October - November - December.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2016, 11:27 AM
major major

I don't recall Murray being a better skater than Rielly even prior to Murray's knee setback.

I haven't seen him this week to comment on whether he re-gained his step. It would be a huge deal for the Jackets if he did.

Old
09-14-2016, 03:21 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
Better skater really needs definition. Reilly can fly in a way we don't see Murray do, though part of that is play style as well.

Either way, even if you have empirical physical measurements you would still have better luck arguing with paint to dry faster than with some fans on the Mains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I don't recall Murray being a better skater than Rielly even prior to Murray's knee setback.

I haven't seen him this week to comment on whether he re-gained his step. It would be a huge deal for the Jackets if he did.

My argument is that skating isn't all about speed, especially playing defense. It's the right combination of speed, agility and being able to control your gaps. Murray isn't going to win any speed races, but he's not going to get blown by on the rush either.

Old
10-10-2016, 11:30 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

It has been just over 1,500 days since Edmonton selected Nail Yakupov 1st overall and Columbus selected Ryan Murray 2nd over all (June 2012). Yakupov was traded over the weekend. I wonder how many of those 1,500 days Edmonton wished they had chosen Ryan Murray.

In fact, in the 2012 draft, here are the defensemen taken IN THE TOP 10 PICKS; Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Reilly, Hampus Lindholm, Matt Dumba, Derrick Pouliott, Jacob Trouba, Slater Koekkoek.

If they absolutely had to have a winger, they could have traded to 16 for Tom Wilson, trade to 18 and gotten Teuvo Teravainen or trade to 30 and gotten Tanner Pearson.

They chose The Nail - and they got Hammered!

In 1,500 days Columbus could look like buffoons for selecting PLD and passing on Jesse P. AT the time of the draft and the days thereafter this summer, it probably hurt for us fans that the CBJ brass went they way they did. My point to all of this is that Edmonton hasn't exactly eaten the CBJ's lunch and stolen their money in all such matters.

Old
10-10-2016, 01:13 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
In 1,500 days Columbus could look like buffoons for selecting PLD and passing on Jesse P. AT the time of the draft and the days thereafter this summer, it probably hurt for us fans that the CBJ brass went they way they did. My point to all of this is that Edmonton hasn't exactly eaten the CBJ's lunch and stolen their money in all such matters.
I thought you were going the other way with this.

Because Edmonton's scouts didn't want Yakupov. It was ownership that stepped in and said, "no seriously, don't be an idiot, take the sniper, he's consensus #1".

And quite obviously, Jarmo listens to his scouts more than the public consensus.

Old
10-10-2016, 01:41 PM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

Quote:
I thought you were going the other way with this.

Because Edmonton's scouts didn't want Yakupov. It was ownership that stepped in and said, "no seriously, don't be an idiot, take the sniper, he's consensus #1".
I did not know there was a "split-decision" on the selection. Is there a source you can cite?

I'll assume the quote is simply your paraphrase of this situation.

Old
10-10-2016, 01:52 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
I did not know there was a "split-decision" on the selection. Is there a source you can cite?

I'll assume the quote is simply your paraphrase of this situation.
You can read this devastating report.

A 9-2 majority of Oilers scouts voted to draft Murray.

Old
10-10-2016, 04:03 PM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

Quote:
You can read this devastating report.

A 9-2 majority of Oilers scouts voted to draft Murray.
Thanks. Fascinating.